HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:11 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Just need some mini 450 size hellfires/copperheads, a few 6? tiny machine guns a bit of bullet proof lacquer and some turbo thrusters and I think you're finished...
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
572 Posts
hi all, anyone here using a devo 10 tx that you can access using an USB cable and log into the tx? please help...i'm trying to upload a model that a supplier into the tx...i've got te *bin file but can't seem to get into the tx.....
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
That's an old video. Here is a recent one. I believe it's a Hobbywing Pentium 45A ESC.
http://youtu.be/WnaAiUrbP8M
Nice, maybe this is what i will do with my 2nd V450 with the 2702V that i can't even fly 3D on anymore . So since it's junk for 3D and has a gear switch channel .... Might be fun to do this scale build thing again. The 200 size bell 222 was fun, but that 5 blade rotor was just too expensive for me to keep and fly though. You've inspired me, i might do this eventually.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:34 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
V450BX - 3D Flight, fighting wind & FF Piros (5 min 3 sec)
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:23 PM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
That is for TX to TX transfers of models like in when you want to do a "Buddy-Box" for a friend & this way you have his model info. You can't just download a bin file & move it into your TX, at least not to my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
hi all, anyone here using a devo 10 tx that you can access using an USB cable and log into the tx? please help...i'm trying to upload a model that a supplier into the tx...i've got te *bin file but can't seem to get into the tx.....
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:24 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
V450BX - 3D Flight 2 - 01-13-13 (4 min 18 sec)

V450BX - 3D Flight 2 - 01-13-13 (4 min 18 sec)

Head over to the Gaui Thread to see the airbourne failure i had on the X5! I'm pretty freaking lucky, if anything. I think i paid my dues up front with Walkera!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
I was out at the baseball fields with the kids and some kites... same place I was told no flying my heli and there was a guy with a TREX 450 (not sure which exact version) but it was about 2ft off the deck and in full piro. I'm so looking forward to getting the 250DFC sorted and then I'm going to put a 3GX on the V450.
I'll have to find something to put the 2702 in... a Ladybird maybe!

Once it becomes a V450-3GX we can have a competition
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:28 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
I decided to start switching over to these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...airs_set_.html Traxxas copy connectors from HK since I managed to plug a battery to battery on my tricopter a few months ago while using these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html . The order took a little while to come through but now I have a few packs. 2 new Zippy LiPos are already done so I can convert the ESC on the V450 now too. I'll convert my other decent packs to these too but the older ones I'll just keep for the tri which is more of a beater (parts are cheaper and easier to keep enough spares of), maybe make an adapter until I get around to doing them all.

Good points so far are:
  1. Impossible to plug battery to battery
  2. Easier to pull apart
  3. Reusable
  4. Can handle larger AWG than bullets
  5. Not measured but I'm guessing less resistance (1 larger contact surface instead of 2)

Bad points:
  1. Bare contact exposed on one side (metal object could easily short)
  2. Pushing terminals home into housings can be hard work - even with a vice (but then getting bullets to clip in their housings could also be a PITA too)

I also had a problem with a multi-connector cable the other day. I'd left a 3S battery connected when I connected a 2S cell and fried the thin wires on the multi-cable. I decided that having already fried a molex doing the same with 2S to 1S that I'd best make it impossible to do again and created the following...

This way, I connect my Traxxas copy into the female side and have the ability to charge my old 3S(HT), 2S(XT60), 3S[Trex](JST) and 1S(molex) packs but without the risk that I zap 3S to 1S or anything stupid like that. The Traxxas cells go direct without an adaptor. During charging, the voltage drop caused by a converter is something I can live with to avoid the smell of burning insulation...

If I want to do parallel/series charging then I'll do it with Y connector after the right connector type but my mains PSU's are not really up to the job of multicharging large mAh cells anyway. I'm thinking about upgrading but the hassle of creating a 24V supply with ATX PSUs is still a bit further down my list of things to do. I really need a garage for that...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:31 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Anybody used this motor before?

http://www.wowhobbies.com/turboacesu...mpatibles.aspx

It says modification required to install. Does anybody know what modification it meant? Trim the frame maybe?
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:29 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I decided to start switching over to these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...airs_set_.html Traxxas copy connectors from HK since I managed to plug a battery to battery on my tricopter a few months ago while using these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html . The order took a little while to come through but now I have a few packs. 2 new Zippy LiPos are already done so I can convert the ESC on the V450 now too. I'll convert my other decent packs to these too but the older ones I'll just keep for the tri which is more of a beater (parts are cheaper and easier to keep enough spares of), maybe make an adapter until I get around to doing them all.

Good points so far are:
  1. Impossible to plug battery to battery
  2. Easier to pull apart
  3. Reusable
  4. Can handle larger AWG than bullets
  5. Not measured but I'm guessing less resistance (1 larger contact surface instead of 2)

Bad points:
  1. Bare contact exposed on one side (metal object could easily short)
  2. Pushing terminals home into housings can be hard work - even with a vice (but then getting bullets to clip in their housings could also be a PITA too)

I also had a problem with a multi-connector cable the other day. I'd left a 3S battery connected when I connected a 2S cell and fried the thin wires on the multi-cable. I decided that having already fried a molex doing the same with 2S to 1S that I'd best make it impossible to do again and created the following...

This way, I connect my Traxxas copy into the female side and have the ability to charge my old 3S(HT), 2S(XT60), 3S[Trex](JST) and 1S(molex) packs but without the risk that I zap 3S to 1S or anything stupid like that. The Traxxas cells go direct without an adaptor. During charging, the voltage drop caused by a converter is something I can live with to avoid the smell of burning insulation...

If I want to do parallel/series charging then I'll do it with Y connector after the right connector type but my mains PSU's are not really up to the job of multicharging large mAh cells anyway. I'm thinking about upgrading but the hassle of creating a 24V supply with ATX PSUs is still a bit further down my list of things to do. I really need a garage for that...
In the picture below you can see on the left i have a 6S pack plugged in to a EC5 charge plug which is directly plugged into my charger. One day i pulled those out and the 4mm bullet plugs touched!! It was a GIANT light show! CRAZY. The bullet plugs actually disintegrated and melted into nothing. Basically just stubs now. Since then, i stopped using the 4mm bullet plugs direct into the charger. I now use the para boards using a XT60 female to EC5 male which plugs into the para board and then the battery. As shown on the right side with the 6S pack. Though, now i can plug a lower rated battery into the para board by accident. It's very unlikely since the 6S packs have to charge on their own. Then i have to come back and charge the 2S and 3S packs later. I do have 2 chargers now. But my PSU is not beefy enough. So for now this method is what i will be using. Since the 4f200 uses 3S packs with XT60 and the V450 uses 3S packs with the XT60. I can now buy my batteries from turnigy and never have to solder my battery plugs or buy new plugs. They come with the right plug! But my 6S Turnigy packs come with those crappy red 5mm bullet plugs. So i have to switch them out. I almost went with the Traxx plugs your using. Because, FYI, they are also supposedly 100A rated too. But i am happy with the EC5. As i am sure i would have been with the Traxx plugs.

I really like the Hobbyking XT60 plugs for the smaller birds though. They are great for a few reasons. One is safety and polarization. You cannot plug them into another battery or other anything stupid like that. But the Eflite EC5's have made me really want to give the Eflite EC3's a shot. I'm sure they plug, and unplug just as nice. Another cool thing is that the Eflite EC3 plug will directly plug into a XT60 plug. So you can have EC3's on your battery and plug them into a XT60 ESC. Pretty cool right? I have tried "off brand" versions of EC5. They are not as nice or as good. The Eflite is the nice one. Hobbyking makes the nice XT60. I had some off brands of the XT60 which melted too easily. The HK ones are a little better all around. Though i wouldn't doubt if some company out there has improved the design either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
Anybody used this motor before?

http://www.wowhobbies.com/turboacesu...mpatibles.aspx

It says modification required to install. Does anybody know what modification it meant? Trim the frame maybe?
That is a good motor. I does not require any modification to install in the V450. I have ran it in mine before and it is a powerful motor using only an 11T pinion. I broke the brass pinion that came with it on mine in a crash and had to buy a steel 11T pinion. Otherwise it should be a direct drop in and wire up. You just have to install the pinion and plug it in & screw it down. The bullet plugs come soldered on the motor already and they will plug into the Walkera ESC. But this motor has been known to catch Walkera speed controllers on fire! Including my own. So you should consider a new ESC too. Not one made by Walkera. To do that, you probably need to know how to solder and have the right tools.

I am currently using this motor with a 13T pinion.
http://www.wowhobbies.com/copterxcx2...icopter-2.aspx

I have been considering going back to the Turbo Ace 804. But i don't know what timing the motor wants to run at or anything. So i have the specs for my ESC settings for the copterX motor. It works fine, but i think i would get better consistency and head speed with the Turbo Ace 804 with a 11T or 12T pinion.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jan 15, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:36 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Yeah - I want a setup like that for charging but on a smaller scale would be fine.
I use the XT60 on my 2S cells (which actually don't get flown so much these days) which was the only reason I didn't want to re-use them for 3S. Their only downside is that you have to remember to put the HEATSHRINK ON FIRST!!!
Otherwise I tend to swear...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:45 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Yeah - I want a setup like that for charging but on a smaller scale would be fine.
I use the XT60 on my 2S cells (which actually don't get flown so much these days) which was the only reason I didn't want to re-use them for 3S. Their only downside is that you have to remember to put the HEATSHRINK ON FIRST!!!
Yeah, i'm glad i got 3S in my 4f200 now. Though i have to work on maybe gearing it down or something. I don't know yet. I think it's all in my gyro. But I have a few 2S packs and motor just laying here. I might have to start selling some of this stuff. It's not like anyone is paying me for all this R&D

OH yeah, thats another nice thing about the XT60. SURE you have to use heat shrink! But!! You can easily cut it off. Remove the old wires and reuse the XT60 without much fuss. The red bullets pretty much have to be cut out of the red part most of the time. The Eflte EC5's however i have managed to tap right out the back with a hammer, no problem. But if you heat or try to unsolder, or solder a new wire in while in the blue case. The case will melt
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
BTW, that charger is only about $120... It's not expensive. It's the only reason i bought it. I have the 200W version sitting here. I was going to sell it. But it actually balances cells better. So i keep it just to cap off my balancing after power charging with the 400W version. I'm not as impressed with this new version as with the older one. But they get the job done for cheap. The PSU from Hobby King is only about $60. I just have not got one. Otherwise a old desktop 400W or better PSU will work for free, basically. Thats what i'm using right now.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:53 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
BTW, that charger is only about $120... It's not expensive. It's the only reason i bought it. I have the 200W version sitting here. I was going to sell it. But it actually balances cells better. So i keep it just to cap off my balancing after power charging with the 400W version. I'm not as impressed with this new version as with the older one. But they get the job done for cheap. The PSU from Hobby King is only about $60. I just have not got one. Otherwise a old desktop 400W or better PSU will work for free, basically. Thats what i'm using right now.
I have 2 ex-IT dept laptop PSUs which are each running at ~100W and powering my iCharger and BC6 at 16V. For charging 3S 2200 at 5A they work fine and were free.
Last edited by thwaitm; Jan 17, 2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:06 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
I just found this on AliExpress... http://www.aliexpress.com/item/360W-...671914561.html

for $30 shipped I figured I'd give it a go. I should be able to charge two 3S 2200 cells in series at ~2C using this on the 208B, plus a 3rd on the BC6 which I have currently, probably the most I can see me needing to do for now.