HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:58 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,143 Posts
I got my new grip assembly and installed it but I notice the feathering shaft has about 1/8 inch of play sliding back and forth in the head. I don't recall if the original head had this play but my original head with an align feathering shaft in it only has maybe a 1/50th of an inch of play in it.

I checked the screws in the feathering shaft and they are both screwed in all the way and no spacers are missing.

Is this normal or should I use the align feathering shaft instead of the walkera one to eliminate the play?
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:24 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Try the Align it cant hurt, I just got a v450 and the blade grips are tight. Your Dampers might be worn, but if its new probably not......I have a set of the align FS also. Curious to see if they give a tighter head on the v450 because they are suppsed to be a drop in fit. One thing is for sure if I can use an align part on this bird I would definately do it...
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jun 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Try the Align it cant hurt, I just got a v450 and the blade grips are tight. Your Dampers might be worn, but if its new probably not......I have a set of the align FS also. Curious to see if they give a tighter head on the v450 because they are suppsed to be a drop in fit. One thing is for sure if I can use an align part on this bird I would definately do it...
I just put the align feathering shaft in and it has the same amount of play as the walkera shaft...both shafts are exactly the same dimensions and the head it self is exactly the same length as the old one so I can only assume this play is because the thrust bearings in the grip are seated deeper into the grip for some reason?

I'm getting a momentary shake in the head as I throttle up the at several points before it gets to full speed and I'm guessing this is because of that play in the feathering shaft...does that sound right?

I have spare shaft spacers but one spacer would take the out the play so it wouldn't be even...I'm not sure what I should do now?

edit...I used a couple of very thin rubber orings, one on each side...it just slightly compresses them when I tighten down the feathering shaft to keep it centered so I'll try it tomorrow and see if that intermittent vibration when throttling up goes away.

Somebody please let me know if this is a bad idea, I'm just going by my gut that that shaft shouldn't be able to slide around noticeably, if it's not centered it makes one blade stick out a 1/8 inch farther than the other.
Last edited by candy76man; Jun 10, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:21 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
The thrust bearings have an inner and an outer diameter if you look close, the smaller inner diameter goes towards the blade grips and the larger ID bearing towards the head block. This allows the FS to float in the head on the dampers. Im not sure if they are marked in/out like on the align heads? but theres definately a sequence. if its wrong it will be very hard to track the blades, especially if one side is done right and the other isnt.

I would disassemble it all and put it back together. Not sure if the head comes assembled? Not sure what else could cause it, looks like spacer, 2 bearings in the grip, spacer, thrust bearings,washer, screw.

I know the radius arms came in a bag of parts....that was fun, 2 of these little tiny brass washers go between 2 bearings on each of the arms. Without a magnifying glass you would most likely miss it on the exploded diagram for sure. The only reason I knew where to put them was to look at the old set.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:06 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,478 Posts
I was about to buy the MGS version of the V450 for $379.95 which includes the metal servos but one page states that it has the upgraded motor:
http://www.wowhobbies.com/walkera-v4...elicopter.aspx

and this page says it does not:
http://www.wowhobbies.com/walkerav45...atreduced.aspx

I contacted WOW Hobbies and am awaiting an answer unless anyone here has one and can confirm the upgraded motor.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
For 379.00 I would place all bets that it is a stock ARF V450 with MG servos, since the upgraded motor is the PRO version.

Also the stock version is 339.00 with regular servos so basically you get the MG servos for 40.00 extra or 1/2 the cost of buying them seperate
@ 379.00.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:56 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,478 Posts
Thanks, you are correct; they seem to have changed the description since I e-mailed them. I ordered one for the Airwolf body that's coming from RC Aerodyne, along with daytime strobe lights like the Swedish Army one has.
Last edited by urrl; Jun 13, 2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:56 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Thanks, you are correct; they seem to have changed the description since I e-mailed them. I ordered one for the Airwolf body that's coming from RC Aerodyne, along with daytime strobe lights like the Swedish Army one has.
Hey Urrl,
I know you and a bunch of other guys have been flying this heli for awhile now, have you or anyone else found and alternative servo for the V450D01. It seems Walkera uses a very specific servo dimension for this heli.

I can find dimensions that match the orignal servos, yet the mounting tabs are different (Ex. on the DS410m) I would like to put in some HS65MG digitals in but i dont think they will fit either without cutting the frame.

I blew out the PIT servo yesterday (one of the fets on the servo board) on the bench just doing a collective test (about 15 seconds of constant collective +/- pitch changes very fast) I am glad the servo failed on the bench rather than in the air. The other 2 are fine, I always preflight check on the bench first before taking a larger heli to the field.

Also do you notice that your elevator gyro gives less correction than the aileron, is this normal or should they be the same. I get more movement side to side (R to L) on the swashplate than I do front to back when tilting the heli.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:14 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Hey Urrl,
I know you and a bunch of other guys have been flying this heli for awhile now, have you or anyone else found and alternative servo for the V450D01. It seems Walkera uses a very specific servo dimension for this heli.

I can find dimensions that match the orignal servos, yet the mounting tabs are different (Ex. on the DS410m) I would like to put in some HS65MG digitals in but i dont think they will fit either without cutting the frame.

I blew out the PIT servo yesterday (one of the fets on the servo board) on the bench just doing a collective test (about 15 seconds of constant collective +/- pitch changes very fast) I am glad the servo failed on the bench rather than in the air. The other 2 are fine, I always preflight check on the bench first before taking a larger heli to the field.

Also do you notice that your elevator gyro gives less correction than the aileron, is this normal or should they be the same. I get more movement side to side (R to L) on the swashplate than I do front to back when tilting the heli.
I could be wrong but my local hobby store sold me some HS65MG's and they kept overheating. Although they were said to be digital they were not. I believe the HS5065MG's are digital. Unless the box says digital I do not buy the servos.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mi...ervo-rc18.html

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37366

Why not order the new metal Walkera digital servos that are made for the V450?

Perhaps my TX settings are the reason for the different movements.
DR&EXP ELEV = D/R 80% and EXP 45%
AILE = D/R 80% and EXP 35%

TRAVADJ settings are 70% for ELEV, AILE and RUDD
Last edited by urrl; Jun 13, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
I haven't yet received the Aligns to tell, Hopefully next week!
ViperZ....did you ever get those DS410m digitals in your V450? Im curious to hear what your experience are with those servos, as far as I can tell Walkera servo's are proprietary without having to modify the frame it will not accept "universal" servo relacements.

BTW urrl - I did get a set of the MG WK 09-09 latest MG servos from WoW, I just hope it is a whole different servo inside and not just the extra metal gears installed. From what I can tell the gear arrangement is different from the picture on Wow's site, but the electronics that drive it may be the same. The fets are a little weak and the pots seem to hunt on the cheap original ones .....so Im hoping for 80 bucks these new servos will be better as far as centering etc..

Watch your motor wire inside the servos, at the factory it seems they sandwitch the wires in on top of the output fets which get HOT, once they get too hot the insulation can melt and you get a short, that will take the whole heli's electronics out instantly.....luckily the 2702v must have some protective diode circuitry and it doesnt get effected, but if this happens when your in the air.....it will cost a lot more than a 9.00 servo to repair the heli. I stuffed mine behind the little circuit board so those fets can breathe a little on hard flights.
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jun 13, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:00 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,143 Posts
Is it normal for the rudder servo's aluminum case to get very hot? Mine is hitting around 120-130 f after a 8 minute flight.

Also, I found a good use for the 2200mah 15c battery that comes with the v450 (15c is inadequate for the stock motor, much less the turbo ace upgrade motor I have) . It can be squeezed into the battery compartment on the tx if you cut off the two protrusions on the side of the battery compartment that the stock AA holder keys onto when you slide it in. There are wires directly behind those protrusions so be careful when you cut it off.... take the back off while you cut them off to be sure. You have to change the connector too of course. I also had to heat and bend the little lid tab out slightly since the battery bulges the bottom just enough that it doesn't catch anymore. Beats spending another 25 bucks on the lipo tx pack wow sells that fits.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:27 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,478 Posts
I use the 2 batteries from my trashed Blade SR. They seem to work well in the Walkera 2801 Tx and come with the right connectors.

I actually crashed yesterday but had all spare parts available; main gear, main shaft and only the Elevator servo was damaged, but I replaced all three. I swapped out the stock cyclic servos with the Walker metal ones. Even had a spare Swedish Army Camo fuselage. Flew this morning and it flies as well or better than before. I will probably post the crash later. What happened was I over corrected, then accidentally hit the idle up switch. I could have prevented the crash but was too busy feeling for the idle up switch; my mind was not on it nosing into the ground. Perhaps I will tape that idle up switch down. But actually the fuselage I replaced it with is better than the other one which was already damaged from a previous crash.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:36 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,775 Posts
Fried cyclic servo

I've flown 4 batts with my V450 and the 5th time no bind, hot ESC and I turned out to have a fried servo.
I have the all plastic version WK-09-8 and am seriously wondering if it's worth the risk to use a same standard replacement. This time it died on the ground but if it failed mid flight it was at full deflection... crash $$$$

Anyone out there got any experience with futaba S3153s for this machine? I contacted futaba support and that's what they suggested. Not sure it'll drop in without frame mods but how about the receive/gyro combo?

She's a beast when she flies but 4 flights and a servo failure is not a great quality advert!

Depressed.. waiting for good news...
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; Jun 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added feeling. :-(
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
The first thing I did was put a 60A/3A switched mode ESC on the V450, it comes stock with a 40A/3A linear mode ESC. Linear BEC's get very hot because of the way the power is delivered it is wasted as heat (google linear -vs- switched regulated power supplies).

The next thing I will probably replace is the motor because that gets way to hot for any reliabilty that I want to bet on....

As far as the servos I did research them, servodatabase.com, the only drop in fit are the stock walkera's, without modding the frame. Im giving these full metal geared ones a shot. But when I get them I will be making sure the motor wires arent sandwitched between the case and the output fets on the back of the servo.

It sounds like you had what I had happen, you blew a output transistor on one of the servos and it took the whole heli out. That is servo related more so than the esc IMO. I think in the air with the motor pulling full Amps it is less likely to happen, but on the ground it might be too much power going to the servos while preflight testing.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:11 PM
Fly, crash, fix, repeat...
United States, WA
Joined Feb 2011
37 Posts
candy76man, did you ever track down the source of your wobble? I am starting to develop one similar to yours. Bearings maybe?
HeliFlyer711, what motor are you planning to use? I am not having any heat issues with wow's upgraded motor. I am new to this so I can't compare performance to anything. I have yet to install my mg set of servos. I am still doing ok with the 3rd stock set, although I had a strange thing happen other day. Just put in my second pack and 20 seconds after takeoff the heli jumped up and down. I landed and as I was walking over to heli I noticed the swash moved up and down 2-3 times evenly. I unplugged batt and did a quick inspection. Every thing seemed to be ok and nothing was hot. Plugged back in and did some ground test, heli behaved normal. I ended up flying 4 packs that day and have yet to see it happen again. Any ideas?
Magooch is offline Find More Posts by Magooch