HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,957 Posts
Failure of a different type!

After flying at least 20-25 packs with the new RX, things were going well! I just took everything apart last night and lubed it all. ALL EXCEPT MY TAIL BLADE GRIPS! DOH!. If i had i probably would have noticed something wrong. The outside bearing on one of the tail grips must have just fell apart, allowing the blade grip to be ejected. The result was a sudden loss of tail and me throttle cutting immediately. I was lucky enough that the Pro 3d blades just exploded at the root on impact and my main gear pin, once again sheered saving the OWB and main gear completely. YEP, sheer pin on the 450 is working out. It was unintentional, but it's how it works out since the screw is threaded the whole way down. Anyway. Damage was Main blades, Fusuno white Tail Blades, which i can't get anymore. (They glowed in the dark), Tail blade grips/bearings, and my swash separated so all i have to do is repress it and that saved all my servos from damage. All in all, damage is under $30. I should have checked those tail grips though! Damn it. Oh well. Maybe i'll just keep and fly the other 450 too. If i can keep them flying as good as it has been with the new RX. It might be worth keeping. If things are going to keep going like this at least i'll always have a spare.

IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,177 Posts
Its crazy , you fly 25 to my 3 flights usually. My 2nd fun fly went well, it was the windest it been for me . But the 600 cuts right thru it, i dont have excuses anymore. I had to cut my fly times to 3 minutes to break in my pack , but it will be all good.
I pull on my blade holders every flight now. It part of my heli check,

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post

After flying at least 20-25 packs with the new RX, things were going well! I just took everything apart last night and lubed it all. ALL EXCEPT MY TAIL BLADE GRIPS! DOH!. If i had i probably would have noticed something wrong. The outside bearing on one of the tail grips must have just fell apart, allowing the blade grip to be ejected. The result was a sudden loss of tail and me throttle cutting immediately. I was lucky enough that the Pro 3d blades just exploded at the root on impact and my main gear pin, once again sheered saving the OWB and main gear completely. YEP, sheer pin on the 450 is working out. It was unintentional, but it's how it works out since the screw is threaded the whole way down. Anyway. Damage was Main blades, Fusuno white Tail Blades, which i can't get anymore. (They glowed in the dark), Tail blade grips/bearings, and my swash separated so all i have to do is repress it and that saved all my servos from damage. All in all, damage is under $30. I should have checked those tail grips though! Damn it. Oh well. Maybe i'll just keep and fly the other 450 too. If i can keep them flying as good as it has been with the new RX. It might be worth keeping. If things are going to keep going like this at least i'll always have a spare.

Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Wow man, it's still like 70+ degrees here at 5am. Sucks if it's freaking freezing there already!? We are still getting tropical storms which means the cold dry air is not forcing it's way down this way yet. I'm hoping when it does this wind will DIE!!! DIE WIND DIE!!!!... (cough) hm. hum. sorry.. What was i saying? oh yeah. A little chill came though and now it might be a little cooler and LOTS less humidity. Which will bring me to another point in a second.

But first, batteries. One thing you can do is run the heat in your car and place the packs in front of the vents. How you work that out will depend on you. I'm sure in the cold, your pack will perform opposite of what you would normally be used to in the summer. The pack will perform poorly when cold. But it will heat itself up and will perform better near the end of the pack. Lipo packs don't operate exactly like a lead acid battery in a car, but the same principals do apply. 32 degrees is pretty cold. So keeping the packs body temp or slightly above before you go flying would work out best. The motor will keep them warm after that. The 450 packs can probably handle the cold better because of the surface to mass ratio, they will likely retain the heat from your car/body while setting them up and getting ready to fly. When your dealing with little 650 mAh packs they will go cold faster in the cold air and who knows, because i will never be able to fly in 30 degree weather living here. I really can't say, It might not work out at all with the 1S packs for you. You might be stuck indoors or waiting till the spring. The 450 won't like the cold either. But if you can keep the packs hot you'll be okay. Freezing cold is not a great idea though. Maybe in the 40-50 degree range. But this will be my first winter and the coldest i can expect is low to mid 20s for a few hours in the middle of the night. So i really can't give the best advise for cold flying. From what i have read, the thesis is. Don't do it.

Edit:
I just thought of something else which would save more energy in keeping your packs warm. They sell those little hand packs, i'm sure you've seen them. When they are exposed to oxygen they heat up. You place them in your pockets to keep your hands warm in the cold. I don't have any particular brand or even name of the item. But those things would probably be awesome for keeping your little 1S packs warm till it's time! Sometimes they can get so hot they can actually burn you though if the oxygen exposure is too rich. Usually they are fine here in Florida, higher altitude might not warm as well.

Now, about static. Some of you guys probably live in dry climates and already have some idea about the issues that can arise in a dry climate. Well now that we are going into the cooler months over here. That also brings in dryer air. That is bad news for anyone using EMI sensitive devices like radio receivers that just happen to sit right on top of a rubber belt rubbing against an aluminum tube. The friction, just like peter griffin in pajamas, creates static build up and can interfere with the RX. I'm pretty sure the v450 belt's composition is fairly decent in regards to the anti-static factor. But it's something to keep in mind if you start seeing issues. I've seen a few remedies for this including placing a square of fabric softener sheet between the tape below the rx?! Sounds weird but apparently fabric softener is highly anti-static. So if the tape sticks to it, layering it between seems to make sense. Otherwise there are rubber/plastic safe anti-static sprays.

Super fine flying day today after the temps came up, calm air and sun shine.
Put up 14 flights, 10 on the M120 and 4 on the V450, it was a fun day.
Still working with the Devo 10 with both ships and I really like it, Super fast and easy to make adjustments, everything is laid out in logical order. I like it much better than the Devo 6 I had been flying with.
Not a bad idea at first thought with the warmer keeping the batteries toasty.
I haven't flown 1S batteries on the M120 for a long time now but the 2S I do fly are just as small density wise, they chill out just as fast as the 1S.
I do all my flying in the side yard of my house so I guess I could stage my flights from inside the house, run outside make the flight and return to warm up and change batteries. That would probably work better than anything.
Sinse I am limited on space in my yard, all my flights have to be low, slow and close in so all my training on the sim has been in the gym which has a simular space compaired to my yard except of course I have no ceiling outside. It's been working out great, but I will never be able to do big loops, not enough room, only low speed flips.
Sorry to hear about your tail blade bearing giving it up and slinging the blade. Did you notice any slop to the tail blades before the incident or any tail vibration or was it just BANG, blades gone. I have that happen regular on the M120, no matter how I inspect the tail blades they always seem to fail at the blade bolt in flight. I haven't caught one yet with a small crack that I could take out of service, it's always been a big surprise. One very good thing about flying in my yard low and slow, if (when) I screw up or the helicopter fails, it's a short trip to the ground, no big aceleration before impact, just have to be quick on throttle hold.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Its crazy , you fly 25 to my 3 flights usually. My 2nd fun fly went well, it was the windest it been for me . But the 600 cuts right thru it, i dont have excuses anymore. I had to cut my fly times to 3 minutes to break in my pack , but it will be all good.
I pull on my blade holders every flight now. It part of my heli check,
Today was the probably the windiest for me as well. The 450 seemed to handle it pretty good. We had GALE force winds gusting though from time to time. So they were in the upper 30 mph range. Pretty crazy, the v120s didn't even like it one bit. I only recorded this one video, it just happened to be the flight just before the failure posted above. Preflight tug showed no slop ever. But you can clearly see the inside race of the bearing still attached to the shaft, as well as the other bearing and the screw! LOL. I never have maintained the tail grips much. Being used, i'm just happy to be replacing them honestly. Now i will keep up with them more.

V450D01 - 30+ Mph winds (5 min 29 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Super fine flying day today after the temps came up, calm air and sun shine.
Put up 14 flights, 10 on the M120 and 4 on the V450, it was a fun day.
Still working with the Devo 10 with both ships and I really like it, Super fast and easy to make adjustments, everything is laid out in logical order. I like it much better than the Devo 6 I had been flying with.
Not a bad idea at first thought with the warmer keeping the batteries toasty.
I haven't flown 1S batteries on the M120 for a long time now but the 2S I do fly are just as small density wise, they chill out just as fast as the 1S.
I do all my flying in the side yard of my house so I guess I could stage my flights from inside the house, run outside make the flight and return to warm up and change batteries. That would probably work better than anything.
Sinse I am limited on space in my yard, all my flights have to be low, slow and close in so all my training on the sim has been in the gym which has a simular space compaired to my yard except of course I have no ceiling outside. It's been working out great, but I will never be able to do big loops, not enough room, only low speed flips.
Sorry to hear about your tail blade bearing giving it up and slinging the blade. Did you notice any slop to the tail blades before the incident or any tail vibration or was it just BANG, blades gone. I have that happen regular on the M120, no matter how I inspect the tail blades they always seem to fail at the blade bolt in flight. I haven't caught one yet with a small crack that I could take out of service, it's always been a big surprise. One very good thing about flying in my yard low and slow, if (when) I screw up or the helicopter fails, it's a short trip to the ground, no big aceleration before impact, just have to be quick on throttle hold.

Viking
Yeah, the V120 tail blades seem to just be like that. They will kind of tear too if you ever tried? You can rip them in half with your fingers sometimes. The D05 blades seem worse than the D02S blades though. But i like the white ones.

Hey, you should try the 130X main blades! Huge performance increase! As well as visibility options! They are so light the head speed is increased and torque load is lower on the motor. They are almost too light and don't like these high winds. But man, they are great! You have to retune the heli for them, maybe even reduce mechanical cyclic/pitch gain as well. I have not gone there yet. Still doing digital tuning. But with the upgrade motor i had to reduce throttle and gyro gain to get rid of some wobbling too. Flight time seems to be increased too. Pretty serious upgrade for only $10, IMO. So far all i have been doing is crashing the V120d02S because it makes it feel so light. The D05CS is a lot more stable with them. But i have only had 25+ mph winds to test them in since i got them. So i'm sure the wind is messing with me too since the D02S is so light in the air now.

No i noticed nothing with the tail in preflight inspection. In the video above it's hard to tell because of the wind, but the tail was solid. The very next flight, i WISH i recorded. I flew 85% of the pack and as i was hovering around a few feet in front of my heli pad i just heard a loud WOOSH and a kind of high pitched wurring sound as the blade grip went flying off somewhere. I couldn't find it but i found the other individual blade with broken root. At first i thought the tail belt or something broke. I had no idea what was going on. What is going to suck is getting that tail hub off with it being soaked inside with blue locktite. 100W solder iron here i come! This is going to be a bitch to fix the steering slider now.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:00 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,957 Posts
If any of you guys are looking to set up a redundancy for your RX. I found this cool little battery/bec. Nice little package to stick somewhere for a all in one solution for a redundant power source.

Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:17 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
All the metal particles look like they came from your tail rotor hub bearing when you lost the one tail blade, causing the hub to vibrate like crazy. Man you really have everything fail for you!

I don't understand why that blade holder bearing would fail, it does get centrifugal force on it but it only has to rotate 45 degrees each side of center if that much.
I do lube everything I can get to, just in case. Of course it gets slung out after the first flight, after five flights I'm sure it is gone.

Sorry for your crash, you were really getting in some flight time,after sorting out all of your problems. It was looking like you were finally able to start enjoying your V450's again!

Quote:

iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
All the metal particles look like they came from your tail rotor hub bearing when you lost the one tail blade, causing the hub to vibrate like crazy. Man you really have everything fail for you!

I don't understand why that blade holder bearing would fail, it does get centrifugal force on it but it only has to rotate 45 degrees each side of center if that much.
I do lube everything I can get to, just in case. Of course it gets slung out after the first flight, after five flights I'm sure it is gone.

Sorry for your crash, you were really getting in some flight time,after sorting out all of your problems. It was looking like you were finally able to start enjoying your V450's again!
Yeah, this one i kind of laughed about though. It really is a strange one. Those particulates your seeing are mostly sand i think. I basically crashed it into a beach with some high grass growing around here and there. I have 3 different brushes i have to keep on my bench for cleaning and i have to remove sand after each flight/outing, even though i land on a heli pad. I suspect that the fairly durable plastic blades i had in the tail, as well as a few pairs of CF tail blades over time might have been wearing out the bearings from impacts. Don't forget this heli was used and these tail grips are the ones that come on there. Who knows how old they really were. This heli has hit the dirt with those same grips at least 30 times. So I'm sure the bearings took some damage along the way. Just like others. I've had to replace the top main rotor shaft bearing 3 times for the same reason. Impact damage causes it to become off center or something, making it kind of gritty and having more friction feel to it. So now instead of replacing the whole bearing block from Walkera. On Heliflyer711's recommendation from a while ago i replace the bearings with Abec-3 bearings that i purchase from helidirect and press myself. They hold up much better, and yeah! I have to lube everything 5-10 flights. The scorpion oil does not seem to be ejected as much as worn down, though i'm sure some is ejected also. But it also seems to just break down and turn into some kind of grease then oozes to the surface of the bearing. I wipe them with swabs and relube. But if a bunch of black muck comes out, it's time to replace the bearing because the seals are worn and the inner pre-pack grease is coming out the sides quickly. I really have been neglecting the tail bearings though, because like you said. They hardly move and it's kind of strange they would fail. I always checked their movement and figured if anything went wrong they would have felt stiff or frozen. i would just have replaced them. It doesn't even look like the inside race for the balls was worn or anything. It's as if the outside race just gave way and let the whole bearing and grip fly off. This particular one i blame myself for neglect. Though i'm not sure i would have noticed it during any inspection either.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,276 Posts
The Fall trees and wind.

Seems I learn something new every day.
A little windy here today but because my flying field is pretty much surrounded by trees they have become my early warning system to allert me a big gust is coming and if I don't want to end up in a pile on the ground if I am doing something difficult I better stop and hover and wait for the gust to subside. Thank you trees. However there is the issue now with falling leaves, when the wind is blowing from the east, west or south my flying area has hundreds of flying leaves falling into it. With the trees being mature and very tall, the leaves pass over the entire field. It's fun with the V450, it will eat a leaf through the main rotor without any issues, not looking forward to the tail rotor. I don't think the M120 will as fair as good, main or tail rotor. The leaves are big.

Viking
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,276 Posts
Quote:

Integrity,
Do you have any ball park figure or estimate on the amount of flight time that tail blade feathering bearing had before failure.
I would like to start establishing a life limit on such things and replace them before they fail.
Sinse you are the high time V450 pilot in the group I consider you "lead the fleet" in establishing base line limits on the important safety of flight parts.
It's one thing to replace parts on a regular bases because of crashes but now that the experiance level has increased and the amount of crashes over time has dropped I need to start thinking of replaceing safety of flight parts due to time and not wait for them to fail.
Sinse I fly low and close in it's important to me in preventing having to remove a rotor blade stuck in my fore head.

Viking
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,957 Posts
Quote:
Seems I learn something new every day.
A little windy here today but because my flying field is pretty much surrounded by trees they have become my early warning system to allert me a big gust is coming and if I don't want to end up in a pile on the ground if I am doing something difficult I better stop and hover and wait for the gust to subside. Thank you trees. However there is the issue now with falling leaves, when the wind is blowing from the east, west or south my flying area has hundreds of flying leaves falling into it. With the trees being mature and very tall, the leaves pass over the entire field. It's fun with the V450, it will eat a leaf through the main rotor without any issues, not looking forward to the tail rotor. I don't think the M120 will as fair as good, main or tail rotor. The leaves are big.

Viking
Man, i trashed quite a few TT gears on the V120 before getting a slipper clutch! The same thing. Falling leaves right into the tail rotor! Takes the gears right out! I couldn't believe they would use a TT on such a small heli. But now, i suppose it's the best lossless way to go. The v120d05 sure looses a lot of torque and HS over the D02 with the belt. Even with a more powerful motor on the D05 i can still notice the struggle more. Those leaves will cause a few tail spins i'm sure if your using a clutch. I doubt the 450 will mind it as much though. Belts are pretty durable and clutch back almost immediately. Good luck with that, still waiting for the first real bad wave of fall to hit here. Then it happens again in march/april. We get 2 falls here every year. Sometimes 3 if the weather is erratic.

Quote:
Integrity,
Do you have any ball park figure or estimate on the amount of flight time that tail blade feathering bearing had before failure.
I would like to start establishing a life limit on such things and replace them before they fail.
Sinse you are the high time V450 pilot in the group I consider you "lead the fleet" in establishing base line limits on the important safety of flight parts.
It's one thing to replace parts on a regular bases because of crashes but now that the experiance level has increased and the amount of crashes over time has dropped I need to start thinking of replaceing safety of flight parts due to time and not wait for them to fail.
Sinse I fly low and close in it's important to me in preventing having to remove a rotor blade stuck in my fore head.

Viking
Yes, if general avionics can come to a conclusion that it's safer to put a service life on parts for safety. Why is it we have not started doing this for RC models? Some of them are more dangerous, especially for random unsuspecting people or property. But unfortunately no, i have no idea on these particular ones. They are the ones that were with the heli when i bought it used. They could have had 2 or 200 flights before i got it.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,553 Posts
@IH
Here's a beasty for sale for $50 more than you will pay for the 2702 you said you were planning on buying.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751082
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
@IH
Here's a beasty for sale for $50 more than you will pay for the 2702 you said you were planning on buying.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751082
i already saw that. Thanks. For uniformity purposes i think i'll stick with the 2702V since i decided to keep both 450s for the time being. Today i put the 2702V back on the new heli to see how it flew. Honestly the new heli does not respond as fast as the one i have been flying. The flip and roll speed is WAY too slow. So i basically landed it and stopped flying it. I don't want to keep flying it because i do plan on selling it. But i do want to test it thoroughly to make sure nothing is wrong too. The two things that are VERY different from my older v450 and this new one is that the new one is using the "New" v450 swash. The other thing is instead of 335mm Pro 3D blades i'm using the blue 325mm Align blades. There could be a weight difference or something in the blades.

I suspect, without measuring or checking between the two. That the "New" swash has a limited range of movement because of the new plastic parts and wider, fatter housing for the ball joint and bearings in general. When i first reinstalled the 2702V on this heli and ran though the servo config it seemed like the cyclic movement was much less. I chalked it up to the taller look of the swash and moved on. But it was apparent in flight. So, in my opinion. It's obvious this is the reason for the longer ball links on the "New" v450 rotor head. Because they limited movement on the swash, by lengthening the blade grip ball links they compensated for that lack of motion on the swash. So, as far as i can tell. The "New" and old rotor parts are not fully compatible. I did notice that WOW had swashes restocked. I really hope they don't send the "new" parts instead like H e l i p a l did to me. They seem to have done some work towards separating the "New" v120 parts so i hope the old swashes are still available! Especially since the new rotor heads are not really widely available yet and look stupid as hell with that big thing that looks like a E2 or P3 radar dish on it's rotor. /sigh. Oh well. Hopefully the new swash i ordered will be the right one this time. Not holding my breath.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
Just a couple of things I want to mention here.

1. Where did you get that "Heli-Pad"? I have not seen it advertised anywhere.

2. I don't fly/crash in the sand, so I can see where that could cause a problem with grit getting in to everything.

3. I have not looked or dis-assembled anything on my V450 to know how those bearings are put together. I am surprised that you mentioned that they have a seal on them. Actually, I didn't think they would have done that for the price they charge for the complete set of bearings.

4. My background for your info, I was a jet engine mechanic in the Navy, I have a electronics degree/computer main-frames,medical equipment. Not trying to toot a horn here, but, you seem to be very intelligent & I am curious as to what you do for a living & have experiences in. Your input here has been very informative, don't leave us when you shift off to a different helicopter.... Please!

Quote:
Yeah, this one i kind of laughed about though. It really is a strange one. Those particulates your seeing are mostly sand i think. I basically crashed it into a beach with some high grass growing around here and there. I have 3 different brushes i have to keep on my bench for cleaning and i have to remove sand after each flight/outing, even though i land on a heli pad. I suspect that the fairly durable plastic blades i had in the tail, as well as a few pairs of CF tail blades over time might have been wearing out the bearings from impacts. Don't forget this heli was used and these tail grips are the ones that come on there. Who knows how old they really were. This heli has hit the dirt with those same grips at least 30 times. So I'm sure the bearings took some damage along the way. Just like others. I've had to replace the top main rotor shaft bearing 3 times for the same reason. Impact damage causes it to become off center or something, making it kind of gritty and having more friction feel to it. So now instead of replacing the whole bearing block from Walkera. On Heliflyer711's recommendation from a while ago i replace the bearings with Abec-3 bearings that i purchase from helidirect and press myself. They hold up much better, and yeah! I have to lube everything 5-10 flights. The scorpion oil does not seem to be ejected as much as worn down, though i'm sure some is ejected also. But it also seems to just break down and turn into some kind of grease then oozes to the surface of the bearing. I wipe them with swabs and relube. But if a bunch of black muck comes out, it's time to replace the bearing because the seals are worn and the inner pre-pack grease is coming out the sides quickly. I really have been neglecting the tail bearings though, because like you said. They hardly move and it's kind of strange they would fail. I always checked their movement and figured if anything went wrong they would have felt stiff or frozen. i would just have replaced them. It doesn't even look like the inside race for the balls was worn or anything. It's as if the outside race just gave way and let the whole bearing and grip fly off. This particular one i blame myself for neglect. Though i'm not sure i would have noticed it during any inspection either.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,553 Posts
@ IH

These are new tail rotor grips with thrust bearings from Tarot. Check them out.
http://tarot-rc-heli.com/450-New-Des...lter_name=tail

Also take a look at the RJX head. It's much better than the Walkera head.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Just a couple of things I want to mention here.

1. Where did you get that "Heli-Pad"? I have not seen it advertised anywhere.

2. I don't fly/crash in the sand, so I can see where that could cause a problem with grit getting in to everything.

3. I have not looked or dis-assembled anything on my V450 to know how those bearings are put together. I am surprised that you mentioned that they have a seal on them. Actually, I didn't think they would have done that for the price they charge for the complete set of bearings.

4. My background for your info, I was a jet engine mechanic in the Navy, I have a electronics degree/computer main-frames,medical equipment. Not trying to toot a horn here, but, you seem to be very intelligent & I am curious as to what you do for a living & have experiences in. Your input here has been very informative, don't leave us when you shift off to a different helicopter.... Please!
1. I made the heli pad myself out of dow polystyrene.

3. Yup, they are regular sealed bearings front and back. No thrust bearing at all.

4. Well I'd like to say i have an extensive background and all kinds of degrees. But honestly it's just that i've always been a hard core book worm. Or what i like to call an independent researcher. LOVE the random article button on wikipedia! I have some first hand/observation experience with electronics and electrical basics from my parent's electronics repair shop. Which was cool for me because i, unlike most 10-12 year olds, got to build my first computer from parts. Later i worked at a factory making capacitors for a company called American Radionics. Then i build and soldered power supplies for a company called Abb Ceag. That background lead me into a few different communications jobs. My dad was working for AT&T before he retired. I was at one point working for the rival cable company! OH, the drama . Anyway, i also installed networks/communications for hospitals, condos and other commercial applications. Trying my best not to get to involved with the hardware any more than hooking it up and running the wires. I enjoyed that. But eventually i got bored and the money is never good for anything here in Florida. I was working out of my house doing odd jobs, since i really have this jack of all trades type mind set and love learning everything. But lately i got myself stuck helping someone out with a landscape business. I'm hoping we can take the whole thing over because the owner is like 76 or something and should not be working. But i came, part time to help him out. Then he got cancer so i'm working much more than i wanted too for not enough money. This has an effect on side jobs and my energy to try to get them. So with out those kinds of lump sums of money coming my way. I might have to wait a long while before i can get a bigger heli. But since this RX is working out, my stubborn ass will just have to be happy with the V450. I'm still not sure if i want to sell this other v450 or not. It's flying well and i'm pretty sure that the flipping speed issue has to do with the servos, not the swash. At least i hope. They are used servos. I'm going to check them out later and see. And by used i mean i installed them in my other heli, crashed them once or twice and then installed new servos to make sure by blackouts were not servo related. (man that had me going nuts). So i don't think they should be damaged compared to how many times i've crashed the current set installed in my v450. Still, you never know.

Edit:
Oh yeah and my grandfather was a tool & die man. Worked for Curtiss-Wright making air plane parts and things like that. I learned a lot from him and inherited what was left of his tools and things. My brother pawned most of the good stuff. But he also did wood working and some other stuff. So i got a nice variety of tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
@ IH

These are new tail rotor grips with thrust bearings from Tarot. Check them out.
http://tarot-rc-heli.com/450-New-Des...lter_name=tail

Also take a look at the RJX head. It's much better than the Walkera head.
Those look sweet. you sure they will fit?
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM.