SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:47 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
so I finally got sometime to look into setting up the zyx.. tell u guys what... I'm giving up soon again...this thing hasn't got anything (flashing lights or anything) to show the values of the setup ie. travel endpoints etc.... so if I do not know how many percentage it is travelling on each servos, how am I suppose to get all 3 cyclic servos to work together....? arrrrgggghhh!! such a waste of time n that video.... I nearly fell asleep watching it for the maybe 55th times.....

now what r the options out there other than the 3gx and the v2702/2703? I intend to keep using the walkera tx or i would have got the ar7200 which apparently is really good...

integrity, u have that ar7200 on ur x5 right?
Yes, i have to agree with flint, the ZYX you really should have the program box or the usb adapter for your PC. It just looks too confusing otherwise.

I don't actually have the AR7200 on my X5. I have the equivalent though. Actually what i have is better because i have telemetry with it. I don't know if the AR7200BX is telemetry capable or not. I would hope so, but i don't know. I have a Spektrum AR8000 RX and the Microbeast gyro. They are the same gyro in both, but the AR7200BX is technically made by Spektrum with the BeastX gyros all in one unit. It eliminates wires. That is what i plan on getting for my 450. But i am looking for somewhere with a Robird in stock so i can maybe try that for now anyway. I don't have the money right now to buy either really.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Jun 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Yes, i have to agree with flint, the ZYX you really should have the program box or the usb adapter for your PC. It just looks too confusing otherwise.

I don't actually have the AR7200 on my X5. I have the equivalent though. Actually what i have is better because i have telemetry with it. I don't know if the AR7200BX is telemetry capable or not. I would hope so, but i don't know. I have a Spektrum AR8000 RX and the Microbeast gyro. They are the same gyro in both, but the AR7200BX is technically made by Spektrum with the BeastX gyros all in one unit. It eliminates wires. That is what i plan on getting for my 450. But i am looking for somewhere with a Robird in stock so i can maybe try that for now anyway. I don't have the money right now to buy either really.
Talking about money spent on this hobby.... I wonder if one day down the years I would b asking myself ....should I have been stupid to spend all the money on all helicopters....? Have u guys ever wonder about this......? Will u get sick of the hobby one day......?im sure there are down times like me now where I've crashed another 450 within few days n feel hopeless in getting them back on the air again....

Now back with the zyx...does that mean if I get the program box I can just program it through the box with at least some numbers or values showing on it....?
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
You must be setting it up with the tx only... The way to go is to use the usb adapter and pc software to set it up.

There are many fbl options right now. The Robird g31(~$90) is at the top of my want list. But I have heard good things about the msh brain/ikon, microbeast, sk540. Although those last 3 are not very cheap. Personally, I plan on staying away from the 2702/2703.

I have an ar7200bx on my Protos and it is definitely the best I have ever used. Although I can't really find fault with my ZYX either. Setup was sort of confusing the first time (via tx), but the manual is actually pretty good at walking you through the steps.
Hi flint,

By what u were saying setting it with just the tx, does that mean I plug the zyx into a pc along with the tx....? Unlike what the video was trying to do there? It would b much appreciated if u could shed some light on this......
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:53 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Well, i went ahead and broke down the heli. It's quite a pain to get the rear tail gearing out and replace it. But i was actually able to install the Align tail drive. However, the shaft of the tail drive is too fat and rubs directly on the main gear. Just 1mm or so too close. This is why the Walkera version has a narrow section.

Okay, so now that i spent at least a hour or 2 doing that. I also broke one of the screws off inside the aluminum part when removing it. I must have over torqued it or it was damaged. So either way i have to remove this whole hybrid Align thing and install the Walkera version. I will examine it closer this time and see what i might have done wrong the last 2 times, apparently.

I'm thinking about maybe putting it on a drill or dremel and just grinding it in some. I don't know if it's worth all the fuss.

It's pretty interesting how much nicer the gear teeth are on the Align version. They actually look hard.

Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:02 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Hi flint,

By what u were saying setting it with just the tx, does that mean I plug the zyx into a pc along with the tx....? Unlike what the video was trying to do there? It would b much appreciated if u could shed some light on this......

I found a video that shows some of the USB setup screens. And a link to a web site that shows the program box setup. I think there is actually also a blue tooth link for the thing too or something. But i would stick with these.

Tarot ZYX 3-Axis gyro usb programming preview check it out ^_^ (9 min 7 sec)

http://www.raptortechnique.com/tarot/setup-prg_box.html
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
299 Posts
Quote:
Hi flint,

When you program the zyx with a pc, you start the system like you normally would. Tx on first, then plug heli battery in, make sure it is initialized (solid blue or red light), then plug in the usb adapter to the ZYX, open the software, and proceed to set it up. You don't use the tx for programming, but you will need to use it to check proper control direction's, ect.
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:06 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
Nearly had another crash today right after having fixed her up... luckily, after reading about Integrity's issues with new swashes and stripped threads I did a little pre-flight checking... swash to grip ball was begging to fall out... and I also noticed my battery tray was dangling loose as anything and one screw had already worked itself totally out in to the big wide world...

I got one flight in, but scared myself ****less... a squally wind came in over the trees bringing with it a little rain but worst was a violent down-draught which had me at full throttle full pitch and still descending! About 1m from the deck finally I got a break and she shot upwards. I brought her back into the shelter of the fence and landed sharpish... called it a day after that - it was only meant to be a check hover before I take her out for real tomorrow in anycase!!
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
walkera v450d01 3d dec 1 2012 1 (4 min 22 sec)

walkera v450d01 3d dec 1 2012 (2 min 57 sec)

align trex 600 pro 3d dec 1 2012 1 (3 min 59 sec)

align trex 600 pro 3d dec 1 2012 2 (4 min 36 sec)

please enjoy
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Okay, So for any of you who remember me, not to long ago talking about the one and only set of Pro 3D blades i had that were not balanced enough to fly with? I checked their balance so many times. They were always actually 0.1g off from each other. I've had this much variance before with no issue really. But i went ahead and measured out a 0.1g piece of electrical tape and stuck it on the CG point. Viola! The blades spun perfectly with no vibes! I can't believe this crap some times. So sensitive.

Okay, also i went ahead and installed the Walkera tail drive gear in my yellow v450. Since the Align version's shaft was too fat. I think i may have isolated the cause of the worn out "locking flange" or "key mark" whatever you want to call that thing. When i build the heli i thought there was something wrong with the way the holes were drilled for the top bearing block of this tail drive unit. The front two screws were VERY hard to get in and i had to pull down on the bearing block to get the screw holes to line up. I think this pulled the bearing block and the bearing into a crooked angle and the shaft ended up rubbing on an angle against the inside race of the bearing. This is the only thing i can find that it could be. Once i removed the block i drilled the CF frame's holes to a slotted shape so that side's angle could be adjusted or just line up, hopefully. I think it all worked out this time. The holes all line up perfectly and the bearing looks like there is actually some room there where the bearing is not exactly pressed right against the flange. Even if the bearing falls out of the block it should now just rest nicely on the flange. Again, hopefully...

I should also note the the pulley that came with the tail drive set would not set on the shaft. The hole was too wide or some such nonsense. It pressed on to the shaft okay but i was able to easily pull it off. This is no good because the tension from the belt alone would have it lifting off the shaft. I really hade this D hole and pulley for the Walkera version. Lucky for me i had about 3 with grinded up plastic gears. So i pulled the pulley off one and used it with some thread lock. Seems to be tighter than any of the last few i pressed together. The Align version is SO much nicer. The pulley is a single piece instead of sectional, like Walkera's. Plus the Align shaft is not key marked (D shape) it has a round splined surface and you press the pulley on like a pinion. The spline prevents rotation. I was really hopeful it would work.... SO CLOSE! Oh well. Hopefully this was the last of that issue for a long, long time.

Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:12 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Dang biggie. Here i was thinking you'd be getting rusty after your trip to Florida.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:55 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
284 Posts
Here is a smooth flyer.

Timo Wendtland - Logo 800 XXtreme - smooth 3D (6 min 40 sec)

That's how I wan't to fly someday.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:59 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
I'm so pleased!! I got 5 packs through my 450 today and no crash!!
The only downside is that I really feel that the rudder is slow to react to my input... do I need to fiddle with the pots on my RX I wonder... also I have a near constant drift... sometimes rearward other times forward not sure what that is all about - my TX sending no zero info maybe?

Anyway, it flew, it flew pretty well... however, I also to the V120D02S out and flipped the out of it. Got the hang of not overdoing the collective whilst whipping it over and over. I didn't try the same on the V450 -- too tired of seeing that on the bench. The V120 did suffer a stripped servo gear (now replaced with an oomodel replacement set) and a tail D got rounded as I hit TH and then flicked it out again. I have planned to put the clutch on that bird but I'm lazy...

I also got the courage to try a bit of inverted flight and apart from still struggling with the reversed rudder I'm managing ok (not great but not bad). I was enjoying back flipping in and then when I lost my bottle front flipping out... it really made it look like I knew what I was doing! LOL!! Right up to the point where I aver ran the battery and had no lift at full throttle and max neg pitch... luckily the autumn leaves helped soak up some impact damage! 3 or 4 crashes and only one which my being late with TH resulted in a stripped servo ending the flight.

Also took the tricopter out - it's just easy to fly and looks kinda cool, plus it has a good mount for the 808 #16. I crashed it last week and slightly damaged the prop tips so I have jello but for me I can still enjoy the view.

Finally, after all the kids came out and started playing baseball I pulled out my Flexifoil Rage 3.5 and made a maiden flight of it in a gentle 3~4ms wind (7~10mph)... I shall be stiff tomorrow! RC is much easier on the muscles, but not the wallet!

thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:35 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Sweet. I'm eyeballing something new for a flying machine myself. It's a little bit out of the ordinary and thats why i want one! I knew it wouldn't be long before someone did this the RIGHT WAY, with real engineering and know how!! I personally think this thing is awesome and a total technological marvel.

The Ornithopter done right:

TED Robotic "SmartBird" Carbon Fiber- Markus Fischer (6 min 20 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:05 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
Now google rc dragon fly and georgia tech
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:56 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Now google rc dragon fly and georgia tech
Now that is cool. It's interesting it's development was paid for with a military grant.