HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:25 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I think this is one of the big differences between IHWK and the rest of us!

I'm just wishing there was something I could do to calm him down and try to get him a chance to have something reliable. I honestly don't think the V450 is as bad as he makes out in his last paragraph (post #2950). I don't fly mine anywhere near as much or as hard so maybe I have yet to find out but part of the problem is that his expectations and the airframe don't match. My concern for the future would be that he gets an X5/SAB and pushes them too hard when he knows that he has a failing ball joint, power issue.

You can blame the crap quality of the OEM stuff to a point but you still have to take responsibility for fixing it properly before expecting to fly it like Alan Szabo Jr. or one of his contemporaries.

The servos of the V450 suck - I had one die in the box - I replaced them (finally).
The ESC, is maybe OK, maybe not, I replaced mine with a higher spec item.
My batteries, nanotechs, mainly, and honestly, the rest, it's maybe not the worlds best but given that it's only a $500 (A)RTF Heli it's adequate.

If you really want to get into hardcore 3D, then I don't think you can trust an RTF. You have to build it from a kit and then you know what goes into it, what might be it's weak parts and where you have redundancy.
Doing tick-tocks with this V450, it's possible, but how long/how many packs before something lets go or shows significant wear/damage.

It's just like when guys snap wings off their planks because they enter a dive with full throttle and the main wing spar folds as they go to pull out with full elevator... you have to understand what the airframe can withstand. Getting all frustrated with the 'quality' of the parts is pointless.

It's like taking a good screwdriver and then bitching about the fact that it's a really crap chisel!
Oh, if only the v450 EVER operated to an extent that i would have even came close to ATTEMPTING a tick tock... Because i never have on the v450... Most of the time i was worried that pitch pumping it would bring the motor and cyclic off line again.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:25 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,803 Posts
So IHWK, I understand where you are coming from, we have two different styles but I trust you when you say that you're rebuilding correctly. This is one of the problems of the distance between us. If we were flying at the same field and I actually saw your whole routine etc I'm sure my impression would be different but well... we are stuck with what we have for now!

I think the only thing to do is to review your entire power system and if you can, add redundancy.
How about trying the PowerPoles? You can get a little locking plug to keep the connectors solidly together... they are pretty bulky even in their smallest form but seem like nice connectors (I have 16 of them on a quad of mine).
And your ESC... that would be my next target. Is it really up to the job?
Though maybe, instead of that, it might be your RX2702V with a bad connection? Loose plug from the ESC? Try pulling the RED pin and install a separate 5A BEC (and even a separate battery)?

Quote:
If the helicopter flies fine for 5 flights, but on the 6th it flies 10 feet then just shuts down. I mean, OFF... no cyclic, no motor, nothing.
That to me sounds like a classic case of RX offline.

----

Oh and I forgot to say, I remember the predecessor to the Spectrum ZX80, the ZX80/81, the Commodore PET, CBM, BBC, BBC Master, laser discs containing the doomesday project...(a predecessor of Google Street View!).
So, I'm just a little more ancient than you.
I totally agree with the whole TV thing too, especially here in Japan, I find many more interesting things to do that sit and watch that. It's often on but it's not me watching it. If I had a garage/workshop, I'd be in it all the time too. I want a lathe, milling/drill machine... etc etc... dream dream dream....
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; Sep 07, 2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:34 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
Quote:
So IHWK, I understand where you are coming from, we have two different styles but I trust you when you say that you're rebuilding correctly. This is one of the problems of the distance between us. If we were flying at the same field and I actually saw your whole routine etc I'm sure my impression would be different but well... we are stuck with what we have for now!

I think the only thing to do is to review your entire power system and if you can, add redundancy.
How about trying the PowerPoles? You can get a little locking plug to keep the connectors solidly together... they are pretty bulky even in their smallest form but seem like nice connectors (I have 16 of them on a quad of mine).
And your ESC... that would be my next target. Is it really up to the job?
Though maybe, instead of that it might be your RX2702V with a bad connection? Loose plug from the ESC? Try pulling the RED pin and install a separate BEC (and even a separate battery)?

Yeah, i also posted that simulator video to show that i am actually capable of much more intricate maneuvers than i have ever executed on the v450.. The videos you see of the v450, thats it man... Thats the most i can muster to feel "safe".

It is definitely in the power system... Every time i think i found it.. It appears again. Some random number of flights later. Could even be the RX or pins. I even thought about adding a 3.7V pack to the helicopter to plug directly into the "battery" plug on the RX... I don't know if that will do anything or not but i feel it would be too much voltage going though the circuit? I have never been sure if it was safe to add a pack for the RX only. I did try a "Glitch buster" capacitor in the circuit though. That didn't help at all. I'm going to build the 2nd v450 using the CopterX and basic 40A ESC. See what happens i guess. The one thing, besides the motor that i can pick apart that i'm using different from all of you guys is the XT60 connectors. Perhaps they really just can't output the amperage.

Oh yeah, i know i'm crazy and will fly with broken equipment on the 4f200... I don't think of the v450 the same way.. The 200 is still almost a toy in my eyes. I know that is a reference point in your head from previously.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:43 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,803 Posts
Yep - we are heading in the same direction. Get a 5A UBEC and try that with a 2S or 3S 500~800mA battery securely attached.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:48 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
Quote:
Yep - we are heading in the same direction. Get a 5A UBEC and try that with a 2S or 3S 500~800mA battery securely attached.
Just to clarify. Your saying to simply use a Ubec with a battery plugged into the battery port of the RX? But why would a 2s be acceptable? Sometimes i confuse myself....Because of what i was thinking about the battery added to the RX. I just now realized that if i used the same voltage it would be adding to the circuit in para not series. But If i used a 3.7v or 7.4v it would unbalance the flow of amperage??

As i've said before, my ohms law is a little shaky for lack of use till recently with this hobby. But doesn't it work like water? always flowing though the circuit, but trying to fill the lowest point? I mean, all of it would likely flow to the lowest point of voltage trying to balance things out right? I really forget. But i know that is what happens inside set of cells together if one becomes too low.

Also, since i'm pretty new to the hobby. Didn't we used to have to add a 2nd battery to the RX in the old systems? Wasn't the BEC implemented to illuminate the need for a second battery? If that is the case, does it really matter if i use a UBEC?

I also want to thank you for your assistance and your good wishes. I am a bit of a hot head.. I'm Italian after all. That usually explains it well enough for most people But seriously, thank you for both your assistance and your patience with me.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 07, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,257 Posts
Dudes!

Just rolled out of bed and thought "wonder what's going on in the V450 site". Man, you guy's have been busy! And yes, I read every word.
It is a shame we can't support each other better because of distance from one to another, we each have our own abilities and thought processes we work with and being able to share those atributes more easily would be a plus.
Working in aviation my whole life has taught me every flying machine out there has issues, trust me on that one. It does become big frustraion when the issues are caused not only from poor design concepts but also poor quality control. Finding and correcting those issues creats a sense of pride in one 's abilities as an aviator but also generates frustration with the company that built the thing in the first place. It's the old "what were they thinking".
Anyway, we have to get Integritiy's power down issue figured out, sinse he uses the TX with other ships on the same day, should rule it out.
It seems to be a random issue, I can't see it being battery related because that same battery should have the same failure on subsequent flights and that does not seem to be happening.
If you are loosing everything in flight, I can't see it being a motor because you should still have flight controls powerd up...unless it draws high current at some point powering the system down, but you would think you would notice a higher heat build up on the motor after the event.
If your connectors were the issue you should see arcing or burn spots on the connector contacts and I can't believe Integriy would have poor solder joints so that is ruled out as well.
So if we are looking for the "smoking gun", something that could cut power to everything, the ESC would be a good target. We know they can get very hot and that is never a good trait for reliable electronics.
Would be nice to download the in flight data from the an Ice 50. It would show weather or not we are seeing a drop in battery power at the point of failure or an open circuit occuring cutting power available to zero.
So for me I would bet a bag of popcorn on the ESC.
Integrity and thwaitm, you both have my respect, I can see and appreciate both sides of the approach to our hobby.
If it was truly simple, none of us would be doing it, and flying and maintaining helicopters is as complicated as it gets. The fixed wing side is very different compared to rotor wing. So if we wanted something difficult to do and understand...we found it.
I've heard you guy's talk about it when going to the flying field, the fixed wing guy's kind of look at you with "that look".
I see it on the full scale side as well, when ever we fly into an airport, it's like "the circus just came to town", pretty funny stuff, but I enjoy being "different".

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Sep 07, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:30 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Just to clarify. Your saying to simply use a Ubec with a battery plugged into the battery port of the RX? But why would a 2s be acceptable? Sometimes i confuse myself....Because of what i was thinking about the battery added to the RX. I just now realized that if i used the same voltage it would be adding to the circuit in para not series. But If i used a 3.7v or 7.4v it would unbalance the flow of amperage??
Nooo nooo nooo! The UBEC is a thingy which converts your battery voltage down to 5V to run your servos and stuff. Same thing already exists in your ESC. It drops the voltage to the 5V that the RX and servos need to work but also allows them to use up to 5A at 5V.

Don't whatever you do, try plugging either a 1S or a 2S directly to the RX!! That'll either fry it or your 1S lipo!!

Quote:
As i've said before, my ohms law is a little shaky for lack of use till recently with this hobby. But doesn't it work like water? always flowing though the circuit, but trying to fill the lowest point? I mean, all of it would likely flow to the lowest point of voltage trying to balance things out right? I really forget. But i know that is what happens inside set of cells together if one becomes too low.

Also, since i'm pretty new to the hobby. Didn't we used to have to add a 2nd battery to the RX in the old systems? Wasn't the BEC implemented to illuminate the need for a second battery? If that is the case, does it really matter if i use a UBEC?
Correct, but in this case, we are using it to identify if your ESC BEC is faulty or if it's your battery to ESC connection which sucks. If you have a separate UBEC with a separate battery then if you lose power to the motor but retain collective control we know your main battery connector sucks. If you fly without a problem then it's your ESC BEC which is flaky. I'd suggest using a different type of connector on the separate BEC and really making sure that it's safe from vibration and disconnection.

But writing this... and knowing that the XT60s are pretty good... I'm beginning to think that it's your ESC or your ESC RX connector.

If it still fails... then it might be your RX.

Quote:
I also want to thank you for your assistance and your good wishes. I am a bit of a hot head.. I'm Italian after all. That usually explains it well enough for most people But seriously, thank you for both your assistance and your patience with me.
HAHAHA!! LOL!! If I'd known you were of Italian origin!!! Well... doesn't that just make the picture a whole lot more normal!! I just went all HD1080p!!
You guys - crazy!! I know a few - all of them - nuts! But life is never dull!

It's just like I felt with Viking... I really just wanted to reach over and check his work to make sure he hadn't skipped something daft.... LIKE THE RX REVERSE SWITCHES!!!

You see, I don't get to fly very much so I have to fly through you guys and if you're all grounded or crashed etc... you get how bad that is for my addiction?
Seriously, I felt **REALLY** happy when Viking got his issue sorted out and back into the air. I find it really bizarre how in other thread there are some who get all argumentative. The goal here IMO is to get people in the air safely, reliably and as much as possible.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:45 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,803 Posts
Hi Viking, Good Morning!

Yep - it's like cars or anything - no matter what there is almost always something somewhere where we can find a WTH?? moment... of course it's getting less and less but something gets over looked and bang finds it's way in to the final product.

I think you might well be winning a bag of popcorn...

I had a poor connection ESC to RX on my Quad and I got jitters and wobbles before I got a crash. I think the same would happen here. It would glitch before dropping out completely.

Maybe it's just the ESC BEC getting overloaded and cutting off.

I stare at helicopters too... I just love the sound and mechanics that makes them work. I can imagine for the fixed wing guys that they can wonder why on earth you'd want to climb into something that has so many pieces which could fail... at least on a plank you have a chance to glide but if your tail rotor goes, or you lose a link then in a heli you have to be damned quick since most of the time you're hundreds of feet up rather than 1000s or 10s of 1000s...
I still don't get 'flyingthing-ism' though. I love helis, I enjoy my multirotors and if I had space to fly a plank I'd fly them too.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:20 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Just rolled out of bed and thought "wonder what's going on in the V450 site". Man, you guy's have been busy! And yes, I read every word.
It is a shame we can't support each other better because of distance from one to another, we each have our own abilities and thought processes we work with and being able to share those atributes more easily would be a plus.
Working in aviation my whole life has taught me every flying machine out there has issues, trust me on that one. It does become big frustraion when the issues are caused not only from poor design concepts but also poor quality control. Finding and correcting those issues creats a sense of pride in one 's abilities as an aviator but also generates frustration with the company that built the thing in the first place. It's the old "what were they thinking".
Anyway, we have to get Integritiy's power down issue figured out, sinse he uses the TX with other ships on the same day, should rule it out.
It seems to be a random issue, I can't see it being battery related because that same battery should have the same failure on subsequent flights and that does not seem to be happening.
If you are loosing everything in flight, I can't see it being a motor because you should still have flight controls powerd up...unless it draws high current at some point powering the system down, but you would think you would notice a higher heat build up on the motor after the event.
If your connectors were the issue you should see arcing or burn spots on the connector contacts and I can't believe Integriy would have poor solder joints so that is ruled out as well.
So if we are looking for the "smoking gun", something that could cut power to everything, the ESC would be a good target. We know they can get very hot and that is never a good trait for reliable electronics.
Would be nice to download the in flight data from the an Ice 50. It would show weather or not we are seeing a drop in battery power at the point of failure or an open circuit occuring cutting power available to zero.
So for me I would bet a bag of popcorn on the ESC.
Integrity and thwaitm, you both have my respect, I can see and appreciate both sides of the approach to our hobby.
If it was truly simple, none of us would be doing it, and flying and maintaining helicopters is as complicated as it gets. The fixed wing side is very different compared to rotor wing. So if we wanted something difficult to do and understand...we found it.
I've heard you guy's talk about it when going to the flying field, the fixed wing guy's kind of look at you with "that look".
I see it on the full scale side as well, when ever we fly into an airport, it's like "the circus just came to town", pretty funny stuff, but I enjoy being "different".

Viking
Good morning, and good night for me. Almost time to hit the hay...you know 4am with work tomorrow at 9... just my normal thing. Maybe if i got a little more sleep walkera wouldn't piss me off as much? NAAA.. They still would...

Yeah, about that issue.. The odd thing is, unless it really was more than one issue, and not just always the plugs. It has occured using the stock ESC as well. I might also mention that i have burned out 3 stock ESC with this motor. The hobbywing does not even get more than slightly warm... 105 degrees or slightly more. Hot tubs feel hotter. Same with the motor. The odd thing is after i rebuild it it flies again with no problems. The last 2 failures were on the last pack i had left for the day too... Very ironic being that the first time it was the 5th flight (after cool downs) and second time it was the 4th flight because i benched the pack in question. Sometimes i wonder if i'm like Neo in the matrix and i just willed that ish to happen. GRRR.. I mean i believe in that kind of stuff in reality. Willing things to happen... and the power of the mind kind of stuff. Also collective unconscious and all of this kind of thing. But really....just GRRRRR.....

Quote:
Nooo nooo nooo! The UBEC is a thingy which converts your battery voltage down to 5V to run your servos and stuff. Same thing already exists in your ESC. It drops the voltage to the 5V that the RX and servos need to work but also allows them to use up to 5A at 5V.

Don't whatever you do, try plugging either a 1S or a 2S directly to the RX!! That'll either fry it or your 1S lipo!!

Correct, but in this case, we are using it to identify if your ESC BEC is faulty or if it's your battery to ESC connection which sucks. If you have a separate UBEC with a separate battery then if you lose power to the motor but retain collective control we know your main battery connector sucks. If you fly without a problem then it's your ESC BEC which is flaky. I'd suggest using a different type of connector on the separate BEC and really making sure that it's safe from vibration and disconnection.

But writing this... and knowing that the XT60s are pretty good... I'm beginning to think that it's your ESC or your ESC RX connector.

If it still fails... then it might be your RX.

HAHAHA!! LOL!! If I'd known you were of Italian origin!!! Well... doesn't that just make the picture a whole lot more normal!! I just went all HD1080p!!
You guys - crazy!! I know a few - all of them - nuts! But life is never dull!

It's just like I felt with Viking... I really just wanted to reach over and check his work to make sure he hadn't skipped something daft.... LIKE THE RX REVERSE SWITCHES!!!

You see, I don't get to fly very much so I have to fly through you guys and if you're all grounded or crashed etc... you get how bad that is for my addiction?
Seriously, I felt **REALLY** happy when Viking got his issue sorted out and back into the air. I find it really bizarre how in other thread there are some who get all argumentative. The goal here IMO is to get people in the air safely, reliably and as much as possible.
Yeah, you see! Classic example of over thinking things.. In all my thought process and data flow.... I neglected to acknowledge that the BEC is a voltage regulator to. You see... Ah, well it's late here.

I'm with you on viking's old issue too! I seriously wanted to book a flight over and be like, lets nail this! I also wanted to slap him in the head and say "CHECK AGAIN!" lol, as i'm sure some of you feel with me. I was so happy when he got it working. I had really thought for a minute there that all of us did. Oh well..

O, i just remembered another key piece of info.. My last few failures, my on board battery alarm did not sound. As it usually does not when this particular type of failure occurs. I have read up on the XT60 connectors at some point and found them to be sufficient for the 450. BUT, i'm thinking perhaps because of the method used to "spring" the pin by cutting the X in it. Might actually be allowing for too much compression. Making the pin tapered and only making half of it's available surface contact. Again, i'm switching the connectors out with the deans when they arrive. I'm kind of worried i ordered some bo bo deans connectors though, maybe you guys know or not. But the XT60 connectors have a lot of counterfeits out there not made by JST. Most of which are a cheaper plastic that melts. Apparently the resistance is high enough to melt them. That is not my issue. My connectors came both from hobbyking and helidirect. They seem nice. But my deans are off ebay so.... maybe take a look and let me know what you guys think. Far as i can tell the guy still has not shipped them (ordered on the 2nd) I mean jeez "guy"! I already broke down and reassembled my helicopter at least twice just waiting for you to get around to dropping them in the mail! lol... I only ordered from him because i was tired of only using black shrink. He included both and had 10 pack of male/female. I just hope they aren't crap too.

And about that fixed wing vs rotor. Yeah man. You know what, they are just jealous! RC and Scale BOTH! Because they don't possess the ability to adjust for the rotational forces. They would be too scared fighting the peddles in the rotor wing to even attempt a lift off. No matter how much game they talk! thats my story and i'm sticking to it.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:43 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
When I was flying my helis I would have two 4.8 volt Nicad sub-c 1200 Mah batteries, one in the "BAT" slot & one in any open channel slot. All of this was for redundancy, I didn't want to lose control of a helicopter.

Integrity didn't you change out at least four ESC's?
The only part you haven't changed out is your RX.

I feel Thwaitm is right on, with trying out a external BEC with a separate battery for that BEC. A external BEC is cheaper than buying a new RX.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Last edited by iflyhelis; Sep 07, 2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Error
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:15 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
When I was flying my helis I would have two 4.8 volt Nicad sub-c 1200 Mah batteries, one in the "BAT" slot & one in any open channel slot. All of this was for redundancy, I didn't want to lose control of a helicopter.

Integrity didn't you change out at least four ESC's?
The only part you haven't changed out is your RX.

I feel Thwaitm is right on, with trying out a external BEC with a separate battery for that BEC. A external BEC is cheaper than buying a new RX.
Well, my RX and my motor. Though, it always seems less likely for a motor to go bad without showing signs of of a sort. It will be interesting to build the 2nd one with the copterX motor and 40A skywalker. It's going to be a brand new heli and i'm probably going to sell it to start working towards.. Well, something besides a Walkera.. I suppose if i want a X5 i have to be a little more patient as i build up my battery supply. In the meantime i'm just going to need another 4 helicopters to fly between 6S charge cycles....

But i have a nice shiny 200 size coming up for sale too when it's finished. I've kind of had it on the back burner for a week or 2 waiting for some parts. It will be very nice, thats for sure. It's already pretty damn cool. So that will probably be going out first before i even start the v450 build. It's actually the reason i haven't really started any of it yet.

Anyway, ej189 also makes an argument for oxidation on the pins. Which does happen. But i can't see that being the issue with the RX. Still, couldn't hurt to clean em either i suppose. I wonder if the guy who owned this before me already went though this crap too.

Oh yeah, i just bought a 2702 and 2801-pro off ebay. That should help sort this out too. Going to need those to make the other heli RTF.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:51 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, i also posted that simulator video to show that i am actually capable of much more intricate maneuvers than i have ever executed on the v450.. The videos you see of the v450, thats it man... Thats the most i can muster to feel "safe".

It is definitely in the power system... Every time i think i found it.. It appears again. Some random number of flights later. Could even be the RX or pins. I even thought about adding a 3.7V pack to the helicopter to plug directly into the "battery" plug on the RX... I don't know if that will do anything or not but i feel it would be too much voltage going though the circuit? I have never been sure if it was safe to add a pack for the RX only. I did try a "Glitch buster" capacitor in the circuit though. That didn't help at all. I'm going to build the 2nd v450 using the CopterX and basic 40A ESC. See what happens i guess. The one thing, besides the motor that i can pick apart that i'm using different from all of you guys is the XT60 connectors. Perhaps they really just can't output the amperage.

Oh yeah, i know i'm crazy and will fly with broken equipment on the 4f200... I don't think of the v450 the same way.. The 200 is still almost a toy in my eyes. I know that is a reference point in your head from previously.
Just a FYI.. I bought my 550 heli and it came with Deans installed.

The Deans had only been used around a dozen times, and my ESC would shut down (I quickly learnt how to do Autorotations without sim time, believe me) every one in 3 flights within seconds, or 1 minute if I was lucky.

Now, my X5 (550 size near enough) draws around 70-80A, so this could of had something to do with it, but when I changed to Traxxas connectors (beefy 100A things) the ESC never cut off prematurely again.

A few of us on the Gaui forum over at HF have had the same problem with crappy Deans terminations.

Start at your Lipo connection, then work your way up..

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

PS- Here is an interesting read on just how good or bad most commonly used connectors are; http://www.giantshark.co.uk/forum/vi...p?f=121&t=1486
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 22, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:

AUW...you had to bring that up Not exactly what I wanted to be known for. Pretty funny though, I will have the vision of the sevo returning to neutral after it had already made the correction burned in my mind forever...along with me thinking as I watched, that it was moving awfully slow to make an attitude correction. What a dumb ASS.
When I die and hopefully get to the pearly gates I hope he dosn't look down at me and say "your that dumb A** that reversed your RX switches"

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:02 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
Motor & RX the only two things that have not been replaced, oxidation on the RX channel pins is unlikely. Unless you are only losing contact with the ESC but still have control over the flight cyclic. Just unplugging all of the channel connectors & re-seating them 4-5 times will scrape off any oxidation.

When I worked on large mainframe computers for Honeywell, if we got a glitch on one of our system boards (around 60) we would unplug & re-seat because the gold contacts (256 of them) would oxidize, it would happen every few months.

You live in a very high humidity area & there is a good chance that could be giving you some problems. But how come only your 450?

I say swap out your 2702 RX & see if that solves the problem.

I bet that the person you bought the 450 from had his problems with it also.

Quote:
Well, my RX and my motor. Though, it always seems less likely for a motor to go bad without showing signs of of a sort. It will be interesting to build the 2nd one with the copterX motor and 40A skywalker. It's going to be a brand new heli and i'm probably going to sell it to start working towards.. Well, something besides a Walkera.. I suppose if i want a X5 i have to be a little more patient as i build up my battery supply. In the meantime i'm just going to need another 4 helicopters to fly between 6S charge cycles....

But i have a nice shiny 200 size coming up for sale too when it's finished. I've kind of had it on the back burner for a week or 2 waiting for some parts. It will be very nice, thats for sure. It's already pretty damn cool. So that will probably be going out first before i even start the v450 build. It's actually the reason i haven't really started any of it yet.

Anyway, ej189 also makes an argument for oxidation on the pins. Which does happen. But i can't see that being the issue with the RX. Still, couldn't hurt to clean em either i suppose. I wonder if the guy who owned this before me already went though this crap too.

Oh yeah, i just bought a 2702 and 2801-pro off ebay. That should help sort this out too. Going to need those to make the other heli RTF.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Last edited by iflyhelis; Sep 08, 2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:18 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
AUW...you had to bring that up Not exactly what I wanted to be known for. Pretty funny though, I will have the vision of the sevo returning to neutral after it had already made the correction burned in my mind forever...along with me thinking as I watched, that it was moving awfully slow to make an attitude correction. What a dumb ASS.
When I die and hopefully get to the pearly gates I hope he dosn't look down at me and say "your that dumb A** that reversed your RX switches"

Viking
LMAO!!
Yeah, well you had me totally stumped. Especially after the comparison with the M120.
The main thing is that you got it sorted out!!

When are you going to be getting familiar with YouTube then?