Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:44 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,164 Posts
ESC and servos

Crashed my V450d01 this weekend after great flying doing 8 packs. It took off and then started to lost control on its own. I didn't crash during all previous flights. I think it be due to cheap servos. Getting tire of stock servos and ESC overheating. Anyone has Blade 450x and how it their stock servos and ESC?
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:14 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Crashed my V450d01 this weekend after great flying doing 8 packs. It took off and then started to lost control on its own. I didn't crash during all previous flights. I think it be due to cheap servos. Getting tire of stock servos and ESC overheating. Anyone has Blade 450x and how it their stock servos and ESC?

If you follow my V450 build log you can upgrade your helicopter with a CopterX motor, Hobbywing Skywalker ESC and Savox servos for under $200 total. As long as your RX is not the reason why you crashed (lock out from rx), after doing those upgrades you should be flying great for a much, much longer time. It would be cheaper then getting a whole new helicoper in my opinion. It's actually most of the reason why i did the build log. Trying to save people time and money.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22809788
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:51 AM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,148 Posts
It sucks everyone crashing..... I did a heli check earlier this week. But i cant help a servo or rx going crazy! I knock on wood and pray while i fly sometimes.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
If you follow my V450 build log you can upgrade your helicopter with a CopterX motor, Hobbywing Skywalker ESC and Savox servos for under $200 total. As long as your RX is not the reason why you crashed (lock out from rx), after doing those upgrades you should be flying great for a much, much longer time. It would be cheaper then getting a whole new helicoper in my opinion. It's actually most of the reason why i did the build log. Trying to save people time and money.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22809788
Great, looking at your build now. You did have to solder and setup right connectors for your HW Skywalker ESC?
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Great, looking at your build now. You did have to solder and setup right connectors for your HW Skywalker ESC?
Yes, i did actually. I ended up using the WIRES with the bullet connectors already on them from my old stock ESC and just extending the existing wires that way. Otherwise you will need to solder on 3mm bullet connectors for the motor wires and your choice in battery plug. So maybe the ESC goes from $12 to $20 after the connectors are added. If you can't solder i'd be happy to help you out with it. But honestly, if you find a LHS they will probably have someone that can do it for you for a few dollars. I know shipping is not cheap. But you could order the parts from helidirect. Have them sent to me and then i can fix it up and send it to you. Otherwise for around $50 (not much more than a walkera ESC) you can get the Hobbywing Platinum ESC. This esc does not run hot at all, unlike the stock one. Even the Skywalker model ESC gets pretty warm. The Platinum version ESC will come with the bullet connectors on the motor wires already. You will just have to solder your choice in battery plug and thats it. But that ends up being double the cost. It is a much nicer ESC though. Both can be easily programmed using your TX.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:23 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,148 Posts
3 more flight s today ...in the wind. Never faded me, im still getting used to my no expo. But the wind is not a big deal anymore, i thank the nano cpx for my better flying. Its a very fun heli, and im able to get in more flights in my back yard. The sim is good but its no real heli. Phoenix sim just added the goblin700 , its fun. Happy flying guys
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:36 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
It sucks everyone crashing..... I did a heli check earlier this week. But i cant help a servo or rx going crazy! I knock on wood and pray while i fly sometimes.
Well. I had another incident today. This one is another one of those "Walkera" moments i think. The rear tail drive gear shaft failed on me AGAIN. This is twice on this heli now. I'm probably assembling them wrong or something. I don't know whats going on here. There is a flanged protrusion on the shaft that holds the shaft from lifting up though the bearing. The plastic gear goes below that and the shaft sits in another bearing below that. The protrusion on the shaft wore off and the shaft lifted. The last time this happened the bearing it holds against fell out rather then this time where the shaft pulled up.

It's probably easier to see then explain. Here is the healthy gear drive assembly. Notice the flanged stopping point on the shaft, below the bearing.

That flange on the shaft is there to keep everything together and tight. It just wore off. This is what mine looks like now:

I did get a few good flights in. Here is the best flight of the day, followed by a very interesting crash caused by this failure. I did a pogo stick landing on the tail. The tail did not bend and the blades did not strike, well, anything. It literally bounced on the tail at an angle! Then landed on the skids. Total damage so far at first glance. Tail rotor shaft and a new tail drive assembly of course. Thats all. Everything else is in one piece. Not even a crack in the canopy or anything. The Fusuno knight head brace, i have no doubt, helped keep the tail strong enough to take 2+ bounces on the end of the boom and not buckle.

Y-V450D01 - 11-20-12 - Flight #2 (4 min 12 sec)

V450D01 tail gear fail and crash (2 min 3 sec)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:46 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,803 Posts
I bet you can't land like that again!
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
gay....really gay.....soooooo gay.......these v450 servos.....r really gay.....!! stopped working during mid flight.....!!! saw it dropping down with the tail spinning....couldn't do anything to save it.....n then it went back normal.....wanted to land it....within 2 seconds...the tail started spinning again!!! arrrrggghghhh!!!!!! n the worst thing is that i've just put on a pair of brand new 3gx blades on it....!!

i'm now ordering the ds520 for the tail rudder and hopeffuly get all the cyclics' changed as well....duh duh duh!!!!
eugenechong is online now Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:04 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,803 Posts
Yeah - the V450D01 cyclics totally suck... I had one just fry in the box... and the MG versions have too much backlash which upsets the gyros...

Savox all the way... (or Align)
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Well. I had another incident today. This one is another one of those "Walkera" moments i think. The rear tail drive gear shaft failed on me AGAIN. This is twice on this heli now. I'm probably assembling them wrong or something. I don't know whats going on here. There is a flanged protrusion on the shaft that holds the shaft from lifting up though the bearing. The plastic gear goes below that and the shaft sits in another bearing below that. The protrusion on the shaft wore off and the shaft lifted. The last time this happened the bearing it holds against fell out rather then this time where the shaft pulled up.

It's probably easier to see then explain. Here is the healthy gear drive assembly. Notice the flanged stopping point on the shaft, below the bearing.

That flange on the shaft is there to keep everything together and tight. It just wore off. This is what mine looks like now:

I did get a few good flights in. Here is the best flight of the day, followed by a very interesting crash caused by this failure. I did a pogo stick landing on the tail. The tail did not bend and the blades did not strike, well, anything. It literally bounced on the tail at an angle! Then landed on the skids. Total damage so far at first glance. Tail rotor shaft and a new tail drive assembly of course. Thats all. Everything else is in one piece. Not even a crack in the canopy or anything. The Fusuno knight head brace, i have no doubt, helped keep the tail strong enough to take 2+ bounces on the end of the boom and not buckle.

http://youtu.be/fkt_yO8lmh0

http://youtu.be/_jTLPOI61ps
Hi, any possibility to try the align one ? Already fully assembled and better made ? I don't know if the theeth are the same btw

Align H45099T
lordw0rm is offline Find More Posts by lordw0rm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:52 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
[QUOTE=IntegrityHndywrk;23322495]Well. I had another incident today.QUOTE]

There has got to be some difference between a version 1 V450 & a version 2.

You know for that flange to wear like that, it means it is rubbing on a stationary object but where it makes contact should be spinning at the same speed, unless the bearing seized up.

How many flight do you have on that bird?

I haven't seen servo problems, other than all of them were a little loose after 30 flights. I have been keeping a eye on the tail drive for bearings shedding metal, but none yet.

Yesterday I got in two abbreviated flights due to my battery alarm going off (set at 3.6 volts) after 2-3 minutes just hovering around in normal mode. I look at the voltage readout & it says 3.8-3.9 volts weird! Only thing I can think that caused it was it was 45 degrees out & the batteries were cold.

So, I go home & charge them, the 2500 Mah took around 991 Mah & the 2200 Mah took 1171 Mah. so I had plenty of capacity left, but I was not going to chance a crash. Either my flying season is now over or I need to store my batteries in a warm house & out of my unheated garage.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:30 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordw0rm View Post
Hi, any possibility to try the align one ? Already fully assembled and better made ? I don't know if the theeth are the same btw

Align H45099T
I was looking for the Align version. But they have moved on from this design to the V2/V3, whatever. I couldn't find the right part in stock anywhere. Well, thats because none of the places i was looking carry this part. With your part number i did a google search for it and it looks like it should work. The Walkera mechanics are essentially early version Align cloned parts. So the gear teeth should be the same since the main gear and AR gear teeth are the same. It's just this Align part does not come with the Aluminum mounting bracket. But it looks like i could press that bearing into my Walkera one and this might work. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post

There has got to be some difference between a version 1 V450 & a version 2.

You know for that flange to wear like that, it means it is rubbing on a stationary object but where it makes contact should be spinning at the same speed, unless the bearing seized up.

How many flight do you have on that bird?

I haven't seen servo problems, other than all of them were a little loose after 30 flights. I have been keeping a eye on the tail drive for bearings shedding metal, but none yet.

Yesterday I got in two abbreviated flights due to my battery alarm going off (set at 3.6 volts) after 2-3 minutes just hovering around in normal mode. I look at the voltage readout & it says 3.8-3.9 volts weird! Only thing I can think that caused it was it was 45 degrees out & the batteries were cold.

So, I go home & charge them, the 2500 Mah took around 991 Mah & the 2200 Mah took 1171 Mah. so I had plenty of capacity left, but I was not going to chance a crash. Either my flying season is now over or I need to store my batteries in a warm house & out of my unheated garage.
There are quite a few differences between the V1 and V2 450. But it's essentially the same electronics with a new motor. I hope the new purple motors don't have aluminum shafts too. (I know they are not aluminum. But they might as well be)

I have all of maybe 8 flights on the V450 that had the failure. What your saying about the flange on the shaft is exactly my assumption too. But the bearings are all brand new. Don't forget i build this heli a few months back and never flew it. At one point in the test hovering of this heli the same part failed. This leads me to believe i assembled it incorrectly or with too much force and damaged the flange. All i can do at this point is replace it and take better care during the pressing and assembly of the pulley onto the shaft and all that kind of stuff. Maybe i just pressed too hard and the flange was damaged.

You need to keep your batteries above 50F for operation. Store them between 37-68 based on Hyperion's storage suggestions.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 22, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:48 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
I just installed a new CF frame where mine was split and all sloppy. It didn't remove the tail vibration and the funny noise on the main rotor. So for the hell of it, i double checked the pitch and removed the blades and weighed them. There was a difference of 0.02g between the two. Not even close to enough difference to cause this kind of vibration. This is the second time i've been though this now with these blades. I put it all back together and checked the tail again. Then checked over the rest of the heli. Nothing looked out of place. I went out to spool up in my driveway and the vibe starts to appear rather quickly. So by now i'm pulling my hair out on this. I went inside and removed the Pro 3D CF blades and installed the blue Align CF blades off my other 450. Went outside and the Align blades were right on track, no noise, and no vibe. Was running true...

So I'm confused on whats going on here. I guess the problem might be blade weight CG? If it's a tracking issue, one blade is messed up or something because they are both set with a digital pitch gauge and double checked with my eye. This is my first set of screwy Pro 3D blades.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
I was looking for the Align version. But they have moved on from this design to the V2/V3, whatever. I couldn't find the right part in stock anywhere. Well, thats because none of the places i was looking carry this part. With your part number i did a google search for it and it looks like it should work. The Walkera mechanics are essentially early version Align cloned parts. So the gear teeth should be the same since the main gear and AR gear teeth are the same. It's just this Align part does not come with the Aluminum mounting bracket. But it looks like i could press that bearing into my Walkera one and this might work. Thank you for the suggestion.

Please let me know I'm interested if also this parts is compatible and better made.
Ps: I'm waiting also for your info about main shaft and dfc rotor head
lordw0rm is offline Find More Posts by lordw0rm