HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:43 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Just a FYI.. I bought my 550 heli and it came with Deans installed.

The Deans had only been used around a dozen times, and my ESC would shut down (I quickly learnt how to do Autorotations without sim time, believe me) every one in 3 flights within seconds, or 1 minute if I was lucky.

Now, my X5 (550 size near enough) draws around 70-80A, so this could of had something to do with it, but when I changed to Traxxas connectors (beefy 100A things) the ESC never cut off prematurely again.

A few of us on the Gaui forum over at HF have had the same problem with crappy Deans terminations.

Start at your Lipo connection, then work your way up..

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

PS- Here is an interesting read on just how good or bad most commonly used connectors are; http://www.giantshark.co.uk/forum/vi...p?f=121&t=1486
You know what! Huge help, really! I've actually been considering using the Traxxas connectors ever since i got this heli. I just always thought they were over kill and too bulky. I have checked out a few of my packs and they always seem well soldered at the top of the pack. They use a PCB to series all of the batteries and then have nice fat lead wires coming off to the XT60 connectors (turnigy packs). They always seemed very well made for how much i was paying. I just hate cutting open the wrapper for no reason. Meh, it makes them lighter anyway right? LOL. So thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Motor & RX the only two things that have been replaced, oxidation on the RX channel pins is unlikely. Unless you are only losing contact with the ESC but still have control over the flight cyclic. Just unplugging all of the channel connectors & re-seating them 4-5 times will scrape off any oxidation.

When I worked on large mainframe computers for Honeywell, if we got a glitch on one of our system boards (around 60) we would unplug & re-seat because the gold contacts (256 of them) would oxidize, it would happen every few months.

You live in a very high humidity area & there is a good chance that could be giving you some problems. But how come only your 450?

I say swap out your 2702 RX & see if that solves the problem.

I bet that the person you bought the 450 from had his problems with it also.
To answer a previous question, yes 4 ESC on this helicopter so far. But 3 of them were stock WK 40A ESC. Others have reported this motor burning the stock one out.

Also, yes i could be experiencing a Oxidation issue with my motor pins and battery pins on my v120. The prologed output for 3d is not as long as it used to be. I have always just replaced the ESC figuring the solder joints were separating from heating and cooling and all the other things thermal expansion does to electronic components. ej189 stongly disagrees with me and thinks that it is 100% oxidation on the contacts combined with high friction resistance inside the heli mechanics. So, it's a possibility of an issue. Though i have reseated the damn things like 100 times. Savox servo plugs are very tight for some reason too.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
LMAO!!
Yeah, well you had me totally stumped. Especially after the comparison with the M120.
The main thing is that you got it sorted out!!

When are you going to be getting familiar with YouTube then?
When I can create something artistic...just learning to draw you know.
When I have something worth while I'll post it, I am worried about the trees making the ship difficult to see in video.
I could get a shot of the V450 sitting on the ground running, than quickly pan to the trees and swing the camera back and forth and say..."there was a tic toc now for the hurricane, now the loop"... then pan back to the V sitting on the ground spooling down.
Think anyone would notice.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,395 Posts
Glitch

Integrity,
How are your esc and servo wires run, could they be causeing your electrical shut down?

Viking
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:41 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Integrity,
How are your esc and servo wires run, could they be causeing your electrical shut down?

Viking
My ESC and servo wires are separated and ran down opposite sides of the helicopter. The ESC does have a ferrite ring. The ESC wire has been ran with an attempt at isolation to avoid crosstalk between the ESC and servo wires. I then bundle all the servo wires and tie wrap them. Then stuff them between the frame or tie wrap them down next to the RX on the frame as shown here:

So... Today i had my worst equipment failure in many years. I almost died today, literally. Coming off the I-95 off ramp to my house doing 85 mph around a corner my drivers side (and drive axle) wheel blew out! Everything slowed down immediately, kind of like a real life matrix. I immediately grabbed the wheel with one hand and the emergency break with the other.... It should come as no surprise to anyone here that i have some experience with off roading in Florida sand. Even in my little accord . Since the tire blew out going around a fairly sharp corner on a off ramp i immediately went right into the grass and began fishtailing from one side of the road i managed to ski clear accross to the other side while "holding my tail" with the e-brake in one hand and the wheel in the other i managed to bring the car to a halt before it turned and flipped on me. It was actually kind of fun. The kind of thing you typically would only get to do in the movies and still walk away. I fully realize the possibilities that were in effect at the time. That just makes the experience that much more fun and an excellent story! If i could so call it an accident... Which i can't in good conscience because there was no damage to anything but the ground and my tire. But if it were, it would have been my 13th car accident. Only 4 were my fault. The rest i was riding shot gun. Mine were mostly rear ends while looking at T&A on Daytona beach for spring break or something. I don't know, either someone or something is looking out for me or else i'm just that lucky. But no one can say i don't enjoy life, thats for sure...My only regret is not having someone behind me film the whole thing! HAHA... Here is a picture of the stopping point on the ground.. Kind of crazy.

Little closer view.. check out how deep i dug in once came to a stop. The right side of the car lifted about a foot.

Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:27 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Well saved! Did you flick THRHOLD too? No auto-rotations or flips... which in that circumstance can only be a good thing!!
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,395 Posts
Integrity,
You are going to have to start wearing your head camera at all times, you could produce your own reality show.
Glad your OK, nice to have a smooth wide.clear area to slid into, you couldn't have picked a better spot.

Viking
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:18 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Integrity,
You are going to have to start wearing your head camera at all times, you could produce your own reality show.
Glad your OK, nice to have a smooth wide.clear area to slid into, you couldn't have picked a better spot.

Viking
You know what..... I just had an idea... That area sure has a fairly large clearing very close to my house on the way home... I wonder if hwy patrol will care

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Well saved! Did you flick THRHOLD too? No auto-rotations or flips... which in that circumstance can only be a good thing!!
I think my emergency brake could be considered something of a THRHOLD switch.. Man, i'm just glad the tire didn't blow out anywhere before 10 seconds from then. I would have been in a pack of traffic moving 90 mph (145km/h)
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:38 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Just a FYI.. I bought my 550 heli and it came with Deans installed.

The Deans had only been used around a dozen times, and my ESC would shut down (I quickly learnt how to do Autorotations without sim time, believe me) every one in 3 flights within seconds, or 1 minute if I was lucky.

Now, my X5 (550 size near enough) draws around 70-80A, so this could of had something to do with it, but when I changed to Traxxas connectors (beefy 100A things) the ESC never cut off prematurely again.

A few of us on the Gaui forum over at HF have had the same problem with crappy Deans terminations.

Start at your Lipo connection, then work your way up..

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

PS- Here is an interesting read on just how good or bad most commonly used connectors are; http://www.giantshark.co.uk/forum/vi...p?f=121&t=1486
I just got a chance to look though your link to the battery connector research. It's very interesting and a valuable reference point with those amperage and impedance charts for all the plugs. BUT, it looks like JST XT60 are not reviewed. I did read about the guy having issues with the DEANS plugs. To be honest, i have always been concerned that the leaf springs on the deans plugs might become a eventual problem too. One of the main reasons i never wanted them in the first place. Also, they seem very easy to just slide apart from vibration and hanging loose off the side of the heli & ESC. Thats only speculation, since i have not actually used them. But i had a set that, to me, was very easy to insert and remove. Too Easy even. Thats why when my V450 came with XT60 connectors, after doing some research, i settled in on those. It helped that Turnigy batteries come with the yellow XT60 connectors on them already too, saving me time and work.

The Deans should be here any time now, i hope. I don't even know if they were shipped yet. Same with the new TX and RX i just purchased. I think i like the Traxxas plugs more. I may have to find a cheap place to make a bulk order of at least 10X of both sides. Any reference to a spot would be helpful, thanks.

Also what do you think about getting the X5 kit without the microbeast, but instead using a AR7200BX unit instead. My thinking is this will lighten the load and just be a cleaner setup with less wires running around. I've been wanting to get that RX for a while now, just for whatever heli it makes it into. But if the microbeast is vastly superior thats the way i want to go. I have a feeling it's basically all the same.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 07, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:30 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
sorry about your car wreck, we are all glad your ok! fly over tires spots before they go away . i have wrecked a ninja636 going 80 mph doing a tank wheelie , and lived , that my story! xmas eve lol. im stuppid.

walkera v450d01 3d sept 7 2012 (5 min 10 sec)

here is a flight from today , 2 other new flights of 600 on youtube ninja636king, sub now lol
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:37 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
The Traxxaas TYPE connectors are available at HobbyKing and the reviews are good. No difference functionally between them and the genuine article.

As long as you remember to use the shrouded side for the battery you should be fine!!
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:44 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
sorry about your car wreck, we are all glad your ok! fly over tires spots before they go away . i have wrecked a ninja636 going 80 mph doing a tank wheelie , and lived , that my story! xmas eve lol. im stuppid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCYOm...ature=youtu.be

here is a flight from today , 2 other new flights of 600 on youtube ninja636king, sub now lol

Thank you, thank you all! It's nice to know people don't want you dead .

Hey! The tick tock! lol... One day my v450 might be as stable as yours is. Maybe.

I noticed when you were landing that your missing something buddy. Why not get a set of these to match you up! I have been using the white ones for a while now and they are very durable in a crash. Only used 2 sets so far since i've owned the heli. Unfortunately i can't find anymore Fusuno white 450 tail blades. They glow in the dark too, you know? Cheap also. Wish i could find more! But they have these and some other colors too i think still available:

I have not flown anything for like a week. Pretty bad over here. Before long the DTs will set in i think. Shakes, vomiting, cold and hot flashes. If i don't fly soon i might not make it! Lol.

My heli is basically ready to fly. But i don't know if i really want to chance flying again with these same connectors.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 08, 2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:04 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Good to see the V450 thread isnt dead!
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:02 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Look back a few pages & you will see I sent two links & it talks about all of the connectors. Also, if you read real close the Deans that had the problems were knock-offs not the real Deans connectors.

On reading some of your posts here I found a reference of you stating that you put your V450 in the car with the air conditioning running & the vents blowing directly on it. Do you do this for all of your helicopters between flights?

I ask this because that cold air dropping the temperature down on the heli, could be causing you a condensation problem when you bring it back outside in your humid air in Florida. Like when you wear glasses/sunglasses & step out of a cold car, the glasses instantly fog up, enough to form water droplets if it is humid enough. I am sure all of the electronics don't care for that.

Hey! Nice pictures of your really close call! That deepest track could have flipped you over if you had been sliding sideways to it. You were very lucky to come out of that one without injury. I'm glad you are still around to help us keep this thread going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I just got a chance to look though your link to the battery connector research. It's very interesting and a valuable reference point with those amperage and impedance charts for all the plugs. BUT, it looks like JST XT60 are not reviewed. I did read about the guy having issues with the DEANS plugs. To be honest, i have always been concerned that the leaf springs on the deans plugs might become a eventual problem too. One of the main reasons i never wanted them in the first place. Also, they seem very easy to just slide apart from vibration and hanging loose off the side of the heli & ESC. Thats only speculation, since i have not actually used them. But i had a set that, to me, was very easy to insert and remove. Too Easy even. Thats why when my V450 came with XT60 connectors, after doing some research, i settled in on those. It helped that Turnigy batteries come with the yellow XT60 connectors on them already too, saving me time and work.

The Deans should be here any time now, i hope. I don't even know if they were shipped yet. Same with the new TX and RX i just purchased. I think i like the Traxxas plugs more. I may have to find a cheap place to make a bulk order of at least 10X of both sides. Any reference to a spot would be helpful, thanks.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:22 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
Nice flight I'll look at the ones on YouTube too. I am subscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:25 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post

Also what do you think about getting the X5 kit without the microbeast, but instead using a AR7200BX unit instead. My thinking is this will lighten the load and just be a cleaner setup with less wires running around. I've been wanting to get that RX for a while now, just for whatever heli it makes it into. But if the microbeast is vastly superior thats the way i want to go. I have a feeling it's basically all the same.
First of all, I'm glad you're OK.

Yeah, the 7200Bx is just a BeastX and integrated Spektrum RX. I hear no bad stories about them, and they make for a cleaner build. I use the standalone unit and love it. I actually like it as much as the VBar on my Logo. The BeastX is made in Germany, and like everything from Germany you can trust it to never let you down (Just look at Bosch, BMW, Mercedes, etc).

Don't be thinking about getting an X5, just do it.

You will have a constant "GauiGrin".

If and when you crash, you can only ever blame it on dumb thumbs as the electronics will never let you down.

The parts are also relatively cheap and well made with great tolerances too.

You made mention of 6s Lipos being expensive... But most of the Gaui lads I know get their packs from Hobbypartz (6s 4000mah) for around $60. http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace25c1.html
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Sep 08, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)