HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:25 AM
Delhi, India
Joined Jan 2007
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob10 View Post
envious....22degrees F outside.
yeah more like 22 deg Centigrade here....just starting with the setup procedure for the V450, will keep you posted of the trials and tribulations to the sound of some nice S&G in the background and a stiff one one the rocks
lavneetgyani is offline Find More Posts by lavneetgyani
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:29 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
82 Posts
OK So much for the tought metal servos on the v450 from Walkera... yes, they're metal... but not all the gears... and the plastic ones strip pretty easy!!! I'm about to order my third set!

Problem is... wow is out of stock and so are most of the Chinese suppliers...

So i've got two questions for the group:

Are there any other hobby shops in the U.S. that sell v450 parts?

Can anyone suggest other servos I could use that would essentially be plug and play without a lot of workarounds?
nycheli is offline Find More Posts by nycheli
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:35 AM
mSR,120SR,4G6S,UFLYS,1#A, v450d
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Found the reference to the belt pulley issue in this post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=200

I think it's the front pulley. I noticed the grit too. I thought it was strange...
kutyafal is offline Find More Posts by kutyafal
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:37 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycheli View Post
Can anyone suggest other servos I could use that would essentially be plug and play without a lot of workarounds?
I'd say measure the dimentions of the stock servos and any like sized digital servo should be fine. As far as I know it has to be digital. HK has some good ones (Corona D919MG for example) if you can wait for it to get to you.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
[QUOTE=badbob10;17356622]Hi lavneetgyani
I am also new to FBL including CP, I've been flying FP for almost a year. I got the V450 for Christmas and have the Wow set up which are easy to program but when I hovered the V450 first time in my living room it was scary, the V450 is an animal.

I'm just hovering inside. we're under ice here in NY.
Happy hovering,
~badbob

Do be very careful about this. I have been hit by a spit out 450 blade before and it was terrifying although I only sustained a little cut.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275865

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386112

Even experience modellers may get seriously injured. A hobby shop owner in Hong Kong got partially blineded while fixing a 450 in this shop. Walkera helis have a reputation of parts falling out during a flight. I certainly had had lots of bad experiences. This is only a hobby, it is not worth risking your life for it.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:43 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,563 Posts
OK I got a TREX belt and it does seem to fit; the tooth spacings seem to be exact. The difference in the belts is the texture. The Walkera looks like a dull rubber with fiber imbedded, sort of like a car fan belt, while the TREX belt is like a high tec black shiney material, more stretchable. It was a pain to install until I figured rotating the main rotor blade to get it started while it was partly on. The rotation pulled the belt on, kinda like I used to do with my bike chain installation when I was a kid. I am going to an indoor facility to test it now. Don't try this at home fellas. I don't recommend it. But I am willing to risk it, and will keep it at a low hover till my Walkera belts arrive.

Hey...it's to bloody hot outside!
It's 86 degrees!!!
Don't you wish you were in South Florida?

EDIT: Hover tested it for about 3 to 4 minutes. The rudder control is superb. I think the TREX belt makes it quieter but I'm not sure. So far it works great. Actually too great. It feels so professional; really quick; just a touch on the throttle seems to bring it up or down too quickly for me. I suppose it is all in the TX controls. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can slow down this beast as far as up and down direction is concerned?
urrl is online now Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Feb 10, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:32 PM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
OK I got a TREX belt and it does seem to fit; the tooth spacings seem to be exact. The difference in the belts is the texture. The Walkera looks like a dull rubber with fiber imbedded, sort of like a car fan belt, while the TREX belt is like a high tec black shiney material, more stretchable. It was a pain to install until I figured rotating the main rotor blade to get it started while it was partly on. The rotation pulled the belt on, kinda like I used to do with my bike chain installation when I was a kid. I am going to an indoor facility to test it now. Don't try this at home fellas. I don't recommend it. But I am willing to risk it, and will keep it at a low hover till my Walkera belts arrive.

Hey...it's to bloody hot outside!
It's 86 degrees!!!
Don't you wish you were in South Florida?

EDIT: Hover tested it for about 3 to 4 minutes. The rudder control is superb. I think the TREX belt makes it quieter but I'm not sure. So far it works great. Actually too great. It feels so professional; really quick; just a touch on the throttle seems to bring it up or down too quickly for me. I suppose it is all in the TX controls. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can slow down this beast as far as up and down direction is concerned?
Do you have a link to the belt that you used? Are all trex 450 belts the same? Maybe we should all replace it with a higher quality belt?
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,563 Posts
The belt was gotten from my local hobby store CT Motorsports. I believe all TREX 450 belts should be the same though. Again, I only flew it for about 3 minutes so take it with a grain of salt.

Decided to check feathering shaft bolts on this brand new Heli due to past experiences of blades flying off my TREX 450. Sure enough the bolts on the V450 were loose.
Last edited by urrl; Feb 11, 2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,563 Posts
The Align 450 belt seems to work fine and does not seem too tight at all. I regret ordering more Walkera stock belts. I managed to fit an A109 body on it but it would hardly leave the ground; the thing flopped around like a fish out of water.
(I broke one of the wheeled landing gear in the process and later replaced the landing gear with stock skids from the V450D01). I was about to give up completely on this hobby when the battery began to die, and as the rotor speed decreased I noticed something as I tried to keep it up. It was hovering! I thought about it; as the head speed decreased the pitch was remaining he same. I then adjusted all of my throttle curves to top out at only 70 and beefed up my pitch curves, and sure enough on the second battery I was able to hover. Here are some pics:

Though the wheeled landing gear looked nice I felt they were untrustworthy anyway and don't regret loosing them much. After more tests and adjustments, if the flight characteristics are good enough I will probably post a tutorial on fitting the V450 inside the body. The gyro is so big certain adjustments had to be made in the body and on the chassis.

Here is a 45 second video just showing take-off, hover and landing. I will do a better video with more maneuvers when I can fully trust the heli, but for now
you can see it seems to take off, hover and lands gently with no problems.
Flybarless V450D01 in a 450 Coast Guard A109 scale fuselage.wmv (0 min 45 sec)
Last edited by urrl; Feb 11, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:04 AM
MSR,Walkera 120D01,180Z,V450
Long Island NY
Joined Sep 2010
104 Posts
V450 in Coast Guard A109 body

That looks sweet. It looks pretty stable, can't wait to see it in action doing some sport flying.
badbob10 is offline Find More Posts by badbob10
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:30 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Hey All,

I just finished running through set up of my V450, I hope to take it out for hover tests today.

Please excuse my noobness, but I just want to be sure on things as it's all very complex to me now. I'm sure if I survive this hobby, I'll come to a point of understanding...

dkfuji, in your set up list, do you mean minus values (-70%, -65%)...? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I have sent my Tx settings to another member here and I thought it might help if I post them here.

Here are my settings:
Revers: Elev - Norm, Aile - Revs, Thro - Norm, Rudd - Revs, Pit - Norm
Subtrm: All "0"
Trvadj: All 100%

Swaats: Swashmix -> Elev - 70%
Aile - 70%
Pit. - 65%
Gyrhld: Gyrosens -> Gyro/Aux2 -> 0: 80%
1: 20%
DR&Exp: Elev -> Pos-0 ->D/R 100%
Exp +45%
Aile -> Pos-0 ->D/R 100%
Exp +45%
Rudd -> Pos-0 ->D/R 100%
Exp +35%
Curves: Thrcuve -> Norm: 0-25-90-95-100
St-1: 90-90-90-90-90
St-2: 100-100-100-100-100
Pitcurve -> Norm: 33.5-41-50-75-100
St-1: 0-25-50-75-100
St-2: 0-25-50-75-100
Hold: 0-25-50-75-100

That is what I am flying with and she is awesome. Make sure that you program a new model number (not changing an existing one). Also, follow the set-up of the gyro very carefully. The entire set-up must be done in order for the 3 axis gyro to work correctly. Hope this helps.

I ran through set up of WOW's suggested setup sheet that accompanies the V450... I'm a but confused on the set up of the RX2702V 3-Axis Receiver.

Verbatim

Step 1: Enter to the setting. Keep the swashplate horizontial and the main blade pitch is 0", then press "Set" button. Status LED will keep red and EVEV LED will flash. Thats the mode of the setting elevator servo travel. Caution: Turn the flight mode switch to IDLE UP, hold the throttle stick at the middle position (Main blade pitch 0"). Don't move it anymore during the setting process.

So what confuses me here is when I press the "Set" button, first nothing happens, it's not until I press the "Set" button again, that the "Status LED" flashes red. It's not until I press the "Set" button yet another time (3x now) that the ELEV LED lights up Green to let me know it's ready for setting. I'm sure this is not an issue, but I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything. Further, what is this "flight mode switch to IDLE UP"...? The F-Mode switch on the right side of the TX has 3 positions (Normal, ST-1, ST-2, I assume), so where should it be for this? Or are they meaning the Throttle Hold switch on the left side of the TX? Either way I skipped this as I did not understand...

It is asked again to have this "flight mode switch at IDLE UP" for the CCPM and Elevator, as well as the Aileron set up, so I think this must be important....

Can anybody set me straight as to what I need to do?
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Last edited by ViperZ; Feb 12, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:01 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
IDLE UP is ST-1 or ST-2. Normally this is used for setup because it will/should have a straight linear pitch curve with 0 degrees at center stick and equal positive and negative max pitch. The 2801pro has a 3 position switch with pos 0 being NORMAL mode, 1 is ST-1 and 2 is ST-2. Your normal pitch is usually asymmetrical in which you'll have less negative max pitch than positive since you're not expected to go inverted and less neg pitch aids in smoother descent and landing.

To enter RX setup mode you hold down the SET button until the red LED flashes. Then press again to start with elevator setup (green Elevator LED will flash). Then hold the stick as instructed and press again to save setting and move over to aileron setup at the same time (green Aileron LED flashes). Hold the stick again and press to save and finalize (both green LEDs will flash).

I would recommend you watch Finless Bob's CCPM setup wideos to understand the whys and hows of it:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692

All, you'll ever need to know is there.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:47 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
^^^ Awesome!! Thanks Kutyafal! I'll re setup the system!

Great link! Watching the CCPM setup 1 now!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Kutyafal, can you please post pics/videos on how you use the small tool included in V450D to check the pitch guage? tnx....
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:57 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
Kutyafal, can you please post pics/videos on how you use the small tool included in V450D to check the pitch guage? tnx....
Yes, that would be good to see as well!

Currently I just run a small rod through it until it balances, I then set it on top of the small disc on top of the rotor head. I align the pitch gauge with my eye ball to the rod/tool. My assumption was that it basically acts as a flybar.