HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 720 86.02%
were just asking for too much 117 13.98%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:59 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Stuart Linfoot's Avatar
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by civichb98 View Post
What is the new improvement in this?
I just sent in a bad AR-6400 out of my Corsair that the dog ate, she stuck a tooth through the circuit board and Horizon sent me back a new AR-6410 free of charge

I might be wrong but I think the only difference is that the new 6410 is DSMX instead of DSM2 and it has something to do with the signal between the transmitter and receiver.

I flew my T28 again tonight in dead calm weather and it couldn't have been more perfect, coming in to land at 1/8th throttle, and the thing floats to the ground and settles on the mains first, just pull in a little up elevator just before you flair at 1/8 throttle, as soon as the mains touch, cut the throttle and the nose will come down for a perfect landing.

I really like the way this plane flys, and I got my balance set at exactly 31mm from the leading edge root of the wing.

My nephew just gave me his UMX Beast tonight, it's all beat up and busted, but I'll rebuild it and fly it, it's got that AS3X receiver in it. he said it was a nice flyer but way to much for him to handle
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:34 AM
Registered User
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I flew my T28 again tonight in dead calm weather and it couldn't have been more perfect, coming in to land at 1/8th throttle, and the thing floats to the ground and settles on the mains first, just pull in a little up elevator just before you flair at 1/8 throttle, as soon as the mains touch, cut the throttle and the nose will come down for a perfect landing.
Also finally got to fly in dead calm last night. It does fly fantastic even if my beat up old plane has a loose rudder, elevator that is not completely straight right and left sides, and the left wing is at a 5 difference than the left wing which has snapped clean off and reglued.

Only difference is the landing, I belly land. Looks and flies so much better without the wheels and I don't see the joy of having wheels on for a 10 minute flight just because it's fun to take off and land which would take only 10 seconds of my 10 minute flights.

The evening sky was perfect for letting the plane just fly away in the distance out in the back field and still be able to easily see it to bank around and come back. Normally I have to fly so close to me because of the setting sun.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Stuart Linfoot's Avatar
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
The evening sky was perfect for letting the plane just fly away in the distance out in the back field and still be able to easily see it to bank around and come back. Normally I have to fly so close to me because of the setting sun.
I did notice the plane is a little hard to see while in flight, and the first couple of time I flew it I almost crashed it due to disorientation but after toning down the control surfaces through the transmitter so it's not so touchy, I find flying it getting easier and easier.

I like the flights at dusk, now if I could just get some navigation lights on it
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:25 PM
More Planes Than Sense
wgarman's Avatar
United States, PA, Wexford
Joined Feb 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I did notice the plane is a little hard to see while in flight, and the first couple of time I flew it I almost crashed it due to disorientation but after toning down the control surfaces through the transmitter so it's not so touchy, I find flying it getting easier and easier.

I like the flights at dusk, now if I could just get some navigation lights on it
Get some lights from http://www.sf-design-solutions.com. They work great on the T-28 and are easy to install. I have not seen an reduction in flight times with the lights on.
wgarman is online now Find More Posts by wgarman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:50 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Stuart Linfoot's Avatar
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarman View Post
Get some lights from http://www.sf-design-solutions.com. They work great on the T-28 and are easy to install. I have not seen an reduction in flight times with the lights on.
I saw them, I wanted to get lights from them for my champ, but they discontinued the champ lights, and now their closed until September, so I may have to go elsewhere.

I got the wiring and the plugs that would work great for nav lights, but I need to find a good source for the LED's

someone at work gave me some incredibly light weight wiring that is just a little thicker than a strand of hair, and it's shielded in white so it would hide well on the T28, I'll probably go looking for some micro LED's. one solid green a solid red, and a couple of flashing reds for anti collision beacons. one on the tip of the tail and the other one on the bottom of the plane.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Must not buy more planes!
mclarkson's Avatar
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,270 Posts
I've had this plane for 1.5 years and yet, somehow, I only realized it had a steerable front wheel this very week.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
goodhumormarc's Avatar
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I've had this plane for 1.5 years and yet, somehow, I only realized it had a steerable front wheel this very week.
Oh man! That was a selling point for me to get this plane! It's pretty cool to taxi around and most people can't believe that the wheel actually turns! Happy flying!
Marc
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:31 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Stuart Linfoot's Avatar
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
Oh man! That was a selling point for me to get this plane! It's pretty cool to taxi around and most people can't believe that the wheel actually turns! Happy flying!
Marc
I like taxi-ing mine around my driveway getting it lined up with the runway, that's half the fun, then gradually feeding throttle into it and watching it roll down the runway building up speed until it rotates for lift off and does a gradual climb out over the fence at the end of the runway.

I have a 10 foot wide by 100 foot long runway mowed into my front yard that lines up with my driveway, there's a 4 foot tall fence that parallels the runway, then kind of curves around the yard about 20 feet past the end of the runway, and I get a kick out of doing scale take offs and landings and watching the plane climb out against the back drop of the old fence and hay field beyond that.

it just looks vintage, or something out of the old barn storming days, kinda cool.

I like shooting touch and goes and making them look as scale as possible
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:32 PM
Registered User
shastamike's Avatar
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by civichb98 View Post
I tried google for that Silicone and it doesn't come up. All I find is RTV by Devcon. Have you found out where they sell it?
Devcon also is marketed as Permatex RTV Silicone at any hardware store. Amazon.com has Devcon RTV Silicone in colors. Again, I apologize for saying that the Horizon tech told me that they use FPV Silicone by Devcon. It was RTV.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Last edited by shastamike; Jul 16, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:40 PM
Registered User
shastamike's Avatar
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
So...after my first fuse opening and learning how to cut out an over glued gearbox I got the thrust angle of the prop shaft lined up better than it came in the box. Out of the box the plane was unflyable without 3 grams of weight in the nose, the elevator trim all the way downward (forward on the TX screen ) and the battery all the way forward.
Now that the shaft is set down and to the right and the propeller plane matches the front of the cowl (the nose) I feel my T-28 flys a bit more normal. Still have to put the battery up all the way forward and give it elevator down trim but with out the weight in the nose it flys much lighter and at slow speeds floats a bit more so I guess I'm happy. Sure would like to check out another T-28 at a LHS to see how it's prop thrust angle is set.
Thank you to all that took the time to give me advice. BTW Horizon was awesome on the phone, really very patient and helpful.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Last edited by shastamike; Jul 16, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:50 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Stuart Linfoot's Avatar
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Devcon also is marketed as Permatex RTV Silicone at any hardware store. Amazon.com has Devcon RTV Silicone in colors. Again, I apologize for saying that the Horizon tech told me that they use FPV Silicone by Devcon. It was RTV.
I wonder if shoe goo would work? the last time I glued in a receiver, I used epoxy and I'm pretty sure that's half of what killed my old one, I couldn't get the epoxy off it to do any repairs on it.

I'm going to try something different other then epoxy next time.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
More Planes Than Sense
wgarman's Avatar
United States, PA, Wexford
Joined Feb 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I saw them, I wanted to get lights from them for my champ, but they discontinued the champ lights, and now their closed until September, so I may have to go elsewhere.

I got the wiring and the plugs that would work great for nav lights, but I need to find a good source for the LED's

someone at work gave me some incredibly light weight wiring that is just a little thicker than a strand of hair, and it's shielded in white so it would hide well on the T28, I'll probably go looking for some micro LED's. one solid green a solid red, and a couple of flashing reds for anti collision beacons. one on the tip of the tail and the other one on the bottom of the plane.
That white wire would be nice. When you pick out your lights think about whether you want a scale look or want to see where the plane is going. My lights have one each of white, red, green and blue. White in front, blue on the tail and red and green on the wings. For me this gives me a great reference for direction. If I see white it is coming at me, blue is going away. Red, I'm looking at the left wing and green I'm looking at the right. For me I can easily judge which direction it is facing.
wgarman is online now Find More Posts by wgarman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:11 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Stuart Linfoot's Avatar
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarman View Post
That white wire would be nice. When you pick out your lights think about whether you want a scale look or want to see where the plane is going. My lights have one each of white, red, green and blue. White in front, blue on the tail and red and green on the wings. For me this gives me a great reference for direction. If I see white it is coming at me, blue is going away. Red, I'm looking at the left wing and green I'm looking at the right. For me I can easily judge which direction it is facing.
I'm more for a scale look, I can see the plane ok if I keep it close, if someone wanted to mess around with micro wire and see what you can do with it, I wouldn't mind mailing some out, I got a bunch of it, I think it's perfect for the micro stuff, I just need to find some itty bitty micro bulbs.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
I am GBLynden
GBLynden's Avatar
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,510 Posts
I am seriously considering get this plane as more of a relaxing 4-channel plane. I love my P-51 and PC, but they just aren't as relaxing to fly as I assume this one would be.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:17 AM
Registered User
mycaptain's Avatar
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
My T-28 flys very tail heavy. My battery is all the way forwards. I thought maybe that it was because of me not using the landing gear. I added the nose and wing wheels, it helped a bit but I still have to trim the elevator almost all the way forward. Some say to add weight to the nose, but I wonder if I shouldn't mechanically trim it with the wire loop at the elevator horn. I just can't see adding weight to the plane. The elevator surface is flat and so are the ailerons. any ideas?
Mike
Ahoy Shastamike! My UM t-28 wouldn't fly with the MA 190's, too tail heavy. I didn't want to add any nose weight so I cut a piece of foam from the box, stuck it in the battery slot and taped on a Hyperion 240 ma battery under it, and it flys fine now. I fly with no wheels. I wish I could get it to fly with the MA 190's I would save 2 grams of weight. Looks bad as heck fly'n without the wheels, I don't like how it drops on the turns when you are wing over wing on a turn. But I'm sure the extra 2 grams of battery weight has a lot to do with it. Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion PZ Radian or PZ T-28????? rclab1 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 10 Jun 06, 2010 12:59 AM
Question Which is better for grass field pz t 28 or pz p51d bl friz Electric Warbirds 25 Mar 25, 2010 10:00 PM
Poll Which is better for grass field pz t 28 or pz p51d bl friz 3D Flying 0 Mar 22, 2010 08:20 PM
Sold TRADE PZ Corsair PNP for PZ T-28 HBPD Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 14, 2009 12:18 AM
Wanted Will trade for PZ F4U or T-28... WWIIace Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 12, 2009 11:41 AM