HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,159 Posts
Here you go guys , act fast sale over tomorrow. Only can get one , it come out to 12 bucks after shipping ,still a good deal if you need a battery

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ce=Emailvision
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Here you go guys , act fast sale over tomorrow. Only can get one , it come out to 12 bucks after shipping ,still a good deal if you need a battery

International only? just a thought.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:36 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Cool. Nice,
Less talk, more build ,lol
+1

I need to know how to build mine for when I move to somewhere where I can fly it without the anti-fun nazis coming out. :-)
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:38 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,819 Posts
Quote:

Not sure how it'll cope with the amp draw on the V450, but I have one of these that I've flown on a quad and for the price I really can't complain. It doesn't have the full top end of the nano-techs but it's fine for buzzin about.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:56 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,159 Posts
I hope it will be fine , i have other packs that small, but blue lipos. Happy flying guys
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
I hope it will be fine , i have other packs that small, but blue lipos. Happy flying guys
Those are the majority of the packs i use. 20-30C packs from Turnigy work fine. But get ready to replace/consider replacing turnigy packs after about 30 cycles. They seem to degrade quickly but are fairly true rated. Of course the 20-30C packs are not as powerful as others. But in my experience with 2S packs. The Nano packs keep setting off my battery alarm with low voltage spikes and the flight times are short! The 40-50C regular turnigy packs seem okay for performance, but again. The flight times seem short.

The weather is nice, i'm just resisting trying to fly the 450 with my old RX. The new one should be here soon. Maybe tomorrow. It would be pretty bad to crash it today and get a new RX tomorrow. I'm in serious withdrawls here. The X5 won't be done for another day or two depending on how quickly i get back around to it. All i have left basically is the electronics install and rotor/blades/swash setup. This could take me a while because i've never done the uBeast setup or the DX8. I think i have the DX8 menus down now. They hide their model select menu and system config menu for all the options ANY of us WK guys would be looking for right in the main menu. Apparently all BeastX systems use the 1 servo / no mixing method on the swash. The BeastX handles everything. So the way everything works/tunes on this heli will be very different than the v450.

As far as batteries go. I did buy a Turnigy 4000 mAh 6S for the Gaui. I will be going full Gens Ace from now on though. I might even have to go Hyperion for this one, considering biggies luck with them & their warranty.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:50 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
Funny you said that your battery alarm is going off, what voltage is it set for?
Mine just started doing that on my original Storm batteries when I go from normal to stunt 1 & mine is set for 3.7 volts. It has happened on two of them so far, but I was tweaking my transmitter settings for different pitch curves & head speed & the head speed was like ripping. I hope that is why the alarm went off.

When it happened I ended up going back to normal mode & hit throttle hold, I forgot I put a -5% down in throttle hold & I was too low. I can't believe I didn't snap the landing gear, but I did get a boom strike which took out the main blades, and of course I stripped the main gear too & broke a ball link.

It's back together now, I took out the -5% on throttle hold, I won't do that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Those are the majority of the packs i use. 20-30C packs from Turnigy work fine. But get ready to replace/consider replacing turnigy packs after about 30 cycles. They seem to degrade quickly but are fairly true rated. Of course the 20-30C packs are not as powerful as others. But in my experience with 2S packs. The Nano packs keep setting off my battery alarm with low voltage spikes and the flight times are short! The 40-50C regular turnigy packs seem okay for performance, but again. The flight times seem short.

The weather is nice, i'm just resisting trying to fly the 450 with my old RX. The new one should be here soon. Maybe tomorrow. It would be pretty bad to crash it today and get a new RX tomorrow. I'm in serious withdrawls here. The X5 won't be done for another day or two depending on how quickly i get back around to it. All i have left basically is the electronics install and rotor/blades/swash setup. This could take me a while because i've never done the uBeast setup or the DX8. I think i have the DX8 menus down now. They hide their model select menu and system config menu for all the options ANY of us WK guys would be looking for right in the main menu. Apparently all BeastX systems use the 1 servo / no mixing method on the swash. The BeastX handles everything. So the way everything works/tunes on this heli will be very different than the v450.

As far as batteries go. I did buy a Turnigy 4000 mAh 6S for the Gaui. I will be going full Gens Ace from now on though. I might even have to go Hyperion for this one, considering biggies luck with them & their warranty.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Funny you said that your battery alarm is going off, what voltage is it set for?
Mine just started doing that on my original Storm batteries when I go from normal to stunt 1 & mine is set for 3.7 volts. It has happened on two of them so far, but I was tweaking my transmitter settings for different pitch curves & head speed & the head speed was like ripping. I hope that is why the alarm went off.

When it happened I ended up going back to normal mode & hit throttle hold, I forgot I put a -5% down in throttle hold & I was too low. I can't believe I didn't snap the landing gear, but I did get a boom strike which took out the main blades, and of course I stripped the main gear too & broke a ball link.

It's back together now, I took out the -5% on throttle hold, I won't do that again.
I change mine between 3.6v and 3.7v depending on what pack i'm using. 3.6v seems fine for most of my packs that are normal discharge (20-30c) i get 5 minute flights and when the alarm goes off and i land, i'm usuaully at about 3.75-3.8v. With the high discharge packs, it seems like i can fly longer and still have lots of power. But if i set the alarm to 3.6 and land, the cells will be at or below 3.7v. The particular nano packs i use in my 200 are the ones that set the alarm off. If i pump to hard or flip too much or pull up from a loop with loads of resistance. The alarm goes off once, then shuts off. I can still fly for minutes until it legitimately goes off. I don't know if the packs are just bad, or if high discharge packs like this just spike low. /shrug. I guess it could be both.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:10 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
I think the high C packs are the ones that shouldn't set off your alarm unless they are going bad. I will be setting my battery alarm to 3.6V & drop my stunt 1 & 2 head speed down, That should fix the problem.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
I think the high C packs are the ones that shouldn't set off your alarm unless they are going bad. I will be setting my battery alarm to 3.6V & drop my stunt 1 & 2 head speed down, That should fix the problem.
Could be, they are Turnigy packs. The ones doing it on my 200 are brand new and have under 10 cycles on them. Probably around 5-8 cycles.

I just want to say, i just got done with most of the BeastX setup. It's kind of confusing reading though the manual. There are a bunch of menus and things for each function. It's pretty nice, but the learning curve can be frustrating when you want to get though the heli setup, but don't know the menu and functions. Once you figure them all out, it's super easy! Almost as easy as the 2702V or the newer version devo units, i'm sure are the same way. It's pretty simple and it's already obvious that this gyro is going to be much better tuned to any heli you put it on. The different, more precise adjustments of each individual servo's neutral position as well a a more refined cyclic setup for, what should be very precise gyro control. Plus it has an additional feature called Pirouette Compensation. You have to set this properly for your heli setup, or your piro will be very wacky and might crash you. But when it's setup right, this is the major difference between a 2702V gyro, or any of their other gyros and the BeastX. I'm sure that 3GX has something similar as well. The piro compensation will maintain the level and orientation of the heli though the piro. SO, what this allows is for superior stabilization of things like piro punch outs inverted and things that me and biggie have not been able to do well on the v450. It's not the heli, it's the gyro. The Piro comp on the beastX gyros, like i said, keep the orientation of the heli for you to some degree. So you could be in FFF with the heli tipped forward at an angle or even thrusting along on blades edge and just piro your ass off and the heli will maintain that orientation. At least that is the idea. It's not fair to even compare a BeastX to a walkera, and i have not flown it yet. But i'm sure this is leaps and bounds above and worth every dollar. Probably the most bang for your buck in a quality gyro available at the moment. I'll report more after the maiden.

I should also mention that this is one of my concerns with the new 6 axis, i should say one of my concerns of incapability of the 6 axis.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 30, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:14 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
I installed the new 2702V and set the heli back up for 100% true. Went though the entire setup for rotor, tail everything! I replaced a set of servo gears that were not stripped but must have been damaged because they ran rough. I tuned and lubed the heli and greased the servos. Everything is running super smooth now. I put the v450 at the end of my driveway and went to the other side of my property, to the extent that i could still see the V450 in the sun. It would be roughly 100 feet or so. I turned on the range test on the 2801-pro and flipped around the pitch and cyclic. Everything responded well. It spooled up even, with no delay or anything noticeable. I have a good feeling, but am skeptical.

Here is how i installed the "New version" 2702V with long antenna wires.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:22 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Here is a Size comparison from the V450, to the X5. You can say 335mm blades VS 520mm blades all day. But till you hold it or see them next to each other. It's hard to realize how much of a difference there really is. My 450 feels like a toy now.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
I am running (1) original from Walkera (4) Storm) 2200mah & (5 Gens Ace) 2500 Mah total use per pack less than 10 each as I only have about 65 flights total on this crappy bird.

I don't think your problem is with the packs, just the voltage set for the alarm.

I read all of your comments about the beast-x, all I can say is the learning curve will be enormous! I found this out with the devo 10, the docs suck & it is causing me real problems. I ended up screwing it up once & killed the gyro input rate, some how. Do you know what it feels like to have zero gyro? I ended up doing a 270 degree piro on lift off but was able to get it down & safe with zero damage. That sucked! I had a copy of the original model as model 2, thank God, so it flies, but I still need to tweak a few problems!!!

I will be fixing my Gas helicopter throttle plate & I will get it flying again, as this Walkera is really trying my patience! Go big, reason is...you can see the SOBs

Quote:
Could be, they are Turnigy packs. The ones doing it on my 200 are brand new and have under 10 cycles on them. Probably around 5-8 cycles.

I just want to say, i just got done with most of the BeastX setup. It's kind of confusing reading though the manual. There are a bunch of menus and things for each function. It's pretty nice, but the learning curve can be frustrating when you want to get though the heli setup, but don't know the menu and functions. Once you figure them all out, it's super easy! Almost as easy as the 2702V or the newer version devo units, i'm sure are the same way. It's pretty simple and it's already obvious that this gyro is going to be much better tuned to any heli you put it on. The different, more precise adjustments of each individual servo's neutral position as well a a more refined cyclic setup for, what should be very precise gyro control. Plus it has an additional feature called Pirouette Compensation. You have to set this properly for your heli setup, or your piro will be very wacky and might crash you. But when it's setup right, this is the major difference between a 2702V gyro, or any of their other gyros and the BeastX. I'm sure that 3GX has something similar as well. The piro compensation will maintain the level and orientation of the heli though the piro. SO, what this allows is for superior stabilization of things like piro punch outs inverted and things that me and biggie have not been able to do well on the v450. It's not the heli, it's the gyro. The Piro comp on the beastX gyros, like i said, keep the orientation of the heli for you to some degree. So you could be in FFF with the heli tipped forward at an angle or even thrusting along on blades edge and just piro your ass off and the heli will maintain that orientation. At least that is the idea. It's not fair to even compare a BeastX to a walkera, and i have not flown it yet. But i'm sure this is leaps and bounds above and worth every dollar. Probably the most bang for your buck in a quality gyro available at the moment. I'll report more after the maiden.

I should also mention that this is one of my concerns with the new 6 axis, i should say one of my concerns of incapability of the 6 axis.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:45 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,819 Posts
Quote:
I found this out with the devo 10, the docs suck & it is causing me real problems. I ended up screwing it up once & killed the gyro input rate, some how. Do you know what it feels like to have zero gyro? I ended up doing a 270 degree piro on lift off but was able to get it down & safe with zero damage. That sucked! I had a copy of the original model as model 2, thank God, so it flies, but I still need to tweak a few problems!!!

I completely understand!!

This is a

**MUST CHECK**

every time you use a new model because the default GYRO setting in a WK radio for a new model is 50% which means not rate and not HH - just nothingness and it's caught me out before. Luckily usually only on helis that I've done a decent job of setting up the tail on already but boy does it make you wide awake when it happens! 60% or 65% would surely be a better default value but then if you only ever flew rate mode it might be worse... so it just has to be something you check first on every new model memory setup.

Glad you got away with it this time!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,159 Posts
I cant wait to see the maiden , and then all the others! The bigger the bird the more stable, your gonna love it

Quote:
Here is a Size comparison from the V450, to the X5. You can say 335mm blades VS 520mm blades all day. But till you hold it or see them next to each other. It's hard to realize how much of a difference there really is. My 450 feels like a toy now.