HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 713 86.01%
were just asking for too much 116 13.99%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
985 Posts
If the brick flashes the t28 usually had a loss of signal. Make sure your TX batteries are good first!
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:40 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
yeah, batteries were new. i plugged the same plane battery up to my corsair along with the same motor and gearbox. no cutting out. hooked up the same motor/gearbox and battery to the t-28 and it'll run for about 45 seconds, then starts cutting out and then dies. when it dies, the esc shuts down, led flashes and then resets. maybe a bad esc. i thought it may be the plane battery, i have 11 of them, so i swapped batteries about 5 times and it still does it.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:03 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
How cold was it? Cold saps the power out of batteries.

Also could be the motor, pager motors tend to lvc earlier and earlier when they go off the cliff.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:51 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
was around 60 today while out flying, around 70 in the house when i was testing on the bench. the motor is brand new, the gearbox is new. 8 of the batteries were given to me, not sure on their age, and these cheap rtf chargers don't have a way to check them. 3 of the batteries are new. i checked the plane with both the older and the new batteries, same thing happens.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:08 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
These escs dont burn out unless you use a far hungrier power setup.

Honestly its probably those batteries or more likely your motor, just sometimes even new these motors arent any good. If its really new HH will send you a new one.

Your prop shaft might be too tightly screwed on, make sure the prop shaft has some play to go forwards and backwards a bit.

Does the prop spin easily with your finger?

The other possibility is the charger. Since you are using the rtf charger, it may just be as simple as replacing the batteries in the charger. When you take the battery out, does the red light stay on?

That must be the issue.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
the prop spins easily with my finger. i have two new motors, both do the same thing. i have 4 of the chargers, the red light goes out when i remove the battery after charge.

i'm thinking that the older plane batteries are just not holding a charge very good. i ran the plane this morning for 3 minutes (on one of my new batteries) and it seems fine today.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
985 Posts
Yeah come to think of it I had my batteries do that where they'd work in my mSR than not in my t-28 and vice verse
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
188 Posts
Does anyone have pix of a T-28 2S conversion? I've got a cart full of AS3X parts from the new SBach, along with new fuselage parts for the T-28 to make one...curious if the firewall obstructs the nose gear as posted a few pages back.

Thanks!
sg
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
Crash Expert
United States, MN, Circle Pines
Joined Oct 2012
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
Keep on tweak'n'!.
Gee from here the tail feathers look small.
What is the ratio of fuse l to wing spand?
Angle of wing incidence?
Not that I have done a scratch built in the last 40 years. But those things all made a big difference.
what is the trouble?
Torque roll?
Keep at it man! Very cool!
Got a start on the back burner. Balsa build, old school tisue / dope, mixed with new lipo / Brushless gear.
50 years ago we were looking for better rubber bands, or even any we could find! Chris
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I never noticed how SMALL the tail feathers were until you pointed it out. Looking at the pic...they are half the size of the typhoon's....

At first the problem was that it would shoot straight up on takeoff, as though it was trying to 3D or something...then roll over and die! The typhoon just torque rolls itself to death, learning how to be smoother on the throttle. I miss my T-28 waiting on the brushless stuff from china stinks
Motorbikebruno is offline Find More Posts by Motorbikebruno
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:51 PM
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
How good are they in the wind. I have several planes but none of them are too great in any wind. Havent flew my liitle T yet.
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:22 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
985 Posts
Mine with the xtra weight of glue handles pretty good in light wind. Still quite manageable.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:31 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
Its good in wind becuase of its self-righting and solid control, especially with a nice tx.

Dont expect too much, id say its fun up to around 10-15mph.

I never flew it much, have too many other awesome planes, but i just installed sf design solutions lights, so i can fly it at night in the street, and there's hardly any wind at night!
Now it takes up almost a third of my flights!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:51 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,183 Posts
my two girls at rest.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
985 Posts
I just bought these for a BL upgrade...hope they will work. The esc will work on 1s so it will be interesting to try to say the least.
motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6312
and the esc:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17639
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,193 Posts
I took the T28 for some flights the other day taking the chance that we had the very rare no-wind day and took the T28 in the trunk as in all the year i only had flown it once (yes its sad) ... i had forgot how well this flies in no wind.. and how fun is to play going between poles and small obstacles or doing touch and gos in the sidewalk.. actually it derived in a funny incident ..i come to close to a lightpole that when i veered off to pass on once side one of the main landing gears came off (i landed it on the grass to avoid scrapping).

Last friday i decided to try to put a 808# camera with a fisheye lens mod.. The Champ can carry it quite well so i tought the T-28 would do as well since i had allready flown with a 25g battery in wind (a 808 weights 16g.. maybe 25/26g with the lens? ..plus standard batt)

wrong idea..

As i was going to take off a light breeze began blowing.. "well it should manage it..it should make take off easier" ... not so.. it took an awfull long to take off and when it did it began droping despite being head-on to wind.. i had to use near full throotle to maintain it in the air... and then mother nature betrayed me.. wind got stronger rather fast ...i turned it back and as soon as it had the wind on tail it droped ... despite going on full throotle i simple had no enought air over the wings or power to raise the heavy combo... it hitted a wall .. Oddly no damage at all.. but the camera and lens came detached on inpact and got lost in literally 1 square metter of grass..

it took me 2 hours of search of that square metter to find both

So next time i need a micro plane to record video it would be the Champ again.. or i can buy a mini-skywalker (they are quite cheap)

still lookin forward for some no-wind days to play with the T-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
I just bought these for a BL upgrade...hope they will work. The esc will work on 1s so it will be interesting to try to say the least.
motor:
Well i think standard motor was said here to be arround 5500rpm in stock configuration... the motor you signal is 2000Kv wich with a 1S lipo means it can go up to 8000rpm-ish ... considering how voltage fals fast to 3.5/3.7V under load i say it should be doing high 7000s ...wich should be more than the stock config ...

the issue would be batteries ... 160mAh batteries fall a lot over 1.5A load.. this motor/ESC can go up to +2A ... maybe using a 250mAh batt would do better..

Be aware that the recomended prop for the motor you say its a 4X2.5 ... i think the stock is 5X2.5 so maybe it can go overpower?
In any case it anounces 90g thrust.. that almost a power to weight ratio of 2:1 ..it should go unlimited vertical easy
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi