HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:18 PM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,339 Posts
The manual mentions setting swashmix to 60, 60, 80(?) but it doesn't say why or what effect it has. You need someone way more experienced to tell you what these settings do but I don't think that it should cause your behaviour in any case.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
I am finding Align 325 Carbon blades work better than the stock carbon fiber blades when it comes to full fuselage flight. They are lighter, actually not carbon fiber but wood and seem to require less balancing and give less vibration.

Got a pair yesterday and found what I said above ain't necessarily true. One of the blades was so severely underweight I had to wrap a considerable wad of electrical tape around it to balance it out. In flight it flew off. I guess it's a matter of luck getting a balanced pair of blades whether carbon fiber or wood.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Aug 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:25 PM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
Hay guys Tom Z needs the settings for v450D01 so he can post on his setup guide.
Hey Vronny, Tom Z, all,

These are the settings that my RX has and the settings for THR/PIT which my WK2801 Pro V450D01 profile was set with.

The travel/DR/expo was all 100%/no-expo except for the rudder which was set at 50%.

There may be better set-ups than this so don't take this as gospel.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:50 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jun 2008
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
The manual mentions setting swashmix to 60, 60, 80(?) but it doesn't say why or what effect it has. You need someone way more experienced to tell you what these settings do but I don't think that it should cause your behaviour in any case.
the values are like a limiter - if you reduce the values that means also a reduction in the servo movement.
I use eg 40 40 40 in my V450 with the scale fuselage.
lower values make the V450 lot easier to handle.
if you make the values (-) you make the servo movent reversed !
fassla is offline Find More Posts by fassla
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:15 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
3,980 Posts
Trying to decide whether to do a V450D01 with metal gear servos and more powerful motor, or the Trex 450 3g (flybarless). Yes its more expensive by what will I be more happy with in the long run?
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:03 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Trying to decide whether to do a V450D01 with metal gear servos and more powerful motor, or the Trex 450 3g (flybarless). Yes its more expensive by what will I be more happy with in the long run?
I'd say it depends on your experience level. If, like me, you have little experience of CP then I'd say go with the V450D01. It's enough to learn on, it has faults (one way bearing to name one) but it'll teach you a lot about maintenance and setup whilst having a smaller parts bill if you stuff it into the deck like I did.

If you're already a competent sport flyer then maybe the Trex is a better deal - though I have no idea how much better it flies and I guess a lot is dependent on what electronics gear you use in it and how well you can get set it up.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:06 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Whats up? You still in Texas? Even the Trex have problems that why they came out 3GXFBL unit. I think the v450 flies good for the money. Checkout Alishanmao fly his V450 on utube. Have fun Vronny
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
Just finished transplanting the V450D01 Walkera flybarless mechanics from my A109 fuselage into a new Heliartist 450 Bell 222 body. Hope to maiden it tomorrow morning.
V450D01 Flybarless Bell 222 (0 min 24 sec)
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:40 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,339 Posts
I've started so I'll finish...

I think there are a lot of us who have already found out from experience that the V450D01 manual for swashplate set-up is a bit flaky. So, I've gone through and tried to make it a little more understandable based on notes I made while struggling myself.

Hope it helps.
Last edited by thwaitm; Sep 03, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 04:35 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
I'm sure many will appreciate the work you put into that supplemental part to the manual, I know I do.

Anyone considering putting one of these V450D01's into a full fuselage should be aware that you may have to make a few relatively easy alterations to the gyro and rear servo positions. The mechanics may not go back into the fuselage far enough if you do not do this alteration.

Also some fuselage styles other than A109 or Airwolf/Bell 222 may require more drastic alterations.

Here is a better video; I printed the lettering with stick-on Office Depot print paper which was sprayed with clear acrylic once the letters were printed out. This lettering comes off easily without leaving residue and stays on during flight so I can always change the words or letters as I see fit. The maiden flight did not go so well; I noticed the heli trembling in flight so I held it a few inches above ground until the gremlin reared it's ugly head. Sure enough a swash plate bolt that secures the rod to the head gave way. No damage. When I got it home I noticed the other swash bolt was loose also. I used thread lock and vowed never to let another factory part get by me without checking bolt tightness and using thread lock. Once everything was tightened a second hover showed no signs of tremors in the heli. Hopefully a flight video soon.
MercyAir2.wmv (0 min 35 sec)
Last edited by urrl; Aug 22, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
16 Posts
Need Help with Wobble

I just got my V450D01 and took it out for the first time today. When I throttled up I noticed that the head had a very slight wobble to it, but it wasn't that bad. When I got in the air the heli had a good shake to it. Check out the video. I was hoping you could see the head better but you can't make it out in the video, but between :31 and :35 you can see the shaking in the air I'm talking about.

Walkera V450D01 Wobble (0 min 41 sec)

First I put a new set of blades on to see if that made any difference, but it actually got worse (I need to learn about balancing the blades). Next I pulled the head off and throttled up and the shaft looks to be perfectly straight. It's only when the head is on that it has that slight wobble. Any thoughts out there on what's going on? Do you think the head is defective and I need to replace it??

This is my first real CP heli so I want to see if I may be missing something. I already mentioned the blade balancing that I need to figure out, but I don't thing that's the problem in this case, since I still saw the wobble with the blades removed.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
s.elliott is offline Find More Posts by s.elliott
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:36 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
Looks like the same wobble I experienced due to loose bolts/screws that hold the rods to the swash and head. Did you check for loose bolts? Remember they are VERY easy to strip, especially the swash plate if overtightened. Thread lock liquid is very important. I will never trust factory assembly and check screws after each flight.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Aug 2011
5 Posts
Well thanks to all who offered their help. I managed to complete a good setup from the swashplate up, then tinkered with the transmitter and figured a couple of things out. After that I took it outside for a shakedown flight, I swear it flys smoother than it did out of the box from WOW. Now back to learning to fly......
V450Flyer is offline Find More Posts by V450Flyer
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:52 PM
Arizona
Joined Mar 2004
13 Posts
Walkera V450D01 Wobble

I just purchased a V450D01 from WOW Hobbies and I am having the same wobble problem. I double checked everything. Screws are tight, main shaft seems straight, blades are balanced, blade tracking is perfert. It spools up perfect, but as soon as you break ground the body/landing gear wobble any time there is little input into the controls (i.e. hovering). I played with the elev s and aile s +/- on the gyro with little change. ???? Could the rotor head be bad?
737 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 737 Driver
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,339 Posts
737 Driver,
Is the receiver firmly fixed to the mount?
Any stiffness when rotating the head by hand (both directions)?
Any slack between any of the connections from servo mounts through to the blade grips?
All the frame bolts are tight?
Have you tried taking the head assembly and main shaft out and check for balance?
The blades have a good CoG as well as balance? (Little or no scissoring when hung leading edge to leading edge).