HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:55 AM
What goes up, will come down..
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
Well, it seems that I have joined the ranks of T-28 owners with bad motors. Mine is 4 weeks old and I have to spin the prop to get it going and even with that it only has about 20% power.No flying until a replacement can be ordered. From what I have read here, it should be a pretty straight forward replacement. Out with the old and in with the new!

BTW: The lights look fantastic!
Willie T is offline Find More Posts by Willie T
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:58 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Well, it seems that I have joined the ranks of T-28 owners with bad motors. Mine is 4 weeks old and I have to spin the prop to get it going and even with that it only has about 20% power.No flying until a replacement can be ordered. From what I have read here, it should be a pretty straight forward replacement. Out with the old and in with the new!

BTW: The lights look fantastic!
Mine lasted just about 4 weeks also. Replaced it with a solo pro. So far so good. No difference in performance but supposed to last longer.

Can you switch the lights on/off on the T? I put a set on my Champ but they are always on. Does drain the battery.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:01 AM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
They are always on but there is very little drain....Where did you get your replacement motor and was it a straight swap? Same battery?
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:09 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
They are always on but there is very little drain....Where did you get your replacement motor and was it a straight swap? Same battery?
Check this thread for info on the motor swap.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326158

Basically you have to change the little gear on the motor shaft and lengthen the wires. Pretty much same power level/battery drain.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:11 AM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Quote:
I've got a brand new T-28 motor/gearbox still in the bag, if your interested let me know.

This is the exact part listed below.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3624
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
From what I have read on the reviews, the footprint is too small for the T-28 but fits the P-51.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:21 AM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Quote:
From what I have read on the reviews, the footprint is too small for the T-28 but fits the P-51.
I'll have to check the Part# when I get home, mine is identical to the one in my T-28. I can take a picture of it next to my T-28 motor/gearbox if you'd like.
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:18 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The proper gearbox is the HBZ4929.

This is the Champ/T-28/Corsair gearbox.

The Mustang uses a different gearbox.

It's possible that HH changed PKZ3624 motor/gearbox to be the Proper T-28/corsair gearbox, but the original PKZ3624's were different from the T-28 gearboxes.

HH has a history of completely changing parts but leaving the part number the same.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:20 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The proper gearbox is the HBZ4929.

This is the Champ/T-28/Corsair gearbox.

The Mustang uses a different gearbox.

It's possible that HH changed PKZ3624 motor/gearbox to be the Proper T-28/corsair gearbox, but the original PKZ3624's were different from the T-28 gearboxes (the mustang mounting flanges are narrower).

HH has a history of completely changing parts but leaving the part number the same.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
Got off the phone with HH. Other than the hold time, super nice service. They are sending me a new motor with the gearbox. I will buy again from them.....maybe the Stryker next!
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:04 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Willie T and Cardnation.......I have switched a P-51 gearbox into my T-28 with no problems. Yes the footprint/bottom flange is smaller but it is easily mounted and secured with hot glue or silicone. Had the gearbox that I salvaged from my old P-51 and have put another 30 plus flights on it in my old UM T-28.
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:16 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Well my T28 is fixed, took it back to where I purchased and was not made to look the fool. After binding the light went solid for about 10 seconds then flickered and went out....swapped it for a new plane on the spot, checked it and away we went Try again on the weekend, thanks for the help guys
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
57 Posts
A bad brick sucks, but your lhs was great swapping it on the spot if it were mine I would have had to send it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Willie T and Cardnation.......I have switched a P-51 gearbox into my T-28 with no problems. Yes the footprint/bottom flange is smaller but it is easily mounted and secured with hot glue or silicone. Had the gearbox that I salvaged from my old P-51 and have put another 30 plus flights on it in my old UM T-28.
I've got sukhoi xp power in mine with the prop, you just have to be creative with the install, finally a use for hot glue in the hobby.
Texair is offline Find More Posts by Texair
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:39 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Had another great time flying my T-28 in front of the house, even though the wind was kicking up. Gotta love this plane, gotta love it I'll post a video in a bit.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:46 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
still waiting for the t-28 fuselage cant fly till i get it the HH website says due late october but the backorder date is still 9-20??????????????????
i bought a night vapor for 50$ brand new because i NEEDED something to fly well it was a windy weekend so i fly it inside and i was dumb and tried doing hovers and flips well ended up breaking that up (no more than a 10$ fix tho no spending any money till i get my t-28 the big one) but i hope that fuselage cames soon is anybody else waiting on the fuselage?
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface