HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Wow! Sounds like a great idea, so what size copper wire do you use to make a shear pin out of?

I just knew these forums would put out some fantastic information/tips!

I have a small roll of 18ga copper wire bought from Home Depot.
I cut a short 1/2" piece, chuck it in my Dremel and with two flat diamond files spin it up and lightly pinch the copper wire between the flat files gliding the files back and forth to get even milling and useing an old unused mast as my guide, mill the wire down until it fits perfectly in the mast pin hole. Cut it to length and your ready to install, takes a couple min. to do. I have made many in my...lets try this mode of flying.
You can find the whole story on the M120 site.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Aug 20, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
What is that thing on your TX? A fumble guard so you don't accidentally hit your power switch?

Nice flying man! Your skies are looking as bleak as mine! Damn weather sucks! But it's better than the 110(f) weather were getting lately. August is the worst! I'm glad your having such luck! It looks like you about hit that tree once there but you were probably miles away. Perspective can be fun sometimes

SO....NOW IT'S SHOW AND TELL TIME KIDS!
Here is a little recipe for you all not to follow! Before throwing away most of last month's and this months garbage i picked out the relevant parts to illustrate just how lucky I've been with this helicopter. You can clearly see the 120 and 200 size main gears and how many of those i've gone though. Most of the 120 gears are for the D05 which are tiny teeth that strip easily. So in contrast to the v450, i have to say... a picture says a thousand words. Keep in mind all the v450 crashes were failures, while all the other helicopter's crashes were "oops" moments for the most part.

Since i straighten all my main shafts myself and often repair the landing skids too, depending on damage. It seems VERY lucky to me that this is really all the main parts i've had to replace.. Oh yeah, 2 tail booms and 1 rotor head too. But otherwise, i never had to change the align FS. Interesting side note, the FS in the new WK rotor head was shaped just like the align FS, previous ones were not a different diameter on the tips, like the Align FS. They were the same size all the way down the FS, but not the new one. It had no Align branding on it either.

So, MAYBE!! i have my issues sorted? Or maybe the heli just felt like flying good today! I flew another 5 packs today with no issues or failures. The pitch control felt good but the head speed still feels like it's slow. I'll be getting a digital tachometer soon, but it's been a real issue finding one that works on a 5 blade rotor. I think i found one that uses a laser that will work on any rotational part.

So here is the 4th and last video i shot of the v450 today. I actually flew 5 packs but because of the rain i kept having to dodge. I think i forgot to record one or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=850wr...ature=youtu.be

Integrity,

Hats off to you man!
A lot of people just talk about getting out and flying, but to create that pile of used parts shows you get out there and do it.
If you don't fly it...you can't break it.
You have some major flight time!

Viking
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
I have a Devo 6 and am thinking of getting a 2702V-D for my kit 450 heli. Any reason this isn't a good idea? I read thru some of this thread and didn't come across anything that said it was a weak point of the V450 unless I missed it.

And while I am here, what is the difference between the 2618V-D on my V200D03 and the 2702V-D. Would the 2618 work in the 450? Pardon my newb questions .

I should mention that I can't do hardcore 3D, just sport flying with flips and rolls and short inverted.

Thanks,
Moto
The RX2702V(-D) has its faults (set button for one) but basically it's versatile and simple to set up and can handle 4A worth of load, maybe more.
Compared to the 2618 it has additional features like reverse switches and limit settings so it's quite a bit more advanced. Also, I'm not sure what sort of current you can safely push through a 2618 but I'll bet it's less than the 2702.
The V200D03 servos are smaller and less powerful than those on the V450.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
Thanks thwaitm. So could the larger ESC burn up a 2618? I'm just learning about the larger helis. Maybe I got in over my head but the Mini Protos is already on the way so I can't go back now.

Been doing a lot of searching and reading but there is a long way to go, thanks for your help.

Moto
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:39 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Thanks thwaitm. So could the larger ESC burn up a 2618? I'm just learning about the larger helis. Maybe I got in over my head but the Mini Protos is already on the way so I can't go back now.

Been doing a lot of searching and reading but there is a long way to go, thanks for your help.

Moto
I don't know if it would actually burn it up but it might fail to supply enough current to the servos while making manoeuvres and give your heli a disconnected 'controlled with string' type feeling rather than a train on rails one.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post

Doesn't tell me the AWG of the copper wire, yes! I saw someone calculate 19 AWG, but they don't make 19 AWG in the U.S.of A.

If that was supposed to be a smart-alec remark in your response I'll say to you Thank-You. & forever not listen to you again.

But if that was some sort of short-cut code that I really didn't understand, I forgive you & please let me know what it means?
It means I deleted my post.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradheli1 View Post
Yup, I have several fibreglass faces for my 450. No drilling!! I have pictures on here somewhere. Way tougher, easier to put on, $12 each, many colors and look way better!http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=445

You just move the rear canopy mounting studs forward to the two forward frame screws and it lines up perfectly! http://www.xheli.com/canopy450.html I was wrong.... only $8 each! The Walkera stock 450D01 canopy is too weak and its dog ugly!
Oh beauty.... It sure is in the eye of the beholder. Because i think every single one of those multi colored "EXI" canopies are pretty damn ugly in comparison to the stock canopy. Some of the lighter 2 tone ones are okay looking. Not that i'm trying to knock you because these are better canopies just because they are made out of fiberglass. But i just don't like the short funny looking "cockpit" area on the EXI and quite frankly even on the Align canopies. I actually think the elongated v450 canopy is one of the better looking helicopter canopies. But the red is just not my color. So i paint mine, along with the skids and the tail stabilizers (fins). I also use packing tape to line the inside to make them stronger. You can see in my crashed parts photo a page or 2 back, that the canopies are one of the least things i replace. Mostly because i can repair them most of the time because of the packing tape and paint. The most they do is split and then i use some CA and touch up paint to keep it looking good.

EDIT:!!
Oh yeah i almost forgot my point in all of that! These canopies are also available. I for one think they are much nicer looking and better quality FG. Of course, you are going to pay quite a bit more for them though

Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Integrity,

Hats off to you man!
A lot of people just talk about getting out and flying, but to create that pile of used parts shows you get out there and do it.
If you don't fly it...you can't break it.
You have some major flight time!

Viking
Thanks man... I think.. Lol.

Quote:

Moto
I don't think you will have to worry about burning up your 2618V RX until you start pushing higher voltages and amperages than what a 450 has. But just the same, the 2618 is not quite good enough alone. First of all, it's unlikely that you will find any 450 size servos that will be 100% compatible with the 2618. The 2702V has switches on the RX to revers the gyro controls in addition to the TX reverse switches that you might be familiar with on the 2618. With out the ability to reverse the gyro throws as well as the TX controls you might have some trouble getting everything working correctly. But just so you know i did try a 40A ESC with my 2612V and my savox servos. They operated and whatever, but they did not move in the right directions. They were not installed in the heli at the time either. I was only testing to see if the 2612 would operate the Savox servos. It did, but thats as far as i took the experiment. I didn't try to get proper swash function or anything like that.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Aug 20, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:53 PM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
200 Posts
I agree, the green one looks way cooler. I'll have one of those on the way! I hadn't seen those before.

But I'm not too sure about the white painted one. Not for my taste. I can't be bothered with painting as I'm still crashing a bit too often as I try to advance my skills with FPV flying. I'd need a lot of paint. In all my crashes, I haven't damaged any of the fiberglass ones... just a few scratches.
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Last edited by bradheli1; Aug 20, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,198 Posts
Canopy's

I'm with Integrity with the tape inside at those spots that need the strength, really helps out...I also keep two canopies on hand...one for photos and sitting on my desk and one for flying.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:06 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Yes, your correct. Same rotor head. But I'm not sure which FS from walkera is the newer version. Being that i don't know how long my parts sat around at the vendor before i bought them. But the stepped end FS seems stronger and has taken at least 2 crashes without any bend. The "non stepped" FS seemed to bend easier. I don't know if there is a metal composition difference or if the steps on the ends actually increase center durability by shortening the length of the main section. Physical properties of metal are strengthened when the length is shorter. As for a replacement, i personally use the Align 450 pro spindle shafts. They are stepped on the ends, but my previous one went though at least 6 crashes and is still straight.

Yes, i use a paperclip for a sheer pin. They work okay copper wire is probably better. I was thinking about getting some 1mm aluminum stock or wire. I belive the stock pin is 1mm so the conversion to AWG should be about 19 AWG, right? what size is your wire? Or are you just stripping and using a random piece of solid conductor you found? Anyway, the problem i was having was the sheer pin not bending or anything and the center hub of the main gear would explode! because it is drilled out to fit the bigger D02S shaft.

NOW FOR SOME MORE SHOW AND TELL!
As some of you may know... My poor experience with the v450 has left me pulling my hair out and searching for a heli with design characteristics that i am happy with. I know the Goblin has been well designed and has been the main heli I've been looking at for a bigger size for a long time now. If anything just for the cool body design and solid tail boom. But it seems that there has been an issue with the heli that is quite nasty if you don't set it up properly. Take a look at this video explaining the problem, then the following video with the setup problem in action... Its quite disturbing to me, being i don't fly a 700. But if this happened right in front of my face i would be scared to fly the damn thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7_qEj6G1o_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=U4d5OR4x6Tw#!

It appears no matter how much or how "quality" a heli is. These kinds of things can always happen and seems to be much more prone to the bigger helicopters.
Thanks for the reply.

I agree... The stepped version seems much more robust.

I get the feeling the straighter shaft is one of Walkera's crafty tricks to make more money out of us, and probably the new revised feathering shaft.

Another bit OT, but related to your search for a good solid performer in the 700 class would be the Gaui x7.

I have its little Brother here, and would never part with it.

The power to weight ratio on this is immense, and everyone I know who owned a Trex 550 sold it when they bought the x5.

Head over to HF and you wont hear a single moan about this model!

My Gaui x5 FES..
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 22, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:06 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
I'm with Integrity with the tape inside at those spots that need the strength, really helps out...I also keep two canopies on hand...one for photos and sitting on my desk and one for flying.
I also have a few canopies sitting around. I ordered about 5 of them and painted 4 total. 1 Silver, 3 white, and i have a unpainted one somewhere too that i was going to paint yellow. I think i will do yellow next? I don't know. I just like white. It contrasts well with the sky and especially when in front of the trees which is where i really mostly have problems. There are a lot of trees here, sooo. But on top of that white is the color of my car and things like that for many years now. So it's just natural for me to want all my stuff white If things go well i might be doing that nice fusuno canopy. I just need to trust the heli first. If it doesn't black out or go crazy. I still need to fix the head speed or pitch response. Something is feeling loose and errati. But it's been flying pretty good. I think i might just have to get used to how it flies like this and hope i don't have any more malfunctions.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:19 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I agree... The stepped version seems much more robust.

I get the feeling the straighter shaft is one of Walkera's crafty tricks to make more money out of us, and probably the new revised feathering shaft.

Another bit OT, but related to your search for a good solid performer in the 700 class would be the Gaui x7.

I have its little Brother here, and would never part with it.

The power to weight ratio on this is immense, and everyone I know who owned a Trex 550 sold it when they bought the x5.

Head over to HF and you wont hear a single moan about this model!

My Gaui x5 FES..
You know, i'm not positive i want to go to a 700 in the first place. But Gaui has been looking really good to me too! My unfortunate events with the V450 have me poking around looking though. Because thats what i do. My v450 is pissing me off, so i'll show it!!!! I'll go blow all my money on a goblin!! YEAH!..... But i've been resisting really hard core lately. So i have honestly been looking at the X5. But i don't think it's going to be all that much bigger than a 450?

In reality, i'm blessed with MANY places to fly, all within 5 minutes from my house. I can stop on the way home from work, or when i go grocery shopping. Just about any time i can just stop in somewhere and fly! It's great having a giant playing field right at the end of my main road, and also right next to my favorite grocery store. But, i don't know how comfortable i would be flying a 700 in any of these places. I would have to get membership at the local modelers club and join up to get access to their AMA registered field. I don't know if I want to go though all that. Even though the AMA field is literally like 8 minutes from my house. I just think the 450 or maybe even the 500-600 size might be the biggest i would feel comfortable flying. Not for fear of the heli, but rather just the restrictions involved and the over all hassle of it all. Especially if I wasn't AMA registered and, god forbid, that big SOB blacks out and decided to go for a joy ride over to the movie theater i fly in front of. Or something stupid. I think i'll just save myself all those liabilities.... maybe.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:37 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
You know, i'm not positive i want to go to a 700 in the first place. But Gaui has been looking really good to me too! My unfortunate events with the V450 have me poking around looking though. Because thats what i do. My v450 is pissing me off, so i'll show it!!!! I'll go blow all my money on a goblin!! YEAH!..... But i've been resisting really hard core lately. So i have honestly been looking at the X5. But i don't think it's going to be all that much bigger than a 450?

In reality, i'm blessed with MANY places to fly, all within 5 minutes from my house. I can stop on the way home from work, or when i go grocery shopping. Just about any time i can just stop in somewhere and fly! It's great having a giant playing field right at the end of my main road, and also right next to my favorite grocery store. But, i don't know how comfortable i would be flying a 700 in any of these places. I would have to get membership at the local modelers club and join up to get access to their AMA registered field. I don't know if I want to go though all that. Even though the AMA field is literally like 8 minutes from my house. I just think the 450 or maybe even the 500-600 size might be the biggest i would feel comfortable flying. Not for fear of the heli, but rather just the restrictions involved and the over all hassle of it all. Especially if I wasn't AMA registered and, god forbid, that big SOB blacks out and decided to go for a joy ride over to the movie theater i fly in front of. Or something stupid. I think i'll just save myself all those liabilities.... maybe.
Yeah, I'm not at all keen on Walkera.

They're a great tinkerers heli, but most of them are money pits IMO.

Just a FYI- The Gaui x5 is near enough 550 size, and it swings 540mm blades. There is a Trex 550 Vs Gaui x5 size comparison video on youtube and there is nothing in it.

I really can't recommend the X5 enough.

Here is another pic of under the bonnet.

All top notch, trustworthy electronics (Scorpion motor, uBeastx, 100A Gaui ESC, Hyperion servos), and these come with the stock kit.

Whichever way you turn, good luck in your next purchase.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 22, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
Thanks guys, bought a 2702V-D today.

Moto
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,099 Posts
Fyi. I love my trex 600! The best part was being able to us the 2801 tx and buy a 2801 rx. Its been perfect! My secret is to have dustin at heli-heli.com build it! Shhhhh

But if u want to stay with the 450 size i hear good things about the blade 450!

Quote:

Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie