Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 720 86.02%
were just asking for too much 117 13.98%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:17 AM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
I really really like it! I hate the big one's looks, but this little guy looks awesome! My Grandma used to say: "all babies look cute, even mules".
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:42 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,707 Posts
Check by HH's UStream Page for a sneak peak today 3pm Central. 10pm GMT. There should also be a few other sneak peaks of some new cool products...
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:59 AM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Just got put on parkzone site: http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...rodID=PKZU1580
$99 confirmed.
cloakscott is offline Find More Posts by cloakscott
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:59 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
This is tough to evaluate.

I loved the first three UM scale jobs, and I may have set a record for airtime with my cub, flying it several hours in one day, but I think it's time to start sticking hotter motors in these things.

The problem is that hotter motors mean bigger batteries etc and the next thing you know you don't have an ultra micro. My P-51's fly surprisingly well for something with an under cambered wing but the best aerobatic plane from a standpoint of control is still the Sukhoi, which flies like a much larger plane and will handle huge amounts of wind. It was way underpowered at release and is the only UM that underwent a redesign to give it more power.

The market for UM is well established, but price still dictates what HH will risk putting on the market. I would probably buy something with a brushless motor because it would save me the problem of having to put one in myself, but I don't blame HH for being hesitant about coming out with an ultra micro that costs as much as their bigger versions.

Oh well, I've got a pile of tiny brushless motors for me to get off my butt and upgrade what I already have. Only the Sukhoi with its symmetrical wing can actually handle the power without worrying.

I will probably get the Trojan, but it really does seem underpowered from the spec's and is probably the first one that I am thinking of buying where I start out worrying that I am going to have to put some work in on it before I even get my hands on it.

Imaging a new plane coming out and I am prepared to buy it with considerable reluctance because I am afraid that it will not live up to what I am picturing it should be able to do.

The larger one burns a lot of impressive holes in the sky at my club and I really don't think this one is going to be able to do in miniature what the big one does.

I'm also running out of room with all these boxes around the house! We need micro carrying cases!

Hey Horison, how about a case that will hold four ultra micros WITHOUT the charger and Tx so we can cut down on the space each separate box takes up! The DX6i doesn't fit in the box anyway and I usually carry the four cell charger so the boxes the planes come in are over sized anyway.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:08 AM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post

I loved the first three UM scale jobs, and I may have set a record for airtime with my cub, flying it several hours in one day, but I think it's time to start sticking hotter motors in these things.
Yeah I'm wondering if we'd pay the $150 BNF price for a 1s brushless premium ultra-micro. I'm thinking I would when I wear out my Sukhoi.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:14 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkintx View Post
i suggest it watch the video at the top of the first page under the pz link you will be sorely dissapointed with the speed unless its like all the p-51 vids were no one fly WOT that pissed me off cause wen i bought it throttled up and released i crapped my pants at how fast it was
i bought a P51 to my dad and i fly it from time to time, i like a lot how it flies, i just wanted one that looks different. the T28 is really nice but it looks heavy yet slower and can't roll as easily (yet the P51 is a lot easier than the sukhoi)

Or maybe I'll buy some cub fuselage and wings and put my sukhoi (RIP - just can't glue it anymore lol) guts inside
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:40 AM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakscott View Post
Yeah I'm wondering if we'd pay the $150 BNF price for a 1s brushless premium ultra-micro. I'm thinking I would when I wear out my Sukhoi.
I think if they keep the price at under $100, more people are likely to just buy every single micro plane that comes out. But if they raise the price to $150ish, then some people will start to skip some of the models.

Also, at under $100, I'm ok with letting noobs try it out cause I know I can get a brand new one easily. But at $150, no noob will be touching the plane. The $150 price tage will mean that PZ will lose on some free marketing me (and others like me) would be doing for them.

Maybe e-flite should come out with a brushless UM.
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:41 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakscott View Post
Just got put on parkzone site: http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...rodID=PKZU1580
$99 confirmed.
I posted that link earlier at 3am and the link for the video sorry bud
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:41 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,707 Posts
Btw guys, something else i have noticed, it has a steerable nose wheel. Perhaps that is where the extra weight is from!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:44 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
Joined Aug 2009
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Btw guys, something else i have noticed, it has a steerable tail wheel. Perhaps that is where the extra weight is from!
Stearable Nose wheel.... And no it's probably from the beefier fuse
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:45 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_Drift View Post
I think if they keep the price at under $100, more people are likely to just buy every single micro plane that comes out. But if they raise the price to $150ish, then some people will start to skip some of the models.

Also, at under $100, I'm ok with letting noobs try it out cause I know I can get a brand new one easily. But at $150, no noob will be touching the plane. The $150 price tage will mean that PZ will lose on some free marketing me (and others like me) would be doing for them.

Maybe e-flite should come out with a brushless UM.

I think that he why he proposed a special edition one. For the people willing to pay that bit extra for the BL systems.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:48 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
Joined Aug 2009
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post

The problem is that hotter motors mean bigger batteries etc and the next thing you know you don't have an ultra micro. My P-51's fly surprisingly well for something with an under cambered wing but the best aerobatic plane from a standpoint of control is still the Sukhoi, which flies like a much larger plane and will handle huge amounts of wind. It was way underpowered at release and is the only UM that underwent a redesign to give it more power.

The market for UM is well established, but price still dictates what HH will risk putting on the market. I would probably buy something with a brushless motor because it would save me the problem of having to put one in myself, but I don't blame HH for being hesitant about coming out with an ultra micro that costs as much as their bigger versions.

Oh well, I've got a pile of tiny brushless motors for me to get off my butt and upgrade what I already have. Only the Sukhoi with its symmetrical wing can actually handle the power without worrying.

I will probably get the Trojan, but it really does seem underpowered from the spec's and is probably the first one that I am thinking of buying where I start out worrying that I am going to have to put some work in on it before I even get my hands on it.

Imaging a new plane coming out and I am prepared to buy it with considerable reluctance because I am afraid that it will not live up to what I am picturing it should be able to do.

The larger one burns a lot of impressive holes in the sky at my club and I really don't think this one is going to be able to do in miniature what the big one does.

I'm also running out of room with all these boxes around the house! We need micro carrying cases!

Hey Horison, how about a case that will hold four ultra micros WITHOUT the charger and Tx so we can cut down on the space each separate box takes up! The DX6i doesn't fit in the box anyway and I usually carry the four cell charger so the boxes the planes come in are over sized anyway.

Pete
Check out this thread to post some ideas for horizon I've covered slot of this and there are some ideas on symmetrical wings that people have posted in there

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283014
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:50 AM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkintx View Post
I posted that link earlier at 3am and the link for the video sorry bud
Ah sorry I had tried clicking and it didn't seem to work, perhaps caching for me.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:51 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,707 Posts
I would have thought they would have used the AR6400L brick for more precise controls, but they have opted for the standard AR6400.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:55 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
Joined Aug 2009
2,118 Posts
A gear box brushless combo would easily solve the need for a 2s system the Chinese gear box and brushless 6500kv sells mark up at $23 and the 1.5 amp esc for $11 now they already make e-flite 160mah batteries at 14c. That's $34 extra and say add $10 for the name because we all know eflite n parkzone is through horizon and they markup everything! So that puts u at $150 UM t-28d se (special edition) do it horizon