HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
Australia, QLD, Camp Hill
Joined Jan 2012
22 Posts
Got a T-28 here in Brisbane/Australia flying. Just love it, it flies so nice. Has anyone tried a microcam on it? Can it carry the extra weight?
nokk is offline Find More Posts by nokk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokk View Post
Got a T-28 here in Brisbane/Australia flying. Just love it, it flies so nice. Has anyone tried a microcam on it? Can it carry the extra weight?
you are going to have good fun with this plane! i have not put one on personally, but i have seen youtube videos of people doing it. maybe someone on this thread did too.

on a side note, anyone else notice that batteries are out of stock everywhere? right when i need some.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:57 AM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
you are going to have good fun with this plane! i have not put one on personally, but i have seen youtube videos of people doing it. maybe someone on this thread did too.

on a side note, anyone else notice that batteries are out of stock everywhere? right when i need some.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

If you dont mind waiting two weeks these are great batteries! I have 6 of them I used in my mSR and my 28 from over a year ago and still get great flight times. They are on Holiday so the wait might be longer. If you have the cash do it and then when you get them its a great surprise!
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
T-28 vs the P51 in wind

Love my T-28 but I couldn't pass up a deal on the classifieds for a "like new" P51 for $50 shipped! Just wondering if anyone else has a P51 in addition to their T-28. I flew them both in about 8 mph winds today. The T-28 handled it very well. Had to ride the wind a little but it still had a fairly smooth flight. The P51 on the other hand seemed to get bounced around quite a bit and dropped altitude much more frequently than the T-28.

Does that sound about right? Just wondering if the P51 is not nearly as stable as the T-28 in wind.
robgau is offline Find More Posts by robgau
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgau View Post
Love my T-28 but I couldn't pass up a deal on the classifieds for a "like new" P51 for $50 shipped! Just wondering if anyone else has a P51 in addition to their T-28. I flew them both in about 8 mph winds today. The T-28 handled it very well. Had to ride the wind a little but it still had a fairly smooth flight. The P51 on the other hand seemed to get bounced around quite a bit and dropped altitude much more frequently than the T-28.

Does that sound about right? Just wondering if the P51 is not nearly as stable as the T-28 in wind.
Yes, your flight experience matches what I have read on RCGroups.com.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

If you dont mind waiting two weeks these are great batteries! I have 6 of them I used in my mSR and my 28 from over a year ago and still get great flight times. They are on Holiday so the wait might be longer. If you have the cash do it and then when you get them its a great surprise!
thanks for the link! although, i dont really like ordering from hobbyking so i guess i will wait until the hyperions/thunder powers are in stock.

Quote:

i don't own a P-51 but it sounds correct. i have heard that the T-28 has much better wind handling capabilities than the P-51.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Could be you were flying them both at the same speed, but the P51 was too close to it's stall speed.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Could be you were flying them both at the same speed, but the P51 was too close to it's stall speed.
Ran 'em both at WOT
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,062 Posts
I prefer MA's to hyp's. I have both a P-51 and a T-28. But, today was really windy and I didn't fly either. I could have. But, I was busy wind surfing a Champ and Beast. Happy Flyin.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
I prefer MA's to hyp's. I have both a P-51 and a T-28. But, today was really windy and I didn't fly either. I could have. But, I was busy wind surfing a Champ and Beast. Happy Flyin.
Lee
i saw your video of the wind surfing on youtube.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:

The UM P51 was always my go to plane in wind.....still much more twitchy than the T-28 but at WOT it would cut through the wind like an arrow!
The T-28 has a larger side profile exposure to a cross wind than the P51 and a slower top airspeed but it has better slow speed flight charactistics than the P51 which compensates a little and makes it more forgiving in the wind.
I also have the UM Corsair which is a whole different bag of screws with that inverted gull wing. That wing presents a good % of its underside to a cross wind even in level flight.
The P51 you fly the T-28 you float............

They are all different which makes them all worth having
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jan 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
I will be posting this in some other threads in order to get a response. Whiile the plane is a Sukhoi XP I am looking for an answer regarding "the brick". My aileron servo gets stuck. eventually it begins to work. I bought it used and it lands on damp grass some mornings. I suspect it might be corrosion. It isn't a gear jam (and I have cleared a few of those and the gears look clean. Any ideas? Before taking it apart I was considering an electronics cleaner. Best bet from radio Shack or a big box? There is a small electronics repair shop nearby too.
Rickflaguy is online now Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I flew the P51 for a couple of minutes after work today. It seemed a lot smoother after the wind settled down. My T28 has a Solo Pro motor so it really cuts through the air.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
I will be posting this in some other threads in order to get a response. Whiile the plane is a Sukhoi XP I am looking for an answer regarding "the brick". My aileron servo gets stuck. eventually it begins to work. I bought it used and it lands on damp grass some mornings. I suspect it might be corrosion. It isn't a gear jam (and I have cleared a few of those and the gears look clean. Any ideas? Before taking it apart I was considering an electronics cleaner. Best bet from radio Shack or a big box? There is a small electronics repair shop nearby too.
If you decide to use electronic cleaner make sure it is compatible with the bead foam of the fuselage. I use rubbing alcohol with a small art paint brush to clean the servo pinion, spur gear, slide & track and long metal worm screw that moves the slide back and forth. Don't lubricate anything other than the little servo motor shaft at its bearing. The nylon plastic gears are self lubricating and any addition lubricant will just act as a grit and dirt magnet. If there are any fine pieces of grit that you can't see fouling the teeth of the gears the brush with a little alcohol should dislodge it.

Open the fuselage and bench test the aileron servo so you can observe if the servo is jamming at the extreme ends of it's travel on the track. If there are any nicks on the track you may be able to smooth them out by wet sanding with 400 grit sandpaper.

I have never had any of my UM electronics quit working because of moisture....I have flown them in sleet, drizzle and freezing fog with no problems except for something due to dirty mechanics or pilot error?
Good luck
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jan 28, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
If you decide to use electronic cleaner make sure it is compatible with the bead foam of the fuselage. I use rubbing alcohol with a small art paint brush to clean the servo pinion, spur gear, slide & track and long metal worm screw that moves the slide back and forth. Don't lubricate anything other than the little servo motor shaft at its bearing. The nylon plastic gears are self lubricating and any addition lubricant will just act as a grit and dirt magnet. If there are any fine pieces of grit that you can't see fouling the teeth of the gears the brush with a little alcohol should dislodge it.

Open the fuselage and bench test the aileron servo so you can observe if the servo is jamming at the extreme ends of it's travel on the track. If there are any nicks on the track you may be able to smooth them out by wet sanding with 400 grit sandpaper.

I have never had any of my UM electronics quit working because of moisture....I have flown them in sleet, drizzle and freezing fog with no problems except for something due to dirty mechanics or pilot error?
Good luck
Thank you all for the input. the issue was in the end a wire broken at the solder joint. Poor placement in my opinion. Hard landings (crashes) had allowed a small shift and the hot glue held the wire. Working great now. I am going to reduce the mounting point. Use some thin foam and mont that to the brick. Mont the thin piece to the fuse.
Rickflaguy is online now Find More Posts by Rickflaguy