HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 723 85.97%
were just asking for too much 118 14.03%
Voters: 841. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_1971 View Post
Absoutely it can.
I had few nice vid, look e.g. here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790g...e_gdata_player
Nice Video !
I will be giving it a try as well
IndiaHobby is offline Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
Crash Expert
United States, MN, Circle Pines
Joined Oct 2012
117 Posts
WOOHOO! 2S brushless conversion completed! This thing hauls..even with my 300mah battery!

Pics for those interested. Many things needed repair after first flight/crash. Tail needs stabilizer, my wings needed better stabilizing too. First time I put carbon in there, I didn't do it quite right. Remember to turn the throws down a little if you do change to BL.

Motorbikebruno is online now Find More Posts by Motorbikebruno
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,283 Posts
Nice workin there....

tought you have to tell us how it works.. 65g is 25g more than stock.. thats a 60% more weight than stock.. i dont know how it will handle it.. the increase in power will certainly make it climb way better and go way faster no doubt.. but the increase in wing loading should make it more nervous and nasty in low speed stalls..

in theory.. as i said maybe at the hour of real flight it just flies fine.. i have birds that dont like at all extra weight.. and others that even after a 70% weight increase they just fly the same.

Changing topic.. im having an unexpected problem with this plane...

As you know the fuselage halfs are joined together by clear tape... problem is.. with soft impacts the tape is riping of with paint.. so it wont stick again.. and putting more tape means more paint ripped... in short: i dont know where to fix the front fuselage since if i stick it to paint.. when it has some minor crash or strees the tape rips away along the paint..
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,071 Posts
I know that my t-28 can fly on a failing stock motor with a foam dart slung underneath. It could even fly with a popsicle stick helping hold the dart in place, but had a nasty tendancy to spin if you banked over too much. It should be able to carry more wieght on bl.
I am considering a BL converscion for my t-28. I could use the leftover rx, servos, and motor from my scrapped v1 sbach and go from there.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:16 PM
Crash Expert
United States, MN, Circle Pines
Joined Oct 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Nice workin there....

tought you have to tell us how it works.. 65g is 25g more than stock.. thats a 60% more weight than stock.. i dont know how it will handle it.. the increase in power will certainly make it climb way better and go way faster no doubt.. but the increase in wing loading should make it more nervous and nasty in low speed stalls..

in theory.. as i said maybe at the hour of real flight it just flies fine.. i have birds that dont like at all extra weight.. and others that even after a 70% weight increase they just fly the same.

I had the battery a bit far forward, so if I let off power, she would nose down a bit, so I have to play with CG a little more. I did however find that my vertical stabilizer was in two pcs and flopping about, which didn't help much with that first flight. Secondly, my wings were NOT braced correctly (just fixed this today) but other than that, it flew relatively well and I enjoyed the hell out of the extra speed, she climbed away without any problems Can't wait to take her out again now that all of my stabilizing issues have been fixed. It will be like a whole new plane!

Here's the "data" from HK
Test data:
5030 prop (Recommended)
Voltage: 7V
Current: 2.8A
Thrust: 110g

For 70g 3D airplane and 120g normal flying.
Motorbikebruno is online now Find More Posts by Motorbikebruno
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
I am going 1s brushless in a Sukhoi. Cut up a old MCPX frame and turned it into a gearbox. Threw a AEO com5 in it with a 8t pinion. Have a 9t to ad more rpms too. Just waiting on a xp-7amp ESC. 300mah nanos will run the bird. Might need a bigger cell for longer run times. But not sure. I like the idea of being able to make the prop shaft as long as I want for motor placement. I also will make a DIY prop adapter on the end.
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:52 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaHobby View Post
Nice Video !
I will be giving it a try as well
Just to he honest (and to avoid you to make the same mistake I made!) everything went smooth for several flights with the spycam under the belly.

Then, to avoid front wheel in the field of view, I tried to put the camera on top of the cockpit. This resulted in such an altered CG that the plane was hardly flyable. Only thing I recorded was a spectacular crash, with the camera popping up from the plane and flying around in the grass still recording... but the plane got seriously damaged in the nose I was so sad that day that I didn't upload the video. I'll have a look around my hard disk, maybe I still have the file.
Tom_1971 is online now Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:15 PM
Glad to be here...
United States, GA, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
This thing is a blast even with the stock setup!
MX5Seeker is offline Find More Posts by MX5Seeker
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
So I've not had a chance to read through this thread in its entirety, so maybe I'll find the help I need when so doing but wanted to share my story.

Got the first chance to try the UM T-28 last night. Dusk was coming quickly, and the winds were a stated 6mph on the Accuweather App.

*Side Bar: I have flown a Champ many times and have flow the T-28 on Phoenix many times - but no real life aileron experience*

Hand launched the bird with my D/R settings around 60/20 Aieron, 70/20 Elevator, and 85/15 Rudder. Bird immediately took a hard left turn, started climbing and before I could get my bearings went over a near by tree line. My heart sank. Well, the 11yo son and I proceeded through the tree line and through the tall grass/briar field that was on the other side. We found the plane in about 5 minutes, intact, with no visible issues. It was up in a tree but was easily retrieved.

Convinced to not let it get the best of me, we proceeded back out into the field (further out away from the tree line) and hand launched again. Again, immediate left and headed for the tree line. This time a tree caught it on our side of the line. Retrieved the plane, rinse/wash/repeat.

Frustrated but not willing to give up I gave it all the right aileron trim I had to give it. Hand launched again, and I finally had control. She was flying and at least somewhat doing what I was telling her. Okay - so I have a trim issue. I landed her, put my trim back to middle, and subtrimmed up to 70 to the right. Hand launched to try again. She started flying and seemed to be maybe listening - but at that moment, my phone text went off. My son tried to get my phone out of my pocket and for a split second I lost the plane. I found her flying over the tree line again. :-( I did my best while I could see her to point her toward the ground in a dive - but then lost sight of her. At this point it was starting to get dark. We looked for 25-30 minutes and had all but given up. Praying for a miracle, I was led to look in an area I was certain wasn't out far enough - and PTL, I found my plane!

So, now I have to figure out - what's up with my trim, how to fix my trim, and get her flying - without losing her again. :-( What a day!

At least to break some of that up - I was able to have fun with Champ and my MQX. And for a few moments - I thought I was having fun with the UM T-28.
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:41 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
First off becuase of the dihedral, the left roll you are experiencing can be trimmed out with either aileron OR rudder. To minimize trim its often a good idea to do a little of both.
Mine did the same, i just adjusted the pushrod so that the rudder was always pointing right.

Make sure your battery is all the way forward.

Dont use subtrim, it may overdrive and lock a servo and your not going to have a nice day.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
First off becuase of the dihedral, the left roll you are experiencing can be trimmed out with either aileron OR rudder. To minimize trim its often a good idea to do a little of both.
Mine did the same, i just adjusted the pushrod so that the rudder was always pointing right.

Make sure your battery is all the way forward.

Dont use subtrim, it may overdrive and lock a servo and your not going to have a nice day.
Now that's good to know! Thanks!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:55 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
So, now I have to figure out - what's up with my trim, how to fix my trim, and get her flying - without losing her again.
Look straight at it from the front, does the wing have a twist in it?

I've got one tip twisted and keep meaning to pour hot water over it and straighten things. That should make it easier to fly level.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Look straight at it from the front, does the wing have a twist in it?

I've got one tip twisted and keep meaning to pour hot water over it and straighten things. That should make it easier to fly level.
There are no visible twists, and the ailerons and rudder looked perfectly straight on - but once trimmed right it was flying slightly better. No idea. Crummy weather, so haven't had a chance to try again.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:00 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Got a project id like to see some input on,

I want to make my T-28 into a V-tail.

Ive made v-tails before, but only on air hog ships!

I realize that im going to need to average twice the throw if i want equal throw on the elevator since i want my v-tails at 30-60 degrees.

What im most worried about is the incidence of the tail.

I was thinking to just use the current H stab and slice it in two, any other thoughts or ideas?

Im just a slut for v-tails.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Last edited by airpower; Dec 08, 2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:32 AM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,021 Posts
I also like the "V"
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc