Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:13 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
First of all, I'm glad you're OK.

Yeah, the 7200Bx is just a BeastX and integrated Spektrum RX. I hear no bad stories about them, and they make for a cleaner build. I use the standalone unit and love it. I actually like it as much as the VBar on my Logo. The BeastX is made in Germany, and like everything from Germany you can trust it to never let you down (Just look at Bosch, BMW, Mercedes, etc).

Don't be thinking about getting an X5, just do it.

You will have a constant "GauiGrin".

If and when you crash, you can only ever blame it on dumb thumbs as the electronics will never let you down.

The parts are also relatively cheap and well made with great tolerances too.

You made mention of 6s Lipos being expensive... But most of the Gaui lads I know get their packs from Hobbypartz (6s 4000mah) for around $60. http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace25c1.html
Yeah, you've pretty much pushed me off the fence i've been sitting on for awhile now. I just have to create the way to pay for it. That is the easy part! Ahh, the power of positive thinking combined with the universe's law of attraction. I should have a Gaui X5 in no time!

As for the batteries, i was fairly sure i was looking for 30+C packs at 5000 mAh for the X5? I suppose that is not so necessary? Perhaps i should go check out the Gaui Thread. I've been avoiding it because i can't afford the damn thing yet. Have to try and sell a few of these Walkeras first.

Thank you so much for your input and recommendations. The fact that i rarely have "dumb thumbs" unless i'm really trying something outside my comfort zone (at least at this stage in my flying) The fact that so many people are private messaging me and even publicly endorsing the X5 as the next direction i should go in for stability and peace of mind while flying is just about enough for me. I can't imagine there is a better helicopter available right now. Otherwise SOMEONE else would have mentioned it. I fell SAB got a bad rap for their tail boom clearance and that is creating some downplay in their quality and stability of repetitious flight. But i'm pretty sure even if they didn't have those issues Guai is looking better. The only thing i'm concerned about is that they have previsouly discontinued older helicopters. Walkera has a habit of making people buy their helicopter then a year or 3 later discontinue the heli and parts. If they are not discontinued they are almost impossible to find anymore. (like 2801-pro RX units for the v120 and "old" swash plates for the v450)

The next real challenge will be finding one in stock without the microbeast when it's time to order. Hopefully that should would out somehow. Seems like the full microbeast combo is more popular.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 08, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
DEVO 6 TX Issue

Anyone flying DEVO TX take note. If you reduce your stick friction with the adjustment screw and back it off to much, which will still generate stick friction, it will allow the adjustment slider in the TX to lower itself down enough to become a stop block for the gymbol which will give a positive lock to your stick at full throw causeing a crash.
Another super fine engineering idea.
I have gotten to the point with my flying that I felt the stick friction was to high so in reducing it to the point where it felt great to me, the stick locked hard over because of the adjustment.
So.....whats a better TX manufacturer?

Pissed Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Sep 08, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:14 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Yeah, you've pretty much pushed me off the fence i've been sitting on for awhile now. I just have to create the way to pay for it. That is the easy part! Ahh, the power of positive thinking combined with the universe's law of attraction. I should have a Gaui X5 in no time!

As for the batteries, i was fairly sure i was looking for 30+C packs at 5000 mAh for the X5? I suppose that is not so necessary? Perhaps i should go check out the Gaui Thread. I've been avoiding it because i can't afford the damn thing yet. Have to try and sell a few of these Walkeras first.

Thank you so much for your input and recommendations. The fact that i rarely have "dumb thumbs" unless i'm really trying something outside my comfort zone (at least at this stage in my flying) The fact that so many people are private messaging me and even publicly endorsing the X5 as the next direction i should go in for stability and peace of mind while flying is just about enough for me. I can't imagine there is a better helicopter available right now. Otherwise SOMEONE else would have mentioned it. I fell SAB got a bad rap for their tail boom clearance and that is creating some downplay in their quality and stability of repetitious flight. But i'm pretty sure even if they didn't have those issues Guai is looking better. The only thing i'm concerned about is that they have previsouly discontinued older helicopters. Walkera has a habit of making people buy their helicopter then a year or 3 later discontinue the heli and parts. If they are not discontinued they are almost impossible to find anymore. (like 2801-pro RX units for the v120 and "old" swash plates for the v450)

The next real challenge will be finding one in stock without the microbeast when it's time to order. Hopefully that should would out somehow. Seems like the full microbeast combo is more popular.
Yeah, I hear you buddy.

Incidentally, due to being shafted with buying Walkera's in the past (short shelf life making them into nothing but an ornament).. Concerned about shelling out a small fortune, I eMailed Gaui about possible obsoletion of the X5 and they replied;
We don't plan on discontinuing the X5 anytime soon.
They made it clear that it was their best selling model, and the first X5 going back to around late 2009 (flybar) uses many of the same spares as the latest X5 FES (FBL).
This quick reply, compounded with the great reviews just made me pull the trigger.

On a similar note; I have a few Walkera birds here.
I have a Genius which was overtaken by the Mini CP after only about 6 Months and a V400d02 which is getting more difficult to get spares for.

My days with Walkera are probably expired, but they do have this habit of knocking up some great lookers that lure me in. I just need to hold back now.

Come and join us over on the Gaui X5 forum over on HF.. There are some great Lads on there, and they all rave about the X5.. It's not like they're biased either, as many of them have Compasses, Goblin's, Aligns, Mikado and all other brands.

I can't praise the X5 enough, and I'll bet you're all sick of me droning on about it. Lol.

Here is the X5 forum; http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Anyone flying DEVO TX take note. If you reduce your stick friction with the adjustment screw and back it off to much, which will still generate stick friction, it will allow the adjustment slider in the TX to lower itself down enough to become a stop block for the gymbol which will give a positive lock to your stick at full throw causeing a crash.
Another super fine engineering idea.
I have gotten to the point with my flying that I felt the stick friction was to high so in reducing it to the point where it felt great to me, the stick locked hard over because of the adjustment.
So.....whats a better TX manufacturer?

Pissed Viking
Personally i'm going with Spectrum. The DX6 is sufficent but your not going to have any gear switches or anything. Futaba is also top notch, if you can afford them. They actually did touch screen correctly! Not like WK. I've never felt the need to adjust my sticks but i have had to replace a few switches on my 2801

Something to keep note of for when you do get a new TX. Walkera's throttle hold and idle up switches are backwards and in reversed positions from all the rest. You'll need to reprogram you muscle memory for TH bailouts and things. I once flew a friends align 450 and i THed the thing instead of idel up... Its a good thing it had a good AR system and i didn't crash the thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Yeah, I hear you buddy.

Incidentally, due to being shafted with buying Walkera's in the past (short shelf life making them into nothing but an ornament).. Concerned about shelling out a small fortune, I eMailed Gaui about possible obsoletion of the X5 and they replied;
We don't plan on discontinuing the X5 anytime soon.
They made it clear that it was their best selling model, and the first X5 going back to around late 2009 (flybar) uses many of the same spares as the latest X5 FES (FBL).
This quick reply, compounded with the great reviews just made me pull the trigger.

On a similar note; I have a few Walkera birds here.
I have a Genius which was overtaken by the Mini CP after only about 6 Months and a V400d02 which is getting more difficult to get spares for.

My days with Walkera are probably expired, but they do have this habit of knocking up some great lookers that lure me in. I just need to hold back now.

Come and join us over on the Gaui X5 forum over on HF.. There are some great Lads on there, and they all rave about the X5.. It's not like they're biased either, as many of them have Compasses, Goblin's, Aligns, Mikado and all other brands.

I can't praise the X5 enough, and I'll bet you're all sick of me droning on about it. Lol.

Here is the X5 forum; http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236
Believe me, at this point... I never get tired of hearing people dog WK. I can't get tired of you droning on about it because i'm reading and looking at the pictured everyday. watching videos. I mean, i'm addicted and SO tired of not trusting my equipment that i just cant even stomach to go out flying anymore. The little v120s are so cool. They are the best thing WK ever did. But they don't perform up to extreme 3d standards. So they get boring, even with upgraded motors. I like being able to just fart around in my driveway with them but it's so much more fun at the field even with those little ones. So Gaui X5 here i come. I might be stuck building it from parts incrementally though. We'll see.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:23 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Oh yeah, i was examining all of my BRAND NEW XT60 connectors. Some of which were still in the bag. This picture is actually one of the ones on my batteries. ALL of them were showing visual signs of oxidation and black gunk from it. I used a electrical contact lubricator spray i had laying around to try and clean them since i don't seem to have any regular contact cleaner. It took most of the black oxidation and corrosion away. This was the best shot i could get. For a brand new battery with only a hand full of flights on it it's pretty damn black in there already. It's not really even possible to clean these very well. There is too much shrouded area on the male side to really see or get any kind of swab or anything in there to wipe up. Still no deans plugs either. That means i have to wait till who knows when next week. I might have to place another order at this rate.

Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:26 PM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Yak!

You guys are making me paranoid now. I have two places to buy parts, 1 US 1 HK. So it looks like I need to buy up all of their stock? So I can keep flying for the next year now!

And I thought Walkera was a new & upcoming company. I think I'll go back to my Gasser!
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:39 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Yak!

You guys are making me paranoid now. I have two places to buy parts, 1 US 1 HK. So it looks like I need to buy up all of their stock? So I can keep flying for the next year now!

And I thought Walkera was a new & upcoming company. I think I'll go back to my Gasser!
No, no.. Your fine. You have the "New v450d01". I'm sure parts will becoming available for them in many US vendors soon. I just don't want to get the new hardware. It's not worth the extra money in repairs for me. They are double the cost of the old parts, so far as i have seen at h e l i p a l. Who will ship your parts to you quickly. I'm just not going to use them for an actual helicopter anymore. They are okay. But soon, i'm sure some people will pick them up. Walkera has actually been around for a while now. They are only just now getting decent, and most people have nightmares about their v120d05, 4f200 and others. The helicopters are all very legit after some work. The new v450 looks like the mechanics are probably improved in the rotor head. Maybe. But over all i don't know about that RX. Otherwise the v450 is a great beginner 450. Meaning for basic flight, orientation training, nothing too aggressive. Because the stock equipment runs so hot, you have to be careful how far you push. Also, depending on how high the outside air temperature is, that could bring down your heli if your not careful. My motor had a lot to do with my stock ESC issues. The thing just draws too much power i think. You should be fine flying yours for at least 2 years. Depending on what direction Walkera goes. But with Walkera, that is always the question. They are not very interested in keeping existing customers. It's all about hooking new comers for them. So the "New V450" should have at least 3 years of parts supply on the way. But, don't be surprised if they release, in 6 months, a "NEW, NEW, COOLER THAN THE LAST, BUT STILL THE SAME THING V450" with a upgraded 6.1 axis gyro and auto pilot mode that will always land your helicopter for you "safely"... (hint, it's going to make you crash!) lol.

Connectors BE DAMNED!! i'm going to fly the 450 today! I almost died yesterday.... Who cares what happens to this thing.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:32 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Good to see you back 711!
Kick it inverted integirty! Raining here so video would be nice !
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Heli Biggie; Sep 08, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:22 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Well , i couldnt wait to fly so i went out, my field is only 30 seconds away , unless there is traffic lol, m 1st turnigy pack was fine , i flew the pants off her. The next turnigy battery seemed to make the heli tail twitch , this scared me cause of my last bad wreck, the tail wobble of death l so could this align servo be going out or was it the battery that has a bit higher punch rate. It seemed to go away after a few minutes of taking it easy, it wasnt a bad twitch but i took it easy. What else could it be? There is a little tail pitch play. Maybe its all in my head but it was getting very dark and i wasnt going to test another battery. I hope for noe rain tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
I flew a pack today that was "bad" and it flew fine. I flew a pack today that was "good" and it shut down. I only got 3 flights today. 3rd flight it shut down again. Even after cleaning contacts and checking all the wires and other equipment for heat after each flight. Nothing was running hot. The motor wires, the battery plug. The ESC all pretty cool. The motor gets a little warm. So instead of rebuilding this one. I'm going to begin building the second one tonight. The second one will be a whole new helicopter. New motor, ESC, RX. So it should fly good. It will also have a new set of savox servos. I will be selling it to begin funding the X5 project. Along with a very nice little 200 project i've been working on in "secret" over here.

So i shot a video last night about how i straighten my main rotor shafts. I'm not sure if anyone should ever really be doing this. But I personally have never had a issue with using them, at least not since installing the savox servos. What do you guys think? I hesitated to post it for this reason.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Quote:
I flew a pack today that was "bad" and it flew fine. I flew a pack today that was "good" and it shut down. I only got 3 flights today. 3rd flight it shut down again. Even after cleaning contacts and checking all the wires and other equipment for heat after each flight. Nothing was running hot. The motor wires, the battery plug. The ESC all pretty cool. The motor gets a little warm. So instead of rebuilding this one. I'm going to begin building the second one tonight. The second one will be a whole new helicopter. New motor, ESC, RX. So it should fly good. It will also have a new set of savox servos. I will be selling it to begin funding the X5 project. Along with a very nice little 200 project i've been working on in "secret" over here.

So i shot a video last night about how i straighten my main rotor shafts. I'm not sure if anyone should ever really be doing this. But I personally have never had a issue with using them, at least not since installing the savox servos. What do you guys think? I hesitated to post it for this reason.

Integrity,
You know I straighten both the V450 and M120 main shafts when they get tweaked.
Never had an issue, they always ran true after the rework.
You can always say that in doing so we weaken the shaft which I would agree with dependant on the amount of the original bend.
What I am talking about a slight bend that sets up a small vibration in the head or swashplate personally I see no problem with that but as as always IMO.

Viking
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:57 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Now thats crazy. The tech in me wants you to replace one part at a time to see which one fixes the problem.

Quote:

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:12 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Now thats crazy. The tech in me wants you to replace one part at a time to see which one fixes the problem.
Yeah, but.... i'm tired of crashing the same v450... i want to crash a NEW one now.

Seriously, maybe your right. I might just drop in the CopterX motor on this bird and see what happens. I probably should have just waited till i got the deans connectors so i could absolutely rule them out. But i just couldn't stand not flying anymore. So i just went. So now it's like i have to crash it again if i replace the motor only and it's the connectors the whole time. Otherwise i have to install the deans and possibly crash again because it was the motor! Oh, life is good. At least i have something to do besides watch TV. I hate feeling unproductive.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:23 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Integrity,
You know I straighten both the V450 and M120 main shafts when they get tweaked.
Never had an issue, they always ran true after the rework.
You can always say that in doing so we weaken the shaft which I would agree with dependant on the amount of the original bend.
What I am talking about a slight bend that sets up a small vibration in the head or swashplate personally I see no problem with that but as as always IMO.

Viking

it's also possible under some conditions that hardening will occur. This can be good or bad. Because harder is also more brittle and likely to fracture. I'm pretty sure they are just some cheap tin mixture alloy. It's not very good whatever it is. So i'll go ahead and upload the video. It's based around the v450 shaft. There are a few ways to tell if the shaft is straight again. I didn't go over a lot of stuff i wanted to in the video. But it's the basic deal. Some of these shafts you just can't get back to 100%. But i've had them with just a slight wobble fly pretty straight with these servos. Vibes can be dangerous though. Usually i only see them in the spool up as it speeds up though to top speed. But micro vibes will still exist from the slight off center. I actually attempted to straighten a rather well bent shaft in this video. With enough time i usually get even a curved shaft back pretty close.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Quote:
it's also possible under some conditions that hardening will occur. This can be good or bad. Because harder is also more brittle and likely to fracture. I'm pretty sure they are just some cheap tin mixture alloy. It's not very good whatever it is. So i'll go ahead and upload the video. It's based around the v450 shaft. There are a few ways to tell if the shaft is straight again. I didn't go over a lot of stuff i wanted to in the video. But it's the basic deal. Some of these shafts you just can't get back to 100%. But i've had them with just a slight wobble fly pretty straight with these servos. Vibes can be dangerous though. Usually i only see them in the spool up as it speeds up though to top speed. But micro vibes will still exist from the slight off center. I actually attempted to straighten a rather well bent shaft in this video. With enough time i usually get even a curved shaft back pretty close.
Agreed,
To many "adjustments" is not good and could make the shaft brittle.