SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
I ve got to get mine out of the hangar. I'm so into my Sbach and Beast, but I do remember how relaxing and fun it is to fly the T-28, especially on a calm evening with sunset clouds.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
aaaah man, dang plane catcher got me!!

yesterdays twilight sortie out back for the g'kids didn't end well... was showing them the cool (and really bright!) micro LEDs I installed recently and while making final turn to line up for landing.... BAM! doggone tree branch about 50' up reached out and snagged the T-28

fortunately its been fairly gusty today so I have the flightline crash crew on full alert in the case it drops

aint nuthin sadder or can make me more madder then to see it up in the tree

one of my fav UM's... it's a little over a year ol and endless amount of flights on her and not the tiniest of scratches on her... hate to think of what it will look like after dropping from the tree from the wind knocking it loose or potential damage I might cause if I try to retrieve it

I'll check on it off & on in between f'ball games I guess

Wow...and just after the light mod! If only we had trained plane retrieving squirrels.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:17 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,228 Posts
LOL

heeey, wait, that's a great idea!

I even locked my dogs up just in case it drops and they wanna snack when I'm not lookin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Wow...and just after the light mod! If only we had trained plane retrieving squirrels.
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
This is the little fellow you need to get your plane back.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:48 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,003 Posts
Leaf blower with a 10-foot pvc pipe extension, necked down to 1-inch to get a velocity increase?
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hand toss Avro Vulcan
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
It is easier to cast a fishing line with a weight and start shaking a neighboring branch. The trained squirrels are too difficult. They always want your nuts.
pherz is offline Find More Posts by pherz
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:57 AM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pherz View Post
It is easier to cast a fishing line with a weight and start shaking a neighboring branch. The trained squirrels are too difficult. They always want your nuts.
Lmfao!
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:57 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Heck! when you were puttin' that big red arrow up there why didn't you get the plane!
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Funniest bunch of posts I've seen in a long time.
Mike
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:43 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,228 Posts
hahaha yaa, funny stuff guys!!

so get this.... since the dang squirrels kept grabbin' my nuts whilst tryin' to train them, I gave up on that idea and broke out the 24' extension ladder and grabbed some duck tape and a 15' ceiling light bulb replacement pole gizmo and headed out for a recovery effort

went up a few times over a few hours... ea time getting a little more daring (or stupid) and goin' higher/farther up the rungs...reaching, stretching, almost slipping off the ladder a couple times

late in the day after about the 3rd attempt at that point I found myself leaning waaay out from the ladder then I should while holding a branch just within reach to steady myself and with the probably 25' of pole with the other hand trying to reach it... finding I was maybe 6" away from it.... then my wife comes out to check on me and she scolds me (rightly so)... I asked her if she had her cell phone on her, she says no, I toss mine down to her and she asked what she's supposed to do with it so I say it's to call 911 after I fall cuz I won't be able too LOL

somehow I talked her into standing on the base of the ladder that's at about a 45* angle because I was just about to step on the second to last rung, but I didn't tell her that ... so I get up on the rung .... reaching, stretching... can't get it... the the 'voice of reason' spoke loud and clear... 'this is the last time I'm tellin' you, get the freak off this ladder, now!'... so I obeyed... ...and I'll be danged if as soon as I stepped back onto the yard that little T-28 dropped outta the tree and I swear, it did what looked like on purpose, an almost perfect glide out onto the yard and landed on her gears!!!

virtually unscathed... a couple minuscule scratches from the branches while it was held hostage in the tree from the pine needles and such... couldn't be more pleased!!

the morale of the story is twofold:

the things we do for love

&

things NOT to try at home

HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:13 AM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,030 Posts
OMG! I am so glad you listened! That looks pretty dangerous! Even for a younger lad!
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
hahaha yaa, funny stuff guys!!

so get this.... since the dang squirrels kept grabbin' my nuts whilst tryin' to train them, I gave up on that idea and broke out the 24' extension ladder and grabbed some duck tape and a 15' ceiling light bulb replacement pole gizmo and headed out for a recovery effort

went up a few times over a few hours... ea time getting a little more daring (or stupid) and goin' higher/farther up the rungs...reaching, stretching, almost slipping off the ladder a couple times

late in the day after about the 3rd attempt at that point I found myself leaning waaay out from the ladder then I should while holding a branch just within reach to steady myself and with the probably 25' of pole with the other hand trying to reach it... finding I was maybe 6" away from it.... then my wife comes out to check on me and she scolds me (rightly so)... I asked her if she had her cell phone on her, she says no, I toss mine down to her and she asked what she's supposed to do with it so I say it's to call 911 after I fall cuz I won't be able too LOL

somehow I talked her into standing on the base of the ladder that's at about a 45* angle because I was just about to step on the second to last rung, but I didn't tell her that ... so I get up on the rung .... reaching, stretching... can't get it... the the 'voice of reason' spoke loud and clear... 'this is the last time I'm tellin' you, get the freak off this ladder, now!'... so I obeyed... ...and I'll be danged if as soon as I stepped back onto the yard that little T-28 dropped outta the tree and I swear, it did what looked like on purpose, an almost perfect glide out onto the yard and landed on her gears!!!

virtually unscathed... a couple minuscule scratches from the branches while it was held hostage in the tree from the pine needles and such... couldn't be more pleased!!

the morale of the story is twofold:

the things we do for love

&

things NOT to try at home

Great story...thanks and I'm happy you got your plane back.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Isn't BMN what the BNF and PNP are?
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Lipschitz View Post
Isn't BMN what the BNF and PNP are?
BNF - bind and fly - come with a rx and sometimes a battery & charger
PNP - plug and play - you add the rx and battery
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Great story...thanks and I'm happy you got your plane back.
Funny!
Actually cut down a sick tree once to get a plane down. In to the wood stove it went!
That said I have planted hundreds of trees.
Have done all mannor of things to get planes down, including a toy bow and padded arrows,string on arrows.
Never thought of a fishing rig.
Chimney cleaning rods get wobbley out there, but they can be snaked in to places!
She thinks I'm nuts any way, so no matter what she sees now!
Safe landings. Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp