HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:27 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Twice a year my old Club field would hire someone to brushog the tall weeds, & our grass field would be cut twice a week.

So when you join, suggest that they get it cut once in a while, tell them it is easier to find the aircraft & scattered parts.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:15 AM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
I have a pay to fly field within 8 miles from me, but i fly in front of my street. At my kids school. Or at the church next door, the school is kinda new and the just started building me a football field to fly at, i say building me cause its a private school and i pay alot for my kids to goto school there lol. And fly! If the heli is going to die in the sky , its gonna drop like a brick , not go over to the movie theater and then drop! But it is better to be safe, but im not paying 70 bucks field fee when i can do my hobby for free. Its kinda my alone time anyway!
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,344 Posts
I will probably pay it eventually. It just rubbed me the wrong way to call it a safety issue when it's obviously far more safe to let me fly there then to have me go fly somewhere else. One REALLY important caveat would be that even if you are AMA registered and crash your heli. If your not on the grounds of a AMA registered flying site. You will not be covered for personal injury or property damage. So as i research, i really am starting to feel like it's all going to be one big waste of my money. We'll see what happens. IF I JOIN their club there will have to be a new area set aside and i will have to work to get more heli members.I have plenty of places to fly until then.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 20, 2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:26 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,344 Posts
V450D01 - If you don't have AMA go to the movies - 11-03-12 (5 min 15 sec)
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,344 Posts
I had one hell of a 3 day weekend! MANY flights on the v450 while waiting for my X5's one and only pack to charge. I brought my charger with me and charged in between flights. I probably put over 20 flights on the v450 in 3 days. Since owning the X5, even only having 8 flights so far. I can tell my overall confidence is much higher and my skill, i believe is improved. I'll call it the "Gaui effect". It's already made me a better pilot.

V450D01 - Tick-Tocks - 11-04-12 (5 min 25 sec)

Although i did have 3 incidents where the motor dropped out for only a second on the v450. REALLY got the heart pumping. Later on i discovered that one of the antenna wires was stripped too deeply and the wire was cut. So the exposed antenna was really only a few strands holding it on there. I cut the wire off at the fray and measured and stripped another section of the wire, the same length as the one i just cut off. I've flown another 3 flights with it like this and had no problem. I don't know if it's related to my rpm dropout incidents or not. I am not using Fixed ID bind with this unit yet.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Well I finally got my TX packaged up & sent off to my long distance LHS in Hong Kong. Damn TX weighs 1 pound, box weighs 2 LBS. Cost me $25.00 to send it out. I not sure it was worth the time & effort. I should have just bought a new TX & said screw my Long Distance LHS.

I will probably not be flying for at least 2 weeks till this comes back to me as a new TX. The ? is will I really trust it again?

I just found out now that any new Devo 10 is coming with the RX2810 10 channels not nine on the RX2703H-D plus it is using 2 antennas not like the one one the 2703.

In the next couple of days I will be getting the parts for my 2-stroke (gas monster with the 5 foot rotor span heli) carburetor. I will be flying that again, I think the heli is more solid plus all of the other items in it. Plus it is cheap to fly!
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:48 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Well I finally got my TX packaged up & sent off to my long distance LHS in Hong Kong. Damn TX weighs 1 pound, box weighs 2 LBS. Cost me $25.00 to send it out. I not sure it was worth the time & effort. I should have just bought a new TX & said screw my Long Distance LHS.

I will probably not be flying for at least 2 weeks till this comes back to me as a new TX. The ? is will I really trust it again?

I just found out now that any new Devo 10 is coming with the RX2810 10 channels not nine on the RX2703H-D plus it is using 2 antennas not like the one one the 2703.

In the next couple of days I will be getting the parts for my 2-stroke (gas monster with the 5 foot rotor span heli) carburetor. I will be flying that again, I think the heli is more solid plus all of the other items in it. Plus it is cheap to fly!
It sucks we have to learn like this. I feel the same way. I don't feel i can ever trust the 2702V again. The revised 2702V with the long antenna wires has glitched 3 times on me. I don't know if it's a glitch, because i am not using my capacitor at the moment, it's possible. Or if it's the signal dropping out. I'd think if the signal dropped it would unbind since i'm not using ID bind. But 3 times the heli had a momentary drop in rpms and loss of response. Only for a second, then it picked back up and was fine. The scary part, and the part that makes it think it's signal is that each time it happens when the heli was approximatively over head. I know from our conversations, that you understand the antenna arrangement. I'm thinking when it's over head with my TX antenna pointed straight up it could be loosing it. The antanna on my Tx moves around between flights and i handle the TX. But it's never straight out. I just happened to notice this last "stall out" that the antenna was in the vertical position. So perhaps that is it. I'm going to install my "Glitch buster" capacitor again. Because it could have been the wind pressure on the servos causing a momentary spike or something too. Each time i was inverted and mid arch on a loop.

Good for you on getting your gas running. You'll enjoy it more i think and i know you'll see it better. If you do decide to venture into Electrics again. I can't say enough good about the X5. It does have some small problems and things that i don't like. Like plastic tail blade grips and some other things. But they are working on it and you can see progress and changes. The heli is expensive but i promise you will love it. The truth is your paying for the GOOD electronics upfront so you don't have repair bills for no reason later. Once the initial investment is made, parts are CHEAP. Some what cheaper than Walkera in some cases when i look at the REPAIR cost on the V500 or V18G01 it's absurd!!! The freaking main gear costs $30 and is only available as the WHOLE AR/owb/gear assembly. So it's a FREAKING expensive main gar. The Gaui you get 2 main gears for about $10. 2 tail booms for about $10, seriously. Go price repair parts on any brand. Gaui parts are not so bad. My LHS has a airframe he wants to sell me from his X5. I'm thinking about doing it just for the spare parts. When you think about a guy selling a X5 airframe used for $200 then think of how much you paid for your v450. It should make you angry... But when you find out that the rest of the electronics for it will cost you well over or around $600. That is when your jaw will hit the floor and you haven't even bought a RX for it yet. Thats another $100 right there. But hopefully it won't crash on you unless it's your fault and the equipment will perform as intended. As far as TX goes. I also cannot say enough good about the DX8. The sticks are super nice. They are pretty tight compared to my 2801. But the main problem is getting used to the Throttle cut and idel up switches. WELL GOOD NEWS!! I found in the system menu not that long ago that you can flip the assignment of the IU and TH switches. So you can make it just like our WK configuration though the UI. No swapping switches or reprogramming muscle memory. But i think only the DX8 does it like this. It's a very expensive TX but i honesly feel like if i take care of it, it will last me for a few years to come. The switches are a little easy to flip. Which can be good or bad depending on opinion and how big/strong your hands are. I have no doubt this combo of heli/tx/rx will keep me in the air without fail for a long time to come. Though i will continue to use my 2801-pro for now on my v450. Soon i will be getting a AR7200BX for it. This should bring in a whole new level of flight stability and reassurance against these RX issues. It was scary having the 2702V go non responsive for a second. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:14 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Good luck on new tx......
Today my alerion was very sluggish, seemed to roll very slow also. But all i did yesterday is take all expo out of ele. Do we think its time to remove the expo on alerion also?
My new cherger is rocking, when i get all my battery connections the same i will be able to charge 6 450 batteries at once!
I cant find a charge rating on my blue lipos, or i might be able to charge them faster. Not being limited to 50 watts is great , Im at 350 now. I love this hobby!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:24 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Good luck on new tx......
Today my alerion was very sluggish, seemed to roll very slow also. But all i did yesterday is take all expo out of ele. Do we think its time to remove the expo on alerion also?
My new cherger is rocking, when i get all my battery connections the same i will be able to charge 6 450 batteries at once!
I cant find a charge rating on my blue lipos, or i might be able to charge them faster. Not being limited to 50 watts is great , Im at 350 now. I love this hobby!
Yeah the $100 i spent on a 200 watt 4 channel charger is one of the main reasons i can fly so many times in a day. If i stick 2 3S 2200 mAh packs on each channel it will charge 8 packs in about an hour & a half or under at 1C. By 6S 4000 mAh packs take about 2+ hours to charge. For whatever reason it won't crank up to 4A charging even though it's supposed to be capable of 6A charging a 6S pack. Oh well. I could still charge 4 of them, one on each channel or i could para 2 packs and do 2 on each channel. It would probably take about 4-5 hours to charge all 8 6S packs if i could get the honest 6A out of it for the first 3/4 of the charge time. Because 2 6S packs para'ed would be like a 8000 mAh pack. It's just starting to look like i need a new charger.

BTW, The $48 6S 4000 mAh 30-40C Turnigy pack is running good in the X5 after 10 flights total. I got about a 7.5-8 minute flight today and the pack was at an even 3.7v on the dot for each cell. So not too bad. I'd prefer not to go so far, but i am kind of testing the pack out to see if it's worth buying more or not. I can buy like 3 of these things for the price of one Hyperion pack. But the warranty is not as good, i suppose and i already know they won't last as long. But so far so good. They seem to hold out okay in the 450. Even though i've had to toss so many, you can't beat the price.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:09 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Your glitches:
Turn your TX antenna to the horizontal position & I think you won't see it glitch again. Because the heli will most likely never see the tip of the antenna again.

What is that capacitor hooked up to & what was it supposed to fix? I know on my RC electric car/truck motors we would put two capacitors one on each power lead to eliminate interference from the motors. If that is what you are doing, you shouldn't need to as your ESC already has those.

I am looking forward to flying my gas heli again, but I have a lot of items I need to look at like all the bearings to see if they didn't rust while in storage. If they rusted & I had to replace all of them (129) it wouldn't be worth trying to fly it again.

You were saying that having some of the parts on your X5 being made of plastic didn't make you happy, just think of the price difference for replacements. Also, I am sure someone makes upgrades if you want to bling it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
It sucks we have to learn like this. I feel the same way. I don't feel i can ever trust the 2702V again. The revised 2702V with the long antenna wires has glitched 3 times on me. I don't know if it's a glitch, because i am not using my capacitor at the moment, it's possible. Or if it's the signal dropping out. I'd think if the signal dropped it would unbind since i'm not using ID bind. But 3 times the heli had a momentary drop in rpms and loss of response. Only for a second, then it picked back up and was fine. The scary part, and the part that makes it think it's signal is that each time it happens when the heli was approximatively over head. I know from our conversations, that you understand the antenna arrangement. I'm thinking when it's over head with my TX antenna pointed straight up it could be loosing it. The antanna on my Tx moves around between flights and i handle the TX. But it's never straight out. I just happened to notice this last "stall out" that the antenna was in the vertical position. So perhaps that is it. I'm going to install my "Glitch buster" capacitor again. Because it could have been the wind pressure on the servos causing a momentary spike or something too. Each time i was inverted and mid arch on a loop.

Good for you on getting your gas running. You'll enjoy it more i think and i know you'll see it better. If you do decide to venture into Electrics again. I can't say enough good about the X5. It does have some small problems and things that i don't like. Like plastic tail blade grips and some other things. But they are working on it and you can see progress and changes. The heli is expensive but i promise you will love it. The truth is your paying for the GOOD electronics upfront so you don't have repair bills for no reason later. Once the initial investment is made, parts are CHEAP. Some what cheaper than Walkera in some cases when i look at the REPAIR cost on the V500 or V18G01 it's absurd!!! The freaking main gear costs $30 and is only available as the WHOLE AR/owb/gear assembly. So it's a FREAKING expensive main gar. The Gaui you get 2 main gears for about $10. 2 tail booms for about $10, seriously. Go price repair parts on any brand. Gaui parts are not so bad. My LHS has a airframe he wants to sell me from his X5. I'm thinking about doing it just for the spare parts. When you think about a guy selling a X5 airframe used for $200 then think of how much you paid for your v450. It should make you angry... But when you find out that the rest of the electronics for it will cost you well over or around $600. That is when your jaw will hit the floor and you haven't even bought a RX for it yet. Thats another $100 right there. But hopefully it won't crash on you unless it's your fault and the equipment will perform as intended. As far as TX goes. I also cannot say enough good about the DX8. The sticks are super nice. They are pretty tight compared to my 2801. But the main problem is getting used to the Throttle cut and idel up switches. WELL GOOD NEWS!! I found in the system menu not that long ago that you can flip the assignment of the IU and TH switches. So you can make it just like our WK configuration though the UI. No swapping switches or reprogramming muscle memory. But i think only the DX8 does it like this. It's a very expensive TX but i honesly feel like if i take care of it, it will last me for a few years to come. The switches are a little easy to flip. Which can be good or bad depending on opinion and how big/strong your hands are. I have no doubt this combo of heli/tx/rx will keep me in the air without fail for a long time to come. Though i will continue to use my 2801-pro for now on my v450. Soon i will be getting a AR7200BX for it. This should bring in a whole new level of flight stability and reassurance against these RX issues. It was scary having the 2702V go non responsive for a second. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:32 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Deleted

Quote:
Yeah the $100 i spent on a 200 watt 4 channel charger is one of the main reasons i can fly so many times in a day. If i stick 2 3S 2200 mAh packs on each channel it will charge 8 packs in about an hour & a half or under at 1C. By 6S 4000 mAh packs take about 2+ hours to charge. For whatever reason it won't crank up to 4A charging even though it's supposed to be capable of 6A charging a 6S pack. Oh well. I could still charge 4 of them, one on each channel or i could para 2 packs and do 2 on each channel. It would probably take about 4-5 hours to charge all 8 6S packs if i could get the honest 6A out of it for the first 3/4 of the charge time. Because 2 6S packs para'ed would be like a 8000 mAh pack. It's just starting to look like i need a new charger.

BTW, The $48 6S 4000 mAh 30-40C Turnigy pack is running good in the X5 after 10 flights total. I got about a 7.5-8 minute flight today and the pack was at an even 3.7v on the dot for each cell. So not too bad. I'd prefer not to go so far, but i am kind of testing the pack out to see if it's worth buying more or not. I can buy like 3 of these things for the price of one Hyperion pack. But the warranty is not as good, i suppose and i already know they won't last as long. But so far so good. They seem to hold out okay in the 450. Even though i've had to toss so many, you can't beat the price.
Last edited by iflyhelis; Nov 06, 2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Deleted due to error
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:50 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Your glitches:
Turn your TX antenna to the horizontal position & I think you won't see it glitch again. Because the heli will most likely never see the tip of the antenna again.

What is that capacitor hooked up to & what was it supposed to fix? I know on my RC electric car/truck motors we would put two capacitors one on each power lead to eliminate interference from the motors. If that is what you are doing, you shouldn't need to as your ESC already has those.

I am looking forward to flying my gas heli again, but I have a lot of items I need to look at like all the bearings to see if they didn't rust while in storage. If they rusted & I had to replace all of them (129) it wouldn't be worth trying to fly it again.

You were saying that having some of the parts on your X5 being made of plastic didn't make you happy, just think of the price difference for replacements. Also, I am sure someone makes upgrades if you want to bling it out.
I don't know about that "filtering", but the theory is to keep the voltage nominal in the servo circuit. I was pretty sure that since none of my other heli ever locked out like the 2702V. The servos were the cause, drawing too much power and browning out the RX. This might not be the case. But as resistance is put on the servos, amperage draw is increased from the servos. The cap keeps things leveled out, hopefully. It's connected to the "gear" port on the RX. I previously had the same problem with my 4f200 where a servo was browning out my RX. It ended up being stripped but still functioned properly and didn't make any noises. But slipped in the air. The cap actually kept it from browning out, then one day i picked the heli up by the rotor head and felt a linkage move real funny. Thats when i realized the servo was stripped. But since installing the cap it stopped locking out. Later i installed a better ESC, but i still keep the cap on there because those servos do that. I've stripped them in the air before so it's helped, i think. Could all be in my head.

It sure is a piece of crap if the heli looses signal 30 feet in front of me and 30 feet above me just because of antenna orientation, isn't it? Especially with those long antennas added and only being a 450 size with holes punched in CF airframe everywhere. I can't see how it could have a shadow. But apparently, i still does. Maybe.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:47 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
I think its the tx. Cause now you have swapped everything but the tx. Maybe a new rx for your new tx and put it in the v450.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:16 PM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Try as a trial & put a separate battery in there to power your RX & servos. You can do it with the 2702, it has a separate battery port, mine doesn't.

Forget the capacitor, it can't store enough energy to last out a one second glitch!

Those long antennas, are just to place them in a different area other than right next to the RX. They do not increase the reception range just because they are longer. They are just extensions that have been shielded up to the point of their emergence from the shielding. It was to get them out of the Carbon Fiber Area.

You know the glitch you were talking about, well I have had that kind of "slow-down" in head speed before. I realized it was all because of my throttle curve, I don't have a governor like you do, but I know I made a mistake with my throttle curve. In normal mode when I dropped the collective/throttle the head speed dropped so low I thought the heli was going to just drop out of the sky. But after tweaking that curve, I eliminated that problem.

Good news from my long distance local hobby shop: after I told them I shipped the TX on Monday but for the cheap price of sending it, there are zero for tracking info, plus I sent them 2 pictures of the circuit board I picked out as the culprit. They are sending me a new Devo 10 with a model plugged into it for my heli, plus a new set of landing skids & a canopy. I waiting for the tracking number now..........

Quote:
I don't know about that "filtering", but the theory is to keep the voltage nominal in the servo circuit. I was pretty sure that since none of my other heli ever locked out like the 2702V. The servos were the cause, drawing too much power and browning out the RX. This might not be the case. But as resistance is put on the servos, amperage draw is increased from the servos. The cap keeps things leveled out, hopefully. It's connected to the "gear" port on the RX. I previously had the same problem with my 4f200 where a servo was browning out my RX. It ended up being stripped but still functioned properly and didn't make any noises. But slipped in the air. The cap actually kept it from browning out, then one day i picked the heli up by the rotor head and felt a linkage move real funny. Thats when i realized the servo was stripped. But since installing the cap it stopped locking out. Later i installed a better ESC, but i still keep the cap on there because those servos do that. I've stripped them in the air before so it's helped, i think. Could all be in my head.

It sure is a piece of crap if the heli looses signal 30 feet in front of me and 30 feet above me just because of antenna orientation, isn't it? Especially with those long antennas added and only being a 450 size with holes punched in CF airframe everywhere. I can't see how it could have a shadow. But apparently, i still does. Maybe.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
walkera v450d01 3d nov 5 2012 2 (4 min 42 sec)
RCG Plus Member