HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Thanks ViperZ, I got the same idea but I have read in some forum that they are using some screw to hold it on top of the heli instead of the just placing it there. These are very good pics.
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:48 PM
mSR,120SR,4G6S,UFLYS,1#A, v450d
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
You almost got it. You take the small rotor stopper disc off and use the same screw to attach the faux flybar tool. You can use any straight 2mm rod (a flybar for example) but I used my 1.5mm spare for the 1#A and it worked fine. You can even leave it on and fly with it while testing as long as it's tight on there. Then you can use it for inverted blade scrapes and landings.

I was surprised that Walkera didn't include a rod. Assuming that everybody would have a 450 class spare flybar... the nerve.

Btw, how are your servo arms looking at mid stick? I had to use some subtrim to get mine at 90 at mid stick.
kutyafal is offline Find More Posts by kutyafal
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:31 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,561 Posts
Put the origional landing gear back on

I also added some decals I googled off the internet and printed them using Office Depot Inkjet Bumper Stickers paper. I think they look pretty good; they peel off easily but stay put during flight. Just cut 'em out and stick 'em on. I made DANGER arrows for both sides as well as the Coast Guard insignia.

I also have some stobe lighting coming from RC Aerodyne.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:50 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
^^^^ Looks Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
Thanks ViperZ, I got the same idea but I have read in some forum that they are using some screw to hold it on top of the heli instead of the just placing it there. These are very good pics.
Yes, you were right, I thought that a screw to hold it down would be better as well, but I thought I would just try it. I will take steps to do something like that next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post
You almost got it. You take the small rotor stopper disc off and use the same screw to attach the faux flybar tool. You can use any straight 2mm rod (a flybar for example) but I used my 1.5mm spare for the 1#A and it worked fine. You can even leave it on and fly with it while testing as long as it's tight on there. Then you can use it for inverted blade scrapes and landings.

I was surprised that Walkera didn't include a rod. Assuming that everybody would have a 450 class spare flybar... the nerve.

Btw, how are your servo arms looking at mid stick? I had to use some subtrim to get mine at 90 at mid stick.

Once again, great stuff Kutyafal! I was wondering the same thing regarding inclusion of the bar... You know, funny you should ask about the servo arms at mid stick. I thought they pointed downward just very slightly mid stick. I though OK to leave it for now as they looked the same....

So the hovering session, was mildly a success.. This is the first time out with a CP heli, and the first time with something bigger than a mSR

I was able to hover it OK, and actually fly it around a bit. Not so much as flying it around as in deliberate patterns, more so just to keep it in check and not have it run away from me. Or rotating rudder and aiming it back my way as I played around.

One thing I found was happening during hovers where it was just a foot or 2 off the ground, the heli would drift to the left, making me add right aileron to compensate. This was unnerving, yet satisfying in that it felt very controllable, but I sure was nervous! At chat at my local hobby dealer afterward, he told me with FBL systems, you have to commit to the hover, take it off the ground and let the gyros establish orientation before you give it any cyclic commands. "Keep your hands off the right stick for a bit" he told me... I seemed to have read this somewhere as well I think.. Is this correct? Is this why it was drifting left? When I tried adding a bit of trim on the TX, I noticed it fixed it somewhat, but now tilted the heli to the right, and it still drifted left in the end....

In the end, the day came to an end when i landed a bit harder than planned. A loud pop came from the bird. Nothing serious, a broken left front cowl (it's still winter here), and the aluminum skid where the training gear was attached snapped off.

It would have been nice to come home unscathed, but I got a feel for it, and the cost is insignificant to the learning to fly today. My buddy on the other hand piled his Blade SR head first into the ground.. That hurt! He's going to need many more parts
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:04 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Some photos from yesterday

Some friends and I decided it was time to learn, enough of this indoor crash, lets do it outside.

This is the first time flying those little Blades outside, they were having trouble when the wind would pick up. We just walked down the lot with them as the wind took them. My mSR actually shorted out and died with a puff of smoke due to getting wet from all the snow. I though I would just buy a new one to replace it as it would not power on the few time I tried it last night. It was not until this morning when i was ready to press submit on my order of a new one, that I decided to try it one more time. Zzzztt! She came to life. I suppose it really had to dry

The V450 is a mchine to be sure! I love the way it sounds and feels. I can;t wait to get better at it... I just hope it doesn't cost me a lot
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:42 PM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
My mSR actually shorted out and died with a puff of smoke due to getting wet from all the snow. I though I would just buy a new one to replace it as it would not power on the few time I tried it last night.
You DO want to buy a new one, just not another mSR. Check out the new mCP X. That bird will be a runaway success! Somebody take my wallet and hide it!!!

Btw, I do add a bit of right stick with my v450 as I felt it needs it on take-off and never did it give me any trouble. Of course you can always just punch right out and not mess about close to the ground you know. No, really, it does work! Just pop it.. but gently of course.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:47 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
You DO want to buy a new one, just not another mSR. Check out the new mCP X. That bird will be a runaway success! Somebody take my wallet and hide it!!!

Btw, I do add a bit of right stick with my v450 as I felt it needs it on take-off and never did it give me any trouble. Of course you can always just punch right out and not mess about close to the ground you know. No, really, it does work! Just pop it.. but gently of course.
Yes I should have just relaxed a bit more while flying. I was too tense after seeing my buddy crash his SR

Ha, Ha You are right! I do want a mCP X as well, however I have too much invested into my mSR (spare parts, batteries and upgrades) to abandon it I'm glad it came back to life

So do you thnik the mCP X is the play over the M120D01? I've been humming and hawing over that one for a bit....
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:06 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
So do you thnik the mCP X is the play over the M120D01? I've been humming and hawing over that one for a bit....
Without getting off-topic too much, yes:

James mCPX-2.wmv (3 min 18 sec)
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:43 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,561 Posts
Maiden flight with the V450 in an A109 body. I was frankly so nervous during the flight that I was trembling, so don't expect too much. I can't blame the jitters on the 68 degree South Florida weather, and there was merely a slight breeze. Hey I'm taking it slow with this one. I'm just getting back into the 450 class after some bad experiences with my last 450, which never would work right. Sorry the wheels won't retract but I have some new ones ordered.
Maiden Flight Flybarless V450D01 in A109 Fuselage (2 min 40 sec)
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Feb 14, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:56 PM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
667 Posts
I ordered this motor and pinion set to try:

Turnigy Typhoon 450H Brushless Heli Motor 3800Kv - T-REX 450 V1/V2/PRO/SPORT

Rhino Gears Ultra Hardened Steel Pinions 0.5M / 3.17mm Shaft (11T, 12T, 13T) - T-REX 450 / Outrage G5

I'm happy to report that the stock Walkera ESC soft low voltage cut-off actually works pretty good. I can hear the motor speed slowing down then I land. Checked voltage after the pack rested and at 3.4 volts. Don't think I need to get a different ESC for this one. Man this thing is neat but dangerous. Sounds like a locomotive in the living room.
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:28 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Without getting off-topic too much, yes:

Ha, Ha, that is so awesome! I was wanting another Walkera so I could use my WK-2801 with it... Oh well, we all have to upgrade some time
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:11 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Maiden flight with the V450 in an A109 body. I was frankly so nervous during the flight that I was trembling, so don't expect too much. I can't blame the jitters on the 68 degree South Florida weather, and there was merely a slight breeze. Hey I'm taking it slow with this one. I'm just getting back into the 450 class after some bad experiences with my last 450, which never would work right. Sorry the wheels won't retract but I have some new ones ordered.
Looks nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch1100 View Post
I ordered this motor and pinion set to try:
Let us know how it works out
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:35 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Can anybody tell me what type of battery connectors the V450D01 is using?

Bullet, Banana, size...?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:20 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Can anybody tell me what type of battery connectors the V450D01 is using?

Bullet, Banana, size...?
Banana 3.5mm.... The newer ones are 4mm (ones on the after market batteries)......
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor