HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:55 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,365 Posts
Y-V450D01C - 12-02-12 - 3D Flight #2 (4 min 58 sec)

Y-V450D01C - 12-02-12 - 3D Flight #3 (5 min 24 sec)

V450D01C - 12-02-12 - 3D Flight #2 (3 min 20 sec)

Gaui X5 - 3D Flight 49 - Showing off 3D & FFF - 12-02-12 (6 min 29 sec)

Gaui X5 - 3D Flight 50 - Tick tocks & Some inverted - 12-02-12 (6 min 31 sec)

Gaui X5 - 3D Flight 51 - New Pack - 12-02-12 (3 min 42 sec)

V120D05CS08 - 3D Flight in wind 1 - 12-02-12 (3 min 58 sec)

V450D01C 12 04 12 Nice 3D practice Flight (4 min 56 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 05, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:07 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
The only downside is that I really feel that the rudder is slow to react to my input... do I need to fiddle with the pots on my RX I wonder...
So I checked my pots on my RX2702V-D and found the tail delay was wound way up past where it should have been... no wonder I felt like it was attached by string. Elev and Aile pots were also pointing directly up between the - and +. I have tweaked them closer to the plus but I'll have to wait for the weekend to get out and test... looking for my RX2702V that I used to fly it with but which damned parts box is it in?? Grrr! Too many bits in too many places.

I need a man cave/garage/hangar... and some decent racking!

EDIT: Found the old RX, the pots were all pointing at the -. I remember thinking it flew ok like that so now wondering how it'll fly with the settings posted by IHWK a while back. Definitely less tail delay will be good though.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; Dec 05, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:22 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
So I checked my pots on my RX2702V-D and found the tail delay was wound way up past where it should have been... no wonder I felt like it was attached by string. Elev and Aile pots were also pointing directly up between the - and +. I have tweaked them closer to the plus but I'll have to wait for the weekend to get out and test... looking for my RX2702V that I used to fly it with but which damned parts box is it in?? Grrr! Too many bits in too many places.

I need a man cave/garage/hangar... and some decent racking!
Yeah, tail delay should be all the way down.

It sounds like you need a good big parts box/organizer at the least.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:59 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Motor choices

What's good plug-play motor for V450d01 that already come installed with pinion and will fit the frame and stock ESC connectors? Yes I still will be using Walkera stock ESC as I don't solder and don't want to reprogram a new ESC.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:02 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Im using the align mx 450 motor with stock esc. Is been great. Some say i was running 3800rpm , but now im at 3300. I had to instll pinion but at is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
What's good plug-play motor for V450d01 that already come installed with pinion and will fit the frame and stock ESC connectors? Yes I still will be using Walkera stock ESC as I don't solder and don't want to reprogram a new ESC.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:23 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Im using the align mx 450 motor with stock esc. Is been great. Some say i was running 3800rpm , but now im at 3300. I had to instll pinion but at is easy.
What pinion size did u go with? I see average price for mx 450 is $46. Anything cheaper out there. I don't fly 3 D so I don't need perfomance yet.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:17 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
I cant remember pinion size. 17 tooth maybe, i believe its on heliflyer711 blog, i have same setup.

Also remember cheaper isnt always better. We are trying to keep our flying machines in the air. This is a great motor. You can tell just by holding it!
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Heli Biggie; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: More info
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I cant remember pinion size. 17 tooth maybe, i believe its on heliflyer711 blog, i have same setup.

Also remember cheaper isnt always better. We are trying to keep our flying machines in the air. This is a great motor. You can tell just by holding it!
ok, thanks I'll give it a try.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:47 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,365 Posts
Quote:
The copterX 3550kv motor is only $20 and it works great. It comes with a 11 or 12T pinion but i would go ahead and order a 13T pinion to install on it. It's very easy to install and does not require a vise, press or anything other than a 1.5mm hex wrench to tighten the grub screw, and maybe some thread lock. Things you should already have, i think.

I would say to order them from wowhobbies but they have a jacked up shipping price right now, for the holidays i suppose, I'm not really sure. But wowhobbies is not the only place to get a copterX motor. It is probably the only domestic vendor that will get it to you quickly. Here is the link to the motor and 13T pinion anyway. (pictures are links too)

Pinion is out of stock right now.
http://www.wowhobbies.com/copterxcx2...opter-2-1.aspx

You can order these instead, and they are much better and won't break on you like the brass ones can. They are Rhino steel pinions, i use these on both of my V450s.

Otherwise, in the line up of other options. The turbo ace 804 is an excellent motor as well. wowhobbies is the only place you can get one. It really does provide more power than the Align motor, and so it only needs an 11T pinion, which comes with the motor. But the Align motor is also a good motor. It probably needs a 13T pinion installed to get the same head speed. Both are good. However the Turbo Ace 804 has a history of burning out the stock Walkera ESC. So you might not want to go that route unless your going to install a new ESC like a CC ICE 50 or the Hobbywing Platinum pro 40A.

Another cheap motor i was going to try at one point is the Turnigy Typhoon. But i never got around to it since my copterX motors worked out perfectly so far. I don't know anything about it. But spec wise it probably needs a 12T pinion minimum to get up to 3k rpm, 13T would probably be better. But for the cost, it should handle any sort of basic flight and be no big deal. I personally would go with one of the others just because i have used them, and i have not used a turnigy motor. I really have no idea what to expect from them. But here it is for only $15, i would think it's about the same as the copterX motor, being they are the same KV rating.

Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 05, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:43 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
The copterX 3550kv motor is only $20 and it works great. It comes with a 11 or 12T pinion but i would go ahead and order a 13T pinion to install on it. It's very easy to install and does not require a vise, press or anything other than a 1.5mm hex wrench to tighten the grub screw, and maybe some thread lock. Things you should already have, i think.
I would say to order them from wowhobbies but they have a jacked up shipping price right now, for the holidays i suppose, I'm not really sure. But wowhobbies is not the only place to get a copterX motor. It is probably the only domestic vendor that will get it to you quickly. Here is the link to the motor and 13T pinion anyway. (pictures are links too)

Pinion is out of stock right now.
http://www.wowhobbies.com/copterxcx2...opter-2-1.aspx

You can order these instead, and they are much better and won't break on you like the brass ones can. They are Rhino steel pinions, i use these on both of my V450s.

Otherwise, in the line up of other options. The turbo ace 804 is an excellent motor as well. wowhobbies is the only place you can get one. It really does provide more power than the Align motor, and so it only needs an 11T pinion, which comes with the motor. But the Align motor is also a good motor. It probably needs a 13T pinion installed to get the same head speed. Both are good. However the Turbo Ace 804 has a history of burning out the stock Walkera ESC. So you might not want to go that route unless your going to install a new ESC like a CC ICE 50 or the Hobbywing Platinum pro 40A.

Another cheap motor i was going to try at one point is the Turnigy Typhoon. But i never got around to it since my copterX motors worked out perfectly so far. I don't know anything about it. But spec wise it probably needs a 12T pinion minimum to get up to 3k rpm, 13T would probably be better. But for the cost, it should handle any sort of basic flight and be no big deal. I personally would go with one of the others just because i have used them, and i have not used a turnigy motor. I really have no idea what to expect from them. But here it is for only $15, i would think it's about the same as the copterX motor, being they are the same KV rating.

Copterx motor with 13t pinion it'll be. Yep that's easy enough, done motor/pinion installation on my Gaui 200.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:52 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,365 Posts
Quote:
Copterx motor with 13t pinion it'll be. Yep that's easy enough, done motor/pinion installation on my Gaui 200.
Just FYI, the 13T pinion gives me around 3200 RPM at 100% at the beginning of the flight. So honestly even the 11T or 12T will have you flying just fine. I prefer the higher HS myself. Since half way though the pack you'll be at around 2900 rpm or something like that. I'm being very general here. But the RPM drops through the length of the flight. So i prefer 3200 at the start of the flight. The 11T will probably give you around 2800-2900 at the start of the flight.

It's note worthy to mention Align 325mm blades are listed as 2800 RPM MAX! But i have not had any problems yet. Besides that, Helibiggie is flying his align motor at like 3600 rpm and not having issues either. His is way geared up with the pinion.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:21 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Just circuits with v450do1, so stock copterx motor should suffice for me. Practings sports with nano cpx.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:48 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,365 Posts
Quote:
Just circuits with v450do1, so stock copterx motor should suffice for me. Practings sports with nano cpx.
Good luck, It will also run your ESC cooler with the stock pinion. It says in the listing on wow's web site that it does not come with a pinion. But mine did come with a 11t or 12t pinion. I didn't care because i wanted to install the steel 13T pinions anyway. But thats just something else, just so you know. If it doesn't come with a pinion just let me know and i'll mail you one of mine.

I do also recommend you replace the ESC at some point when/if you can. If you wanted to upgrade at some point, but solder work and programming is preventing you from doing it. I would be more than happy to set one up for you and mail it over. Just order the ESC and battery plug you want and have them sent to me. I'll solder them together, program the ESC for the v450 and send it back to you. No charge, just cover the return shipping to yourself. It's only about $3 first class mail from FL to NY. So thats no big deal. Just trying to help you enjoy the hobby a little easier. I had enough grief with this model for all of us. PM me if you ever want to do this or need help. No worries.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:19 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Good luck, It will also run your ESC cooler with the stock pinion. It says in the listing on wow's web site that it does not come with a pinion. But mine did come with a 11t or 12t pinion. I didn't care because i wanted to install the steel 13T pinions anyway. But thats just something else, just so you know. If it doesn't come with a pinion just let me know and i'll mail you one of mine.

I do also recommend you replace the ESC at some point when/if you can. If you wanted to upgrade at some point, but solder work and programming is preventing you from doing it. I would be more than happy to set one up for you and mail it over. Just order the ESC and battery plug you want and have them sent to me. I'll solder them together, program the ESC for the v450 and send it back to you. No charge, just cover the return shipping to yourself. It's only about $3 first class mail from FL to NY. So thats no big deal. Just trying to help you enjoy the hobby a little easier. I had enough grief with this model for all of us. PM me if you ever want to do this or need help. No worries.

Hey thanks will pm you.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Hey IntegrityHndywrk, you seem like a knowledgeable and helpful guy. I just have read so many of your threads talking so badly about the Walkera 450's that I'm pretty much scared off at this point. I get it that you like the airframe on the D01, and pretty much think everything else should be replaced. Is there an ARF/BNF that you would suggest to a beginner (while I've got some money) over a Walkera? Thunder Tiger maybe? I was looking at the Walkera D01, or even D03. I know your opinion on the latter, but that plastic that's like the plastic on the Master CP is super durable. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA