SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
You are correct the V450 Must have digital servos, actually its the 2702V RX that requires them but good eyes, they say it in the comments on thier UTube video that the servo is digital. Most servos are these days but you can only go by what they tell you with the cheap stuff.

"We provide Storm MS-110G Mirco Servo for V450D01, which is made in metal gears and digital circuit, please check."

HeliPal 3 months ago

So, very likely it's digital, I thought someone posted awhile back they tried them, but a lot of guys that used to post moved on it seems.........maybe they got a Trex?

HeliPal.com - Walkera V450D01 Test Flight 01 (4 min 20 sec)
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:31 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,503 Posts
The info on that servo is very hard to track down for me. I've been told by my LHS that certain servos were digital but I had to return them. I would rather not send away for servos and then be charged a restocking fee to send them back. Helipal says is that they provide them, but have they used them in that test flight? Maybe someone else here has more info. The digital metal servos I sent away for from WOW hobbies are in my V450 with the Airwolf fuse and so far after about 6 flights I have had no problems.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Jun 25, 2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:49 AM
Walkera Club Hungary
Hungary
Joined Jun 2010
42 Posts
Hy!

I bought two pieces of used V450. Both had damaged servos. I tried the MKS DS450 for cyclic and it was very good. Then I bought 1 package WK-09-8 servo. Today, I built these servos in the other heli. By the first fly (in normal mode) 2 servos of 3 damaged during the Flight.
Plastic gears were stressed. I don't understand. Is it possible? The servo lives 2 minutes.
Did engineers the servo so undercalculate? Or I bought wrong servo?
steevee is offline Find More Posts by steevee
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,503 Posts
Had some fun at Southport Community Park in Orlando this morning.
Airwolf V450D01 in Orlando (3 min 55 sec)
Last edited by urrl; Jun 27, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:19 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevee View Post
Hy!

I bought two pieces of used V450. Both had damaged servos. I tried the MKS DS450 for cyclic and it was very good. Then I bought 1 package WK-09-8 servo. Today, I built these servos in the other heli. By the first fly (in normal mode) 2 servos of 3 damaged during the Flight.
Plastic gears were stressed. I don't understand. Is it possible? The servo lives 2 minutes.
Did engineers the servo so undercalculate? Or I bought wrong servo?
WK-09-8 is the right servo for this heli though the latest available is a full metal gear version WK-09-9. It seems that they are in very limited availability at the moment though.
I had a WK-09-8 fail on me recently but it wasn't the gears but the electronics.
Could it be that you are using a different (wrong) location on the servo arms ? Mine are all using the middle of the 3 holes.
Keep watching this forum though since HeliFlyer711 is currently breaking in a set of WK-09-9s.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:14 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,203 Posts
I have the wk 09 9 servos on mine and no issues after about 20 flights and one bad crash, (like any crash with a 450 isn't bad) I have by no means gotten anywhere near the full capabilities of this machine though so take that with a grain of salt...for all I know they might not last 10 minutes if you tried some fast 3d flying with it.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:05 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Weekend update :)

The 09-9's are flying without a hitch (knock on wood) 20+ flights and a ton of bench test later. The new (EDGE) FBL blades allow 100% throttle and dials turned up to around 11'0 clock no problem. Seems like 9'0clock across the board and the heli felt light and agile for sport flying/3D. I could probably go higher than 11 o' clock but then the heli feels too stable and heavy in the air, not natural. Gyro set to 75% for a rock solid tail, I think with a few key upgrades (Esc, FBL main Blades, MG servos, KBDD tail blades) the V450 is an awesome starter FBL 450 heli and am happy with it so far.

This is the only FBL 450 I've flown so I cant make a true comparison to other FBL systems but the Walkera system is very simple and basic with very few settings, yet it gets the job done. Im sure there are more advanced systems out there, with much more features if you need them.

As far as the servos the 09-9's are a drop in fit, a little sloppy but they seem to integrate well with the heli and the 3axis RX......smooth as butter yet agile when you want it to be, with torque/power to spare. The heli will jump 20ft in a blur from the ground.

The tail on the Walkera V450 definately has less slop than the stock tail on my Trex 450 pro......go figure.

Heres a few pics I took over the weekend.......
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jun 26, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,503 Posts
Great pics Heliflyer711, much appreciated.
I had to pull my heli apart due to it almost crashing yesterday, having a loss of control, and then again during a low test hover about 2 minutes into the hover. I found there was resistance as I turned the main rotor clockwise by hand and tracked it down to the one way bearing. Fortunately all it seemed to need was some cleaning and lubing. Also the tail belt roller was installed the wrong way and was not seated directly over the belt; the belt was being chewed up and needed replacement, which was done. Flew this morning and all is well with the Airwolf, but my other heli, the Swedish Army fuselage is so fast and sensitive at WOW Hobbies settings, having the new V450 mechanics while the Airwolf has the old V450 mechanics. I will have to tune it down so it can fly more like a scale heli.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:56 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
The 09-9's are flying without a hitch (knock on wood) 20+ flights and a ton of bench test later. The new (EDGE) FBL blades allow 100% throttle and dials turned up to around 11'0 clock no problem. Seems like 9'0clock across the board and the heli felt light and agile for sport flying/3D. I could probably go higher than 11 o' clock but then the heli feels too stable and heavy in the air, not natural. Gyro set to 75% for a rock solid tail, I think with a few key upgrades (Esc, FBL main Blades, MG servos, KBDD tail blades) the V450 is an awesome starter FBL 450 heli and am happy with it so far.

This is the only FBL 450 I've flown so I cant make a true comparison to other FBL systems but the Walkera system is very simple and basic with very few settings, yet it gets the job done. Im sure there are more advanced systems out there, with much more features if you need them.

As far as the servos the 09-9's are a drop in fit, a little sloppy but they seem to integrate well with the heli and the 3axis RX......smooth as butter yet agile when you want it to be, with torque/power to spare. The heli will jump 20ft in a blur from the ground.

The tail on the Walkera V450 definately has less slop than the stock tail on my Trex 450 pro......go figure.

Heres a few pics I took over the weekend.......
You always do a awesome job! And the smog is ok you kinda get use to it. Great write up I always look forward to your information. The v450 needs your input on this thread to help a lot of noobies
vronny is online now Find More Posts by vronny
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:09 PM
Fly, crash, fix, repeat...
United States, WA
Joined Feb 2011
37 Posts
The walk

Well yesterday was a beautiful day, I flew probably 12 packs throughout the day. I hovered for several packs and decided to work on my ff. I was taking passes up and down my field stopping to hover and change directions. I had made several passes with great success. I then started my passes without stopping, as I was coming from left to right (stall turn I think they are called) I was picking up forward speed and started to level off about 15 ft up and all of a sudden I lost control and it dove nose first into the ground. I stood there in disbelief for a few seconds wondering what just happened. As I was walking to the crash site I was expecting the worst as this was my most spectacular crash to date, much to my surprise there was little damage. Slightly bent boom, main gear seems to have survived, main shaft is bent, feathering shaft is bent, motor lost e clip or whatever keeps out runner together, elevator servo is stripped (plastic servos...luckily I never got around to installing my metal ones) I am not sure what caused the crash, I had a broken servo linkage and one pitch linkage was missing. This is what heli did as I remember it: started to level off made it about 20 ft in level flight, heli jumped slightly and started a nosedive with a slight roll to the right. I had a good visual on it and did not lose orientation. I always do a pre flight inside and outside (I fly at home). I can only guess that there was some kind of failure... I have everything but a boom, but it is on it's way as we speak, not sure about clip on motor, am going to hardware store to see if I can find something to keep motor together. Anyway I get some bench time, have heli torn all the way down, replacing all the bearings and loctite. Just thought I would share my crash with you all and maybe someone has some input.
Magooch is offline Find More Posts by Magooch
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:54 PM
MSR,Walkera 120D01,180Z,V450
Long Island NY
Joined Sep 2010
104 Posts
Bummer, I've had a similar experience with another Walkera Heli, I was doing normal sport flying and I had the heli hovering about 20 feet up when the heli lost control, I could see that somthing snapped off at the moment I lost control. It was a control link that I stupidly snapped back on and when it happened again I noticed that the ball link had a crack that was hard to see.
Yesterday I had around 25 people over for a BBQ, a few hours into the party one of my guests asked to see the V450 spin up which was all I agreed to do because I had already had a few drinks. I did amazingly well under the circumstances, I did more than just spin it up, I flew it around, showed how it was agile enough to jump up 10 feet and back down like the beast the V450 is capable of being. All was good, I landed, (safely) as I'd finally take a breath of air and give thanks to the heli Gods for letting me land safely, some more people from the party made their way to my little flying field wanting to see...about the 4th. time (the last) I over controlled too close to the ground and the rotor blades hit the dirt. I expected the feathering shaft to be bent and the blades to be damaged, the blades were fine, the main, larger gear was trashed and 2 of the servos, ele and col stripped. Now I understand what all the fuss is over the crappy servos that come stock. I bought the 9.0.9s to replace the stock 9.0.8s. IMO. Lesson learned...don't drink and fly!
badbob10 is offline Find More Posts by badbob10
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,503 Posts
Magooch,
When my V450 does a similar motion I attribute it to over heating ESC or too much vibration. I had such an incident Sunday but managed to gain enough control because I've seen that behavior before and was determined not to let panic get in the way. I managed to land a bit hard but with no damage. I noticed the main rotor previously was stiffer to turn by hand than my other V450 but I did not do anything about it until after the near crash. I took it apart to discover the one-way bearing was giving resistance to turning and not only that, during my last re-assembly I installed the rear top pulley roller backwards so that it was not aligned with the belt and the belt was pushed aside, being squeezed out from between the pulley and the pulley roller AND it was being worn away because of it. I cleaned and lubed the one way bearing and it moved more freely. Then I installed a new belt and re-installed the pulley roller the right way. Flew two packs this morning without a problem. I've had the same problem occur with Align 450's before I changed to the Walkera V450 and wondered why out of the blue they would go out of control and crash, and when hovering really low I would get the same behavior after about 2 minutes and quickly land, let it cool off and it would fly fine for about 2 minutes or so. Vibration can accumulate in the gyro and cause the same problem eventually, so yeah, those two factors are what I look out for when such behavior occurs.
Last edited by urrl; Jun 27, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:42 PM
Fly, crash, fix, repeat...
United States, WA
Joined Feb 2011
37 Posts
It is a bummer, I quit drinking several years ago, I am the king of stupid when I drink.
I am thinking it was a link or a servo, I had a servo that had a little slop in it and I just thought it was wearing a little. Think it was the elevator as a matter of fact.
urrl, I remember reading about your issues with heat. I have never had my esc get very warm (I do check from time to time) my motor even runs cool. My battery's are the only thing that seem to heat up.
When I power down would that reset rx as far as vibes go? I know my blades are slightly out of balance, but not by much.
I am not ruling anything out, I think I am going to put a larger esc as heliflyer711 recommended. I already have the mg set of servos. The belt and tail was smooth before crash.
Think the clip on out runner was an issue? I can almost pull bell and pinion off heli. I do not remember what was keeping it together before or if this happened before or after the crash.
I still get to fly though there is 0 wind today and I have a v120d02, and I get to stock up on parts.
Magooch is offline Find More Posts by Magooch
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:49 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
The 09-9's are flying without a hitch...Heres a few pics I took over the weekend.......
Very nice!

I've been looking all over for the "velcro-like" micro-strips that aren't really velcro. Is that what you are using? If so, what does Align call it so that I can order a few?
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Very nice!

I've been looking all over for the "velcro-like" micro-strips that aren't really velcro. Is that what you are using? If so, what does Align call it so that I can order a few?
Glad you liked the pics, the strips com with the "Align PU Gel" kit for installing gyro's, I think you can get them in strips of 4 in single packs but Im not sure what they are called, Align velcro fasteners?

I found they are great for absorbing vibes on the servo/esc wires that go into the gyro/Rx as opposed to a tie wrap tied to the frame. Also these walkera servo wires are a very soft silicone insulation and the plastic ties can dig into the wire if they are too tight.

Hope that helps