SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:30 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,115 Posts
This was the best flight from the day. Hopefully the next time will be better with the fixed ESC. All the other flights had the battery alarm going off constantly.

V450D01 - 3D Flight - 11-24-12 (4 min 41 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:27 AM
Semi Expert
iflyhelis's Avatar
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
284 Posts
Nice flight in the wind! I went out yesterday in the wind 10-15 MPH with gusts to 30, I couldn't take anymore & packed it up.

Say I looked at that flange on the tail drive on my bird & I have a gap on both ends, it isn't butted up against the inner race, just a FYI.

Also, my battery time has increased by keeping them in the house & then in my jacket pocket while flying. I am now getting over 6 minutes with the 2200 Mah's & over 9 minutes with the 2500 Mah's but this is all in normal mode, I am sure if I checked it in stunt 1 or 2 it would be drastically reduced.


[QUOTE=IntegrityHndywrk;23356581]This was the best flight from the day. Hopefully the next time will be better with the fixed ESC. All the other flights had the battery alarm going off constantly.
/QUOTE]
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:34 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,115 Posts
[QUOTE=iflyhelis;23357224]Nice flight in the wind! I went out yesterday in the wind 10-15 MPH with gusts to 30, I couldn't take anymore & packed it up.

Say I looked at that flange on the tail drive on my bird & I have a gap on both ends, it isn't butted up against the inner race, just a FYI.

Also, my battery time has increased by keeping them in the house & then in my jacket pocket while flying. I am now getting over 6 minutes with the 2200 Mah's & over 9 minutes with the 2500 Mah's but this is all in normal mode, I am sure if I checked it in stunt 1 or 2 it would be drastically reduced.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
This was the best flight from the day. Hopefully the next time will be better with the fixed ESC. All the other flights had the battery alarm going off constantly.
/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input. I think the cold might be playing a part. It's not cold here though. But it is around 60-70 degrees with high wind chill it could have an accumulative effect in flight with the align gears blowing air around inside there. I don't know. I'll be receiving the new tail drive gear and the Align version of the tail drive gear around Wed. I'll see what happens then. My other v450 does have the flange pressed against the bearing and it's been fine. It's the one that came on the heli, so it could be older than a year for all i know. Since i bought the heli used.

I will see what happens with my flight times now with the new cap installed and the power lead wire fixed and not frayed any longer. Hopefully it stops giving me low volt alarms at the least.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
This was the best flight from the day. Hopefully the next time will be better with the fixed ESC. All the other flights had the battery alarm going off constantly.

http://youtu.be/9rmwB1xvgbM
hey integrity, nice flying! can tell that ur skills on the 450 have been improved ever since u got the gaui x5 =)

does anyone here had their v450 servos upgraded to align's ds410m servos? is it plug n play or is there any settings to be done.....?
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:54 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
hey integrity, nice flying! can tell that ur skills on the 450 have been improved ever since u got the gaui x5 =)

does anyone here had their v450 servos upgraded to align's ds410m servos? is it plug n play or is there any settings to be done.....?
I've got the SAVOX equivalents all round on mine and I needed to flip the reverse switches on my RX2702V to get it to behave. If you have a RX2703H-D then I'm not sure what you can do. Not sure that flipping the +ve and -ve wires on the servos works on digital servos (It might well fry them) - I suspect it might be a reprogramming which is required instead... not sure if there's a way to do that with SAVOX or the ALIGNs.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:40 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
hey integrity, nice flying! can tell that ur skills on the 450 have been improved ever since u got the gaui x5 =)

does anyone here had their v450 servos upgraded to align's ds410m servos? is it plug n play or is there any settings to be done.....?
Thank you, having the v450 finally fly stable with a working 2702V has done lots for my confidence too, but i mainly thank the X5 for giving me a boost in confidance and also making the v450 seem smaller so i am not as nervous with it anymore. Now if i could just get the courage up to do inverted circuits on the X5! I feel like i can do it, i'm just trying to feel the bird out more. I am still playing with DR& expo and things. But soon, i think, pretty soon.

I use the Savox version. They are basically the same as the Align servos, since Savox makes them. But your not going to be able to use the 2703V-D with them. They work in reverse from the Walkera servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I've got the SAVOX equivalents all round on mine and I needed to flip the reverse switches on my RX2702V to get it to behave. If you have a RX2703H-D then I'm not sure what you can do. Not sure that flipping the +ve and -ve wires on the servos works on digital servos (It might well fry them) - I suspect it might be a reprogramming which is required instead... not sure if there's a way to do that with SAVOX or the ALIGNs.
I tried flipping polarity on the 09-9 servos. They fried. Just figured i would try it because of this 2703V-D thing. I can only assume the same might happen with the Savox/Align servos. But maybe not. Never know. I think i tried it with a 4f200 tail servo once and it just spun and spun in one direction. kind of weird.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 26, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:37 AM
Semi Expert
iflyhelis's Avatar
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
284 Posts
The frayed wire is what was killing you, you know broken strands causes smaller AWG less current able to pass. The caps on the ESC are only there to filter out the motor noise to the ESC.

I need to look at my leads to my ESC I do know they are tie-wrapped to the frame for strain relief, but just in case I should inspect them.

About that flange, maybe it is a difference between the D01 & D02 version?

Slightly off subject, Amazon is now collecting State sales tax in Massachusetts (they do sell Walkera V450's) so if it hits here, I'm sure that it will spread Nation wide. That ends my purchases with Amazon. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if all websites will finally bow down to adding sales tax. If that happens, there will be no benefit to purchasing on-line anymore.


[QUOTE=IntegrityHndywrk;23358872]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Nice flight in the wind! I went out yesterday in the wind 10-15 MPH with gusts to 30, I couldn't take anymore & packed it up.

Thanks for the input. I think the cold might be playing a part. It's not cold here though. But it is around 60-70 degrees with high wind chill it could have an accumulative effect in flight with the align gears blowing air around inside there. I don't know. I'll be receiving the new tail drive gear and the Align version of the tail drive gear around Wed. I'll see what happens then. My other v450 does have the flange pressed against the bearing and it's been fine. It's the one that came on the heli, so it could be older than a year for all i know. Since i bought the heli used.

I will see what happens with my flight times now with the new cap installed and the power lead wire fixed and not frayed any longer. Hopefully it stops giving me low volt alarms at the least.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:02 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
...

I tried flipping polarity on the 09-9 servos. They fried.
No loss there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Just figured i would try it because of this 2703V-D thing. I can only assume the same might happen with the Savox/Align servos. But maybe not. Never know. I think i tried it with a 4f200 tail servo once and it just spun and spun in one direction. kind of weird.
Yeah, I'm not trying that with a decent $20+ servo... the WK-09-7/8/9 - yeah - they are already likely to fry even the right way around so once you have some which stripped why not check it out but not on a gear replaceable Savox.
Digital almost certainly needs the power always to be in the same direction unless it's clever on the controller board.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:02 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
The frayed wire is what was killing you, you know broken strands causes smaller AWG less current able to pass. The caps on the ESC are only there to filter out the motor noise to the ESC.

I need to look at my leads to my ESC I do know they are tie-wrapped to the frame for strain relief, but just in case I should inspect them.

About that flange, maybe it is a difference between the D01 & D02 version?

Slightly off subject, Amazon is now collecting State sales tax in Massachusetts (they do sell Walkera V450's) so if it hits here, I'm sure that it will spread Nation wide. That ends my purchases with Amazon. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if all websites will finally bow down to adding sales tax. If that happens, there will be no benefit to purchasing on-line anymore.

What? You don't like laying down and rolling over for our banker controlled bosses? (sarcasm definitely implied, and completely rhetorical)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:04 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
No loss there!!



Yeah, I'm not trying that with a decent $20+ servo... the WK-09-7/8/9 - yeah - they are already likely to fry even the right way around so once you have some which stripped why not check it out but not on a gear replaceable Savox.
Digital almost certainly needs the power always to be in the same direction unless it's clever on the controller board.
Just to be clear, i reversed the motor polarity, not the plug. /shrug. I don't know it should have worked.

Looks like hobbyking.com is down? anyone else getting this? Is it just my DNS or something or is it just gone? I'm getting a 404.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:13 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
HK Down for me too.. DNS is OK though, hitting the webroot redirects to a different page but that fails... probably just someone flicked a switch or pulled out the wrong power cord!!
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:15 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,115 Posts
I was able to access and make my order using a google search for the specific item. 6S 4000 mah turnigy pack. This makes 3 for the gaui. This is honestly killing me right now too. It's probably a good thing i didn't get a 600+ that needs 12S... Can you imagine if i was stuck paying LHS prices for 6S packs? I don't think i could afford to fly...

Anyway, i guess they are working on the indexing arrangement for the site.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:59 AM
Semi Expert
iflyhelis's Avatar
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
284 Posts
The answer is no,

I don't know how they can get away with doing that, when there are still real mail order catalogs that are still in business, & they don't charge a sales tax.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
What? You don't like laying down and rolling over for our banker controlled bosses? (sarcasm definitely implied, and completely rhetorical)
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:13 AM
Semi Expert
iflyhelis's Avatar
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
284 Posts
Are we talking around the $200-250 range for a 12S battery? Just think having 10 batteries @ that price, it would be 2 helicopter kits worth.

Who ever said that electric flight was cheap compared to nitro or gasoline is wrong. The only advantage with electric is you don't need to bring as much support equipment with you to the flying site.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I was able to access and make my order using a google search for the specific item. 6S 4000 mah turnigy pack. This makes 3 for the gaui. This is honestly killing me right now too. It's probably a good thing i didn't get a 600+ that needs 12S... Can you imagine if i was stuck paying LHS prices for 6S packs? I don't think i could afford to fly...

Anyway, i guess they are working on the indexing arrangement for the site.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:54 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Are we talking around the $200-250 range for a 12S battery? Just think having 10 batteries @ that price, it would be 2 helicopter kits worth.

Who ever said that electric flight was cheap compared to nitro or gasoline is wrong. The only advantage with electric is you don't need to bring as much support equipment with you to the flying site.
Well, to be fair. If you did buy the expensive batteries it would be $200+ a flight. But with these turnigy packs its only $55 each so about $110 a flight. I think at that price the cost catches it's self when you consider the price of fuel and free recharges. The question is, will you get more than 50-80 cycles out of a cheap pack? If not, how many will you get out of a $130 pack vs a $55 pack? Because i'm not entirely convinced paying double for a battery is guaranteed to get you more flights. Especially after biggies Hyperion packs puffed. It was super cool that they replaced them though. So that alone might be worth it. But simply can't afford $130 packs.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Walkera 400d or Walkera Brushless Cb100 or Heli max 6 channel heli blueindian Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 07, 2010 08:03 PM
Discussion Walkera 4#6 or Walkera 4#6s? red_storm Micro Helis 8 Jul 07, 2010 12:17 AM
Discussion Upgrade my Walkera 4#3B or just get a Walkera 4#6? tumble2k Micro Helis 7 Mar 26, 2010 07:30 PM
For Sale Walkera 68 & Walkera 36 Parts bretware Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Aug 29, 2009 05:23 PM
Wanted Walkera Lama2 or Walkera 5G6-1 night_life Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Aug 27, 2009 04:20 AM