SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:16 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by civichb98 View Post
When I flew my UM T-28 yesterday for the first time, all it wanted to do was just climb up and up, it didn't wanna fly straight. I aligned the wings and all but still the same. I also put the battery all the way to the front and nothing. Maybe if I just align the back wing down and leave it like that it would just do the trick.

Any helpfull tips would help, thanks.

Lowering the trailing edge of the wing (AKA flaps) will cause the nose of the plane to pitch up. Maybe you are thinking of reflex with the trailing edge raised to push the nose down?

It is OK to fly with some down in the elevator on planes with noticable pitch to throttle coupling. I do this with my T-28, Radian, etc. I still like some positive pitch as throttle is increased, on these planes, just not as much as factory

One should minimize trimming the linear servos using the TX, as has been well documented on these forums, and instead bend the wire loops on the pushrods.

Good luck!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:47 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Yea, after all these years of flying I still have a need to orient my body to the direction of the plane's travel as if I were in the cockpit. My dad was the master....he did it all with his brain....it was second nature for him.

When I fly invertered I almost feel the need to stand on my head to try to keep the inputs correct.......but thats just me
I always push the stick to the low side wing on the airplane as it comes toward me. Feels kinda funny at first, but like your dad, it becomes automatic the longer you fly. marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
That's a good idea. I always use that "put the stick towards the low wing" when inverted, but I never thought about doing that when the plane is coming towards you. My brain just figures it out. Once in a while I get distracted and have a brain fart, so using the "lower wing" thing is a good idea.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:44 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Before you start moving control surfaces:
Did you check the CG again after you had the plane cut apart and taped back together again? If not....make it a habit of checking the CG after every repair with the battery on the plane. Just the amount of tape added on the fuselage aft/behind can throw the CG off by a couple of mm s.

Don't use your finger tips for the balance point. Put together a simple jig using two sharpend pencils or wooden chop sticks super glued vertical to a block of wood. And mark the CG point stated in the manual
with a dot from a permanent marker on the wings so you know always where the balance point is suppose to be.

On larger scale planes there is some fudge factor but on these Ultra Micros there is not.
I checked for CG after I re-taped the T-28 but not with the battery on it. I would try it when I get home today and let you guys know.
civichb98 is offline Find More Posts by civichb98
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:27 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Just found out something new today. I just got home and installed the Hyp 180mah in the T-28 and the Champ as well to test the plane. Now the light were blinking on both planes. I was like, HUH...? So, I put my other regular batts and it worked on both plane fine. I thought this whole time that my UM T-28 board went bad or the antenna was in the way when the Hyp batt is the one that is no good. I don't know why there's no connection working... So I just called Horizon Hobby and opened my T-28 for nothing when the plane is in working condition. This suck, AHHHHHH!!!!!

Tested the Hyp battery and it was dead. My damn fault!
Last edited by civichb98; Oct 13, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:00 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Sorry for the pic being big, but I took this with my 3G iPhone and that's all I got. This is what I got checking for CG with the Hyp 180mah.

Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
196 Posts
I'm thinking of getting this plane as my first 4 channel. any tips? I really like the look of the T-28
Dittsboylogan is offline Find More Posts by Dittsboylogan
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:14 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittsboylogan View Post
I'm thinking of getting this plane as my first 4 channel. any tips? I really like the look of the T-28
Great choice I did and loved it, Tips: I like to fly neutral to slight nose heavy, I place my battery (stock) so the Bottom edge of the black cap lines up with the red. At first just fly all right stick, Bank and yank but do it small and always fly back to level. 1/2 throttle at first. Have a blast
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:51 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for the pic being big, but I took this with my 3G iPhone and that's all I got. This is what I got checking for CG with the Hyp 180mah.

You're suppose to check CG on low winged planes upside down!
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:01 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
You're suppose to check CG on low winged planes upside down!
Blu
Then do you just put the pencil tips in the middle of the plane? And so when ever your plane is straight that were your battery should be when you fly?
I dont know how to check cg need to learn
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:03 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:

Can someone give me a link to that 5043 prop and does it screw on or do i need a prop adapter?
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:15 AM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
Then do you just put the pencil tips in the middle of the plane? And so when ever your plane is straight that were your battery should be when you fly?
I dont know how to check cg need to learn
Yeah, same here. I wasn't sure how to check it. I thought it was this way. Pic's would help me out if anything or a link.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:47 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
Your doing fine. Just measure the CG from the manual and just make a little mark or stick a sliver of blue tape or what ever you want on the top side of the wings and place the plane on the marks upside down. Now attach the battery. Move the battery back and forth until you get balance again. Some people like a tiny bit of nose heavy. Tail heavy not good.
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:11 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
Hello there everybody. "New" guy here, I have been lurking for quite awhile just haven't posted. I have been flying micro helicopters for awhile and recently decided to try out a plane, the t-28 being my first. My maiden flight went OK all things considered but I have a few questions which require me to end my lurking.

I already have a DX6i from heli flying so I set my rates at 70% with 25% expo and took off. I got up in the air just fine but then the plane started banking pretty hard to the left, basically doing circles on its own. I managed to trim it out but its pretty extreme right aileron, over halfway to full. The same goes for the rudder. It was visibly off center out of the box. It flies fine with these trims but from what I have read so far it doesn't seem normal. On my helicopters I can mechanically trim by adjusting the servo arms. Is that something I can (need to) do with the t-28? I also saw someone talking about adjusting the "H stab"? Does that mean adjusting the wing placement? Oh, and my kit was missing the instruction manual for some reason, does anyone have a link to how to adjust CG?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I know these are probably answered somewhere on the forum, but I would love some feedback straight from you guys. There is such an incredible knowledge base here, I love it! I look forward to participating and not lurking anymore

Oh, does anyone fly in San Diego? Any groups or clubs? I am in north county.
grant3d is offline Find More Posts by grant3d
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:58 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Great choice I did and loved it, Tips: I like to fly neutral to slight nose heavy, I place my battery (stock) so the Bottom edge of the black cap lines up with the red. At first just fly all right stick, Bank and yank but do it small and always fly back to level. 1/2 throttle at first. Have a blast
Good words. I'm getting ready for another "Dawn Mission" with the little T-28. Also, consider getting some Hyperion batteries. I've been flying with the 160's for months and love them in the T-28.

Just love how I can do slow-and-low flights with the UM T-28. My favorite plane. Get a T-28, fly the wings off of it, and don't look back.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG