HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:44 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Worst weekend ever for flying :/

Partly cloudy in the morning, then overcast with a chance of rain. High of 9C. Winds from the WSW at 40 km/h. Chance of rain 60% with rainfall amounts near 3.6 mm.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:00 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Apr 2010
58 Posts
woohoo,just got my t-28 and dx6i.Gonna ste the radio up tonite and maiden in th morning.We've had NO wind lately
EssTee is offline Find More Posts by EssTee
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:03 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,343 Posts
Since HK finally got my 300 mah nanotechs shipped to me today with the gang charging adapter for my Venom charger, I immediately charged them up.

But the Champ is laid up right now with a bad motor/gearbox...

So, I stuck the batteries in my pocket, grabbed my DX6i & the T-28, and that's it -- headed to the park at 6 PM.

I left all the other transmitters, helis, planes, video gear, bags, glasses, hats, cell phone, accessories, etc all at home.

Got there at 6 PM, and was the only one around (Friday night).

It is still hot here, almost 90. With a strong 5 to 8 mph breeze, and gusts not too uncomfortable, but was not too sure about the flying. I had not really 'bonded' with the T-28 yet.

Running all four of those batteries back to back, doing loops, rolls, slow passes, stall turns, and watching the T-28 fight the gusts... it was a terrific outing! I could feel myself getting more confident with throwing it around and setting it up to be where I wanted it to be. That darn breeze really plays havoc with this guy though, much more so than even the Champ for some reason. So, I did a few low passes, but was worried about packing it in, and had a few times it needed major correction but no crashes due to wind! I did have just one UCWT (Unscheduled Contact With Terrain) when I went right from one full loop, into a roll, then a half loop back at me, and it was a bit much for my brain to process... for some crazy reason, with it half rolled (inverted) I gave up elevator as it was coming back to me... not sure exactly what I was trying... but it went nose first into the grass with power on. I quickly cut power, and when I got to it, it was sitting upright on all three gear. A waggle of the stick looked fine, a blip of the motor and it was fine, so I picked it up, gave it the once over, and I can't even see a mark from the incident!

I then flew out that battery, executing a loop and roll right away to 'get back on the horse', then on the final battery, where I concentrated on throttle and elevator control as I just kept it doing slow circles around the field and low passes that would have turned into touch-n-goes if only we did not have so much breeze and gusts.

Terrific day, terrific plane!
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:03 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTee View Post
woohoo,just got my t-28 and dx6i.Gonna ste the radio up tonite and maiden in th morning.We've had NO wind lately

Enjoy!
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:31 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3d View Post
Oh, does anyone fly in San Diego? Any groups or clubs? I am in north county.
I am in Oceanside.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:42 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Apr 2010
58 Posts
thank you.I just retired and plan on spending alot of time on this hobby.
EssTee is offline Find More Posts by EssTee
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Went flying today with my UM T-28 and it was a bit windy. I did good for the second time flying and didn't even crash not once Now, I'm trying to learn to make it roll and I'm not doing to much of a good job, or maybe it's cause it's too windy. I want to learn how to roll slow or also fast, but I'm not getting it right. I've jump on Youtube to see if there's any video but only found one that show's you how to do it.
RC Training - Snap Roll (0 min 24 sec)
civichb98 is offline Find More Posts by civichb98
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:09 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by civichb98 View Post
Went flying today with my UM T-28 and it was a bit windy. I did good for the second time flying and didn't even crash not once Now, I'm trying to learn to make it roll and I'm not doing to much of a good job, or maybe it's cause it's too windy. I want to learn how to roll slow or also fast, but I'm not getting it right. I've jump on Youtube to see if there's any video but only found one that show's you how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYm20...-zSvgA&index=1
I dont know but this was what worked for me
Thump
Rolls and how I do them (3 min 12 sec)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Sweet, thanks Thumper. I'll should try it tomorrow, hopefully it won't be windy this time.
civichb98 is offline Find More Posts by civichb98
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:25 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Sweet, thanks Thumper. I'll should try it tomorrow, hopefully it won't be windy this time.
Remember Two mistakes high and on a full power climb and she will roll sweet, to get it perfect with no loss of altitude its timing to the invert and stab of down elev which when upside down picks the nose up
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Hi Grant, welcome to the forum! Great to have you aboard.

First, let me congratulate you. It this was your first rc plane and you still have it in one piece after the maiden, CONGRATULATIONS!

As others have said, the manual is likely taped to the bottom of the styrofoam in the box. If not, you can download one here in English, French, German or Italian http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...0#quickSupport

Someone already mentioned how to center the control trims. If you have more questions just fire away. Someone likely will have the answer.

Rick in Alaska
Thank you for the welcome Rick and Bluhammer/Stoned doggie for the info! Clamping the servo arm for the rudder was indeed necessary. I didnt get a chance to test it out today but I have high hopes for flying tomorrow! You guys were also right, the manual was hiding under the foam insert in the box. Rick, the maiden wasnt entirely without incident I nosed it into the dirt/grass a few times which has cause a kind of double chin look to the bottom of the nose. Although unfortunate, I dont think it has had any affect on how it flies. Here is a shot I took after my maiden flight. Flew until dark
grant3d is offline Find More Posts by grant3d
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:41 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3d View Post
Here is a shot I took after my maiden flight. Flew until dark
Still as handsome a devil as ever!

Happy flying and welcome aboard!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,343 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to learn to make it roll and I'm not doing to much of a good job
Thumper Rolls Rule.

Get that blip of down elevator (right stick up) plugged in there at just the right moment, and it rolls through as axial as if it were some sort of stunt plane and not a scale-ish aileron trainer!

Try to roll it with no elevator and it will wobble vertically so much it's not really even a roll anymore.

I did *not* try to use the rudder method as shown in your demo, but I'd imagine if the input is plugged in at the right time (seems it would need to be at 90 degrees of rotation instead of what I'm guessing is almost 180 degrees for the aileron method) it would have the right effect. Not sure the T-28 airframe will respond to it as well as ailerons and do an actual 'stalled wing snap roll' though -- perhaps a very experienced pilot could tell the group. All I know is that as a rookie, I am tickled to now be able to get this thing to aileron roll the way I like, following my unschooled first attempts on my own.

Of course, you could go for big air right away:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...-a-stunt-plane
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:15 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
I dont know but this was what worked for me
Thump
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIaYciq1NIc
wow im glad i started this hobby now, im 15 and i learned how to do a roll same day i got it i relized it goes down wards when i go inveted so i said to myself well when it goes inverted push up alittle well then i sarted going up alittle to lol young people have the ability to learn fast the t-28 was my first plane ever. my dad got the hobbt zone super cub lp and i was there to teach him h was not able to fly it he never really tried tho i put it p in the air and he took over the controls and he gave them back right away i guess he got nervous and dident want to crash.

I dont know if knowing all the aero dynamics of the plane helped like if the flap went up i knew what it would do my dad doesent really know what does what with the controler and stuff
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:17 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
wow im glad i started this hobby now, im 15 and i learned how to do a roll same day i got it i relized it goes down wards when i go inveted so i said to myself well when it goes inverted push up alittle well then i sarted going up alittle to lol young people have the ability to learn fast the t-28 was my first plane ever. my dad got the hobbt zone super cub lp and i was there to teach him h was not able to fly it he never really tried tho i put it p in the air and he took over the controls and he gave them back right away i guess he got nervous and dident want to crash.
It is a great hobby.

Yup, us older folks have to work a bit harder at the co-ordination thing, but don't count us out just yet!
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN