HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
You are learning some stuff.

Never ever "blow wind up some-ones" tail!

If you read the "National Transportation Flight Safety" database, you will see that a lot of helicopters in real life can not accept a wind up their A_S.

They end up going into the dirt/taxiway & what not.

You really need to look at that free database, to see how many stupid errors are made by people. Very few are a mechanical defect!

On a good note, I had a 4 out of 5 battery flight today without incident with 30 M.P.H. winds that were shifting in all compass directions.

On the 5th flight I heard a sound like something hit my main blades. My mistake, I didn't secure my battery monitor as well as I should have.

Damn thing got flicked off of the heli, I landed, thing the blades were FUBAR, But I had 5 young kids that knew me & they helped me find my monitor, & it still works & the blades are OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I hear you, I hope i can sell mine for a good price too. I still have to go get a good box to ship them in and everything. When i build the 450, it will be a brand new heli. I will probably just give it one test flight and stick it in the box my v450 came in. Hopefully a new, upgraded v450 with savox servos is worth something to someone. Since (hopefully) my problems ended up being the motor and not the RX. Maybe it won't be so bad just keeping 2 450s for now if they won't sell. I mean, i could always get the DFC head and swash or the FBL rotor head fits too. As long as they are still making the rest of the parts anyway and don't discontinue that for the V450d03 instead. But man, i still want an X5. I still don't feel like the v450 will really keep up. It's a good bigger size learner heli. But I'm really scared of blowing out a servo link from getting too aggressive or something. I'm surprised you haven't yet, being your using the align servos and v450 links too. Maybe the swash links just hold better than my blade 450 (long) links. I've been noticing that the v450 does not handle very well inverted also. It's fine. But i noticed in the wind yesterday even with the gyro up at %80 the tail was drifting and reacting stiffly to my inputs. But only inverted. I tried lower gyro and higher. It just was too windy and the v450 didn't like it, especially blowing up the tail.

I didn't make it out in the morning. It's so hot right now, but i might give it a shot anyway. Either way, you know i'll be out there later
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Hey! Have you ever flown a 30 size swash-plate heli before?

I just noticed something about you talking about the directions you input on the controls & they don't stay. Well with a swash-plate they don't stay either.

But, in my flight simulator, I have a model (FS 5.5) a Dominion 90 /flybarless & I see what you are saying, this thing will take my inputs & continue to stay in that attitude until I change it, even if I input gusting winds.

I think we were all fooled into thinking this is what we had in the Walkera V450.

We were wrong!

Quote:
Well, i think the 550 class helicopters have the best power output ratio for their size. I'm not positive on this. But i'm sure i read it somewhere. I need to be able to fit it in the back seat because the trunk has limited space. Maybe one day i will get a bigger heli. But i honestly don't feel the need for one. Bigger is not always better. I'm worried if i go too big the heli will feel slow and sluggish. Then i will have to dump loads of money into a 10 horse power motor and crazy servos that are $200 each. I mean, i could just go build a scale size helicopter drone ... That might be in my future instead. Maybe i can work for the government flying one of their 30,000 spy drones they have waiting to deploy here at home to spy on us. That would be a good job right?

Anyway, i only started flying CP helis in March with the D02 and 4f200. At this point i feel like all my helicopters are okay and fun to fly. But can't really keep up with me. The micros are cool for just flying around just whenever. But the big one to bring out to the field. Well i want that one to be fast, powerful and very reliable in the air with proper maintenance. The v450, it seems all i have been doing is maintenance, lol. Anyway the problem with going bigger is budget restriction. I feel a lot of my crashing "learning curve" is over with. So i'm not as worried about that anymore. But those 12S packs and giant blades are just to much of an expense to worry about when they go bad. I'm a little worried about the 6S packs actually. But now that i know the turnigy packs were not just suddenly dieing out i'm not as worried about spending $50 for each pack. After all that is how much Walkera tried to sucker all of us in for their 2200 3S packs. So it's almost like i'm not even spending anymore money for better batteries, if you think of it like that
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Whipped!
Totally...

You should see the depth of the thumb prints on my skull...

Young kids, wife who doesn't understand anything about flying things, lack of space, lack of transport and lack of places to fly...

I must have been nuts to start this hobby!

--- for the manual/tail curve --- I'll check again. Converting imgs to text... not easy. I tend in that case to use screen shots or resign to typing it out! (normally screen shots).

One other thing with the Devo 10, are you using telemetry to monitor the battery voltage? Or does the RX2703H-D not do that for you?

I noticed while flying my Ladybird back to back packs that the alert voltage was totally out on the third pack. Once I turned the TX off and back on it resumed normal measurement.
Most odd.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,382 Posts
I'm pretty sure PDF is a allowed attachment file type on this board.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
These are the two pages I can see about Tail Curve.
I can't see how to inhibit it completely, only inhibit points on the curve and set to zero in order that it doesn't have any effect.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:33 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
In (4.2) status should be inhibited. I am taking it that is the trick. But I would probably zero all points then inhibit it.

I tried to export out the pdf I had, but I didn't see a option to limit a page range. How did you manage that neat trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
These are the two pages I can see about Tail Curve.
I can't see how to inhibit it completely, only inhibit points on the curve and set to zero in order that it doesn't have any effect.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:46 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
No I don't have the telemetry module, I have a cheap plug-in that affixes to my balance lead connector.

I know my TX has the ability, but it looked like my RX2703H-D is only capable of accepting a plug-in telemetry module which accepts temp/gps/governor/voltage

So, how are you getting a voltage readout from your RX to your TX? Or did I miss that in my TX manual?

Yes, you were & still are nuts, no place to fly/transport/no family support. Time to take up golf as a hobby?

Quote:
Totally...

You should see the depth of the thumb prints on my skull...

Young kids, wife who doesn't understand anything about flying things, lack of space, lack of transport and lack of places to fly...

I must have been nuts to start this hobby!

--- for the manual/tail curve --- I'll check again. Converting imgs to text... not easy. I tend in that case to use screen shots or resign to typing it out! (normally screen shots).

One other thing with the Devo 10, are you using telemetry to monitor the battery voltage? Or does the RX2703H-D not do that for you?

I noticed while flying my Ladybird back to back packs that the alert voltage was totally out on the third pack. Once I turned the TX off and back on it resumed normal measurement.
Most odd.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:18 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
In (4.2) status should be inhibited. I am taking it that is the trick. But I would probably zero all points then inhibit it.

I tried to export out the pdf I had, but I didn't see a option to limit a page range. How did you manage that neat trick?
OK - so we're on the 'same page' as it were. The easy way to do that then is just to set L to 0 and H to 0 and then inhibit all the other points without any zeroing. Then, as a double safety, since you obviously don't trust the programmers... (I know developers... odd bunch! ) go back and set them all active - they will all pick up their value on the line between L and H (not their previously set value) which will be zero. Then you can either leave them active or go inhibit them - the result will be identical

Limiting page ranges in PDFs... I use PDF creator - a great program but be careful as the installer always wants to install a stupid bloody toolbar these days.
Basically, this is a Printer, but instead of paper out you get a PDF out.
Look it up on sourceforge.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:33 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
No I don't have the telemetry module, I have a cheap plug-in that affixes to my balance lead connector.

I know my TX has the ability, but it looked like my RX2703H-D is only capable of accepting a plug-in telemetry module which accepts temp/gps/governor/voltage

So, how are you getting a voltage readout from your RX to your TX? Or did I miss that in my TX manual?
So, I've been using it with everything in my now kind of large Walkera fleet... I was using it with the Ladybird when I noticed what I thought was a bug... but actually it was me.

I have a timer set and the telemetry voltage cut off on that memory - too many TX and too little time to fly and keep everything correctly set up! So what was happening was during my first 2 batteries the alarm would sound at 3.4V under load and under the 3rd it would still be up at 3.7/3.8 yet the alarm would go off.

It was only when I was sitting on the throne (pretty much the most peaceful place in my flat) when it dawned that it wasn't a bug but actually just doing it's 6 min timer job as I'd requested!

Quote:
Yes, you were & still are nuts, no place to fly/transport/no family support. Time to take up golf as a hobby?
Golf would be easier, there are plenty of driving ranges - often right next to where I fly! But, no thanks... I've got all the balls I need to have my fun. I shall persist with getting up stupidly early to avoid the world and especially security!

Tomorrow, rain is forecast between 7 and 8... looks like I flying at dawn (~5am) then!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,643 Posts
Hobby People has the Castle Ice 50 on sale for $69.
Still pricey, but I think it's worth the price.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ce-50-esc.html
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
You are correct, but I didn't have the Adobe creator so I could limit my page range to two pages. As thwaitm did... He is so smart!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure PDF is a allowed attachment file type on this board.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:33 PM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Well...I tested out for one flight this morning my zeroing out the tail curve. It went very well! I want to see it in a heavy wind though, as it would blow out a bit before the zeroing. When i tested in no wind, it was very responsive, more so than before.

Next point:
Voltage telemetry, I set it up & it all looked good, until I looked at the sensor screen, only to find out that it was "inhibited" Damn! I was so close I thought!

Same goes for "governor" it just skips over it on the menu, manual says set a device output, that didn't work worth a Damn either.

I am stuck with what I have now till I buy a added part, but I'm not going there. At least not right now, I just need a calm day & some gumption to flip that sucker inverted, then I'll feel better!

P.S.

It's been a bad day, my bathroom is being gutted & no toilet & I am staying in a Motel for three days just till they gut & re-install the toilet & shower.

This sucks! I'm here with my F--king parrot, the cat was supposed to come too but escaped inside the house. The Wife is right now trying find that cat (I couldn't find her) & the movies on TV suck! Oh also the wireless was a pisser to get running also.

The good of this all is I at least have a place to live for now & not listen to all of the noise!

Quote:
So, I've been using it with everything in my now kind of large Walkera fleet... I was using it with the Ladybird when I noticed what I thought was a bug... but actually it was me.

I have a timer set and the telemetry voltage cut off on that memory - too many TX and too little time to fly and keep everything correctly set up! So what was happening was during my first 2 batteries the alarm would sound at 3.4V under load and under the 3rd it would still be up at 3.7/3.8 yet the alarm would go off.

It was only when I was sitting on the throne (pretty much the most peaceful place in my flat) when it dawned that it wasn't a bug but actually just doing it's 6 min timer job as I'd requested!

Golf would be easier, there are plenty of driving ranges - often right next to where I fly! But, no thanks... I've got all the balls I need to have my fun. I shall persist with getting up stupidly early to avoid the world and especially security!

Tomorrow, rain is forecast between 7 and 8... looks like I flying at dawn (~5am) then!
Last edited by iflyhelis; Sep 18, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
You are correct, but I didn't have the Adobe creator so I could limit my page range to two pages. As thwaitm did... He is so smart!
Not smart - just cheap!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Well...I tested out for one flight this morning my zeroing out the tail curve. It went very well! I want to see it in a heavy wind though, as it would blow out a bit before the zeroing. When i tested in no wind, it was very responsive, more so than before.
That sounds positive. Hope after further testing you still like it.

Quote:
Next point:
Voltage telemetry, I set it up & it all looked good, until I looked at the sensor screen, only to find out that it was "inhibited" Damn! I was so close I thought!
Ah yes - TX does it but RX is not transmitting anything for the TX to display... I did wonder with this more separated setup vs the micro helis, LB and Hoten etc...

Quote:
Same goes for "governor" it just skips over it on the menu, manual says set a device output, that didn't work worth a Damn either.
Yep - need an additional sensor for that I'm pretty sure.

Quote:
I am stuck with what I have now till I buy a added part, but I'm not going there. At least not right now, I just need a calm day & some gumption to flip that sucker inverted, then I'll feel better!
Yep - good luck with that then!

Quote:

P.S.

It's been a bad day, my bathroom is being gutted & no toilet & I am staying in a Motel for three days just till they gut & re-install the toilet & shower.

This sucks! I'm here with my F--king parrot, the cat was supposed to come too but escaped inside the house. The Wife is right now trying find that cat (I couldn't find her) & the movies on TV suck! Oh also the wireless was a pisser to get running also.

The good of this all is I at least have a place to live for now & not listen to all of the noise!
Aahhh - hotel life... I know it from work, often it's not that bad of a hotel but it sure isn't home and when I can't get connected that's just frustrating as hell. Just think of how much better/nicer and that you won't have to think about it or have the other half saying... 'Stop playing with those damned toys and tell me when are we going to get that toilet bathroom shower done??'

Found that cat yet?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:57 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
The wind kicked up late yesterday but I was not one with my helicopter, it wasn't worth driving 30 miles in total to check it out. On Thursday we are supposed to be able to move back in, I should have a chance to fly then.

Yeah it looks like you need to buy a telemetry unit that hooks to the RX then the sensing unit that hooks to the telemetry. The GPS is a add on too. They want too much money for the limited things it will do, not worth it to me.

Yes, my Wife found the cat, so she is safe & sound Thank-You for asking.
The new cat carrier was defective & the door lock wouldn't stay locked due to some missing parts. So I returned it & got a different type with zippers, it is bigger & has a pop out side section like a crank out RV side section.

So, did you end up flying at 5:00 A.M. ?

Quote:
That sounds positive. Hope after further testing you still like it.

Ah yes - TX does it but RX is not transmitting anything for the TX to display... I did wonder with this more separated setup vs the micro helis, LB and Hoten etc...

Yep - need an additional sensor for that I'm pretty sure.

Yep - good luck with that then!

Aahhh - hotel life... I know it from work, often it's not that bad of a hotel but it sure isn't home and when I can't get connected that's just frustrating as hell. Just think of how much better/nicer and that you won't have to think about it or have the other half saying... 'Stop playing with those damned toys and tell me when are we going to get that toilet bathroom shower done??'

Found that cat yet?