HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
Make sure that your swashplate is set-up level mechanically. When you'r ready to lift off, don't move your cyclic for a few second then lift it carefully but quickly and be prepared to correct it only when the heli is lifted a few inch.

Those 3 axis unit have Imho a ''Bad'' Balance delays function to simulate the reaction of a flybar, which means that the swashplate does not come back level instantly when you made a cyclic input, making it difficult to lift off and control, I do not know if the delays is as slow as the 4F200 one, I hope not.

Also what is bad is that it is adjustable but at the expense of a slow cyclic response, thus you'r stuck at 50% anyway for a good compromise, Imho there should be two adjustment for each delays direction.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:23 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
@ noobie,

Just some general comments. Jumping to a 450 size fbl heli after only 2 co-axials is a bit on the crazy side... do you have a sim or did you follow radds at all? or just decided to plug in the battery and go?

I have quite a few walkeras and despite their small size and cheap price I actually don't think of them as beginner helis. they are too fast, responsive, easy to break and hard to fix for beginners in most cases. the msr or solo pro are much better single rotor helis to start with.

My personal advice is to put the V450 on the shelf and get a sim and/or msr and take it slow. I know you're impatient to get flying but a 450 size heli can do serious physical harm.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:51 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Hi Druss,

You do have some good point. But when I said I had 2 co-axials... I meant I only flew 2 co-axial helis (successfully)... I actually got a handful helis already.. I had a thundertiger heli(my 3rd heli).. it was ATF and tried to make it RTF but I gave up and sold it (it was a nitro build.. so it was more difficult)... I also had a dragonfly (my very first heli).. I flew it once and crashed it really bad.. I also had another walkera heli (my 2nd heli) but I forgot what it was it was the one who made me stop the hobby for around 3 years... (I couldn't make my first 3 heli's fly)...

"BUT" when I got bored a few months ago I bought a BLADE MCX2 just for little fun.. I was surprise that I can fly it easily... so I upgrade to CX3... I can fly it too... I was thinking of getting the BLADE 400 3D... but the two BLADE product that I flew easily was pretty boring already... I wanted something big... and Now here's a big one.. (LOL) and I am back to (about) stop the hobby again...

What do you guys think about the V120D02?

my main goal is to... put an HD camera on a heli and make it fly above our house.. and maybe fly a little stunt...

If I can do that.. I would be "VERY" happy...
nooblet is offline Find More Posts by nooblet
Old Dec 09, 2010, 05:44 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
The V120D02 is too small to carry a good 1080P HD camera, maybe one of the smaller 720P ones though.

TBH, going from an mcx2 to a cx3 was probably a mistake, there is almost no difference between the flying characteristics of the two, one is just larger. You would have been better off getting an msr or other single rotor 45 deg head to practice with.

What I'm trying to say is that being able to successfully fly co-axials does not train you well enough to fly a 450 right away, there is a huge difference between the two. Think of it this way, you're trying to go from a tri-cycle to a uni-cycle in one step.

Get a sim, practice radds with the heli and you should be fine but you're not going to be able to fly the 450 immediately without substantial practice.

Just so you know, you probably would have been better off with the blade 400, while the electronics on it aren't great it's been around for a while and has a lot of support. It's also the same size as the V450D01 so there's no difference there. Don't make the mistake in thinking that the blade 400 is going to fly the same as a co-axial just because they share the blade name.

Like I said, if you don't want to get frustrated to the point of quitting again then I'd suggest getting a sim and really learning what you're doing. RC helicopters, especially ccpm FBL ones, are complicated machines. Unfortunately, regardless of what the marketing says they are not just plug and play....
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooblet View Post
Hey ferbio... I got mine from helipal too! it took 14days to arrive..

How did you setup yours? I have read the instructions and followed them... but still not working on my end or getting a smooth lift without a wobble or in short cannot lift up straight...
I Set my TRAVADJ like this:

ELEV D 80% U 80%
AILE L 75% R 75%
THRO H 90% L 90%
RUDD L 80% R 80%

THRCURV * 9.0 **25.5 ***50.5 ****75.0 ***** 100.0. The * are the circles 1 through 5.
Left the ST-1 at default. Didn't touch anything else like expo's. Take it slow with the throttle and stay calm with the right stick. Hope this helps. Oh,and forgot,These were set up,but with mine,I had to trim the aileron(Bottom right) about 5 clicks to the left.
ferbio is offline Find More Posts by ferbio
Last edited by ferbio; Dec 09, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:56 AM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Hi all,

Ferbio thanks for the heads up, I will try that tomorrow. BTW, where are you from ferbio? Maybe I can go to your place and copy your entire setup.. and if you're not watching I will switch my heli and tx with yours.. LOL... just kidding.. :P

Druss, I don't think I need a sim anymore. I have been playing with sim for quite sometimes already. Even with my first heli (3years ago) I spent a quite some time with a simulator already.

I think my problem is the trimming/programming of the heli.... If the heli is setup correctly... I "THINK"... I can fly it...

What other heli options do I have? A small heli that can carry a camera and do 3D...

Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:04 AM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbio View Post
I Set my TRAVADJ like this:

ELEV D 80% U 80%
AILE L 75% R 75%
THRO H 90% L 90%
RUDD L 80% R 80%

THRCURV * 9.0 **25.5 ***50.5 ****75.0 ***** 100.0. The * are the circles 1 through 5.
Left the ST-1 at default. Didn't touch anything else like expo's. Take it slow with the throttle and stay calm with the right stick. Hope this helps. Oh,and forgot,These were set up,but with mine,I had to trim the aileron(Bottom right) about 5 clicks to the left.
You cannot do that with the TRAVADJ, you must leave it all at 100%, now you have your 3 swashplate servo not working together the same travel, this is not a good idea.

If you want more or less cyclic pitch (elevator or aileron pitch) you have to go in the SWASHMIX menu and adjust it from there with a pitch gauge on your blade.

Throttle shoulb be 100% travel also to make the ESC happy, and you adjust it from the throttle curve menu.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:16 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Druss, I don't think I need a sim anymore. I have been playing with sim for quite sometimes already. Even with my first heli (3years ago) I spent a quite some time with a simulator already.

I think my problem is the trimming/programming of the heli.... If the heli is setup correctly... I "THINK"... I can fly it...

What other heli options do I have? A small heli that can carry a camera and do 3D...

... If you think you don't need a sim anymore then you're not using it properly. I use a sim all the time to practice my 3D, not my $1000 heli. Too many beginners think that a sim is only good to learn how to hover. Even the best pilots in the world still use a sim to practice a maneuver over and over again before trying it for the first time on their real heli....

No offense, but you're so focused on the end goal that you're not really considering the best way to get there but it's your time and your money so all I can say is good luck.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
82 Posts
Hey Nooblet... My story is much like yours...

The heli that changed it all for me was the V120d01... I can fly it quite well now! It's also a good heli to get used to flybarless setup and 3 axis gyro.

Plus...the thing is so freakin' light that it can handle a crash without breaking any parts, if...you are good at yanking down the throttle just before impact.
I even lost control and it went into the bathroom and crashed in the toilet of all places! Completely submerged...electronics and everything. I took it out...dried it with a hairdryer and was flying again the next day!

I'm planning to move up to the V450d01 soon...but learning on that heli could be an expensive and time consuming prospect because it's so powerful it will disintegrate if you touch anything with a moving rotor.

I say practice your hovering on a v120 first...because it's so forgiving!
--just my two cents.
nycheli is offline Find More Posts by nycheli
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
You cannot do that with the TRAVADJ, you must leave it all at 100%, now you have your 3 swashplate servo not working together the same travel, this is not a good idea.

If you want more or less cyclic pitch (elevator or aileron pitch) you have to go in the SWASHMIX menu and adjust it from there with a pitch gauge on your blade.

Throttle shoulb be 100% travel also to make the ESC happy, and you adjust it from the throttle curve menu.
Actually you can. When using this heli, the three axis gyro works better when the aileron is numbed down a bit,and the rudder is a little higher so the gyro reaction time is not compromised. It has nothing to do with pitch,just numbing down the servo travel. I have other 3 axis gyro heli's (V200d01), and they have a dedicated switch to do the same thing. I'm talkin throttle curve and servo travel not pitch. Walkera's are very fickle, and not like other helis, so you have to think outside the usual heli box.
Last edited by ferbio; Dec 10, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
To finish my thought

Yes the v200d01 is a fixed pitched heli, but the concept is the same. I also have an exceed blue ray, and would never use these settings, but with this 3x gyro,it just works.(for hovering and a little fast flight), which is what noob wants.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:36 AM
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Ferbio thanks for the heads up, I will try that tomorrow. BTW, where are you from ferbio? Maybe I can go to your place and copy your entire setup.. and if you're not watching I will switch my heli and tx with yours.. LOL... just kidding.. :P

Hope I helped you enjoy the v450d01.This heli kicks ass if you can fly it!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:58 AM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Do you guys know any heli similar to v120d01 but with better brand?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:05 AM
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Quote:
Do you guys know any heli similar to v120d01 but with better brand?
You ??>L<
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:41 AM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
huh?