HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 712 85.99%
were just asking for too much 116 14.01%
Voters: 828. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:51 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
After extending the power lead just a little, occasionally I will get a loss of control just after takeoff, no motor, no controls at all. I think I introduced an RF issue.

Dave
Dave,

You may have introduced some noise but I wonder. I have lengthened the battery lead in two ways and both worked cleanly and without brownouts. One was to simply make a short 1" entension that plugged into the AR6400 Brick battery lead, and the other was to cut into the OEM battery harness and solder lengths of wire in place. If not tried already you may want to twist the two leads and see if this collapses the M/E fields enough to clean up your signal. If not then something else could be occuring such as an intermittant connector.

Good luck!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:57 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Mine lasted just about 4 weeks also. Replaced it with a solo pro. So far so good. No difference in performance but supposed to last longer.

Can you switch the lights on/off on the T? I put a set on my Champ but they are always on. Does drain the battery.
WSEN,

Will you share if your SP motor is louder then the OEM motor? I ask because I bought 5 SP from hobby king this year, for the first time, and two of the four I have tested (including the first to fly a plane) were terribly loud, lower in RPM, and poor performers compared to the stock OEM motor. After that first SP, I have been bench testing prior to the swap and the second one installed is the smoothest so far. Speed is now about the same as OEM, with very nice flights times at 90 seconds longer then OEM, but still noisier. I will continue to fly this SP motor but was surprised by the bad armature balance.

Thanks
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:09 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Ugh I had a prop strike today on a rather light landing and the prop I've been using for over 350 flights all summer finally decided it wanted to give up am arm for early retirement. I heard it say the other ay "I'd give my left arm to retire early.". Well he did. So what is a good replacement for the stock prop? Stock again?
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:07 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
WSEN,

Will you share if your SP motor is louder then the OEM motor? I ask because I bought 5 SP from hobby king this year, for the first time, and two of the four I have tested (including the first to fly a plane) were terribly loud, lower in RPM, and poor performers compared to the stock OEM motor. After that first SP, I have been bench testing prior to the swap and the second one installed is the smoothest so far. Speed is now about the same as OEM, with very nice flights times at 90 seconds longer then OEM, but still noisier. I will continue to fly this SP motor but was surprised by the bad armature balance.

Thanks
Corvette,
Interesting. I had heard there were QC issues with them as well. I bought two, just grabbed one and put it on. Cannot tell the difference from the original motor in either noise or performance.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:10 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Ugh I had a prop strike today on a rather light landing and the prop I've been using for over 350 flights all summer finally decided it wanted to give up am arm for early retirement. I heard it say the other ay "I'd give my left arm to retire early.". Well he did. So what is a good replacement for the stock prop? Stock again?
BC,
I am using the 5043 with laser cut wooden adapter on mine. Same one I used with the stock motor. Gives just a little boost in performance as long as your battery is up to the task.

If you don't have any adapters you can build up the shaft with heat shrink. I think ridge or thumper did a video on it some time back. I tried it but like the adapters better.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:16 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...823650&page=70

right at the top of that link ungn talks about the prop

o that was with the extra 300 but im sure they would work with the t-28 to i would think.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:34 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,815 Posts
This prop adapter will fit the prop shaft and also the 5043 prop will fit perfect....http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1933

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:53 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Thanks for your replies guys.. a 5043? really? I have a ton of those.. was looking at it, and it looked a bit too big. This is great to know! I'll build it up with shrink and use a hyperion 180mah.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:29 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Okay I built up the shaft with heat shrink. It took like 6 or 7 pieces of increasing size. Then the GWS 5043 went on snugly!

So I popped a hyperion in the T-28 and took her out under the street lights...

Quote:
Gives just a little boost in performance as long as your battery is up to the task.
A little boost in performance? Surely you jest! It was like light and day.. it woke that plane up and it was so damn quick. Maybe my stock prop was pretty beat up already. I am using the Solo Pro II motor too, so maybe that motor, with the 5043, with hyperions is the ticket.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:59 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Okay I built up the shaft with heat shrink. It took like 6 or 7 pieces of increasing size. Then the GWS 5043 went on snugly!

So I popped a hyperion in the T-28 and took her out under the street lights...
A little boost in performance? Surely you jest! It was like light and day.. it woke that plane up and it was so damn quick.
Ditto here. Did the heat shrink and GSW5043's. There great and make a huge difference.

I also took one of my beat up stock props to make a prop adapter. I cut the blades off and used a drill to reduce diameter of the hub to 4 mm. A snug fit into the GSW5043 prop with a 1.5 mm thread to fit on the prop shaft.

Put a 5043 prop on the Sukhoi 26 XP. Wow! Got to be quick on the sticks.

Using 160 mah Nano Tech Turnigy until I get some 240 maH Hyperion flat packs on order. Next experiment
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:08 AM
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2011
651 Posts
I started getting an occasional loud screeching noise when flying my UM T-28. It lasts a few seconds with loss of power. Is it time to replace the gear box or could it possibly be the motor?
ATC Chilli is offline Find More Posts by ATC Chilli
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:13 AM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Chilli View Post
I started getting an occasional loud screeching noise when flying my UM T-28. It lasts a few seconds with loss of power. Is it time to replace the gear box or could it possibly be the motor?
Most likely the motor, but I would inspect the GB shaft bushings and check the teeth on the plastic gear for missing teeth or uneven wear.
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:08 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
The hyperion 240mahs may be a bit too much for the little T-28. The 180s are already 5.5 grams.

I made a mod for the T-28 that weighed in at 9.4g and when I put that on the T-28 flew like a brick. I'm in the process of remaking that mod with half the weight. Every gram counts at this size. Now the 240mah will be great for the Beast, Stryker, SBach though The 240 will also be good for the T-28, but I think 180 is the sweet spot.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:18 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,793 Posts
Quote:
The hyperion 240mahs may be a bit too much for the little T-28. The 180s are already 5.5 grams.

I made a mod for the T-28 that weighed in at 9.4g and when I put that on the T-28 flew like a brick. I'm in the process of remaking that mod with half the weight. Every gram counts at this size. Now the 240mah will be great for the Beast, Stryker, SBach though The 240 will also be good for the T-28, but I think 180 is the sweet spot.
I agree with you BC, but I do occasionally fly my T with Eflite 500mah batteries with no problems other than a little lack of crispness. The SP Pro motor seems to run better with them too.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:45 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:

The 240 mah Hyperion flat packs weigh 7.5g versus 5g for a 160 Nano Tech or Eflit battery. That is only 2.5g or 6% more on a plane which weighs 38g. I can't see this as being a problem.

I just got my flat packs; will check CG; will test and report back.
Going to try it on the T28 first and then on the Sukhoi 26XP.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo