SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 723 85.97%
were just asking for too much 118 14.03%
Voters: 841. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:18 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I finally pulled my T28 out of mothballs, I've had it for 2 or 3 months and never opened the box.

Today I decided to fly it for the first time, I bound it to an old Spektrum DX5e that I had, (took forever, it didn't want to bind at first but finally did)

the wind wasn't to bad, but it was a little blustery, I centered all the control surfaces through the trim switches on the transmitter ( they were way off on the airplane), pointed it into the wind and took it off, Holy cow, it had a mind of it's own, first thing it did was shoot to the left, headed straight for my living room window, I yanked back on the elevator and the thing shot strait up, barely missed the gutter on the house, I leveled out, than it shot across the roof straight for the chimney, I yanked back on the elevator again, and cranked in some right aileron, it skiffed right across the peak of the roof and headed for the old oak tree in the back yard. more back presser on the elevator stick, than somewhat of a knife edge past the old oak tree,that's when it went inverted and started for the ground.

I'm shaking like a mouse in a snake pit, the planes a gonner and it ain't even been in the air 5 seconds, full forward on the elevator stick, it shoots strait up again, crank hard right on the aileron stick, the plane rolls to level flight and heads for the wide open field.

a glimmer of hope shines in my mind that I may be able to save it, I flip the low rate switch, seems to help a little bit, nerves are already shattered by this time, keep it level, concentrate, don't make any sudden moves, e-a-s-y on the sticks, cut back the throttle, drop the nose just a little, NOO, not that much, bring it back up ...that was close, do a shallow 90 degree turn onto final, line up with the runway, pass the thresh hold at 30 feet, keep it level, stay on the center line, cut the throttle NOW! ....hold the nose up, just a little, keep the speed up, don't slow to much or it'll sta...yeah, like that, THROTTLE UP, get the nose up, hold steady, your still on the center line, you can do it, back off the throttle, hold it just above an idle, 5 feet to go, 4,3, 2 feet, 6 inches, back off the throttle, mains touch first, nose settles in for a perfect landing, roll to a stop.

that was the most frightening 30 seconds of my entire life, set the transmitter down, go kiss the airplane, you both survived .....

what an adrenaline rush, gotta do it again!!

I was thinking that maybe it was a tad bit tail heavy, but when I balanced it out at exactly 31 mm from the leading edge with the battery in the same position it was when I was flying it, it rested on the kabob sticks just a little bit nose down so the balance apears to be ok.

I put a couple of COG stickers on the wing at exactly 31mm so I never have to guess at the balance point again.

I also reset all the trim switches on the DX5e back to neutral, and readjusted the control linkages on the plane so all the surfaces are now centered where they belong.

I used the 3 bladed prop off my corsair that the dog ate and the T28 seemed to fly just fine with it.

the 160 mAh Nano Tech Battery seems to give it plenty of power.

I also activated the EXPO feature on the DX5e, and from looking at the movement of the surfaces on the plane, it looks like that might help tone it down just a little bit..

I'm going to try flying it again in the morning ...wish me luck, that I don't crash it and the dog stays in the house so it don't follow the same fate as the Corsair.

I love that little T28, what a blast in such a small package
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Jul 11, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:33 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,419 Posts
Quite the exciting flight Stuart I managed to clip a lightpole and bounce off a stop sign last night with mine. I had to land after clipping the lightpole because the battery came loose, but I actually kept on flying after bouncing off the stop sign. Instead of a touch n go it was a stop n go

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,022 Posts
Well written Stuart! Had my heart pumping! Try to rebound it too... Just to be safe! Happy flying!

Marc
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:26 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
That's the drawback with the DX5. You cant control the ailerons and rudder travel adjustment. I fly mine T28 with only 50 % . It's very easy to fly, with small movements, and not nerve wrecking at all. With my DX6i it's almost tame, with the small adjustments. Wait til you try the micro Corsair, that's a little machine you really need to fly.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
That's the drawback with the DX5. You cant control the ailerons and rudder travel adjustment. I fly mine T28 with only 50 % . It's very easy to fly, with small movements, and not nerve wrecking at all. With my DX6i it's almost tame, with the small adjustments. Wait til you try the micro Corsair, that's a little machine you really need to fly.
I got the Micro Corsair, and I had it dialed in perfect, 2.2 grams of led shot in the nose, it balanced out perfect and flew like a dream, then someone opened up the front door and let the dog out, it was a fight to the death, not the first airplane I ever lost to the dog, and it probably won't be the last, but at least I got a really nice minute or two of some sweet flying out of it before the dog showed up.

I ordered another corsair kit, and was going to put it back together but noticed that the dog had planted one of her teeth straight through the AR6400, so I boxed up the receiver, mailed it back to Horizon for repair, (which I know they can't, it's beyond help)

I got an email from Horizon on Monday, they did a warranty replacement on it and are shipping me out a brand new AR6410, free of charge, it will be here Friday.

as for the T28, I think I got it dialed in perfect now, but it was way to windy to fly it today, will try again tomorrow.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:55 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,022 Posts
HA HA! they are pretty much the best in customer service!
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Nice stories there Stuart - particularly the one about the dog! I can just picture it in my mind, ha ha. "it was a fight to the death" - I'm sure!

I wonder if anyone has ever had their cat pounce on a plane on the ground, or a micro heli that strayed too close?
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Got my second flight today.

With the dog safely locked in the house, I set out to re-maiden my T28, I got it balanced out at exactly 31mm, (Iím somewhat of a perfectionist, so I had to go for the middle of the road between 30, and 32mm)

I got the trims centered on the transmitter, and adjusted correctly on the plane, with expo on and duel rates set to low on the less the perfect DX5e, I pointed the fidgety little plane towards the end of the runway, and before I could even touch the throttle, the 8mph tail wind started pushing the plane down the runway.

I flipped the plane around 180 degrees, and walked it to the other end of the runway and prepared for a hasty departure, this isnít the direction I prefer to use for flying because Iím so used to flying from right to left, not left to right.

Full forward on the throttle, a quick two and a half inch roll, and weíre airborne, and headed straight for the fence, with less then 5 feet before impact, I yank full back on the elevator stick, Iím not going to clear the fence, Iím doomed, shove the elevator stick forward, level out, and through the fence rails we go, just like eggs through a hen.

The trembling and shaking nerves are back, enhanced by an 8 mile an hour wind, across the field we go, Altitude, we need altitude, stay soft of the sticks, gently ease in a little up elevator, nothing happens, dang EXPO!, pull back more, the fidgety little bird starts to climb, instant knife edge, dang wind, need to get it down on the ground, need altitude to clear the fence and get it back to the runway, roll level, blown to the right, level back to the left, , a little more left to head for the runway, blown inverted, shove in down elevator, roll left again, skim over the top fence rail, over the runway. Cut the throttle, keep it level, wind blows the little bird off the center line and over the tall un-mowed yard grass, no time to recover, this isnít gonna be pretty, a down draft shoves the little plane into the grass, I hear the dog barking, whoís gonna get to it first, Nike donít fail me now!, I do the 20 yard dash in record breaking time, dogs still barking but where is she?

Grab the plane and raise it over my head in a winners victory stance, (just to keep the dog away from it)

Way to windy to fly today, the plane is scratch free, and no dog marks, but I sense that with the EXPO on and low rates, sheís going to be a mellow flyer :O)

Walk back towards house, thereís the dog, in the house, nose stuck through the screen door, ÖÖnot today ruby, you arenít eating a plane today.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Center of Gravity

This CG thing is really bothering me. My T-28 came out of the box, I check all the flying surfaces, perfect. I check the CG with the stock battery as per the manual. First flight it is barely controllable. Plane at half throttle practically goes into a hover with any advance in throttle. Flying way tail heavy. I trim all the way forward on the elevator and barely can fly without a steep climb when throttle is 3/4 or more. That's with the battery all the way forward. Since then I put a 2.5 gram lead shot under the nose. Now I can fly level at 1/2 throttle but still have to trim forward about 50% past neutral. I checked the CG again with the shot in place. The CG is with the battery all the way back, but if I fly like that I'm back to the tail heavy out of control climb at 3/4 or more throttle. I'm tempted to add one more shot to the nose for a total of 5 grams so I don't have to trim so much. I'm started to be confused about CG, it just doesn't seem to work for this plane. I feel like I should just add weight to the nose and get it to fly as I'd like it to instead of being concerned about CG! Any thoughts? Is it way out of hand to put 5 grams on the nose?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
I just started with a brand new airframe this week. I didn't put the gear on, but the left the nose mount in place. I added carbon fiber rod to the leading edges with thick packing tape and hot glued a SP motor in place so I consider the weight added vs no gear a wash.

Using a Hyperion 240 (short squarish battery, heavier that the 150s) installed up against the red line of the cowl, it's perfectly trimmed.

When first trimming, I just guessed at the 1/3 MAC to get started and it was fine. Personally, I'd do whatever it took to get the added ballast out of there, even if it means removing some tail weight or opening up a channel more forward for the battery (or using a heavier battery, the UM F4U solution).
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
This CG thing is really bothering me. My T-28 came out of the box, I check all the flying surfaces, perfect. I check the CG with the stock battery as per the manual. First flight it is barely controllable. Plane at half throttle practically goes into a hover with any advance in throttle. Flying way tail heavy. I trim all the way forward on the elevator and barely can fly without a steep climb when throttle is 3/4 or more. That's with the battery all the way forward. Since then I put a 2.5 gram lead shot under the nose. Now I can fly level at 1/2 throttle but still have to trim forward about 50% past neutral. I checked the CG again with the shot in place. The CG is with the battery all the way back, but if I fly like that I'm back to the tail heavy out of control climb at 3/4 or more throttle. I'm tempted to add one more shot to the nose for a total of 5 grams so I don't have to trim so much. I'm started to be confused about CG, it just doesn't seem to work for this plane. I feel like I should just add weight to the nose and get it to fly as I'd like it to instead of being concerned about CG! Any thoughts? Is it way out of hand to put 5 grams on the nose?
Mike
Your going the wrong way. It's not tail heavy but nose heavy.
A nose heavy plane needs a lot of up elevator to fly level and then becomes very pitch sensitive as the throttle is changed.
The plane will pitch up when the throttle is increased.
Pitch coupled with throttle is the sign of a nose heavy plane.
A tail heavy plane is not stable and nearly impossible to fly.
A lot of people misdiagnose a nose heavy problem for a tail heavy one.

Measure the CG with the plane upside down.

I use 240 hyperion flat packs about 1/4 inch from the rear of the battery tray.
I have yet to see a T28 that required weight in nose.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Last edited by msdumo; Jul 12, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:06 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,289 Posts
I haven't flown my little T-28 in months, either, so I decided yesterday was the time. Winds were down to 7MPH or so, which counts as dead calm where I live, and the temps were only in the mid-90's.

I'm flying with a 160mAh pushed all the way back in the stock battery slot and it feels a bit nose-heavy to me still.

Ultra-Micro T-28, Parking Lot Fun (2 min 21 sec)
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
I, too, use the Hyperion 240's on my UM T-28. Also use the Lectron Pro 280's. Plane flys great, no real balance problems, I mount the batteries as marked, to get a tad of nose heaviness. Helps when flying in windy conditions, and I have found the UM T-28 is par exellance when flying in windy conditions, the best of my Micro fleet, followed by the Champ, the UM J-3 Cub, the UM Pole Cat, and the UM P-51 Mustang.....in that order. And yes, I check for balance with the plane upside down, even though I have CG markers also on the underside of the wing.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:09 AM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Mike
I had the same problem this morning. It few like it was tail heavy and was almost uncontrollable. Yesterday it was perfect though I noticed the fuse halves were a bit loose. Last night I added some more tape along the center of the fuse on each side. Since this was the only change, I removed the tape and the plane was back to normal. I must have compressed the halves too much and pinched the control rods.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:26 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impmotor View Post
I must have compressed the halves too much and pinched the control rods.
Yup, pinched control rods can be unpleasant, a condition known as "Skyatica".

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac