SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 725 86.00%
were just asking for too much 118 14.00%
Voters: 843. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:19 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I glued a 5mm hex nut inside the nose of my last T-28 and it flew straight and true. The hex nut weighed 2.1g.
After it was shredded by a carelessly-launched Radian glider prop, I took out all the guts and put them into a new fuselage (w/new wings and tail). It didn't need the 5mm nut!

I think landing gear is critical to the balance of the UM T-28. Due to its dihedral it needs the additional underside weight to help it fly true. Omitting the gear throws off the balance. I'd assume it becomes a tad top-heavy.

Just my experience - and opinion - not scientific fact!

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycaptain View Post
Looks bad as heck fly'n without the wheels... Capt'n Ron
Well now, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or something like that.

I fly both my UM P-51 and UM T-28 sans wheels. Have never flown the T-28 with wheels, our club field has fairly dense grass. Personally, I think the warbird micro's look better in the air w/o wheels, on their way to some bombing/straffing mission... I have had no balance problems flying wheel-less, and with a heavier battery.

And yes, the Hyperion 240's are a great 1S Lipo. I use them on the T-28, P-51, J-3 Cub, and the HZ UM Champ. Presently messing around with Lectron Pro 280's and 270's on the T-28.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
886 Posts
I agree with Doug Sipprell. Also flying my UM T28 without landing gear, and have never installed it. Helps that my only runway is course asphalt.

Mac,
It could be just luck of the draw, however my T28 balances nicely with 240mah cells and is my most predictable 4-channel flyer. Maybe we fly with different control feel in mind? I like a sensitive airplane that twists, rolls, and climbs quickly to my stick inputs and thus fly with a more rearward CG. Either way the T28 is a sweet plane
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I wonder if shoe goo would work? the last time I glued in a receiver, I used epoxy and I'm pretty sure that's half of what killed my old one, I couldn't get the epoxy off it to do any repairs on it.

I'm going to try something different other then epoxy next time.
I mentioned to Horizon tech that I don't have access to a LHS or big hardware stores, but I did have shoe goo in my garage. He said better to stick with RTV (gosh I hope I got that right: RTV) Silicone. He mentioned Permatex RTV Silicone as we have an ACE Hardware in town. There was a video I came upon from Horizon's site that showed cutting out and replacing receivers and gear boxes. Sure made removing the gear box look easier that it was for me. Mine was glued to the max. Flew this morning in a very faint breeze and fantastic clouds forming around our 14,000 ft volcano, Mt. Shasta. I gotta get a video camera and post some time.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
Mac,
It could be just luck of the draw, however my T28 balances nicely with 240mah cells and is my most predictable 4-channel flyer. Maybe we fly with different control feel in mind? I like a sensitive airplane that twists, rolls, and climbs quickly to my stick inputs and thus fly with a more rearward CG. Either way the T28 is a sweet plane
See, the pictures you and the other post show would send my T-28 to the scrap pile. I only have the E-Flite 150's, but it is as far forward as possible (further because of the missing chunk of foam between the nose wheel hole which I don't use and the battery area.) If I don't fly twisting, turning, and rolling, I fly at 3 inch flight level above ground Hence, I have the dime in the nose or else without that weight, the plane twitches everywhere and I'll just put a wingtip into the grass.

The pattern I fly is in from the field about 2 foot flight level to miss the high grass, then between 2 bushes about 6 feet apart, down to mere inches, then climb right at the swimming pool to hear the girls squeal as I pass over them, LOL. A sensitive airplane would either put the wingtip in the grass, or take my plane for a swim, haha.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycaptain View Post
Ahoy Shastamike! My UM t-28 wouldn't fly with the MA 190's, too tail heavy. I didn't want to add any nose weight so I cut a piece of foam from the box, stuck it in the battery slot and taped on a Hyperion 240 ma battery under it, and it flys fine now. I fly with no wheels. I wish I could get it to fly with the MA 190's I would save 2 grams of weight. Looks bad as heck fly'n without the wheels, I don't like how it drops on the turns when you are wing over wing on a turn. But I'm sure the extra 2 grams of battery weight has a lot to do with it. Capt'n Ron
Really like your avatar. I'm a big Tin Tin fan. HZ Champ reminds me of the plane that Tin Tin flew, its not the same plane though. I printed and cut out Tin Tin and Snowy and glued them to the cockpit windows so I looks like they are flying the Champ.
I fly with wheels as I really like the challenge of landing perfectly.
Mike
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I glued a 5mm hex nut inside the nose of my last T-28 and it flew straight and true. The hex nut weighed 2.1g.
After it was shredded by a carelessly-launched Radian glider prop, I took out all the guts and put them into a new fuselage (w/new wings and tail). It didn't need the 5mm nut!

I think landing gear is critical to the balance of the UM T-28. Due to its dihedral it needs the additional underside weight to help it fly true. Omitting the gear throws off the balance. I'd assume it becomes a tad top-heavy.

Just my experience - and opinion - not scientific fact!

Mac
I agree that the UM T-28 needs wheels to balance the CG correctly. I was looking for any way to get the plane to not fly so tail heavy and the wheels helped a bit. Horizon must have someone who is not setting up the propeller thrust angle correctly on some assemblies. I've heard from a couple of people who had to add weight and it's always 2-3 grams. Mine was about 2.5 grams, a lead shot for fishing line. I've since reset the gear box and plane flys much better now without the extra weight. a bit floatier at low throttle like the Champ. Still have to put the battery all the way forward and down elevator trim though.
Mike
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Well now, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or something like that.

I fly both my UM P-51 and UM T-28 sans wheels. Have never flown the T-28 with wheels, our club field has fairly dense grass. Personally, I think the warbird micro's look better in the air w/o wheels, on their way to some bombing/straffing mission... I have had no balance problems flying wheel-less, and with a heavier battery.

And yes, the Hyperion 240's are a great 1S Lipo. I use them on the T-28, P-51, J-3 Cub, and the HZ UM Champ. Presently messing around with Lectron Pro 280's and 270's on the T-28.

RD
That is just so bizarre for me to see those batteries so far back as in your photos. My plane would hover on take off. I use the Hyperion 240 for my Genius CP heli. I should convert one for the T-28 and check it out. I suppose I would only get more flight time as I already use Hyperion 160 25C batts, or do you think I would get more power also? I get 7 minutes or so on my 160's which is long enough for me.
Mike
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
See, the pictures you and the other post show would send my T-28 to the scrap pile. I only have the E-Flite 150's, but it is as far forward as possible (further because of the missing chunk of foam between the nose wheel hole which I don't use and the battery area.) If I don't fly twisting, turning, and rolling, I fly at 3 inch flight level above ground Hence, I have the dime in the nose or else without that weight, the plane twitches everywhere and I'll just put a wingtip into the grass.

The pattern I fly is in from the field about 2 foot flight level to miss the high grass, then between 2 bushes about 6 feet apart, down to mere inches, then climb right at the swimming pool to hear the girls squeal as I pass over them, LOL. A sensitive airplane would either put the wingtip in the grass, or take my plane for a swim, haha.
We must have had the same person assemble our planes as we both needed weight in the nose. Mine flew OK like that but I always wondered what it should actually fly like. Sure would be interesting to fly another UM T-28 or at least check one out at a LHS. Pretty sure I have the only one in our county. The LHS is 1hr 15mins away.
Mike
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:43 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I am seriously considering get this plane as more of a relaxing 4-channel plane. I love my P-51 and PC, but they just aren't as relaxing to fly as I assume this one would be.
I picked up a micro P-51 used as my son is flying the T-28 now. I find the P-51 a lot more sensitive and not as well of a flyer in the wind. So I would say the T-28 is more relaxing then the P-51.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
I picked up a micro P-51 used as my son is flying the T-28 now. I find the P-51 a lot more sensitive and not as well of a flyer in the wind. So I would say the T-28 is more relaxing then the P-51.
Sweet! Thank you for response.
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:33 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I use the Hyperion 240 for my Genius CP heli. I should convert one for the T-28 and check it out. I suppose I would only get more flight time as I already use Hyperion 160 25C batts, or do you think I would get more power also? I get 7 minutes or so on my 160's which is long enough for me. Mike
You might get a tad more power, due simply to the 240 cell holding it's voltage better, compared to a smaller capacity cell. I tend to fly WOT with both my T-28 and my mini-Mustangs. 10 minutes is a good flying time, sometimes more. I set the Lipo's as close to the factory CG point, put the plane on a balancer, and then move the cell for or aft to get the slight nose heavyness I desire. Thereafter, mark the battery's location. Important to me is a good straight out hand launch, with just a touch of climb-out.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
That is just so bizarre for me to see those batteries so far back as in your photos. My plane would hover on take off. I use the Hyperion 240 for my Genius CP heli. I should convert one for the T-28 and check it out. I suppose I would only get more flight time as I already use Hyperion 160 25C batts, or do you think I would get more power also? I get 7 minutes or so on my 160's which is long enough for me.
Mike
Hey folks just found this thread. Good news
Warbirds look silley with gear down out there!
95% of my UM T28 flights are sans gear. It flys better. I have only a hay field, or the road.
But touch and goes, and ground control are big fun!
160s give me plenty of flight time.
Fat 250s extend the periods when I can fly.
Just that much more wing loading (usually fly nose heavy, on windy days)
gets little T-28 up when I used to quit!
These days T-28 gets a 'cool off' rest. 7 min is a long time. Thanks Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
I third that.

When I assembled the new airframe, first thing I did was tape Cf rod along both leading edges. I do it with all my UMs right out of the box, even the F4U.

Besides stability, it saves the wing. I flew it into a set of bleachers and a chain link fence (twice) last night, no damage whatsoever. Cartwheeled it too getting fancy, again, no issues. Before the mod, I would have had a mess of tape on it by the end of the night.
Am looking at doing this, Thanks. Am in the Hilderburgs. Spend time in Sherrill.
No fences here
Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:13 AM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
my light mod with 3 blade prop

[Youtube]
T-28 UM parkzone with tiny bright lights.. (1 min 43 sec)
[Youtube]

Three blade good scale and low end power, but not a lot of speed. Lights are good enough to fly in total darkness.
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA