HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 725 86.00%
were just asking for too much 118 14.00%
Voters: 843. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
I fly Ember (and new mini Ember when it arrives) Champ and HZ Albatros in gym. My old thumbs may not be quick enough for t-28 AND p-51 indoors, will also break out some heli's.
Tim
In doors always throws me.
Lighting were I fly sucks.
Naturally helies, but I love planks.
Vapor can stay very close. Less than 1/2 court.
My fave is a hopped up Champ. T -28 keeps me on my toes and uses 3 full courts.
Mustang gets me in trouble.
The little albatros is a winner.
Experienced guys are flying the gws pico tigermoth and simler size bipes in the same space.
the experts are flying large flat out 3D units.
I make do with the um 4-site.
In door ceased being fun for me.
There was a movie were surfers followed the weather. Good idea!
Have fun! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:28 AM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i'm hoping replacing the motor will give it some more pep. i got this plane from a friend that said he couldn't fly. no telling how long it and set, or how old it really is. all i know is the wing and tail feathers were broke. i replaced all that, and it's a great flyer, but it won't do a loop to save its life. it just pitches up about 45*, almost stops, then falls over.

it just seems very weak in power. sometimes (getting more and more often) i gotta give the prop a little spin to get the motor running. usually a sign of motor going bad. gear mesh is good, and gears are clean.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
i'm hoping replacing the motor will give it some more pep. i got this plane from a friend that said he couldn't fly. no telling how long it and set, or how old it really is. all i know is the wing and tail feathers were broke. i replaced all that, and it's a great flyer, but it won't do a loop to save its life. it just pitches up about 45*, almost stops, then falls over.

it just seems very weak in power. sometimes (getting more and more often) i gotta give the prop a little spin to get the motor running. usually a sign of motor going bad. gear mesh is good, and gears are clean.
The stock motor works fine for simple aerobatics like loops and your LHS should have them for under $15. If you want something a little more peppy, RCBabbel (he's on the forums here, check his blog) has some XS motors which I recently used. A bit more power, but supposedly much longer lifespan - since I just installed, you'll have to wait until 2014 for me to confirm.

You might also move the push rod in to get a little more elevator authority. Just watch that the U doesn't get obstructed by hitting the underside of the elevator.
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:01 PM
Crash Expert
United States, MN, Circle Pines
Joined Oct 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post

I ordered up my 2s conversion parts, so I'll post happily when it arrives..until then..

On a sad note, I can't fly while I wait, the motor finally gave out
Motorbikebruno is offline Find More Posts by Motorbikebruno
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbikebruno View Post
I ordered up my 2s conversion parts, so I'll post happily when it arrives..until then..

On a sad note, I can't fly while I wait, the motor finally gave out
Good luck in there. I wonder if there is room for the nose gear.
Definitly move the rods in!
You can get a free flight rubberband powered Gillows to get a fix!
Chris
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:22 AM
Crash Expert
United States, MN, Circle Pines
Joined Oct 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
Good luck in there. I wonder if there is room for the nose gear.
Definitly move the rods in!
You can get a free flight rubberband powered Gillows to get a fix!
Chris

I will take note of the nose gear. I really enjoy using it to taxi around so I'll do my best to keep it in there.

As for my fix...got me a typhoon that I fixed up after I crashed it on maiden...5 seconds of good quality LEARNING. And this scratchbuilt foamy that I can't seem to get to fly. I'll keep tweaking until it does!

Motorbikebruno is offline Find More Posts by Motorbikebruno
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbikebruno View Post
I will take note of the nose gear. I really enjoy using it to taxi around so I'll do my best to keep it in there.

As for my fix...got me a typhoon that I fixed up after I crashed it on maiden...5 seconds of good quality LEARNING. And this scratchbuilt foamy that I can't seem to get to fly. I'll keep tweaking until it does!

Keep on tweak'n'!.
Gee from here the tail feathers look small.
What is the ratio of fuse l to wing spand?
Angle of wing incidence?
Not that I have done a scratch built in the last 40 years. But those things all made a big difference.
what is the trouble?
Torque roll?
Keep at it man! Very cool!
Got a start on the back burner. Balsa build, old school tisue / dope, mixed with new lipo / Brushless gear.
50 years ago we were looking for better rubber bands, or even any we could find! Chris
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:10 PM
Billy D
United States, PA, Monaca
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
I put a new battery lead on my t-28 and now there is no rudder or elevator they are stuck in full extreme positions. But the ailerons and the motor still work? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! hopefully just a reset of some sort. Ca,t afford a new reciever right now!
sathanas2 is offline Find More Posts by sathanas2
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathanas2 View Post
I put a new battery lead on my t-28 and now there is no rudder or elevator they are stuck in full extreme positions. But the ailerons and the motor still work? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! hopefully just a reset of some sort. Ca,t afford a new reciever right now!
Without knowing more about your rework, I am guessing that the battery polarity was reversed when the Lipo was first connected to the Brick and thus damaged several of the transistors that drive the servos.

Easy enough to test the transistors by manually recentering the servo arms then connect battery and if they run to the extremes again the parts are toast.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
Without knowing more about your rework, I am guessing that the battery polarity was reversed when the Lipo was first connected to the Brick and thus damaged several of the transistors that drive the servos.

Easy enough to test the transistors by manually recentering the servo arms then connect battery and if they run to the extremes again the parts are toast.
Yikes! it happens.
Have a um mustang were only one servo did this.
Call Horizon Support. Good Luck Chris
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:52 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
wamp, love that typhoon! sweet! going to cut open my micro t-28 AGAIN!!!!! going to lube the servos with fader lube and limit throws even more. stupid ailerons caused a crash of a almost mint plane and broke the motor mount or something! so pissed! i really want to try a last ditch effort to save this plane but.... i just maidened my BEAST tonight so im not too pressed!
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
283 Posts
I finally got to fly my micro T-28 today. I've had it for a week or two but have been waiting out the high winds, rain, and everything else the hurricane threw our way. I let my brother trim it out and he ran the first battery out. My turn was going good for 4 or 5 minutes and then it ended up in a pine tree. The ball park we fly in is surrounded by a couple of pine trees and that one had my name on it. It was a soft "landing". I tried shaking the lower branches but it wouldn't budge. I had to poke it out with an aluminum pole that I had down home. I did run another battery through it and like the plane much better than the Spitfire at this point in my fledgling flying career.
JudahBenHur is online now Find More Posts by JudahBenHur
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
wamp, love that typhoon! sweet! going to cut open my micro t-28 AGAIN!!!!! going to lube the servos with fader lube and limit throws even more. stupid ailerons caused a crash of a almost mint plane and broke the motor mount or something! so pissed! i really want to try a last ditch effort to save this plane but.... i just maidened my BEAST tonight so im not too pressed!
Dude! I got that servo sitting on my desk, and I need to get it in the mail! Been busy and all those excuses. PM me your address...
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Have almost done a Beast a few times. Waited for the Carbon Cub, then changed my mind after reading about the qc.
Did a Millennium SSX instead.
would love to see a brushless T-28 with a 21" ws! Chris
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
well my t-28 had a rough day. my motor had been acting up, so i put a new motor in it (stock). after this i noticed that it would sorta cut out a little and if i gave it full throttle it would cut in/out and then quit!! the esc would flash for a couple seconds and then reset. this was all on the workbench. well i had a new gearbox (noticed a little slop in the old one) so i changed the gearbox. on the workbench it ran good then.

today i took it out, on the first flight just after launch (hand launch) it cut out and belly landed. well i swapped batteries (not sure if the first one was charged or not), and the second flight it went about 50 feet, cut out, rolled over, and augered in on the concrete. broke the cowl off just behind the motor mount, broke a chunk out of the side of the fuse. i can fix it, but not sure what is causing the motor to cut out and the esc to reset like its doing.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150