HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 719 86.00%
were just asking for too much 117 14.00%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:55 AM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
I think that he why he proposed a special edition one. For the people willing to pay that bit extra for the BL systems.
Yeah special edition or perhaps put it on E-Flite brand. Whichever, but I'd probably go for a premium UM even if the only premium was a BL motor. Perhaps a stock battery tray for 240mah 1s batteries would make sense as well and they could sell some 240mah eflite batteries for $20 to those who don't know better or whatever it would be after their markup.
cloakscott is offline Find More Posts by cloakscott
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:58 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,116 Posts
A symmetrical wing is easy mod for the planes u have now IMO they roll better u buy an extra wing turn one up side down then lay one on top fill the edges with ca and wah-la a symmetrical wing works on every um available!!!
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:08 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
Joined Aug 2009
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakscott View Post
Ah sorry I had tried clicking and it didn't seem to work, perhaps caching for me.
I apologize that's what happenswhen u work from an iPhone lol
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:43 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkintx View Post
Stearable Nose wheel.... And no it's probably from the beefier fuse
Yes, it has more control linkages, big landing gear (it has to, to keep that big prop from smacking into the ground,) and that fat fuselage. Which is why this Trojan weighs the same as a Champ. Even then, it flies surprisingly slow, even though it's four grams heavier than a Sukhoi and has at least 2/3rds the wing area of a Champ.

This Trojan does slow down, and it looks much more stable than the Mustang. I can immediately see how they did it. The Trojan looks like it's got some down-thrust to the motor mount. Not only is the wing a deeply undercambered piece of thin folded depron like the Mustang wing, the wing also has a lot of dihedral . . . the pilot in the video needed rudder to get the Trojan through rolls. But that's good for a less-experienced pilot. The big one's a bit of a pig as well, which is why it makes a good aileron trainer (for a low-wing warbird.)

So it's not going to be as exciting a flyer as the 4-Site or Sukhoi. It will be less twitchy than the Mustang, and appears to be better-behaved than the Cub. So where does this put the Trojan?

Why, the natural next (possible) step up from the Champ, of course. It clearly can be flown with the same "toy" transmitter, since it comes in RTF. It gives you a 4-channel aircraft that weighs the same as the Champ, but needs to go a little faster. The rudder is both highly effective and necessary for the optimum flying experience, and it looks like it should be stable enough that a novice flyer with a soccer field to fly in should be able to get it through its first few flights intact, without being so stable that aerobatics are out of the question.

Mind you, I remember saying many of the same things about the Mustang, before, and immediately after, it came out. Compared to now, where I describe the Mustang as being a bit less pleasant to fly than the Sukhoi. I'll try to be a bit more careful in passing judgment on the Trojan this time around.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:44 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,139 Posts
I like it.

Performance in the video doesn't look THAT bad.
Of course using a proper battery should help... as in Hyperions.
I think some of the features alone will capture an audience....
steerable nose wheel, removable landing gear, etc.
It looks good too but of course performance without looks would
be ok too.

The one thing that I definitely don't understand is why they continue
to announce these products well before we can buy them.
Wouldn't you be a lot more excited and willing to buy if all of a sudden
they announced a new plane and you could buy it instantly?
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Last edited by Elisecat; Jul 29, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:04 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
Joined Aug 2009
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakscott View Post
Yeah special edition or perhaps put it on E-Flite brand. Whichever, but I'd probably go for a premium UM even if the only premium was a BL motor. Perhaps a stock battery tray for 240mah 1s batteries would make sense as well and they could sell some 240mah eflite batteries for $20 to those who don't know better or whatever it would be after their markup.
$12 but still rediculous
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:23 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post
Probably to give the brick-and-mortar hobby shops time to gauge interest from their customers, before deciding how many they want to order. A plane in inventory isn't making the LHS any money until it sells, so they want to be sure that people will be interested so they won't have excess inventory occupying valuable shelf-space, collecting dust.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:28 AM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
883 Posts
to me it looks like a fun plane that responds well and has a decent flight envelope.
How fast does a micro have to be for you guys?

Thank you Parkzone for keeping the Micros coming!
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:13 AM
Joined Aug 2007
8 Posts
I really like the steerable nose gear! Hopefully it will do nice touch and gos.
liteav8r is offline Find More Posts by liteav8r
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:41 AM
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post
I like it.

Performance in the video doesn't look THAT bad.
Of course using a proper battery should help... as in Hyperions.
I think some of the features alone will capture an audience....
steerable nose wheel, removable landing gear, etc.
It looks good too but of course performance without looks would
be ok too.

Typical....Horizon Hobby has an aggressive product release schedule that has to be met. Slapping old guts in a new airframe is a cheap and easy way to keep the new products rolling. They even do it on their Blade products....mod the electronics a bit and slap an uppercase "2" on it...viola! A bunch of new revenue off an old product.

Some of their micros are right on the mark but they've also had some real stinkers. To keep that big machine rolling, you gotta work the hype for a while so your first round shipments are immediate stock sellouts. It's about THEM, not us!

We'll all be running to our local hobby store to get one pre-ordered...lemmings!

Hopefully it's not underpowered/overweight...I DO love my Mustang"1" <---got that one right the first time, Vapor"2", and Ember"2"...
EPfan1 is offline Find More Posts by EPfan1
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:46 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
901 Posts
Nice, but no thanks.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:58 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
The only innovation that the T-28 has over all the others is the LG configuration. That is what stood out to me at least. I was hoping to see how they have it rigged, which I didn't. There are no pictures that show the insides! Then I was hoping to see a proper trike landing, especially from a promo video, which we know can even be fudged like the V1 Sukhoi video was. That didn't happen either. Two hopes and no dice on either...that's a no for me.

-PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:07 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
The trojan flight time seems a bit short. The flight time recorded should be flown by a good motor. My mustang had a defect motor and only flies for 4 minutes on the 120mah battery. I was right, the prop is close to the ground not a photo angle. Wonder are the parts the same as the other ultra micros and how they did the seerable nose gear?
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:24 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
The trojan flight time seems a bit short. The flight time recorded should be flown by a good motor. My mustang had a defect motor and only flies for 4 minutes on the 120mah battery. I was right, the prop is close to the ground not a photo angle. Wonder are the parts the same as the other ultra micros and how they did the seerable nose gear?
Six minutes is about typical for a fresh Mustang motor on a fresh PZ 120 mAH LiPo with high-throttle flying. They're just being honest.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:30 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Whine all you want, this is a cool little plane, and I will buy it. Want longer run times? Buy $1.69 HK battereis and fly all damn day. Nobody has seen it fly, and the "too slow" complaints arise. Slow is fun too. Stable is also nice. And if it's like it's big brother, it will glide for days. On top of that, it is big enough to rig up a BL system with less fuss than the other narrower UM's.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind