HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:37 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Did you check your feathering shaft?

(method -- remove one blade, then use tool to turn the spindle, watch to see any up and down or bending motion as you rotate it.)
I checked the feathering shaft last week. That was one of the suggestions from Wow. It looked fine to me.
s.elliott is offline Find More Posts by s.elliott
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:15 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,480 Posts
I get the shaking of the head on spool also, up till it is near ready to lift off, then it subsides. From there I have no problems in flight so far.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Maybe try more or stiffer head dampers?

(scratches own head)
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Actually I could vary the speed of the rotor and land it but it would keep rotating, not enough to lift off unless I upped the throttle. I tried it once again and it hovers and does all things normally again. Looks like just a glitch.
It happened again so I am swapping out the ESC. The odd part is when I flip the throttle hold switch on the top left of my 2801 Pro Tx the rotor will keep turning but if I increase the throttle on the Tx the rotor will slow down while the pitch lift increases.

I have a new stock 40A V450D01 ESC but now I am kicking myself for not ordering a Phoenixtech 45A ESC, which is in my other V450 (black Airwolf) and working fine. The difference is 5 amps extra plus it does not give that initial lurch when you start spooling up the heli. It starts smooth like a real helicopter.

EDIT: It was a lot of work but it's finished. The lights would not work once I got it together so I had to take the mechanics out of the fuse again and fix it. Everything is working now but I will have to wait till tomorrow morning to test it due to the wind.

Edit: Flew this morning and it seems to be working.
Last edited by urrl; Sep 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,480 Posts

Flew 2 packs each. The blue Walkera V450D01 flies like a dream; I feel I could not ask for more out of a fuselaged heli. The black and white one flies like it's on steriods and is so sensitive to the least of inputs; too professional for me if there is such a thing. It did something crazy for about a quarter of a second so I carefully bought it in. I examined both the blue and black and white settings on the TX and noticed a radically different pitch curve. So I set the black and white Airwolf to the match the blue one:

L=34
1=36
2=40
3=48
H=63

All other settings are pretty much stock.
Next I noticed when initialized the blade pitches were different; the BW Airwolf pitch was nearly zero so I adjusted the head rod links to increase pitch. I will test fly tomorrow hopefully to see if the black AW is lobotomized enough for a smoother, more docile flight.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:41 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,480 Posts
Flew two packs each this morning and the once hyper black Airwolf now runs like its on rails much like my blue Airwolf. Now that I've tamed the black bronco I can fly and have fun at the same time.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:57 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,870 Posts
Urrl, thanks for posting your p-curve settings. Can you tell us what your max and min pitch settings are with that curve? Are you at +ve pitch with L=34 ?
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:12 AM
Walkera Club Hungary
Hungary
Joined Jun 2010
42 Posts
Hy!

I'm waiting for the MKS DS servo, but it's on backorder status in most heli store.
Does anybody have an experience with the new, full MG Wk09-9 cyclic servo?
3 of my 6 wk-09-8 servos went wrong during the Flight. I can't trust them. If the new servos are reliable, I will buy they.
steevee is offline Find More Posts by steevee
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,480 Posts
I'm sorry; I set pitch by eye. I took a pic using the pitch gauge for the first time below. Hope it helps. Throttle on Tx is at zero in these pics.

Remember I am using the Align 325 cheap blades and not the wider stock ones; two reasons are they look more to scale and they are wood composite material and not carbon fiber even though they say "Carbon" on the label; they shatter on impact of a crash and help save the servos, but that's just my opinion. Also keep in mind this pitch adjustment is for a heavier fuselaged heli although it may work on stock heli. In the top pic i adjusted the vertical rods which are visible right under the main blade to change the pitch of each blade. From zero to 5 degrees it was about two whole turns each counter clockwise.

Steevee I am using the metal gear servos on both helis; they seem to work well so far after about a month and no hard crashes.
Last edited by urrl; Sep 16, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:07 PM
Walkera Club Hungary
Hungary
Joined Jun 2010
42 Posts
Urrl, thank you for the info!
steevee is offline Find More Posts by steevee
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:14 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
618 Posts
Hello everyone, i am getting a vd450 my first flybarless heli! So i will try not to bug you guys to much for info... I would like to know if anyone has the WOW setup instructions and could email them to me? it would help me out so much as i dont know how to set up these flybarless! Thanks alot!
Chris.
witstick is offline Find More Posts by witstick
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:46 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,870 Posts
Hi Witstick,
You may want to download and print out the revised chapter 10 (Flybarless setup) manual which is one of my attachments (click on thwaitm then on the right side of my empty blog click the attachments link and download the PDF).

Also, if you scan back through this thread there are a number of postings with the p-curve & t-curve settings people are using. Assume in most cases that 50 on the p-curve is equal to 0deg of pitch unless otherwise specified (see Urrl's post above, using the fuselage means a non-standard setup).

Afterwards, it's a bit of tuning and flight characteristics adjustment on your own! :-) but please feel free to share what works here as it may help others.

Enjoy your V450!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:35 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
618 Posts
Hi Thwaitm , i tried to download but i dont see anything listed anywhere on your page
witstick is offline Find More Posts by witstick
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:52 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,870 Posts
Did you follow the link on the right side of the blog page under the statistics box, find all attachments by thwaitm?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...ttach&u=363488
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,480 Posts
As for the shaking on spool up I notice that my main blades are kind of tight and this contributes to shaking since the blades have not fully straightened out. I notice when I spool up more slowly the shaking is not that intense. I see that perhaps a better cure in my case is to loosen the blades so they pivot more freely instead of having them semi tight.