SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
i am also using the kds n290 for a while, no problems so far :-)
addi, it was u who recommended the servos to me....remember? great stuff n cheap too!!
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:22 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
I tried changing the protocol to 2601. That didn't work either. Any other ideas guys? I think it may be a bad one I got.
Can you make a video? Make sure you show the LED on the RX. Best thing, plug in the ESC and a servo into the RX, attatch the battery and show the LED. Turn on your TX using a reset memory and see what you get...

If that still doesn't work reset the ID on the RX. That should be a slow flash - takes 1second to go on then off.

Then try again, RX on first then TX.
If it doesn't bind then you have got a duff one.

Normally you have ~10secs to power the RX after switching on the TX but the RX waits in search mode until it gets a signal which is why we do it in reverse order when checking...
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:24 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,863 Posts
I got a couple (4?) packs through mine today and realised I'm a bit out of practice with this one. It was a bit windy, the light was bad (7:15am) and my fingers were cold but other than that I had good steady flights. I decided to hold off of flipping her today. I have no doubt she'd have made it but I wasn't feeling awake enough today or maybe emotionally capable of sustaining another wreck!!
The upside of being a chicken (or showing post 40s maturity) is that she's ready to go again next weekend and given the scarcity of postmen over the next few weeks that's got to count for something!!
Also flew my TRI with bigger props and didn't crash that either...

Told you I wasn't trying...!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:57 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,937 Posts
I managed to fly a lot of flights on both 450s this weekend. I crashed the white one. Lost orientation and splat! The only damage was the blue Align blades and the main gear. I broke one landing skid leg. CA'ed that thing back together and the heli is ready to fly again once i get some more blades. I think i'm going to stick with the very cheap FRP blades again for a while. They are a little less responsive than the CF but they still fly nice and are cheap as hell in a crash. If you consider $16 for the Align ones i just destroyed and only $3.50 for the FRP ones. I actually only would have had to pay $7 to repair my 450 this time if i had the FRP blades on. It's only about $2-3 for a single align main gear and thats all. I might have bent the main shaft too, but i fix those and reuse them. So The V450 is definitely a cheap bird to fix and maintain if you do it the right way. The "new" V450D01 looks like with the KDS servos it should end up being pretty stable too. I trust the two guys using them, they have to be better than walkera's 450 servos, no matter what.

Anyway, i didn't order a Spektrum remote receiver for my new BeastX and now i can't afford too But i went ahead and ordered the new Turnigy 4x6S Charger.

This charger is the same as the one i already have except it's capable of 400W instead of the 200W my charger is. So it's a 100w x 4 channel charger. I was having trouble with my 6S packs so with this i should be able to charge 4A on the 6S packs 4 at a time and i'll have a whole second charger freed up to charge my 2S and 3S packs. My charging rig is going to need expanding. It will probably get a upgrade now too. The funny thing is my 400W converted PSU is maxed out pretty good right now. I'll need a second PSU. But i found some 600w computer PSUs for about $30 that will push 40-45A on the 12V rail. I think that will be enough for now. So i am now officially tapped. But hopefully charging my 6S packs at 1C instead of 0.5C will allow me to field charge fast enough now to save me some major cash on pack stock piles.

So i'll be using the 2801-pro with the uBeast i just ordered. At least until i can order a spektrum SX or find a way to get the guy at the LHS to trade me a telemetry module for some store credit. Something like that. OH, crap. I also just realized that i don't have the uBeast RX patch cords with the one i bought... What a pain. I guess i can make some up out of old burned out Walkera servo wires
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
addi, it was u who recommended the servos to me....remember? great stuff n cheap too!!
Oh yes, i remember now
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:17 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,837 Posts
Integrity,
I think the 2801 RX will serve you well. I've been using them over a year with no brown outs or anything. I'm slowly moving over to Devo, bu will always have good things to say.
Mitch
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
Integrity,
I think the 2801 RX will serve you well. I've been using them over a year with no brown outs or anything. I'm slowly moving over to Devo, bu will always have good things to say.
Mitch
Yeah, everyone seems to have good luck. I have no doubt it will work. Though i'm skeptical about making my own patch wires with the cheap, thin, and silicone jacketed servo wires from my burned out walkera servos. Anyway, I mainly just want to get off of the 2801-pro TX. The sticks are too sloppy and loose. I've tightened them twice now, to no avail. which i've avoided doing until i purchased a Spek DX8. The "feel" of the two transmitters are just night and day. No matter how tight i put the tension on the 2801-pro it still feels loose and sloppy in comparison. It's well used, but i also have a brand new 2801-pro. At one point i had 4 2801-pro TX sitting around because they became so cheap and easy to acquire. I literally bought a brand new(used but hardly touched) 2801-pro for $35. So, the point being. Even on the newer, less worn out sticks on the 2801. It simply does not feel as nice as the DX8. Even the DX6 and DX7 don't feel as nice. The problem is when i switch from one heli to the other, having two TX is a pain, i'm sure anyone can relate. But on top of that, i have to remember the muscle memory for each TX and adjust between flights on a personal muscle memory level. Constantly having to reprogram myself and making me uneasy. One TX i'm hoping to streamline things for convenience at the least. Since i fly these two the most. Though today i have my 4f200 back in one piece and it wants to "TRY" again.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:45 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,837 Posts
The new devo 8 has a nice feel, and my wife got me the 12s for Chistmas. I'll let you know what that's like tomorrow
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
The new devo 8 has a nice feel, and my wife got me the 12s for Chistmas. I'll let you know what that's like tomorrow
I've always hoped, but never knew if the Devo improved the TX gimbals or not. Because, as i said. I also wonder if the Devo 10 is like the 2801-pro, hardware wise. When i was in the LHS buying the DX8. Even the DX6, and DX7 didn't compare. Both were a little tighter and maybe nicer than the 2801. Not sure with out side-by-side. But the DX8 with the back light screen, 3 mode on every switch, and just all the extra features. It's won me over. I think the Devo 12 has about as many features plus the touch screen. I'm sure it has telemetry and all that too. So it's a nice TX. Of course, i wanted the DSMX TX anyway. Hobbyking has "orange" rx thats only about $8 that works with those. I might start building some "experimental" rc projects. Including a hovercraft, "swamp boat" and eventually some kind of robot. Having access to the cheap, cheap, cheap, hobbyking dsm2 units and things is a plus and i have sound piece of mind with a quality TX and no "what ifs". Even though diviation is looking nice these days. I'd rather just stick with this path for now.

Anyway, i went to the field today. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY! Crappy high winds from a direction i didn't like and complete haze overcast! Absolutely disgusting looking day. Just gray and just enough light to piss you off. The 4f200 crashed again. Immediately after fixing it AGAIN! It was flying fine then all of a sudden the motor started revving and while doing a roll. I think the stock motor is shot out now. I'll have to install the turbo ace 352 again. 4f200 took a dirt nap as did both my V120s, as is the normal. These helicopters just don't like to stay in the air for me. I push too hard for what they are capable of and without PERFECT pitch control, and not overthrowing and over correcting your pitch. These helicopters are just not capable of stable 3D. I'm just glad i have the V450d01 sorted now. Speaking of which. When i arrived home from the field my new uBeast was waiting at my door step. How's that for fast holiday shipping? Ordered it on friday, he shipped it sat. And i received it today.

Oh well, i guess i'm off to solder some new patch cords for the beastX to the 2801-pro.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 24, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:14 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,172 Posts
Good luck and merry christmas to all. My wife decided we wont exchange gifts this xmas and do all for kids, well i dont like that one bit , so i got her a little something, hehehe hohohoh. And now i get to buy some thing cool. But what do i need.....hmmmmmmm, tx holder, deans connectors?.....
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Last edited by Heli Biggie; Dec 24, 2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Good luck and merry christmas to all. My wife decided we wont exchange gifts this xmas and do all for kids, well i dont like that one bit , so i got her a little something, hehehe hohohoh. And now i get to buy some thing cool. But what do i need.....hmmmmmmm, tx holder, deans connectors?.....
I just finally grabbed a Xtreme standoff for the 2801-pro. It's pretty nice i guess. It balances the TX much better than where the other one is. I like it.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:45 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,937 Posts
Update to my build log:

Upgrade to BeastX phase 1
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:43 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,937 Posts
Another update to the build log and some video with the new BeastX gyro installed. Below the link i will cut and paste my first thoughts and the videos from the link.

BeastX phase 1, Part 2 - Flight Test & Review

Okay, so my initial flight impressions of the BeastX on the V450.... IT'S AWESOME! It is actually more stable than the 2702V. However, i will say that the 2702V is actually not bad for the basics and general hover stability. But the BeastX is actually much better. It handles pirouettes and reverse flight much better. When the wind did blow i could feel a much quicker and harder response from the BeastX gyros. Just holding the heli in my hand and tipping the heli, even the slightest movement registered. Where as with the 2702 in the winds, or my hand, the gyros were not the fastest to respond and also the amount they resisted was probably not as much, or as sensitive as these are. Anyway, i expect the gyro to really show a difference when the wind is a little stronger, i hope at least. So here are 3 of the first 5 flights. Unfortunately it's been very cloudy and almost no sun. Also the wind has been on and off and from all different directions. The day i did the first 5 flights it was not very windy. Just a light breeze here and there.

V450BX - BeastX = better pirouettes
V450BX - BeastX = better pirouettes - 12-25-12 (4 min 57 sec)

V450BX - BeastX Piros & reverse flight! and tick tocks
V450BX - BeastX Piros & reverse flight! - 12-25-12 (4 min 39 sec)

V450BX - More 3D and some reverse flight!
V450BX - More 3D and some reverse flight! - 12-25-12 (4 min 40 sec)
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 26, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:00 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
You are a happy camper now!
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:34 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,863 Posts
The crazy thing is that the uBeast is worth the same amount as the stock V450D01 BNF. I'd like one but there's no way I can justify it for the amount and how well I can fly...
Damn... :-(