HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 725 86.00%
were just asking for too much 118 14.00%
Voters: 843. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:29 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,968 Posts
Hey RTF, I wrote in the OTCT about how wacked out my T was flying this mourning. I thought I was going to tree her again.
On the 2nd flight I re-trimmed the heck out of her and finally got it settled down. It was one of those days I guess!

At work I looked her over and was sad to see how worn out she's become. What a great plane to take so much abuse and still ask for more.
I glued the loose left wing, tail, and re-adjusted the control rods and she's ready for some RTF rolls and other fun stuff. I guess I've been ignoring her to much lately and let my maintenance slip a little ( lot ). Happy flying.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:32 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,968 Posts
Cadcyg, WAY to pretty to fly. Nice work my man.
Blu
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:21 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I guess I've been ignoring her to much lately and let my maintenance slip a little ( lot )
I've been ignoring mine too, but only because of the constant cold rain we've been getting. I went out this morning to fly my T-28 and the cooler temps after the rain made for some near-zero vis fog.

I'd have returned with my Champ, but the gearbox is still bound up. New motor, gearbox and props should be here tomorrow, after some minor surgery the Champ will be airworthy again...if the weather gods will cooperate...
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:46 AM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Partille
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Just got a UM T-28!

I hoped to get a Champ, but the shop was out of them, and the 20% discount on a RTF T-28 put it at the same price as the Champ (they had 20% off on all Parkzone planes as a "Earlybird" shopping promotion at our mall).

So now I´m awaiting decent weather, the winds are way to gusty now...
Wish me luck!

This is my 2nd UM, the first one is the 4-ch Kyosho Cherokee, wich sadly suffers from a less than decent Tx, still it is flyable, it´s just freaking annoying that the throttle stick is spring loaded back to neutral (I have to hold it at the desiered level at all times).

Tommy
jimjim06 is offline Find More Posts by jimjim06
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:36 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06 View Post
Just got a UM T-28!

I hoped to get a Champ, but the shop was out of them
If you did well with that Cherokee, you'll probably do fine with the T-28. It has good wind penetration but that light airframe HATES gusts and vertical currents.

You might want to get a Champ in any event, it's the sweetest flying plane for relaxing evening or morning flights. I adore mine, just have to replace the motor...but I got 6 months use out of it, flying most mornings with decent weather.

I've been getting nearly half hour flights with mine using the Miniaviation.com 190mah cells too. Mind you, that's scale type flying, not hot dogging around at full throttle all the time. The Champ is meant to fly most of the time at half throttle.
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:20 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I just had my maiden flight of my T-28 last night at my fiancee's mom's house; beautiful place to fly, even has a 20x20 black top , the climb out can be a little steep though and a swing set and tree line make for interesting approaches. All I can say is the T-28 flys like a dream, smooth and controlled; I was even able to fly for a bit on high-rates (this is my first aileron plane), until a young hawk tried to attack it, but no damage was done to either and I called it a day.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:32 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,968 Posts
T-28UM new day

I can't say it enough, this is a GREAT little plane that everyone should have in the hanger.

Yesterday I took her out after not having flown her or kept up on the maintenance for quite awhile and the two flights were unstable and not fun at all.
So as I mentioned earlier I fixed it up and tuned it up for today's flights.

HOT DOG BABY! This thing is back. She's flying steady and true again. Four flights doing scale slow fly by's, multi-rolls, snaps, loops, long inverted's (which are really getting to be super fun the longer they get) and even a couple of short hovers. I bet a better pilot like RTF or Ridge could hover these things far longer than me. I'm a happy camper today, fun flying and no crashing!

Blu
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2freighter View Post
If you did well with that Cherokee, you'll probably do fine with the T-28. It has good wind penetration but that light airframe HATES gusts and vertical currents.

You might want to get a Champ in any event, it's the sweetest flying plane for relaxing evening or morning flights. I adore mine, just have to replace the motor...but I got 6 months use out of it, flying most mornings with decent weather.

I've been getting nearly half hour flights with mine using the Miniaviation.com 190mah cells too. Mind you, that's scale type flying, not hot dogging around at full throttle all the time. The Champ is meant to fly most of the time at half throttle.
I will get a Champ! It reminds me of my first 3-Ch plane, The Graupner Amateur, that one had a 0.10 OS Max engine it could "putter" around on almost idle, took me 3months to complete, all balsa and tissue.
Later I converted it to electric with a Mabucci 540S and nicads, it got heavy but still flew, it was my first electric "sports plane". The Champ looks really relaxing, if you want it to be that...

Anyhoo, sitting here with my new plane, cursing the weather, lets see what tomorrow brings (sun is down here now).
The T-28 just hit LVC, running in the motor on my desk. I wondered why the motor started "pulsing", maybe time to actually read the manual?

Tommy
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Just checked miniaviation.com.
Does the 190mAh batteries fit in the T-28? EDIT: I just read that they do, at the site.
I got 1 extra battery, an E-Flite 130 mAh, and that was half the price of a 5-pack of 190mAh´s from Miniaviation (including freight to Sweden).
BTW the miniaviation website calls them "190mha - 25c - MCX Platinum Battery", but I guess the "mha" bit is a typo.

Tommy
Last edited by jimjim06; Sep 23, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Flew the FBC 2 and the T this morning. The T was amazing as usual and the FBC 2 went great. I was diving toward the earth with the T doing aileron rolls on the vertical, then put in some rudder and got her to spin. Went trough a soccer goal and lots of other fun stuff will get the vid up soon.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:09 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
UM T-28 Trojan

UM T-28 Trojan Stunts Part 3 (3 min 37 sec)

This was the second flight this morning the first was the Firebird Commander 2
What a great little plane I think the vid says it all. the last half I am holding a knife edge but not enough rudder to hold her up so its a KE in a decent lol. what a blast.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:05 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Quick question guys. I ordered a T-28 and it should be here in a week or so. How difficult is it to fly with the stock Tx? I am very comfortable with both of my Champs. Also, is the Dx5e a good enough Tx for the T-28?
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:09 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06 View Post
Just checked miniaviation.com.
Does the 190mAh batteries fit in the T-28? EDIT: I just read that they do, at the site.
I got 1 extra battery, an E-Flite 130 mAh, and that was half the price of a 5-pack of 190mAh´s from Miniaviation (including freight to Sweden).
BTW the miniaviation website calls them "190mha - 25c - MCX Platinum Battery", but I guess the "mha" bit is a typo.

Tommy
I got 5 of 'em also. Work great in the Champ, T-28, and the Beast (with a Y harness)

Can use the 5043 (I think that is the right number?) prop and it has plenty of power, long flights.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:10 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Quick question guys. I ordered a T-28 and it should be here in a week or so. How difficult is it to fly with the stock Tx? I am very comfortable with both of my Champs. Also, is the Dx5e a good enough Tx for the T-28?
I flew mine with the stock transmitter for some time. No problem. Start on low rates.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:13 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
... is the Dx5e a good enough Tx for the T-28?
Absolutely, but you would be so much better served with the DX6i, for no other reason than the 10 model memory. Fly Embers, Champs, T-28's, Mustangs, Corsairs, Mossies all from the same transmitter, with trim settings all saved specific to each plane. The DX6i had to be one of my best decisions when developing my Micro Fleet!

FWIW

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac