HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
@Bad400
Good analysys of motors, thanks.

All motors are designed diferently, some are more efficient than others.
An efficient motor is one that has low heat loss.
In converting electrical energy into mecanical energy, one of the products of the conversion is heat. This is wasted energy. I squared R losses occur in all electronis systems.

I have several Walkera heli's that use innefficient motors, and ESC's that are inadequate to handle the current required by the motor. Sometimes they brownout, other times they just drop to the ground. I've replaced the ESC's with higher current rated ESC's, and they work just fine, and run much cooler.

I'm not a Walkera basher, quite the opposite. I think they put out a good product, but their motors, and ESC's leave something to be desired.

Anyway, I'm looking for a better motor because I like this heli.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:20 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
maybe this motor will work http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...ushless/Detail
i had it with a 13t pinion in one of my 450`s, wasnt a big block nitro injected v8, but it wasnt a dog either.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post
maybe this motor will work http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...ushless/Detail
i had it with a 13t pinion in one of my 450`s, wasnt a big block nitro injected v8, but it wasnt a dog either.
Looks good , and the right size shaft.
Thanks for the tip.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:54 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
Align DS410M's on the V450

Put DS410M's on the V450 cyclics, now Im actually glad i didnt sell this heli. One word.......SOLID

No more vibes and winceing while flying wondering if those Walkera servos were gonna give up the ghost at any time, or watching the heli wobble with the gains turned up. It has the cyclic power now to do hard punchouts and the swash moves smoothly with the 3 axis without that jerking movement from the 09's metal gear slop.

Lesson learned;
If spending 80 bucks on a set of 09's might as well spend 100 on the DS410m's. or the Savox equivalent. One thing to be aware of is in order to keep the stock geometry and your radio settings is to drill a hole 10mm on center from the servo spline on the DS4 servo arm, the servo rod sits back a few degrees instead of it being straight up and down with the walkera 08/09 servos. But only on the front Aile and Pit, Elev stays straight. Other than that they are a drop in fit for anyone looking to put these in.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,330 Posts
FYI - the WK-09-9 are ~$20-30 overpriced at WOW. You can pickup a set from Helipal for $50 plus shipping. The quality remains the same though.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
1,982 Posts
2650 mah blue lipo

These batteries really make the heli wake up. As if it needed it.....l but then i tryed to swap my main blades to some white ones and my wobble came back really bad. I guess it could be the blades needing balancing. But i had this wobble when it was brand new . I turned my gyros down to make flyable, should i turn them down more. What is everyones rx settings. But my gyros on my smaller helis are turned up more than this one,
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
These batteries really make the heli wake up. As if it needed it.....l but then i tryed to swap my main blades to some white ones and my wobble came back really bad. I guess it could be the blades needing balancing. But i had this wobble when it was brand new . I turned my gyros down to make flyable, should i turn them down more. What is everyones rx settings. But my gyros on my smaller helis are turned up more than this one,
How does it like the added weight?
They weigh about 100g more than the 2.2 amp ones I'm using.
Do they fit under the stock canopy?

I have my gyros set at 12 O'clock. Right between the - + signs. It fly's great, no wobble, hunting or vibration.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:29 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
1,982 Posts
It dont care about the weight, thats for sure, its a very snug fit , i put tape around canopy to not have any problems, i think my wobble may have been a servo bolt missing, and then i broke off a swash ball
Thanks for rx settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
How does it like the added weight?
They weigh about 100g more than the 2.2 amp ones I'm using.
Do they fit under the stock canopy?

I have my gyros set at 12 O'clock. Right between the - + signs. It fly's great, no wobble, hunting or vibration.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Last edited by Heli Biggie; Feb 20, 2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Tail wagging after changing main blades from stock to Align 325 carbon? Gyro rate was at 80%, it wag even when lowering it to 60%. I don't want to go back to stock main blades because the Align 325 are suppose to break upon impact causing less damage to heli.
Finally got rid 99% of tail wag, by lowering gyro rate to (works good at 65 and 70%). Just weird that tail wag after changing main blades to shorter Align 325 blades.
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:28 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Finally got rid 99% of tail wag, by lowering gyro rate to (works good at 65 and 70%). Just weird that tail wag after changing main blades to shorter Align 325 blades.
Remember the whole initial purpose of the tail rotor is to counter the torque generated by the main rotors (and to then be able to alter it's own output slightly to 'allow' the tail to yaw on command also).

So it doesn't surprise me a lot that changing main blade size (or weight or profile) might impact what the gyro (and therefore the tail) does, unless it is 're-tuned' for the changes.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:31 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Remember the whole initial purpose of the tail rotor is to counter the torque generated by the main rotors (and to then be able to alter it's own output slightly to 'allow' the tail to yaw on command also).

So it doesn't surprise me a lot that changing main blade size (or weight or profile) might impact what the gyro (and therefore the tail) does, unless it is 're-tuned' for the changes.
See, ok I understand it now, anyone using Align blades and what are your gyro rates on it? Mine set to around 65%.
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Feb 2011
10 Posts
Mainshaft Alternative?

Dear All,

Any idea if other brands of main shaft will fit this bird?

Trex 450 perhaps?

Thanks!
usmonkey is offline Find More Posts by usmonkey
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
FYI - the WK-09-9 are ~$20-30 overpriced at WOW. You can pickup a set from Helipal for $50 plus shipping. The quality remains the same though.
Thats ashame, what can you say........I guess I got a bad batch of Walkera servos. Out of the original 3-08's that came with the heli 2 still work and are actually tighter than the 09-MG's, out of the 3-09's i bought for 80 bux, all 3 burned out the fet driver board, which is a non repairable board. I tried to do a fet transplant to fix them, but the board is so cheap the traces just burn off with the slightest amount of heat.

When I took apart the DS410m, inside you find that there is a decent circuit board circa 2010 with good soldering, the POT and the motor are hard soldered to the circuit board, so no undergauged thin wires are stuffed in the case. This eliminates any extra wireing beside the 3 servo input wires. With the walkera servos the soldering was poor, very poor, and there were a few close calls with shorts from the hand soldering done at the factory. The motor and pot are connected to the main boad via these thin red wires that get jammed into the servo case and its just an accident waiting to happen if you ask me. On that famouse hoopla advertisement what they dont show you is the back of the servo where all the wireing mess is.

Guarenteed way to burn out at least one of your WK servos........go in to throttle hold and move the pitch and cyclic sticks up and down side to side agressively and continuously for 30-60 seconds, watch the RX start to blink and finally shut off from the shorted servo. Thats how easy it was to burn out 4 of these WK 08/09 servos. Did the same test with the 410's and no problem, head is nice and smooth.

One good thing, at least the WK-2702V had short protedtion circuitry as it still works fine after 4 burnt out servos.

If i cant run the servos at full collective and cyclic for 30 seconds on the bench, I dont trust the heli as safe to fly I had a belt CP come at me once when a servo died in mid air and since then im slightly paronoid with cheap servos.

That's my 8,600 cents worth.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Feb 21, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:21 PM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
That's my 8,600 cents worth.
Nice, in-depth, servo pro's n con's post. I also had one 09-8 servo die in the box. I replaced all the originals with 09-9s but haven't flown it much since and from what you're saying maybe its a good thing. I do have some Savox servos for it and I had no idea the insides were so different.
Even a well set up heli vibrates a bit and fewer flapping wires in critical control components seems like the right way to go.
On a 120 it's not such a big deal but a dead 450 coming your way in a hurry is not a good thing.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:27 PM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Can someone send me the sports setup for the 2801? thanks
jhebbel@gmail.com
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
RCG Plus Member