HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Discussion
Stringed instrument tuners... what do you use?

I can generally tune a piano or other stringed instrument by ear and come out nearly perfect, however these new tuners are simply wonderful and quite affordable.

How many use them.. Pitch pipes or just have an ear for proper tuning?
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:43 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,287 Posts
This one is the best for guitars. Just clamp to the head, works on electrics, basses, and acoustics, anything with strings. Even works with a capo.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/E...tal_Tuner.html
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:44 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
I can tune a guitar to its self for the most part.I suppose in theory I could tune a piano to it's self. I'd still require some sort of devise to get the starting pitch right. Always used a tuner when playing the trumpet in school. I can sing in tune for the most part. But my wife, while could play an instrument, can't sing a note. Practically tone def you would think.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
I've tuned my Ukulele just by ear for the past few months and yesterday I bought a little clip on tuner and wow was I shocked at how nearly in perfect tune it was.
Same with my banjo and guitars.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
This one is the best for guitars. Just clamp to the head, works on electrics, basses, and acoustics, anything with strings. Even works with a capo.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/E...tal_Tuner.html
I like those little jewels for tuning.

For some reason I prefer to have my instruments tuned a bit lower than normal, just a fret mind you. (my voice is happy/relaxed with that pitch)
Those chromatic tuners are the way to go for that.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
I"m using these..whatyoucallthem...tuningrods? Pieces of metal that are tuned to A 440, and vibrate when you knock them and touch the guitar body surface.
Just looking for a used EJ-200 superjumbo..selling my Ibanez.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:53 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
I"m using these..whatyoucallthem...tuningrods? Pieces of metal that are tuned to A 440, and vibrate when you knock them and touch the guitar body surface.
Just looking for a used EJ-200 superjumbo..selling my Ibanez.
Tuning forks. Rods are what you find water with.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
My son uses his friends piano to tune his guitars. I don't know how his friends piano is tuned, but I know they have a service come out a couple times a year.

Last Christmas I got my son a Les Paul Studio robot. I was skeptical at first, but the thing works great.
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:10 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
If you perform with a group, and you care about your audience, Tuning is very important.

The cheapo "clip on tuners" won't do the job on stage. Everyone in the band needs to tune on the same tuner. (they are all different) The tuner needs to have big clear and easy to recognize indicators.

No,
....a banjo can not be tuned.
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:17 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
618 Posts
When I played violin at school I tuned by ear, Teacher would play the note and we tuned to that. It worked.
Same thing in the school orchestra, my music teacher could spot an out of tune 2nd violin in the third row every time, you soon learned.
Now I sometimes tune the guitar to itself, but if I am jamming with a mate I use a tuner so we are both starting from the same basis. Not that I have jammed for ages, or am I any good.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:37 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
I sometimes used to use an electric tuner when rehearsing but for the most part I would just tune up my bass from the lead guitar. Tuning using songs I knew that were on CD (not tapes, they could be half a tone out) was another way or a trick I learned from a pro guitarist, use a landline phone, ring the number you were calling from and the 'engaged' tone would be in 'G'. Only of use in the UK, I've no idea what key the engaged tone is elsewhere...
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:48 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
I tune to those I play with - we can all be 'out' of course

I do have a Korg guitar tuner and you can download 'apps' for the Ifone and the like now too!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:51 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimb0 View Post
The cheapo "clip on tuners" won't do the job on stage. Everyone in the band needs to tune on the same tuner.
??? When we got 1000 guitars to play together all at once, everybody had their own tuner, and it worked out just fine. If we had all waited on the same tuner, we would still be there tuning up. .

AFAIK, no one I know who plays professionally, expects everyone to use the same tuner. I've done many hundreds of amateur performances, and I've never had any problem using different tuners.

Me simply playing the wrong notes, now, yes.....
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:51 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
We use an Intellitouch clip on electronic tuner,which works fine. The Pod floorboard and some of the other devices have in-built tuners as well, but it's the Intellitouch that gets used most, especially when changing strings. After playing for a while, guitar players tend to develop an ear for what an "A" sounds like and can take it from there.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:57 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
I have used multiple ones, but my favorite is the Boss TU-15. It has an analog needle that I prefer over the digital ones.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/TU-15/

If I tune with some of my other cheaper ones, this one shows it differently. IMHO, the TU-15 is more accurate and usable.

I do not use that accu-pitch feature.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme