HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,553 Posts
On the Devo RX, th 02 denotes telemetry capability. So rx701 is a seven channel, and the rx802 is an 8 channel with telemetry. Rx801 is 8 channel w/o telemetry. And so on...
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,553 Posts
Btw, the 2801 pro setup is also very good, but not compatible with Devo.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
565 Posts
im using the rx1002 on my 250 dfc and also a rx2801 on my quadcopter...so far they work great. No issue or loss of signal....so u should be alright with walkera rx BUT not so sure about the built in rx/gyro ie 2702v as i've lost confidence in them......
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
On the Devo RX, th 02 denotes telemetry capability. So rx701 is a seven channel, and the rx802 is an 8 channel with telemetry. Rx801 is 8 channel w/o telemetry. And so on...
Thank you for clearing that up. I was kind of wondering about that myself.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:16 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,553 Posts
I'm slowly moving form 2801 to Devo. I wish the devo radio could run the older spec (and I know about Deviation) My wife got me Devo 12s for Christmas, maybe I'll change the 8 to deviation to run my V450.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
I'm slowly moving form 2801 to Devo. I wish the devo radio could run the older spec (and I know about Deviation) My wife got me Devo 12s for Christmas, maybe I'll change the 8 to deviation to run my V450.
I got so sick of the 2702V locking me out that i can no longer trust Walkera radio systems. I am aware many people are having success with Devo systems. But i am making the switch to Spektrum for everything. If not for any other reason, it's because Walkera is limited in compatibility and questionable reliability. For me, anyway. But DSM2/DSMX is a standard in RC now a days. Most gyros and other devices consider them in their design protocol. Walkera is not. Also because I can use a Spektrum TX with just about any DSM2 RX too. So even those $7 hobbyking RX should work with it just fine. Just little things, i know. But Walkera has just been a constant struggle for me. So i was really skeptical about dropping the $450 on a DX8 with the RX and telemetry. But i have to say. It ended up being the best radio i have ever used, coming from a 2801-pro. Which was a nice TX too. But the way the sticks feel on the DX8 vs the 2801-pro is night and day. The DX8 is much nicer and no matter how tight i put the tension on the 2801-pro. It's also very nice having 3 positions on just about every switch and telemetry and all this cool stuff. It's the most function filled TX i have ever owned too. THANKFULLY i was able to switch the TH and flight mode switches around inside the software so they are where the Walkera TX switches normally are. So i didn't have to relearn throttle cuts or end up turning on TH when i ment to idle up or something. Soon i will have a Microbeast with a Spektrum Satellite RX or "SX" for my V450. Hopefully. I'm about broke these days lol.

With a devo 12 in your arsenal i would absolutely try out diviation on your Devo 8. Then you too would have access to the DSM2 type RX's for your future projects. It opens up doors to other avenues and cheaper devices too.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Yes I agree with Integrity, try out Deviation. I use it for all my stuff now.
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Do it. It will make your 8s able to bind with almost anything. What have you got to lose? You've got a 12s! (By the time you start loving it, there will be Deviation firmware for the 12s...)

And IH,
Thanks again for your time and thoughtful answers. It really is helpful and gives me a lot to think about. You illustrated very well why the wiring configuration could be problematic. What you're saying is logical - and almost makes me wonder what they were thinking. That V450D03 does not look like the most practical approach was taken there.
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
I'm going to post this here, just because i know some people like Iflyhelis has had their Walkera Devo 10 short out and fail but was able to get it repaired/replaced because of the defect. I have also talked about how i had a 2702V replaced by wow hobbies. The support for those products have been pretty good. I actually expected worse and got better. I guess that is the up side that comes with being a pessimist. But now i am going to show you why dealing with Horizon Hobbies is beyond this limited support from Walkera. If you live in the US anyway. This is copied out of my X5 build log and the X5 thread as well. As it pertains to my build on that heli. The over all point is that the item WAS NOT covered by warranty at all. But they replaced it anyway. I would never hold my breath on ever being able to send ANYTHING directly to Walkera myself, let alone getting something replaced that was broken at my fault. All within something like 2 weeks.

Okay, so if anyone has been following my Gaui X5 build log. They know i fried my tm1000 module when installing the thing. I probably hooked it up wrong. In fact i know i did, .... now. But i sent it in to Horizon under warranty anyway. They determined that it was damaged due to a external short that caused the telemetry module to burn out. Now i will agree that the TM1000 it's self was not the cause. It was no defect with the unit it's self. But if anything my original blame would have been on the soft and easily compromised silicone shielding on the very thin battery leads. Not for nothing, but the new TM1000 i bought shortly after had PVC shielding on all of the wires and sensors. I have not opened the box on the brand new one yet to see what kind of shielding it has on the wires. It could just be circumstantial on what ever wire was in use at the factory at the time too. Who knows, right?

Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:02 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
279 Posts
Well now you have a spare. That was nice of them to replace it for you.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:39 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Well now you have a spare. That was nice of them to replace it for you.
Honestly, Beyond nice. I think. They really didn't have to, right? Now i might sell it on ebay or something. But building a 700 has been getting tempting. The current problem i'm facing is i'm concerned for walkera V450 parts support. I would like maybe sell at least one of my V450s and build another heli. The problem here is the next heli i build i have to build in slow increments, if i'm going to afford it at all. I can get a X5 airframe for the same amount as the 480 Devil i want to build. But why would i bring two Gaui X5's to the field on the same day, unless i crash one? So it's probably more practical to build the 480, since it will be MUCH nicer than my V450, a little bigger and lots more power with 6S. So i think i would enjoy bringing that and my X5 to the field. Since i never fly two batteries back to back in one heli. But the frame costs the same amount as the already built X5 airframe i can buy here locally. What i really would like is a X7. But thats just a $2000 pipe dream.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:04 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,553 Posts
Integrity, what's this about Devo 10 shorting out? Tx or RX? I just bought some rx1001's, are they safe?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:51 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Integrity, what's this about Devo 10 shorting out? Tx or RX? I just bought some rx1001's, are they safe?
They should be fine. I don't know what caused his devo 10 to fail. It was probably poor QC at the factory. It was the TX. I really have not ever heard of anyone else having that happen. It was probably just a defect. The worst thing i have been hearing about with Devo Tx's is the Devo 12 screens going bad. I have not heard anyone have any specific problems with the devo receivers. They should be reliable if they work with your gyro and everything. You should be fine. Safe as the next one, i suppose. I prefer to have the longer antenna wires on my RX so i can place them where and how i like now though. All the newer productions off the line of the Devo RXs should have them. Far as i have seen anyway. It's not the end of the world if they have the short wires though. As long as your not installing them on something bigger than a 450 with a CF frame.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
I had a Devo 7 that had a trace of solder on a pot which would mean it shorted out at one extent. Resoldered the pot and it was fine. This might have been another issue entirely though... we never know!!
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
i've been flying my helis on the rx1002 for awhile now. they work fine. no issues.....yet.....
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong