HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
3 after work flights today , it felt so good and now that i have flown 2 fun flys , flying by myself seems easier, no pressure! Im working on fine tuning my moves ! Hell i still fly ugly circles, and my backwards flying sucks lol

Hey biggie. I wonder if you would do me a favor. I'm getting close to possibly having the funds to order the next big one. Maybe a month or two. Hopefully sooner. I wonder if you would take a look at the CopterX 600E for me and tell me if you notice any major differences with the heli. I'm mainly interested in differences from your 600 or the Align 600e in general. I've decided i'm not rich enough to fly and maintain anything bigger than a 600, and that is pushing it as far as batteries, blades and replacement rotor head costs go. Because i plan on not crashing YET, but eventually, you know me. It will get piled just so i can fix it (or so it seems, right? ) So i am DEFINITELY going to either keep saving and get an Gaui X5 or go with the cheaper, and bigger alternative the CopterX 600e.

Anyway, if not, it's cool. I was just hoping you might notice any differences because you own the 600. Thanks either way.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I just said that in a stupid way. What i mean is. When not using a governor, i much prefer the throttle response in port 2, compared to when i set endpoints in port two and move the plug to port 1. The motor makes revving noises a lot more. The throttle is a lot more erratic and the resolution (precision of control) seems to be reduced. Basically, my observation is that there is no need to use Port one EVER if your using an upgraded ESC.

Gotcha!
I agree with what you see and feel between the two ports.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:35 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,135 Posts
I just found this for you....http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=11301

It has some differences in graph form.As for the others i will look into more for you.... You can pull up the align 600 specs and compare length and stuff that way! The head and swash look wierd, but not bad just different. You maybe want to talk to kdean on other thread i sent you to, he does the clone stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Hey biggie. I wonder if you would do me a favor. I'm getting close to possibly having the funds to order the next big one. Maybe a month or two. Hopefully sooner. I wonder if you would take a look at the CopterX 600E for me and tell me if you notice any major differences with the heli. I'm mainly interested in differences from your 600 or the Align 600e in general. I've decided i'm not rich enough to fly and maintain anything bigger than a 600, and that is pushing it as far as batteries, blades and replacement rotor head costs go. Because i plan on not crashing YET, but eventually, you know me. It will get piled just so i can fix it (or so it seems, right? ) So i am DEFINITELY going to either keep saving and get an Gaui X5 or go with the cheaper, and bigger alternative the CopterX 600e.

Anyway, if not, it's cool. I was just hoping you might notice any differences because you own the 600. Thanks either way.
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,499 Posts
I built a Copterex 250 clone, and ended up replacing a lot of the parts with Align parts.
Most of Copterex electronics is junk, stay away from it.
If you look on eBay you can find a new Trex 600E barebones kit for about $100 more than the CX kit. It's worth the extra money.
As they say in the field of Artificial Intelligence, " There's nothing like the real thing baby".
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:02 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,135 Posts
I think it looks really nice compaired to mine, you will get more fights with it being 6 cell heli! I wonder if you can upgrade to 12s later??? I got the mack daddy so i wouldnt want to upgrade in a few months. Its just the way i am.lol

As for the v450 , im down to 4minute 30 second flights. I am making sure my batteries dont puff. I may drop to 4 minutes! Its not as fun as just staying up there but less money and more charges for the batteries is better. Im in deep also!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,793 Posts
Well. I think if i am going to consider getting an Align 600 i'd rather just get the Gaui X5. The 600 is not that much bigger and it will cost about the same as the Gaui. Initial cost is a factor, long term cost is not. So if i end up slowly replacing parts with Align on the CX 600 that is fine too. The Align 600 kit is about $1100. The Gaui X5 is $900 and comes with everything but a battery and RX. The parts are harder to get but priced well for the Gaui X5. I just don't know what to do. I wish i could fly each of them to decide. This is kind of BS to make such an investment and have nothing but other peoples feedback on it.

Anyway, here is a Link with a size comparison of the X5 and 600.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=439715

I am just feeling the design of the X5 more. It's just the availability of parts i'm worried about. But the initial startup cost will be less with it being a 6S config instead of a 12S. One other thing i noticed about the CX600 kit is, it does NOT come with blades at all. So it's really not all that much cheaper than the Align kit without any electronics. After buying the CX 600, blades, castle ICE HV 80 or 100 and a motor. Your practically at the same price tag. Unless of course you decide to use the CX electronics. I never considered doing that. Although i am using the CX 3550kv motor in both of my V450s and it seems to perform well with a 13T pinion. (3200 rpm @ 100% throt, i run it at 3100 rpm @ 90% though.) It does not get very hot, at least no where near as hot as the stock motor does. So the CX motors are probably decent, but i had no plan on getting their ESC and servos.

I just don't want to get one or the other and regret the purchase. I would probably like to have a bigger 600 with the added bonus of parts availability. But i'm not sure. Maybe i'll stop by my LHS where the owner flies a X5 and see what he thinks. Put my hands on the X5 one more time, if i'm really lucky he'll have a Align 600 there for me to put my mitts on too. That sure would help me decide. The Gaui just seems like a better, easier build. For the 1 inch of tail boom difference.

But for the time being i am stuck with my V450s. I still can't decide if i want to sell the new one i built or not. Having a back up sure will be nice once everything is setup properly. But selling it would help me get a new heli that much faster. I'll have to see how i feel about it later.

I also just wanted to mention that today just as the sun went down i had about 5 minutes to maybe fly or test the v450 again. I didn't get a full flight because it seriously got dark fast. But before attempting it this time i ran though the whole swash mix at 80 - 80 - 80 and the the flip/roll rate was much more increased over JUST raising the swash mix without going over the RX setup. I guess there is a difference between doing the end point setup at 80 - 80 - 80 and doing the setup at 70 - 70 - 70, then raising it to 80 - 80 - 80 after. Because i didn't get nearly as much cyclic pitch until i did the RX setup at 80 - 80 - 80. Sure raising it seemed to add some movement and response, but not nearly as much as after doing the setup with the higher mix.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,793 Posts
Quote:
I think it looks really nice compaired to mine, you will get more fights with it being 6 cell heli! I wonder if you can upgrade to 12s later??? I got the mack daddy so i wouldnt want to upgrade in a few months. Its just the way i am.lol

As for the v450 , im down to 4minute 30 second flights. I am making sure my batteries dont puff. I may drop to 4 minutes! Its not as fun as just staying up there but less money and more charges for the batteries is better. Im in deep also!
I really don't think the X5 airframe, if you look at it. Will ever be able to accommodate a 12S config. In fact, the one and only thing i DO NOT like about the Gaui X5 design is the way they mount the battery. In 3D or in a crash i have concerns that it will slide up making contact with the motor. They sell a "frame strengthener" kit or something like that. It has 2 added paddles that block the battery from moving up toward the motor. So that fixes that issue. But if you can fit the 2nd pack, somehow, and change the motor/ESC, i don't see why it couldn't run at 12S.

I only get about 4.5-5 minute flights depending on how windy it is and how aggressive i fly on the 450. But 4 minute 30 second flights is not uncommon. I would hope a 6S could fly for at least that long!

You really should give using a battery alarm a try. If a cell in one of your packs drops below the preset level it will alert you. So it could prevent a battery incident like you had before. Because I'm sure as the pack puffed the voltage in the puffed cell began to drop rapidly. Since you didn't know, you kept flying and the battery kept expanding. Had you known you might have landed earlier. Had you not known in time, or if the pack had worse damage. It might have brought your nice big heli down or worse, burst into flames and you without a fire extinguisher!

Which brings me to what i think might be a good suggestion. Wallyworld, where i avoid shopping at all costs and all kinds of places sell little kitchen fire extinguishers for grease fires and things. Or the little ones that fit on a jet ski! I think it would be a good idea when flying 6S and 12S heli to keep one near by. I've seen a lot of flaming heli/lipo vids and no one ever seems to have one! Not only might it save some of your heli, it will hopefully prevent the grass or something worse from catching fire. Or just having the ability to put it out if something did catch on.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,135 Posts
Did you check heli-heli.com , dustin is great there and he hooked me up almost evertime i asked , he beat out wows price and that made me happy. He even smoked my castle while testing for me and then upgraded for free. Yes, he built it for me and tested it ( 75. Bucks) i paid 951.00 for my trex 600 . Then 48 bucks for the 2801 rx and some batteries and i was golden! Align servos and everything! I always ask for deals when i can, and most of the time you will get it! And do you see the size difference in the blade grips , its a whole new world!

I hope i never have to buy from wow again!lol
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,135 Posts
Thats a damn good idea. Fire extinguiser! Plus i need 2 new ones for the house. The first night in my house 14 years ago the ground at the main was loose and it started to catch fire, so .....i wonder when they expire. Hell i should have one for my job.......i have had a cell site catch fire before!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:51 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Did you check heli-heli.com , dustin is great there and he hooked me up almost evertime i asked , he beat out wows price and that made me happy. He even smoked my castle while testing for me and then upgraded for free. Yes, he built it for me and tested it ( 75. Bucks) i paid 951.00 for my trex 600 . Then 48 bucks for the 2801 rx and some batteries and i was golden! Align servos and everything! I always ask for deals when i can, and most of the time you will get it! And do you see the size difference in the blade grips , its a whole new world!

I hope i never have to buy from wow again!lol
Wow isn't so bad for what they are. But the they have done a few little things that kind of pissed me off. Otherwise i don't mind them all that much. I'm kind of worried about the new V450 blade grips. They are plastic.... probably heavier and probably break easier. I don't like the idea of screwing ball links into plastic either. I think i overestimated the cost some. I found a few on Ebay for some better prices. I still am leaning toward that X5.

Quote:
Thats a damn good idea. Fire extinguiser! Plus i need 2 new ones for the house. The first night in my house 14 years ago the ground at the main was loose and it started to catch fire, so .....i wonder when they expire. Hell i should have one for my job.......i have had a cell site catch fire before!
Cheap tiny fire extinguishers usually have an expatriation date or a little button you can use to check the unit. Otherwise the bigger normal extinguishers with a gauge on them should be checked every year. At least look at it to make sure it's still charged and ready on the gauge. Most people don't do them annually tough, sometimes not at all. There are tons of cases of people not being able to use the 20 year old extinguisher they never had recharged!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
I just saw this on miracle mart, Tail grips with thrust bearings. That would put my mind more at ease when my tail is spinning 13k rpm.

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=9493

The carbon fiber sided tail gearbox they have is pretty cool too, although not for v450. Tarot is really stepping up lately with 450 upgrades.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Last edited by flint723; Oct 17, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
I just saw this on miracle mart, Tail grips with thrust bearings. That would put my mind more at ease when my tail is spinning 13k rpm.

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=9493

The carbon fiber sided tail gearbox they have it pretty cool too, although not for v450. Tarot is really stepping up lately with 450 upgrades.
Hey Flint. I got my Rex 450 Pro flying this morning with my Devo 6 using the 2801 protocol. I'll fly it on the V450 next.
Thanks again for your help.

That's a good price for the Tarot grips. At that price it's worth a try.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Good to hear, I'm glad there were no mishaps ;o When I first set up my 450 pro with deviation I didn't check aileron swash movement direction, scraped the blades on the ground a couple times before I figured it out, lol. The cat was nearby and it got hit with a hail of gravel. Needless to say the cats don't like my helis much.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,135 Posts
Well no flights with the v450 but with integrity getting a bigger heli ,i have to get all the flights in as i can with the 600, lol. He will fly more than me the first month he has heli.lol i did fly the 600 4 times in a row, breaking in my batts, short flights , no crazy stuff! Then my neck strap holder on the tx broke off, again lol. I have applied more super glue. Now for 8 solid hours of charging , add new charger to ur list integrity,lol. My ac6 is not cutting it anymore!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Well no flights with the v450 but with integrity getting a bigger heli ,i have to get all the flights in as i can with the 600, lol. He will fly more than me the first month he has heli.lol i did fly the 600 4 times in a row, breaking in my batts, short flights , no crazy stuff! Then my neck strap holder on the tx broke off, again lol. I have applied more super glue. Now for 8 solid hours of charging , add new charger to ur list integrity,lol. My ac6 is not cutting it anymore!
Yeah, I'll need another one. I'm not sure I'm happy with this one i have either. But there are others like it. This one is a 4 x 6S charger. Charges at a max of 6A per port. So it alone will charge 4 6S packs in, whatever it takes. Say 4000 mAh packs at 4A would take 1 hour or so. So 4 6S packs should charge in an hour with this unit. But this charger does not seem to balance all that well. Good enough, but i would rather see exactly 4.2 on each cell rather than some being 4.18 or whatever. Am i being too picky or does this charger just kind of suck at balancing? /shrug (just fyi, i'm not talking about para balancing, as shown in the picture below. Just single pack balancing)