HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:50 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
It's led a rough life.

If I had a spare 50 bucks I'd steal another 30 and get another, or order the parts. haven't looked lately what wings/fuse/tail costs.

Dave
35 40 bucks

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...n-rtf-PKZU1500

So 35 40 dollars with shipping wings are on back order right now though.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
197 Posts
Has anybody ran the Hyperion 550 pack in the Trojan? I thought somebody would have but a search revealed nothing.

I bought it for run-times on the Champ and saw no power benefit compared to 160 @ 25C (the 550 is also 25C). But, since the Trojan can and does use a little more current, maybe I would see enough boost to overcome the extra weight. Not looking for speed but more vertical ability would be nice.

I guess the question is: does the 160/25C provide all the current that this motor/ESC can utilize?
Ikankrachuhmoll is offline Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikankrachuhmoll View Post
Has anybody ran the Hyperion 550 pack in the Trojan? I thought somebody would have but a search revealed nothing.

I bought it for run-times on the Champ and saw no power benefit compared to 160 @ 25C (the 550 is also 25C). But, since the Trojan can and does use a little more current, maybe I would see enough boost to overcome the extra weight. Not looking for speed but more vertical ability would be nice.

I guess the question is: does the 160/25C provide all the current that this motor/ESC can utilize?
I use a 240 Hyperion flat pack you can notice a difference. Not as responsive.
A 550 mah is really heavy and would really affect flying performance. I wouldn't go there. Good luck.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:46 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikankrachuhmoll View Post

You dont see power benifits? there both 25C so your not going to see a difference just because its a 550mah and not a 160mah. I fanything your going to have more power with the 160mah because its lighter. MAH is just on your flight times if you want more power you have to go more C rating. I dont know how many C rating the motor and brick can take.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
197 Posts
Is the max amp output of the battery not equal to the Ah of the battery X the C rating of the battery?

If so:
550 mAh (or .55 Ah) X 25C = 13.75 amps max
160 mAh (or .16 Ah) X 25C = 4 amps max
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong (and I am not being sarcastic).

I didn't make the calculations until now and, now that I see a max of 4 amps on the 160, I really doubt the T-28's motor would pull that much current even if the prop was blocked.

If I ever try the 550, it will be in the summer when my neighbors hay field is nice and high to pad the potential fail/fall. The Champ did an admirable job af carrying it but it also appears to have more Sq-In of wing space.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:33 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Ok what? Lol I don't know. I don't understand anything you just said lol. Since you joined oct 2011 I thought maybe you were a noob at this and didn't understand it but in fact now I'm the noob. I will just let some one else take over now haha. I just know I use 160mah 25c thunder power and I can pull 6 min flight with full throttle the whole flight.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,133 Posts
I learned a long time ago...

There is a limit to what is better/best. Each Mah you go up, means more weight. There is a fine line to how big a battery will give you longer flight times. Eventually you run into the fact that the battery is too big for a plane/copter to carry. It cancelles itself out. And a Brick can only carry so many C's. Then you either let loose the majic smoke, or just plain blow it. Listen to guys that have gone here and found the limits. Unless of course you can afford to experiment yourself. And then please post your findings. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:43 AM
Platinum Ball3r
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Oct 2009
598 Posts
Lol I use 550mah in some of my trucks.
custom t is offline Find More Posts by custom t
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:00 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
35 40 bucks

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...n-rtf-PKZU1500

So 35 40 dollars with shipping wings are on back order right now though.
Of course... anyone try making their own yet?

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:02 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Of course... anyone try making their own yet?

Dave
thats just for horizonhobby just google the wing part number and see if you can get it from another website.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
Mooresville, IN
Joined Mar 2009
302 Posts
I'm thinking about buying one of these soon. Does this plane fly well out of the box or do you need to add some weight to the nose?
rclayton is offline Find More Posts by rclayton
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
nope, i dident.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
Ok what? Lol I don't know. I don't understand anything you just said lol. Since you joined oct 2011 I thought maybe you were a noob at this and didn't understand it but in fact now I'm the noob. I will just let some one else take over now haha. I just know I use 160mah 25c thunder power and I can pull 6 min flight with full throttle the whole flight.
I am a noob with RC aircraft and when it comes to how the weight might effect the plane. But I did a bit of research on LiPo pack before switching to them on my 1/16 Revo RC car. That car happens to have been mostly shelved since I started throwing foam into the air. Unless I can get to the semi-local track, the planes are just more fun.

I am thinking I will do a amp test on the Trojan, just for grins. I did this with the Champ and was able to see on the meter what I thought I felt while flying with the Hyperion 160/25C vs the stock 150/12C. I don't remember the numbers now but it was clear that the Champ could actually use the extra current carrying capacity. But it would not pull anywhere close to what the better batteries can put out. If the T can use more than the 160/25 can deliver, my guess is that the 550 is still overkill.

Does anyone actually use the stock battery for the T-28. Maybe I got a dud because mine begins pulsing within in the first minute if I run much at WOT. But at mid-throttles, it will still go 5 or 6 minutes.

Anyway, we'll see what the multimeter says about these batteries. But the 550 will probably stay on the shelf or in the camera carrying champ,, it does make it less wind sensitive and provides smoother vids.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclayton View Post
I'm thinking about buying one of these soon. Does this plane fly well out of the box or do you need to add some weight to the nose?
I am not expert pilot but mine felt nice right out of the box. I even place the battery near the center of the velcro.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclayton View Post
Works great as-is!

You can move the battery slightly fore and aft to tune CG to your personal desire, but unlike the UM Corsair (IMHO) it does not need any additional weight added up front to fly properly.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob