HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 713 86.01%
were just asking for too much 116 13.99%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
759 Posts
Not sure if a tail heavy UM T-28 is more common then being nose heavy. Mine was the latter and I like the balance of a 180mah at the rear of the battery slot or with a 240mah about 4mm forward of that. With this balance it flies level at 45-50% throttle having the elevator level with the horizontal stabilizer. Inverted flight is maintained with about 30% elevator compensation.

In your case does the T-28 glide tail heavy in addition to flying tail heavy when under power? If it does not glide slightly nose down, but instead really drops the nose then I would examine the motor down thrust angle and/or wing incidence angle. Share what you discover.

Regarding a 600mah LiPo. Largest for my T28 is the 240. With even longer flight times I would worry about over heating the motor if not flown at 50-60% throttle.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Jun 12, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrie View Post
I have a quick question about the balance of the T-28. I did a quick search on the thread but I couldn't find an answer. I just got a brand new T-28 and when I went to maiden it I found it was quite tail heavy and a pretty severe turn to the left. Even after taping a penny to the front and moving the battery full forward it still seemed very tail heavy with the left turn. Is this common or a symptom of something else?

And a question about the batteries, has anyone tried the 600mah 1S nano tech batteries made for the MQX, Solo Pro etc? I was wondering if the 600 mah would really increase the flight time.
Is so heavy ,you will ruin all capabilities of your plane and your motor will work at high temps, very bad idea.

Regards !
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
Joined the ranks of T-28 owners today ---briefly

UPS delivered my T-28 from Horizon Hobby today. In checking it out, the aerlions didn't work at all. The servo never even made a noise. Called Horizon and they will send me a new one tomorrow. Nice service, but just wish they could check these out before they ship them.
beqok is offline Find More Posts by beqok
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jun 2012
53 Posts
Hi everyone!

I got myself a T-28 recently because I thought I "got bored" with my Night Vapor and and wanted "something faster with ailerons".
For whatever reason (mostly overestimation of my abilities), I chose to maiden her in the same warehouse I fly the Vapor in, resulting in a 15 second flight and interesting some interesting damages.

A guy at my LHS was so nice to glue is back together (damage wasn't as catastrophic as I thought), but by this time I already had ordered all the foam parts (fuse, wing, rudders).

So now the plan is to fly the old fuse until it's unrepairable and then put the hardware into the new fuse, afer it gets a nice paint job.

So, I set plan B in motion:
my GF will most likely get me a Champ for my birthday, so I can catch up on the step I feel I skipped by going from the Vapor directly to the Trojan.
But that's another story.

Anyway, it's nice to see so many people still having fun with their Trojans, and also to see that it was the right choice for an "aileron trainer" even if maybe a bit to early for me.

I have some small mods in mind and post pictures when I get around to doing them.

cheers,
Mac
Mac Smith is offline Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
843 Posts
UM T-28 build from scratch

I really like flying this bird. So muh so I am planing to build one from scratch with some enhancements. One would be a BL motor, not for speed but trouble free operation. Have a BL brick I can use but I was wondering if anyone knew of a BL motor about the same size and weight and power that might be a direct drive replacement?
Also looking for a recomendation on a slightly larger T-28 that I could fly on windier days? Not too much larger though, I like flying on ball fields near home.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Smith View Post
Hi everyone!

I got myself a T-28 recently because I thought I "got bored" with my Night Vapor and and wanted "something faster with ailerons".
For whatever reason (mostly overestimation of my abilities), I chose to maiden her in the same warehouse I fly the Vapor in, resulting in a 15 second flight and interesting some interesting damages.

A guy at my LHS was so nice to glue is back together (damage wasn't as catastrophic as I thought), but by this time I already had ordered all the foam parts (fuse, wing, rudders).

So now the plan is to fly the old fuse until it's unrepairable and then put the hardware into the new fuse, afer it gets a nice paint job.

So, I set plan B in motion:
my GF will most likely get me a Champ for my birthday, so I can catch up on the step I feel I skipped by going from the Vapor directly to the Trojan.
But that's another story.

Anyway, it's nice to see so many people still having fun with their Trojans, and also to see that it was the right choice for an "aileron trainer" even if maybe a bit to early for me.

I have some small mods in mind and post pictures when I get around to doing them.

cheers,
Mac

The t-28 was my first plane. what TX do you have? if its programmable you can give it more expo on the ailerons for now. She'll fly pretty slow. I would get some more space when the weather allows and get some altitude. She has a pretty subtle demeanor which is nice. I havent flown a cub but I know that once I had ailerons I wont fly without them! I hear the cub is a nice relaxed flyer though...

Marc
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Smith View Post
Hi everyone!

cheers,
Mac
I don't know how big your warehouse is, but the t28 isn't a really good indoor plane unless you have quite a bit of room and even more talent. It needs to be outside to have real fun with it. Much Much easier to fly outside in a large area to start with. Start with at least a football field. The more you learn about it's handling, then you can move to smaller areas.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
I have to agree with bobly, the first few flights should be in a larger area. I maidened mine this morning. All went fine, got close to a 5 minute flight. I was a little supprised at how much ground this little guy can cover at about 60% power. I was using a dx6i Tx with Hyperion 160 mAh lipo battery. I fine tuned the CG, adjusted all flying surfaces to what looked to be nuetral, & programed high and low rates with some expo on the dx6i Tx. Low rates were used for the maiden. I found my self dogding trees alot because, the area is approx 1/2 a foot ball field in area. I didnt really have time to adjust any trims during the flight, so I took a mental note of what trims needed to be adjusted after I land. The rudder needed some right trim and just a little up on the elevator. I can see what all the raves are about with the PZ T-28! She is lively yet controlable ( that was what kept me out of the trees). It looks like a toy, but performs like a good sport ship. I am looking forward to may enjoyable flights with this UM Trogen.
Cheers!
~Fred
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrated View Post
I have to agree with bobly, the first few flights should be in a larger area. I maidened mine this morning. All went fine, got close to a 5 minute flight. I was a little supprised at how much ground this little guy can cover at about 60% power. I was using a dx6i Tx with Hyperion 160 mAh lipo battery. I fine tuned the CG, adjusted all flying surfaces to what looked to be nuetral, & programed high and low rates with some expo on the dx6i Tx. Low rates were used for the maiden. I found my self dogding trees alot because, the area is approx 1/2 a foot ball field in area. I didnt really have time to adjust any trims during the flight, so I took a mental note of what trims needed to be adjusted after I land. The rudder needed some right trim and just a little up on the elevator. I can see what all the raves are about with the PZ T-28! She is lively yet controlable ( that was what kept me out of the trees). It looks like a toy, but performs like a good sport ship. I am looking forward to may enjoyable flights with this UM Trogen.
Cheers!
~Fred
CG is about right on mine with 190Ma pushed up as far as it will go.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
CG is about right on mine with 190Ma pushed up as far as it will go.
Tim
Is that with or without the wheels on? I am flying mine with the wheels. The Hyperion 160 mAh Lipo is all the way back in the battery slot. I had to put glue a tiny piece of lead at the tail to get a perfect CG.
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:00 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
I use Lectron Pro 280's and 270's on my UM T-28. Have also made flights using the Hyperion 240's. My COG adjusted for slight nose-heavyness with battery located as shown. Plane flys great , especially in windy conditions.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
209 Posts
what is the best battery for the um t-28 i wanna gt some lnger flight times and more power
Shark_fighter78 is offline Find More Posts by Shark_fighter78
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:10 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
I use Lectron Pro 280's and 270's on my UM T-28. Have also made flights using the Hyperion 240's. My COG adjusted for slight nose-heavyness with battery located as shown. Plane flys great , especially in windy conditions.

RD
Mine is in the same location when using an Eflite 200mah 25c battery. I had to buy an adapter cable since the battery ends are not the same. But like you said, it handles wind very well for such a small plane

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:16 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_fighter78 View Post
what is the best battery for the um t-28 i wanna gt some lnger flight times and more power
From my experiences to date, the following in order of good performance:

- Hyperion 240mAh, 25C
- Mini Aviation 190mAh, 25C
- Lectron Pro 280mAh, 25C
- Lectron Pro 270mAh, 15C

Thunder Power makes a good 160 mAh, from what I have read and heard. The above I fly on a regular basis, with UM T-28, UM P-51, Champ, UM J-3 Cub, UM Pole Cat.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,924 Posts
The Thunder Power 160's do perform well. I have several of those and it is easy to get 5-6 minute flights with them. I use them also in my MSRx heli

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24