SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:03 PM
Joined Jul 2008
8 Posts
Thanks for the tips...I'll try it out and see if it works!
ANoble is offline Find More Posts by ANoble
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:04 PM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
US seller for Turnigy Nano-Tech LiPos

I've purchased some of these from an eBay store in MA:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1456wt_1141

Had them within a few days, and they seem to work well in my Blade mSR heli (I'm getting about 7 min flights w/o hitting the LVC, and they're barely warm after some aggressive flying). This works out to $3/each, so is a relatively cheap and quick way to try these out.

Just got a T-28 UM, but it's been so windy here for the past week, I haven't had the guts to try flying it yet. So, I can't yet attest to how well these batteries work in the T-28. Hope to get out this weekend if the weather permits. I'll try these batteries if I get to fly, and will let you know ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
true... actually, I have heard good things about those nano's... the HK ones I've used in the past are the Turnigy & FlightMax ones... el crappo

I think the next HK order I place I'll put a couple of those nano's on there and try em out ... what ones are you seeing good results from... 130 mAh or 160 mAh?

*** I would also add to this the wait times.... sloooow boat from China is a 2-3 week wait.... buyin' here in US is about 3-5 days... which is a factor sometimes
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:09 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
Awesome !
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:11 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post
I've purchased some of these from an eBay store in MA:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1456wt_1141

Had them within a few days, and they seem to work well in my Blade mSR heli (I'm getting about 7 min flights w/o hitting the LVC, and they're barely warm after some aggressive flying). This works out to $3/each, so is a relatively cheap and quick way to try these out.

Just got a T-28 UM, but it's been so windy here for the past week, I haven't had the guts to try flying it yet. So, I can't yet attest to how well these batteries work in the T-28. Hope to get out this weekend if the weather permits. I'll try these batteries if I get to fly, and will let you know ....
They say $14.99 for one...?
Is that the correct price?

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:27 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
They say $14.99 for one...?
Is that the correct price?

Ridgewalker
Dude, it says "5" at the title!
3 bucks each with free shipping. I have 8 of these...they're good, not great, but get the job done.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:30 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Dude, it says "5" at the title!
3 bucks each with free shipping. I have 8 of these...they're good, not great, but get the job done.
Ya' but where it says quantity it says 1 !

EDIT:
Plus you have to sign in to buy...i'm not an ebay member.

I'll pass.lol

Ridgewalker
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:54 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
I have a dozen or so of the nanotech 160's and I cant fault them yet. The price is def right!!
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:11 PM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
That's 1 "set" of 5. I certainly got 5 batts when I ordered these. But, yes, you do need to get an eBay account (and usually a PayPal acct. as well) to purchase things there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Ya' but where it says quantity it says 1 !

EDIT:
Plus you have to sign in to buy...i'm not an ebay member.

I'll pass.lol

Ridgewalker
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post
That's 1 "set" of 5. I certainly got 5 batts when I ordered these. But, yes, you do need to get an eBay account (and usually a PayPal acct. as well) to purchase things there.
Thanks,i had clicked on the buy now button and it brought me to a sign in screen so i couldn't check on it any further than where the link takes you.

No big deal..lol...not the first time i have been confused

Ridgewalker
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:13 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Hoping to get back into the air after 3 years or so...

Was going to do an E-Starter as new to ailerons, but I am wanting to do less expensive as I need everything to start and this sounds decent enough for a new aileron flyer from what you all are saying (only 60 pages into reading the thread though). I did 2-3 years on an Aerobird Challenger back a few years, so would be needing TX, charger, everything to get in the air.

Back then, I got interested by taking my daughter to the local field for an air show they held. I ended up with the Aerobird. A hobbyshop was on site and had the Cox warbirds which was very interesting to me.

Now I go back to watch the airshow again with my daughter a few weeks ago and I'm feeling the pain of wanting to fly again. Was going to do the E-Starter as I said, but I would end up with cheapie Hobbyking charger and radio to keep costs down. Would still cost me about $150-160 with the Hobbyking stuff.

These PZ micro warplanes remind me of the Cox warplanes from several years ago, except the Cox were rudder/elevator. I was hoping the local hobby shop will have the UM T-28 for the same price I'm seeing online at $99 RTF.

But, I think I've got myself talked into just going all out with the DX6i. If anything, I'll at least go with a DX5e to have a better TX than the RTF, but I'm also hoping to get into some scratch built foamboard planes in the future which a computer radio would be far better for that.

So, stopping at the hobby shop on the way home this afternoon. Last time I stopped the sign said open, the hours said open, his dog came running down from the house to meet me, but the lights were off and there was no one to be found. Looked like the shelves were packed full, so I imagine the shop is still running. I've only visited the shop one other time about 4 days after he opened and didn't have much stock in yet at that time...
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:40 AM
Newbie extraordinaire
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
If you're going to be getting more than one plane in the near future, get the DX6i. It will save you the hassle of having to learn the "feel" of more than one radio, and give you a lot of growing room.

Check out the classifieds. There's a DX6i that goes through there every once in a while and you could save some change that way.
hoff3rt is offline Find More Posts by hoff3rt
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:45 AM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
Lafayette, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
743 Posts
Welcome to the madness mrodgers.

If it was me I would definitely go with the DX6i. It is a fully programmable 6 Ch TX with a 10 model memory. The 5e is ok but if you plan on getting a few more planes you can't beat the 6i.

The UM T-28 is a great bird. But it can be a hand full if you're not used to 4 channel. I started out with the UM Champ which is 3 channel and a dream to fly. But the T-28 is my favorite bird right now.

I'm sure some of the other fellers on here will chime in soon.

Again welcome and don't hesitate to ask questions or post pics and comments.

Mark

ps

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...s=dx6i&x=6&y=7

If you add to the shopping cart the price will $139.99 for a DX6i. If you set up an account you can get email discounts and stuff. I have purchased two planes from these folks with no problems and great service.
Steppenwolf is offline Find More Posts by Steppenwolf
Last edited by Steppenwolf; Jul 07, 2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added vendor url.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:59 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Welcome mrogers,

+1 on the Champ and the Dx6i, then graduate to the T-28. You won't regret getting the better radio upfront. Better resolution = better flying.

Mark
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:52 PM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
T-28

I fly most all of the Um series and always come back to the T-28 great plane, esp with the mixes on the dx6i set around 50%.full rates. Great plane to practice landings on, not so great at rolls etc. Nice indoor and slow flying too. does not stall out like P51 or suk.
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:02 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
Is it the dihedral in the wing on the T-28 the reason why the rolls are not so great?

Ridgewalker