Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 723 85.97%
were just asking for too much 118 14.03%
Voters: 841. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
I had to open the fuse and cut through the decals. Horizon was nice enough to send me a new decal sheet. Do I pull the old, cut decal off or just put a new one over the old? I'm wondering if pulling off the old will take some foam with it?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I had to open the fuse and cut through the decals. Horizon was nice enough to send me a new decal sheet. Do I pull the old, cut decal off or just put a new one over the old? I'm wondering if pulling off the old will take some foam with it?
Mike
You don't need new decals. You will have to open it again some time. Instead, do what I did. Cut a length of clear packaging tape and cut it longways so it is slightly wider than a piece of regular scotch tape. Apply the strip of packaging tape over the seam (including the decals.) This is just the base for the final tape, so you want to cut the tape at the seam just like you did with the decals earlier as if you are opening up the fuse again. After cutting the packaging taped seam, now you use a piece of scotch tape over that to seal the seam.

Next time you need to get into the fuse, you just pull off the scotch tape strip. The packaging tape will keep the decals and paint nice and clean.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
I've been flying the Champ for about a couple of months and decided I'm ready to upgrade to an aileron trainer - just ordered the ultra micro T-28. Can't wait for it to arrive! Thanks for the awesome thread guys!
mukulhinge is offline Find More Posts by mukulhinge
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukulhinge View Post
I've been flying the Champ for about a couple of months and decided I'm ready to upgrade to an aileron trainer - just ordered the ultra micro T-28. Can't wait for it to arrive! Thanks for the awesome thread guys!
I went the same way about 2 weeks ago. The T-28 is way fun, but you have to keep your eye on it. When I get my Champ out now it;s just so different. Like flying a butterfly. The T -28 is more like a bee. Good luck and good flying to you.
MIke
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
You don't need new decals. You will have to open it again some time. Instead, do what I did. Cut a length of clear packaging tape and cut it longways so it is slightly wider than a piece of regular scotch tape. Apply the strip of packaging tape over the seam (including the decals.) This is just the base for the final tape, so you want to cut the tape at the seam just like you did with the decals earlier as if you are opening up the fuse again. After cutting the packaging taped seam, now you use a piece of scotch tape over that to seal the seam.

Next time you need to get into the fuse, you just pull off the scotch tape strip. The packaging tape will keep the decals and paint nice and clean.
I've done that with the rest of my fuse. Thanks for the tip! You came up with a very practical and well thought-out repair. Just had the decals and was wondering.
Mike
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,002 Posts
Quote:
I've done that with the rest of my fuse. Thanks for the tip! You came up with a very practical and well thought-out repair. Just had the decals and was wondering.
Mike
You just posted the 7715th post in this thread, I didn't come up with the double taping of the fuse seams
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:13 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Quote:
I went the same way about 2 weeks ago. The T-28 is way fun, but you have to keep your eye on it. When I get my Champ out now it;s just so different. Like flying a butterfly. The T -28 is more like a bee. Good luck and good flying to you.
MIke
You will like it! It's not necessary to fly on full throttle all the time. And keep the rudder throws low. I have 50% travel adjustment on mine ailerons. I have also mixed in rudder and elevator control, together with the ailerons. It's very easy to fly it, just relax. And it flies like it's on rails. The T28 is my relaxing plane, the Corsair is more of a handful, but fun to fly.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Thinking of getting one of these as my second plane.
Ofna411 is offline Find More Posts by Ofna411
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofna411 View Post
This little T-28 is my 3rd plane. I think it will be a handful unless you are already comfortable at flying aileron. But it's not too hard and can take some hits.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
I'm looking at some EPP models too.
Ofna411 is offline Find More Posts by Ofna411
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofna411 View Post
T-28 was my third,for all practical purposes.
Figgure Champ, Mustang, T-28.
The Mustang was a hand full and hard to see.
T-28 is not as durable or as fast, but what a dream.
It should be a great #2.
May be try cranking up the throws on Champ by moving the control rods in on the horns.
You can set low rates in you tx to approximate the old throws.
Hit high and sharpen your skills!
T-28 slows down pretty well.
May be use a bigger area to get started and be ready for a little torque roll.
Add a little up e in aileron turns.
I have all the throws I can get set particularly on the R. With both.
Good luck out there! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,002 Posts
My T-28 is my 2nd plane. That is with 4 years between my 1st and 2nd plane in which I did not have a plane. Flew a high wing tractor prop in 2006 and 2007, then nothing from 2008 until last year (so I guess 3 years.) Flew the T-28 just fine. I find it an extremely slow flyer.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
MIke
Mike, I feel the same way except I started with an Ember! If the Champ is a butterfly, the ember is like, well, an ember, and still amazing Three quite different planes and each a lot of fun.
The Ember has the J-3 Cub motor and can fully handle the extra zip!
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
Mike, I feel the same way except I started with an Ember! If the Champ is a butterfly, the ember is like, well, an ember, and still amazing Three quite different planes and each a lot of fun.
The Ember has the J-3 Cub motor and can fully handle the extra zip!
All good!
Have not tried ember, have old Vapor and J3, mainly used indoors.
Champ is an old friend! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:27 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
All good!
Have not tried ember, have old Vapor and J3, mainly used indoors.
Champ is an old friend! Chris
Wamp, I've never tried the Vapor but many who've tried both seem to think the Ember flies more like a plane and my experience is that it flies very well, even if there is a bit more than light air. I can control it and have fun, going high, cutting back on the throttle and nosing it into the wind and soaring like a gull. Then I can bring it down, and going low and slow, perform flybys at walking speed. It's a responsive plane I like to fly high and far and feel confident I'll get it home. It's my 'go to' plane a lot of the time. All that being said, I like the Champ as my best all around micro plane that invites modding and I just bought a new one so that I can go a bit wild with the old one!
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc