HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:13 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Discussion
WM Ultimate EP meets soccer goal post!!

Well, my purdy purple WM Ultimate EP ain't so purdy anymore, thanks to my poor depth perception and a stupid soccer goal post - who would figure there might be a soccer goal on a soccer field.....yeah!!!

Man, if flew great and landed perfectly......the first time; but, the second time I was bringing it in and I was CERTAIN it was clear of the goal.........wrong - busted up both wings on the right side. So, I collected as many pieces of balsa that I could find, came home and glued it back together the best I could. Looks pretty ugly, but I think it will fly.

Haven't been doing so well since I came over to balsa from foam; and, foam is so much easier to fix than balsa. But, there is just something about a covered balsa plane that is irresistable to me. Sure hope my luck improves before my 3DHS 41" Edge gets here next week. Man, that is one pretty orange plane, and I would die (no, really my wife will kill me!!) if I destroy that one on its maiden.

Happy flyin everyone.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:10 AM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
sgomes,

I fly in a socker field ...8 goals...two trees on the perimeter. Sometimes I feel like a rat in a maze. I stayed with Epp for just that reason.

Balsa building is the epitome of model building. I can't handle the carnage!

I feel your pain.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:31 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,463 Posts
Yesp, those posts kept the US team from advancing on the world cup...

...oh, yeah, soccer posts and rc planes won't mix well ...
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:06 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about the post they hit - man that was a shame.

Well, it flies like new - looks like , but flies like new. Kept my eyes on the goals this time - it's becoming a bit of a challenge.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:26 PM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,192 Posts
Hit a lacrosse goal once and almost tangled with a portable football goal (has wheels) on the same practice field. Now I tend to look around before landing and if the (movable) obstacle is close bye, I'll walk over and stand next to it so I know where it is.

Trees are another thing altogether. They tend to create downdrafts when the wind comes from the tree line or pull the plane toward them when wind is directed toward them. Have to remember we're floating on a river of moving air.

Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Last edited by Al Offt; Jul 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:49 PM
San Diego
Joined May 2010
134 Posts
I used to fly in a stadium parking lot, before they outlawed RC planes. I always found it surprising, considering how little airspace the light poles actually took up, how often somebody's plane would hit one of them anyway.
QuadManiac is offline Find More Posts by QuadManiac