SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:33 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
HeliFlyer711's Avatar
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
As for the shaking on spool up I notice that my main blades are kind of tight and this contributes to shaking since the blades have not fully straightened out. I notice when I spool up more slowly the shaking is not that intense. I see that perhaps a better cure in my case is to loosen the blades so they pivot more freely instead of having them semi tight.
Its true it seems the V450D01 like the blades installed a little loose in the holders thats how it is on my V450. I noticed a big difference in lateral movements, where sometimes you will see the head wobble a little in flight. With the blades loose that doesnt happen any more. The MG servos can develop slop over time and thats the issue along with the gains being too high and blades maybe too tight.

I really like the idea of using a grommet on the servo output arm and may look into that. Ultimately I hope they come out with a nice tight MG servo for these helis, until then you have to dial any wobble out (Blades, Gains and servos).
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Sep 18, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:43 PM
Registered User
kmm77's Avatar
canada
Joined Sep 2010
55 Posts
Has anyone found out if you can fit a trex 450 canopy on the v450?
kmm77 is offline Find More Posts by kmm77
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:26 PM
Registered User
dgibbons's Avatar
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Its true it seems the V450D01 like the blades installed a little loose in the holders thats how it is on my V450. I noticed a big difference in lateral movements, where sometimes you will see the head wobble a little in flight. With the blades loose that doesnt happen any more. The MG servos can develop slop over time and thats the issue along with the gains being too high and blades maybe too tight.

I really like the idea of using a grommet on the servo output arm and may look into that. Ultimately I hope they come out with a nice tight MG servo for these helis, until then you have to dial any wobble out (Blades, Gains and servos).
Friend of mine just installed Savox 0257 on the cyclis on his v450d01. He said they were a drop in fit. It's a nice servo. You can get replacement gears if you strip one. $32.99 Servo & $11 for replacement gear.

http://heli-heli.com/items/electroni...7mg-detail.htm

http://heli-heli.com/items/electroni...7mg-detail.htm
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:49 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Devon
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Its true it seems the V450D01 like the blades installed a little loose in the holders thats how it is on my V450. I noticed a big difference in lateral movements, where sometimes you will see the head wobble a little in flight. With the blades loose that doesnt happen any more. The MG servos can develop slop over time and thats the issue along with the gains being too high and blades maybe too tight.

I really like the idea of using a grommet on the servo output arm and may look into that. Ultimately I hope they come out with a nice tight MG servo for these helis, until then you have to dial any wobble out (Blades, Gains and servos).
Hi,
On this subject I installed 2 grommets today on my V450d01, as an experiment I used the rubber dampers that fit inside the main rotorhead. I had one spare and merely cut them in half and fitted them to the aileron and pitch servos. The shake has now completely gone. The 09 metal servos do seem to be poorly made as they have a lot of backlash in them. I intend to fit 'o' rings when I source them as someone here as already done.

Jim
jimlennie is offline Find More Posts by jimlennie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:41 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
HeliFlyer711's Avatar
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbons View Post
Friend of mine just installed Savox 0257 on the cyclis on his v450d01. He said they were a drop in fit. It's a nice servo. You can get replacement gears if you strip one. $32.99 Servo & $11 for replacement gear.

http://heli-heli.com/items/electroni...7mg-detail.htm

http://heli-heli.com/items/electroni...7mg-detail.htm
Hey that is a great find, how did the geometry of the linkages match up with the stock servos.

What i found was that I could find servo dimensions that would fit the V450D01 but the new servo arm was either too far out, in, up or down to preseve the 90* angles of the links to the swash. That would mean modify the frame or lose geometric setups.

Thanks for the links, it be nice if he could post a picture and some tips for us here if possible.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:56 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
My black Airwolf spun out and crashed due to a bad rear rudder servo. Had to replace the fuselage but the stock metal cyclic servos held out and no other damage. WOW hobbies carries a rudder servo for the V450D01 which is not stock, which I am trying now.

As for the fuselage, two different ones were available at LHS. The Align MD500 definitely does not fit (I bought the V450 mechanics to the store to try it out) even after relocating the Rx and rear servo to fit better under the boom. The Align Black Airwolf was chosen, but it is not as black as the one from the last time I bought, perhaps from RC Aerodyne. This could be trouble when the time comes to touch up with black paint but for now I am happy with it.

Oh, something else I discovered about the V450; the thing will act crazy, spin, tilt over on the ground and will never take off if the rudder servo arm is swinging the wrong way. Reversing the TX control will not help. I found this out when I re-installed the new servo and had the arm centered pointing up instead of centered pointing down.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Sep 20, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:48 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
Urrl, I know what you mean with installing stuff reversed. I now like to take a few snaps with the phone before I muck about with the servos/linkages. I had the Mode 2 PIT-AILE issue and couldn't understand how it was possible having triple checked the manual.

I sometimes wonder how impossible it would be to fly with the throttle and elevator linked together... one to try in a sim! I guess it might be possible in idle up with a little brainware update.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:17 AM
MSR,Walkera 120D01,180Z,V450
Long Island NY
Joined Sep 2010
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
My black Airwolf spun out and crashed due to a bad rear rudder servo. Had to replace the fuselage but the stock metal cyclic servos held out and no other damage. WOW hobbies carries a rudder servo for the V450D01 which is not stock, which I am trying now.

As for the fuselage, two different ones were available at LHS. The Align MD500 definitely does not fit (I bought the V450 mechanics to the store to try it out) even after relocating the Rx and rear servo to fit better under the boom. The Align Black Airwolf was chosen, but it is not as black as the one from the last time I bought, perhaps from RC Aerodyne. This could be trouble when the time comes to touch up with black paint but for now I am happy with it.

Oh, something else I discovered about the V450; the thing will act crazy, spin, tilt over on the ground and will never take off if the rudder servo arm is swinging the wrong way. Reversing the TX control will not help. I found this out when I re-installed the new servo and had the arm centered pointing up instead of centered pointing down.

I just took a look at my V450 which is stock except for the metal gear servos and my tail servo has the arm pointing down, it flies fine...
badbob10 is offline Find More Posts by badbob10
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:07 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Devon
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
New tail servo for V450d01

I fitted a new Align DS520 servo to my V450 today and after 3 ten minute flights the servo remained cool. I have had 3 stock servo failures with this heli with all of them burning-out. The stock servo was always hot to the touch after a flight so am hoping the Align one will be an improvement. The DS520 drops in as it shares the same 4 screws as the stock unit. The tail gyro reverse dip switch needs changing on the RX2702 and the rudder reversing set in the transmitter. Tail hold is perfect, but I have to say the stock servo was also good in this area when it worked.
Now to sort out the rubbish cyclics ! When this is done the V450 will be a truly superb helicopter.

Jim
jimlennie is offline Find More Posts by jimlennie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:54 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob10 View Post
I just took a look at my V450 which is stock except for the metal gear servos and my tail servo has the arm pointing down, it flies fine...
Exactly, When the servo was installed the first time the arm was pointing up and the heli would not lift off.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:21 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Hey guys,

New to electric RC helis (but i've had larger nitros for awhile), and just got this heli for $75 . Some kid thought it was a toy, crashed it, and now his grandfather sold it to me for a cheap price. I'm trying to fix it up since i've long given up on nitros but was wondering if you guys could give me a hand with diagnosing it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19388502

i figure i'd start a new thread for it so it doesnt disturb what's going on here.
Any help would be appreciated.
theledman is offline Find More Posts by theledman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:57 AM
MSR,Walkera 120D01,180Z,V450
Long Island NY
Joined Sep 2010
104 Posts
Tail servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Exactly, When the servo was installed the first time the arm was pointing up and the heli would not lift off.
I meant the other way around
badbob10 is offline Find More Posts by badbob10
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:27 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
Some servos are reversed. Since I do not have stock that could be the case.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
601 Posts
How does the One-way bearing hold up in this heli? i just bought one used that was supposed to be ready to fly and when i unpacked it and checked everything over the one way bearing wasnt working.
witstick is offline Find More Posts by witstick
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
They call me plan B
Heli Biggie's Avatar
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,150 Posts
Hello v450 flyers. I am thinking about getting this heli and was just wondering what i need to know before buying. I have the v400 and v120 . I think this is my next step.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Walkera 400d or Walkera Brushless Cb100 or Heli max 6 channel heli blueindian Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 07, 2010 08:03 PM
Discussion Walkera 4#6 or Walkera 4#6s? red_storm Micro Helis 8 Jul 07, 2010 12:17 AM
Discussion Upgrade my Walkera 4#3B or just get a Walkera 4#6? tumble2k Micro Helis 7 Mar 26, 2010 07:30 PM
For Sale Walkera 68 & Walkera 36 Parts bretware Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Aug 29, 2009 05:23 PM
Wanted Walkera Lama2 or Walkera 5G6-1 night_life Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Aug 27, 2009 04:20 AM