HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
I forget where I read it, but! It said you can not use a Walkera receiver & not use a Walkera ESC. It said they would not interact together properly.

Also, when I told you rotor head speed of 2800 R.P.M max, that was for carbon fiber blades only. I don't know what the max is on fiberglass blades.

Different subject: I got my heli back yesterday, Tx antenna got broken in shipment/they sent me the wrong power cord (220 volt) for the charger. Also the battery charging cord/adapter has a open circuit in it so I can only charge one battery instead of 3 batteries at once.

I did one flight with it all of about 3-4 mins. before the motor started to slow down, it was almost like it was on rails, a couple of trim clicks & it was hovering with no hands. So beside the fore/aft pitch servo being wanged, I noticed that they changed out the receiver too. Now this thing does un-balance compensation like it is supposed to do.

It was nice to fly a heli again, it has been 7 years since last time that I flew, & I didn't have one problem flying again, just like riding a bike again.
I swear i'm living a nightmare and this heli just hates me. Because today i used my 2nd stock walkera ESC on this heli, which i added a heat sink to keep it cool. It flew okay, but the pitch and servos still felt weird. It burned up in about 2 minutes. The throttle started feeling weird and the motor was slowing. I landed but by the time i got it it, it was smoking. This is the exact same thing the first Walkera ESC did. SOO. I put the hobbywing platinum pro back on and the heli flew pretty nice again but i would not invert or flip. It stopped short and kind of stalled it's self out like a FP would. So i had to flip it back to get level again. It was flying GREAT otherwise.... if it were a FP.... SOB!! So i landed and thought to myself, the stock ESC flew okay but i didn't try to invert it. So, I put the 3rd Stock Walkera ESC on the helicopter which i had received recently. Flew it for about 2 minutes and the same thing happened again, about 2 minutes and the motor was kind of slowing down. This time i just throttle cut and AR landed, quite nicely i might add! So i saved the ESC i think. I donno. But the thing was burning hot, same with the 2nd stock ESC that was smoking. I took off the stock ESC and put the hobby wing BACK on again. I decided that i had the settings pretty good and the throttle and servos felt good. I just couldn't flip inverted. So i figured, maybe its the RX setup. I went through using 80 - 80 - 80 in swashmix this time for the RX calibration. Thinking that adding more pitch and cyclic response would make the heli flip faster. It sure did, I actually got inverted this time! As soon as i did the throttle cut and i was left AR landing inverted, which did not go so well. I'm about done with this. I've been lucky most of the time to only have to replace a $7 set of blades and a $3 main gear. But i still cannot get the heli to be stable and reliable anymore. The Savox servos might have a incompatibility with the RX as well. I am using a Hobbywing Skywalker ESC with my 2618V rx on my 4f200 and it's been great for months with no failures and only a few crashes. I'm using a Turbo Ace 352 motor on that heli too. I'm beginning to think the servos don't play well with the ESC's output voltage or maybe even the RX pulse frequency. That seems to be the one spec on this ESC that is a little weird. It's at 5.2v-5.3v something like that. Instead of 5v even. Perhaps i should use 6V but i'm positive i've been using 5.2v setting the whole time and it flew great when i first installed this ESC with the Savox servos. I'm about done! I don't know what else to do. I'm probably going to go back to the stock equipment and sell them. I have a whole 2nd v450 in parts in a box, except for the RX and motor. Well....ESC is gone now too.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
The Turbo Ace that came with my Heli from Wow burned up a couple ESC's before I figured it out. Maybe it is your Turbo ace have you tried another motor?
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:45 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
The Turbo Ace that came with my Heli from Wow burned up a couple ESC's before I figured it out. Maybe it is your Turbo ace have you tried another motor?
I don't have another motor to try. I don't know what motor i want either. This one was a beast before. I'd hate to downgrade to the stock motor. In fact don't want to pay for another motor and just have it be the stupid RX and servos anyway. IN FACT i really am considering blowing this thing up! Because there is something seriously wrong with that crap with the servos and RX too. Besides that, the hobby wing ESC is not having any issues with the motor now that i have the battery plug fixed. It's just weird what happened today with how it didn't want to flip then when it was inverted it cut the motor off. That was the first failure on the ESC since i fixed the battery plug too. So i have something else going on with the RX and servos for sure. I just can't freaking figure it out. I'm sick of it. It's not even worth it at this point. It flies like crap anyway as it is. Whats the point of a new motor if the damn thing won't flip. Vikings won't stop flipping and mine just won't flip WTH! Besides that, it's not flying ANYTHING like when i first put the savox servos and new ESC on it. So maybe the RX took to many blows to the ground. I have crashed the god damn thing like 15 times my damn self in the last 2 months just trying to make it work right! POS
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I don't have another motor to try. I don't know what motor i want either. This one was a beast before. I'd hate to downgrade to the stock motor. In fact don't want to pay for another motor and just have it be the stupid RX and servos anyway. IN FACT i really am considering blowing this thing up! Because there is something seriously wrong with that crap with the servos and RX too. Besides that, the hobby wing ESC is not having any issues with the motor now that i have the battery plug fixed. It's just weird what happened today with how it didn't want to flip then when it was inverted it cut the motor off. That was the first failure on the ESC since i fixed the battery plug too. So i have something else going on with the RX and servos for sure. I just can't freaking figure it out. I'm sick of it. It's not even worth it at this point. It flies like crap anyway as it is. Whats the point of a new motor if the damn thing won't flip. Vikings won't stop flipping and mine just won't flip WTH! Besides that, it's not flying ANYTHING like when i first put the savox servos and new ESC on it. So maybe the RX took to many blows to the ground. I have crashed the god damn thing like 15 times my damn self in the last 2 months just trying to make it work right! POS
LOL
Sorry for my smiling face Integrity, but that was funny, your's won't flip and mine will do nothing else. You gota laugh. And you know we just won't stop with this thing, I do intend to go back with the stock servos (should have done that first thing for troubleshooting) for no other reason than"I just have to know why"
I'll let you know if I can make this flipping thing stop flipping.
Another parts order has to be made first though.
We'll never learn.
So yes, after graduating from "Anger Management" class I'll be returning to the "V".
p.s. I think Walkera should pack a complimentary bottle of Advil and a bottle of Scotch in the V450 box, it's the right thing to do. They tell you in the instructions not to drink alcohol before flight....didn't say anything about after.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Aug 18, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:47 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
273 Posts
Your motor may be the culprit, plus you do have to set up the RX pulse frequency correctly and there are 2 choices only on RX setup. The servos are all digital on the stock 450 you can't mix analog servos with digital if you did do that, they say it will burn them out. The stock Walkera ESC is rated at 40 Amps with a very short 60 Amp surge. I am starting to think that Walkera has made it that you need to run a Walkera RX/ESC/Motor only. If you want to run a different motor you will most likely need to change the RX/ESC. I do know that Walkera TX won't talk to (interface) with any other RX like Futaba/JR/Spectrum.

So now this makes them Walkera putting out a proprietary setup which eliminates all of the other competitors. Even if you did change the TX/RX/ESC/Motor you would lose out on the 6 axis gyro that is part of your RX, yes you could get a 3 axis gyro from Align, but it wouldn't be the same.

First, when & where did you buy this helicopter I forget now.
Second, If I were you I would have done what I did, do a credit card charge back. You have to had contacted the vendor to tell him your problems with it, it took me 25 E-Mails to get mine taken care of. You have to return it & have proof you did that, then you can call your credit card Company & dispute the charge. All within 60 days I think it is. Talk to CC Co. & see what the time limit is.

I still have not reversed my dispute yet, until I get my charger working correctly & my TX antenna fixed.

I really feel bad that you have been having so many problems. Let me know what happens.

Quote:
I swear i'm living a nightmare and this heli just hates me. Because today i used my 2nd stock walkera ESC on this heli, which i added a heat sink to keep it cool. It flew okay, but the pitch and servos still felt weird. It burned up in about 2 minutes. The throttle started feeling weird and the motor was slowing. I landed but by the time i got it it, it was smoking. This is the exact same thing the first Walkera ESC did. SOO. I put the hobbywing platinum pro back on and the heli flew pretty nice again but i would not invert or flip. It stopped short and kind of stalled it's self out like a FP would. So i had to flip it back to get level again. It was flying GREAT otherwise.... if it were a FP.... SOB!! So i landed and thought to myself, the stock ESC flew okay but i didn't try to invert it. So, I put the 3rd Stock Walkera ESC on the helicopter which i had received recently. Flew it for about 2 minutes and the same thing happened again, about 2 minutes and the motor was kind of slowing down. This time i just throttle cut and AR landed, quite nicely i might add! So i saved the ESC i think. I donno. But the thing was burning hot, same with the 2nd stock ESC that was smoking. I took off the stock ESC and put the hobby wing BACK on again. I decided that i had the settings pretty good and the throttle and servos felt good. I just couldn't flip inverted. So i figured, maybe its the RX setup. I went through using 80 - 80 - 80 in swashmix this time for the RX calibration. Thinking that adding more pitch and cyclic response would make the heli flip faster. It sure did, I actually got inverted this time! As soon as i did the throttle cut and i was left AR landing inverted, which did not go so well. I'm about done with this. I've been lucky most of the time to only have to replace a $7 set of blades and a $3 main gear. But i still cannot get the heli to be stable and reliable anymore. The Savox servos might have a incompatibility with the RX as well. I am using a Hobbywing Skywalker ESC with my 2618V rx on my 4f200 and it's been great for months with no failures and only a few crashes. I'm using a Turbo Ace 352 motor on that heli too. I'm beginning to think the servos don't play well with the ESC's output voltage or maybe even the RX pulse frequency. That seems to be the one spec on this ESC that is a little weird. It's at 5.2v-5.3v something like that. Instead of 5v even. Perhaps i should use 6V but i'm positive i've been using 5.2v setting the whole time and it flew great when i first installed this ESC with the Savox servos. I'm about done! I don't know what else to do. I'm probably going to go back to the stock equipment and sell them. I have a whole 2nd v450 in parts in a box, except for the RX and motor. Well....ESC is gone now too.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:49 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
273 Posts
You know that on my RX2703H-D & my Devo 10 that it has be setup as swash-plate= 1 servo not 3 servo 120 degree mix sounds real odd but I think it has to do with the flybarless gyro knowing what it has during binding. The 3 servo mix is for a flybar Walkera CCPM swash-plate.

Quote:
Well.. lets look at the slightly nonsensical..

How about your TX settings? Are you still using 3 servo setup? Or maybe did you switched it to single servo mode playing around? That would cause the reactions you are getting with the gyros working properly but once you take off it goes nuts. Otherwise i'm out of ideas... Go back over your TX from scratch if you have to maybe? I really can't get behind the notion that the RX/gyro is broken since your hand held tests are working.... You could try opening the RX jacket and looking inside to make sure nothing is loose or poorly soldered and got knocked loose. Who knows with these things anymore. I wish i could just hop in the car and say "i'll be right over, let me take a crack at it." But somehow i don't think your within driving distance lol.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
273 Posts
I am pretty sure the ins. say push right, but validate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Viking, when you are doing the Flybarless setup are you pushing AILE right or left? Try pushing it in the opposite direction. I think for me with a stock setup I push right. Try doing what you do but just switch it for AILE.
Otherwise... will your M120 Rx fit ??

And post your country... you never know there might be one of us who is close enough.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:24 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
273 Posts
I backed up, way back & found that you bought your V450 used. You can forget about what I said about credit dispute.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
[QUOTE=iflyhelis;22480516]Your motor may be the culprit, plus you do have to set up the RX pulse frequency correctly and there are 2 choices only on RX setup. The servos are all digital on the stock 450 you can't mix analog servos with digital if you did do that, they say it will burn them out. The stock Walkera ESC is rated at 40 Amps with a very short 60 Amp surge. I am starting to think that Walkera has made it that you need to run a Walkera RX/ESC/Motor only. If you want to run a different motor you will most likely need to change the RX/ESC. I do know that Walkera TX won't talk to (interface) with any other RX like Futaba/JR/Spectrum.

I have been flying with a Copterex motor, and the stock Walkera ESC for months with no problems.
http://www.wowhobbies.com/copterxcx2...icopter-2.aspx
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:20 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,888 Posts
I am not aware of any way to change the RX PWM. As far as i know the 2702V has no such options. Besides that, Wowhobbies outfits this motor for sale on this heli. If anything the motor is only part of the problem with the STOCK ESC, which i am not using. MANY PEOPLE fly this heli with the TA 804 motor or other motors. Also many people burn up their ESC with the stock motor too! That is NOT MY PROBLEM for the 5th time... The problem is that the servos (that other people have also used with this RX) are not responding properly. The pitch response is MUCH slower then when i first installed them. I even installed a WHOLE new set of savox servo just to see. It's still not flying like when i first installed them so something has gone wrong since i installed them. So either my RX has gone bad, Is suffering incompatibility with the servos, or the servos are having some kind of issue/binding that I'm not seeing. Because the heli used to flip TOO fast using 70 - 70 - 70 swash mix Now pitch pumps are sluggish, and flips are not possible because the cyclic stalls out half way to inverted and leaves the heli on knifes edge. Forcing me to flip back forward to get level. This has never been an issue for me with the v450 with the stock servos, stock MG servos, or the Savox servo. Till recently.

The fact is that the 2702V is a sub-par 3 axis system. It's only saving grace is that it is easy to use. But just like all the rest of their electronics that are obviously soldered by a 12 year old.... IT SUCKS in quality! Child labor and proprietary restrictions really PISS ME OFF! I WOULD BE HAPPY TO REPLACE IT! Nothing would make me happier! But right now i don't feel like spending $230 on a AR2700BX or other RX/Gyro/TX worth a damn. Then have to buy a DX8 too.. If i have to go that route, i'd rather just buy a REAL professional quality heli. Like a Compass, guai or even possibly a goblin will be sitting in my living room a lot quicker than i planned if this crap keeps up.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
LOL
Sorry for my smiling face Integrity, but that was funny, your's won't flip and mine will do nothing else. You gota laugh. And you know we just won't stop with this thing, I do intend to go back with the stock servos (should have done that first thing for troubleshooting) for no other reason than"I just have to know why"
I'll let you know if I can make this flipping thing stop flipping.
Another parts order has to be made first though.
We'll never learn.
So yes, after graduating from "Anger Management" class I'll be returning to the "V".
p.s. I think Walkera should pack a complimentary bottle of Advil and a bottle of Scotch in the V450 box, it's the right thing to do. They tell you in the instructions not to drink alcohol before flight....didn't say anything about after.

Viking
Yeah man, i wish i could fing laugh. I'm seriously about to book a flight to china to take my frustrations out on the Walkera HQ. Thermite on the helicopter just doesn't seem like enough justice or entertainment at this point.

Let me know how that stock servo issue thing works out. Thats what i plan on doing the next time i have $500000000 sitting around to pay for their horribly crappy servos that burn up and short out even after adding additional insulation (high heat electrical tape) and relocating the wires. Damn things should cost about $10 each for how horrible they are. I can't imagine enjoying flying this heli after feeling what its like to have real decent servos on it. It'd be like going from a Cadillac to a 1982 dodge. There is just no way you can ever be happy again.

Worst part is i have 2 of these freaking helicopters now. One of them is all parts in a box. But there is no point building it now that the ESC has burned up that i was going to use for it and if the Savox servos are incompatible, whats the point?

PS. today i will be trying to fly it AGAIN! for some dumb reason. This time i'm defaulting the ESC's settings. Using the DEFAULT throttle limits on the ESC and setting the BEC to 6v. See if there is any change in behavior. For the life of me i can't figure what would be preventing the heli from flipping though! then brown out once inverted. Otherwise, you know anyone that wants to buy a perfectly good v450 FBL Fixed Pitch helicopter?
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Aug 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
1,986 Posts
I flew once and the rain came, thats what i get for not filming, lol my question today is can i stop the heli from front flipping so fast in travel adjustment , its ok on back flip but it flips way to fast in a front flip, so would i then lower the 1st travel adjustment, ?? Happy flying to all today!
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I flew once and the rain came, thats what i get for not filming, lol my question today is can i stop the heli from front flipping so fast in travel adjustment , its ok on back flip but it flips way to fast in a front flip, so would i then lower the 1st travel adjustment, ?? Happy flying to all today!
Are you using the align servos?

I think you could adjust traveladj to slow travel speed and length of travel in that direction. I just don't know how that will effect the heli when inverted vs upright? I just wish i could get mine to flip! stupid thing.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
1,986 Posts
Yep the align servos are perfect in every way.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:25 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Yep the align servos are perfect in every way.
They are supposed to be the same as the 0257 from Savox, the ones I'm using. But apparently.... well yeah. I must have something else wrong too or they are not the same. I think your using an align motor too right? Grrr. i'd hate to go buying all new stuff and just have the same issue. Maybe it is the RX after all. It's just such an odd abnormality. My camera is charged today so maybe i'll be able to catch some film of it and not crash. Because the last blades i have left are my stock walkera ones, i sure don't want to pay for those again. Well see how it goes. It could very well be the ESC too. But i read somewhere that the Align/Savox servos are not the right PWM for this RX. Though they are digital. I think it was in a helifreak post. But obviously yours are working correctly.