HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 725 86.00%
were just asking for too much 118 14.00%
Voters: 843. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Center-of-gravity is critical, and you will need to move the elevator rod closer to the pivot at the elevator.

Heavy battery or forwards CG makes inverted much harder.

Dave
I did move the elevator rod at the control horn on the tail to the 2nd hole from the top; is there another place on the inside of the plane on a servo arm or something where I can move the rod to get more travel?

I do have the battery almost all the way forward; I'll try moving it back next time.
scriber is offline Find More Posts by scriber
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:27 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriber View Post
Trying to fly inverted; but every time I do the plane drops nose dives out of the sky. I will usually roll and apply full down elevator and or throttle but the plane usually ends up hitting the ground anyway. Do I need more elevator travel? I haven't opened up the plane yet since I taped up the nose when i first got it. I'm coming from the heli world and can fly inverted without issues.
I'm assuming full down elevator means moving the right stick forward.

The rolls on the T28 are slow and you always pitch downward.
I do a half loop and then go inverted from there. I started with inside loop and now do outside loops reducing the risk of a stall.

If you need full elevator after a roll check the CG.
I experimented with CG until I found the sweet spot. I can do a roll with much less elevator movement now and the handling is much better.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
I did move the elevator rod at the control horn on the tail to the 2nd hole from the top; is there another place on the inside of the plane on a servo arm or something where I can move the rod to get more travel?

I do have the battery almost all the way forward; I'll try moving it back next time.
the part on the the 3 holes on the servo is for different size rods if you look it goes small med big hole so usally the ones that come with the micros are in the middle
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
the part on the the 3 holes on the servo is for different size rods if you look it goes small med big hole so usally the ones that come with the micros are in the middle
Still confused, when people talk about moving the rod to an inner hole to get more elevator travel...is that done on the inside of the plane, outside or both?
scriber is offline Find More Posts by scriber
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:15 AM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Quote:
Still confused, when people talk about moving the rod to an inner hole to get more elevator travel...is that done on the inside of the plane, outside or both?
At the control surface (ie - elevator/aileron)
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:26 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
The further inboard the hole on the control horn, the more travel you get on the control surface.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:27 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Out side you look on ur elavator and rudder the rod is on a white peice of plastic that is called a control horn the control horn has eithe 4 or 3 holes if you move it to the whole on he buttom that will give you more throw move it to the upper or outer hole that will give you less throw
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:55 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
It also helps with jamming micro servos to move the pushrod linkage to the next inner hole of the control horn. This limits the travel of the servo along the rail and still gives you full movement of the control surface, but at a faster rate. Some problematic servos jam when they get to the extreme end of their range of travel......this limits the range of servo movement but also increases the amount of torque needed on the servo to push or pull the control surface under air pressure.....there is less leverage.
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
118 Posts
Two new tricks

I learned two new tricks last night:

I'm getting much more comfortable flying inverted, so I worked out how to do an inverted to inverted roll. That is, start out flying inverted and do a full roll back to inverted. Looks pretty cool.

The other trick was getting so comfortable flying inverted that I got confused when flying upright and added more and more down elevator (thinking I was inverted and trying to bring the nose up) and nosed straight in to the ground. Good trick, that one!
random13 is offline Find More Posts by random13
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:38 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by random13 View Post
I learned two new tricks last night:

I'm getting much more comfortable flying inverted, so I worked out how to do an inverted to inverted roll. That is, start out flying inverted and do a full roll back to inverted. Looks pretty cool.

The other trick was getting so comfortable flying inverted that I got confused when flying upright and added more and more down elevator (thinking I was inverted and trying to bring the nose up) and nosed straight in to the ground. Good trick, that one!
Yea now go inveted and turn stick left or right and do roll that way then back to inveted never did the inverted back flip
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:15 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Yea, after all these years of flying I still have a need to orient my body to the direction of the plane's travel as if I were in the cockpit. My dad was the master....he did it all with his brain....it was second nature for him.

When I fly invertered I almost feel the need to stand on my head to try to keep the inputs correct.......but thats just me
Last edited by F18; Oct 12, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:31 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Part of it is how you learn: example, does pushing the el stick make the houses bigger, or does it just make the nose go towards the nose gear?

You should try the champ inverted- at least on the T28 when you are upside down, 'right' on the right stick still makes the plane go right, on the champ that's reversed.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Yea, after all these years of flying I still have a need to orient my body to the direction of the plane's travel as if I were in the cockpit. My dad was the master....he did it all with his brain....it was second nature for him.

When I fly invertered I almost feel the need to stand on my head to try to keep the inputs correct.......but thats just me
How I learned control reversal was when it was coming at me, I would imagine I was in cockpit looking at myself and I could see that if I wanted to go right, I had to give left input. I dunno, for me, doing it that way just clicked. It helped that I was flying a really slow plane so had plenty of time to figure it out.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Yea thats how i do it if i get discombobulated i just amgin that i am looking at the plane from behind i dont need to do that much anymore and inverted is not a prob for me
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:42 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Oh, I do OK....but there is a thought process required for me to determine the right input when inverted. For some other people including my Dad....orientation did not really seem to matter....it was like his brain was in the cockpit and wired up directly with the plane, by passing the sticks on a remote TX......his inputs were always seamless and instantanious even if the plane was upside down and backwards.

But I know I am not one of those people.....I just admire them!
And... thank god that the UM T-28 and the other UMs are made out of some resilient tough foam instead of balsa wood when I Zig instead of Zag!