SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
thank you very much for sharing your thoughts integrity. i would love to get a gaui x5 to be honest. i'm not a super big fan for any brand. the reason why i keep getting the align is because the supplier that i m dealing with is giving very good price on all align products. 29% off the listed price on the align website, which i couldnt find any better deal on any website.....
My Pleasure. I have nothing bad to say about the Gaui after about 15 flights it's holding up pretty good. It's really quite a beast. The only things i can nit pick on the X5, Gaui has actually already addressed or are working on currently. So i may not have gotten the CNC Tail grips in my kit. But they are available now as a upgrade. There are also now more rigid plastic skids available too. So the heli, in my opinion is as close to perfect as i think i'm ever going to see in this hobby. Not that Align is bad either though. The Align pricing your getting is pretty nice. There is parts availability to consider too. I think the Gaui parts are cheap and in some cases are cheaper than my Walkera repairs. But they come and go in waves as Gaui develops new heli and focuses production output on particular things, other things suffer in availability for a bit. I guess the same is true with Align parts as well. Especially with that kind of discount it's a good deal! Which ever you get, i wish you the best of luck with it. I'm sure you will enjoy either one.

It's been nearly a week since i could fly. Since my cousin got hit on his motorcycle i've been picking up a lot of slack and stopping by the hospital a lot after working too. So with the sun basically being worthless by 4:30ish i'm probably only going to be able to fly on the weekends. But here is my last X5 video. You can see how the pirouettes are nice and effortless. The heli just sits. With the 450 and 2702V the heli wobbles when you piro.

Gaui X5 - 3D Flight #14 - Tick Tocks and Piros - 11-10-12 (7 min 4 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:33 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
.... But here is my last X5 video. You can see how the pirouettes are nice and effortless. The heli just sits. With the 450 and 2702V the heli wobbles when you piro.

http://youtu.be/q5ZB_t16RDg
I thought it was me that had a wobbly V450D01 piro but if you have it and others too, I guess I can go a bit easier on myself!

I tested the 3GX piro and I definitely felt it was better than the Walkera stuff. Though I did get the V200D03 to piro twice? 3 times? in a row before it got out of shape but I think it's because the tail is oversized and it can piro at a stupidly fast rate. I need more tuning on that though as at the moment it will not flip. Totally threw me the first time I tried. The Master CP goes straight over, no fight, but the V200D03 was fighting me as soon as I got vertical. Which was the same as my first ever attempt which I had to roll out of.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:24 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
The 2702V-D was also to match the Devo line - so that they could sell the Old V450D01 with a D8/10 and not have you complain about having to buy WK when it was already obsolete. I don't know which it was actually developed for but since it's only the -D which was added I guess internally the V and V-D versions are identical, just D version has longer antennas.

The 3GX can be programmed via PC or directly. It's not as easy to program directly as there are way more options than on the RX2702V-D but actually, once you get your head around what you're doing (and if you can see which LEDs are flashing at you during the setup) then it's not that bad either. After the 5th run through you should be getting the hang of it. I just got my Align Trex 250 Pro DFC to fly and compared to the V200D03 it's ultra reactive - not sure how a V450D01 with 3GX would be but I think the sticks would feel waaaaaay more connected to the heli. If I suddenly get a week of free time I guess I could try it!!
Sounds basically like the BeastX. That is a single button and you use the rudder control and the LEDs to make settings. Pretty easy once you know how. I just made my install of the TM1000 finally, after having it delayed at the initial build because of burn out. It's pretty cool and the DX8 can calculate my head speed and everything. I can't wait to bring it out to the field and give it a flight. PLUS! My new battery arrived to break in too.

Reinstall of New TM1000 Telemetry Module
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:38 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
Quote:
Sounds basically like the BeastX. That is a single button and you use the rudder control and the LEDs to make settings. Pretty easy once you know how. I just made my install of the TM1000 finally, after having it delayed at the initial build because of burn out. It's pretty cool and the DX8 can calculate my head speed and everything. I can't wait to bring it out to the field and give it a flight. PLUS! My new battery arrived to break in too.

Reinstall of New TM1000 Telemetry Module
Yeah - maybe until you get the hang of it a few simple cheat sheets of note would be useful. I shall try to fly it more next weekend - 3 days! Ye-i! and let you all know how I get on.

I replaced the motor in the V450 after the shaft failure and semi successful AR with one of these http://www.justgofly.com/tech_450TH.htm
running a 10T pinion for the moment (but I do have 11, 12, 13, 14 if I need) and the only damage other than that was the bloody expensive swash follower at almost $15 a pop... grr!
Canopy just fixed with ShoeGo... which is maybe a bit on the heavy side but I think the motor is now lighter... anyway, it hovered like a charm. I have a bit of a wobble at spool up though so I need to go and check the blades for balance again I guess...
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:21 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
284 Posts
So I finally got my new Devo 10 TX back from HK 3 days ago, I open the package to find that the "Gear Switch" handle is snapped off. It looks like it is in the on position & I tried to put a ball point pen in there to flick it to off, but it seems jammed.

I will need to look at my setup & see if that position is going to affect any of the other functions.

I contacted my long distance local hobby shop Helipal & they said they wanted pictures, which I did & e-mailed them. Now they say they will replace the switch when I place a order with them & they will include it with the order.

I may take the TX apart & grab one of the other two position switches & replace it.

But if it isn't bothering my setup why bother, although I know it is tied into aux2 for my gyro but I have my gyro controlled by my flight control switch "Normal/Stunt1/stunt2.

I still have not flown my V450 as I had to change a lot of setting on the model they put in there for the TX like they inhibited throttle hold & pitch/throttle curves were off. So maybe today I'll get to try it out.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Last edited by iflyhelis; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
I thought it was me that had a wobbly V450D01 piro but if you have it and others too, I guess I can go a bit easier on myself!

I tested the 3GX piro and I definitely felt it was better than the Walkera stuff. Though I did get the V200D03 to piro twice? 3 times? in a row before it got out of shape but I think it's because the tail is oversized and it can piro at a stupidly fast rate. I need more tuning on that though as at the moment it will not flip. Totally threw me the first time I tried. The Master CP goes straight over, no fight, but the V200D03 was fighting me as soon as I got vertical. Which was the same as my first ever attempt which I had to roll out of.
I totally agree on that point. The 3gx does perform better in piros.....how ever, the new 6-axis gyro I have on my v450 does perform it well too.... So it is really hard to compare it as my 250 dfc is smaller compare to 450.....

I will bite the bullet n get the 550e dfc.....I will update it here once I got it....will b 2-3 weeks as it takes forever to clear the customs here..... )
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:40 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,137 Posts
Quote:

The best i can tell you on the v450 is to make sure your CG with your battery is perfect. Then your piros will be less wobbly. Maybe. On the v200 you will probably need to turn the cyclic extension up to get the rotation speed up. It's probably flipping like a tank. The cyclic probably feels good too until you flip. This has been an issue with my 4f200 also. I ended up with the cyclic ext pot turned all the way up, just a hair back actually. The problem is the sticks will be VERY sensitive. You'll have to find your own common ground. But what i did was turn the expo up to 100% and keep the pots at full. It dumbs them down a little. You can lower the dual rates to adjust travel speeds and dumb it down more till you find your sweet spot. Since the 4f200 has a 3 blade rotor you may not need to turn the ext pot all the way up. But i kind of did to get the fast flips in there. I just received my parts to get my 4f200 back in the air yesterday. I just have not had the time because the Telemetry install i did on the X5 last night took priority.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,137 Posts
SO, the new Goblin was unveiled and it's pretty SICK. It's almost a 800 size and it looks like they may have addressed the tail clearance, by adding some additional room for clearance of the rotor. This is thing pretty cool looking and everything. If i was going to get a 800 size, this would probably be the one. But honestly Goblin is far to complex a build/repair. It's a very good machine with very intricate working parts compared to others. It might be nice having a belt drive main gear system. But over all i don't know how i would like the trade off of not having a physical main gear. Ah, well i can't afford it ever anyway. But i can dream and post about it so others can dream too.

AHS 2012 Goblin 770, Bert Kammerer (4 min 4 sec)

Okay, who thinks i'll be flying like this before long? I just want to know who is going to bet against me so i can say i told you so later
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
well i headed straight to the field after work. heres one flight

walkera v450 align trex 600 transfer 1 (11 min 54 sec)
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
well i headed straight to the field after work. heres one flight

http://youtu.be/WAtaWjfJCdU
Nice flights man. I wish i had the calm air you have there. Today it was like blow your hat off, look out for falling crap from the trees and just go inside already because it's 50 degrees with 100% humidity. At least it's not freezing i suppose. But it would be nice for the wind to give me a break every once in a while.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Quote:
SO, the new Goblin was unveiled and it's pretty SICK. It's almost a 800 size and it looks like they may have addressed the tail clearance, by adding some additional room for clearance of the rotor. This is thing pretty cool looking and everything. If i was going to get a 800 size, this would probably be the one. But honestly Goblin is far to complex a build/repair. It's a very good machine with very intricate working parts compared to others. It might be nice having a belt drive main gear system. But over all i don't know how i would like the trade off of not having a physical main gear. Ah, well i can't afford it ever anyway. But i can dream and post about it so others can dream too.

http://youtu.be/nzh9bFAg2-o

Okay, who thinks i'll be flying like this before long? I just want to know who is going to bet against me so i can say i told you so later
Thats good flying. Amazing how confident he is getting so close to the ground and not worrying about clipping a blade
I saw one of those crash out at my flying field sad sad sad
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Thats good flying. Amazing how confident he is getting so close to the ground and not worrying about clipping a blade
I saw one of those crash out at my flying field sad sad sad
Yeah, he actually did hit the ground once if you watch the video again. The Goblin is nice but it has some cosmetic issues and costs i would rather not deal with i think. But the new canopy looks like they addressed the way the canopy mounts and everything. So maybe it will flex a little more now and not crack in the corners when you have to split the back of the canopy to fit it around the rotor head when changing batteries, etc. The ONLY other "pro" or "hobby" grade heli flier in my little town, that i know of anyway, flies a 700 Goblin. It's really nice and the internal working and gears look pretty nice. I especially like the short distance between the servo and the swash and how the servos are mounted. It's very nice. It's also very expensive in a crash and cosmetically i just can't afford those canopies and tail booms. The Canopy is $100 and the tail boom is about $80. The CF landing skids are only $16 though.

But if i were a richer man. Otherwise the Gaui X7 will be my 700 class heli, IF i ever move into that size. It's just a little bit to costly no matter what brand it is. The blades and things in a crash are just painful and I'm too impatient to let my heli sit around broken so i'd end up having the power turned off or something at some point
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/nzh9bFAg2-o

I really don't understand why there are so many high end manufacturers around who only makes 600 sized helis or above.Contrast with the very few who make submicro CPs. The demand for this high end stuff must be very high indeed. I have actually seen quite a lot of them around in Hong Kong.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:11 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I really don't understand why there are so many high end manufacturers around who only makes 600 sized helis or above.Contrast with the very few who make submicro CPs. The demand for this high end stuff must be very high indeed. I have actually seen quite a lot of them around in Hong Kong.
Yeah, well they did release the 500 size too. I was hoping they would go into a 450 and 250-300 size. I would definitely buy a 250-300 size goblin and if they scaled the current mechanics and body down to that size it would probably be a highly anticipated and in demand heli. I don't know about a 450 size, it would be cool. But honestly for the cost attached to something like a Goblin 450, it would probably just be about the same price to get the 500 or 630 size. But really, how cool would it be to have a little 250 size goblin?? I think we need to start spurring SAB on this.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:08 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, well they did release the 500 size too. I was hoping they would go into a 450 and 250-300 size. I would definitely buy a 250-300 size goblin and if they scaled the current mechanics and body down to that size it would probably be a highly anticipated and in demand heli. I don't know about a 450 size, it would be cool. But honestly for the cost attached to something like a Goblin 450, it would probably just be about the same price to get the 500 or 630 size. But really, how cool would it be to have a little 250 size goblin?? I think we need to start spurring SAB on this.
It seems that SAB is the high end brand at the moment but this seems to rotate rapidly. Henseleit, Kasama, Synergy and others have certainly held this title before. What you usually get is the same people buying at least one from every brand but rarely fly them. Here is another rarely heard off high end brand: Shape S8 (800 sized)

Nico Niewind + Shape S8 Helicopter Prototyp @ Schlierbacher Indoor Meeting 2011 (4 min 41 sec)
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw