HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:00 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,207 Posts
Tipping over problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Tipping over on ground before take-off. It did this three times. Now I installed and a brand new RXV2702, swash and links. Reconfigured RXV2702 and everything checks out? Using Savox cyclics ( have to recheck servo as the flipping over may have stripped my servos).

Swash level, zero at mid stick and gyro directions all check out durng and after RXV2072v. I even took off the blades and verify that works. At this point I am thinking about selling this heli as it has been a nightmare after I install the Savox servos.

Swash mix 40,40,45. I used swash leveler and zero at midstick.
Pitch is -10,0,+10
Throttle curve = linear
New RXV2702 and setup looks fine.
POTS settngs are set to netural for Elevator/Aileon at 12 o'clock

Afterone in NYC wants to buy it and take it off my hands? I am gettng tire of working on this.

Good news solved the tipping over during takeoff problem. Found got alot of play (stripped Savox Elevator and Aileon servos). Decided to go back to factory parts and got the slightly improved Walkera stock servos. 450D01 flies like a dream now. Will go back to fixing the stripped Savox and will take the recommend setting next time. Swashmix is 60,60,60 and pitch is -10,0,+10.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:21 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I hope so Torchster!! ;-)
Thanks for ESC and posting settings. I was able to get heli going by going with a set of new servos (even though its walkera servos). What a feeling flying 450 size!
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:07 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,875 Posts
Glad you're back in the air. When she's flying well it's a really nice bird...
I just broke another prop on my quad and I'm not at home so wondering if I can fix whatever caused it to flip... always the same when you're away. You never bring the right spares!!! Grrr!
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:25 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Glad you're back in the air. When she's flying well it's a really nice bird...
I just broke another prop on my quad and I'm not at home so wondering if I can fix whatever caused it to flip... always the same when you're away. You never bring the right spares!!! Grrr!
Yep, you need to all spares. Have fun, was looking at Blade MQX, but decides to look a UM rc planes.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:27 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,207 Posts
Non-Walkera Canopy

Anyone try using non-Walkera canopies on V450D01? Sure it'll require some drilling.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:43 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,989 Posts
Okay, i rebuilt the v450 once again and am going to take it out tomorrow. Last failure i had was probably a battery. The on-board battery alarm went off just as i went to do a flip. The helicopter lost control and then came back online. But by then i was already running since the helicopter did a rainbow back and came right at me like a airplane prop! Straight for me.

Surprisingly the damage was minimal and i didn't have to replace the tail boom or anything like that. I have decommissioned that battery. It's one of the older turnigy packs i got with the helicopter when i bought it. I actually drove away with it on the roof of my car and it hit the pavement. I've flown with it many flights after that incident. It's weird it would just go bad all of a sudden just now. It even still holds a full charge. But under a load the battery alarm went off and indicated a problem with one of the cells going below 3.6v.

Just wish me luck for tomorrow. This helicopter really has been a nightmare. I really thought i had licked all my problems with the stock servos, esc and even the battery plugs.Then i get a battery failure on top of everything... It's just not going well... It's a shame i'm so stubborn.

Quote:
Anyone try using non-Walkera canopies on V450D01? Sure it'll require some drilling.
The EXI canopy can be made to fit. Otherwise i don't know of any other brands that match up well.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Aug 09, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:39 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Okay, i rebuilt the v450 once again and am going to take it out tomorrow. Last failure i had was probably a battery. The on-board battery alarm went off just as i went to do a flip. The helicopter lost control and then came back online. But by then i was already running since the helicopter did a rainbow back and came right at me like a airplane prop! Straight for me.

Surprisingly the damage was minimal and i didn't have to replace the tail boom or anything like that. I have decommissioned that battery. It's one of the older turnigy packs i got with the helicopter when i bought it. I actually drove away with it on the roof of my car and it hit the pavement. I've flown with it many flights after that incident. It's weird it would just go bad all of a sudden just now. It even still holds a full charge. But under a load the battery alarm went off and indicated a problem with one of the cells going below 3.6v.

Just wish me luck for tomorrow. This helicopter really has been a nightmare. I really thought i had licked all my problems with the stock servos, esc and even the battery plugs.Then i get a battery failure on top of everything... It's just not going well... It's a shame i'm so stubborn.

The EXI canopy can be made to fit. Otherwise i don't know of any other brands that match up well.
Found that Fusuno canopy for V450d01, but I not going to buy it,as v450d01 electronics are just crap. It has been giving me nightmares also. I'm going over to 450 clone or Blade 300x down the line.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:46 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,989 Posts
Quote:
Found that Fusuno canopy for V450d01, but I not going to buy it,as v450d01 electronics are just crap. It has been giving me nightmares also. I'm going over to 450 clone or Blade 300x down the line.
Yup, i almost ordered one myself. But not till i can nail down at least 10 flights without a issue. Most I've gotten to date is 6. So, yeah, your right to be cautious of your spending due to the electronics. . I just paint my canopies for a different look. Using packing tape on the inside and making sure all of the surface area is making contact will help prevent the crappy walkera canopy from exploding on impact. My first white painted canopy made it though many crashes before it was done in for good.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:19 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,197 Posts
walkera v450d01 3d in the wind (6 min 8 sec)

Its been so rainy and windy in ga. But today i decide i wouldnt care. Its no florida beach wind but i baby my helis in zero wind. Everything was great , im going to have to bring my inverted down closer to earth , it will be easier to see blade angle. But faster to hit ground if i wreck.
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:22 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFeq...e_gdata_player

Its been so rainy and windy in ga. But today i decide i wouldnt care. Its no florida beach wind but i baby my helis in zero wind. Everything was great , im going to have to bring my inverted down closer to earth , it will be easier to see blade angle. But faster to hit ground if i wreck.
Yeah man, those storms suck! I'm not far from GA at all really. Less than 2 hours drive to the line. This weather has been sucking, am I right?

That wind didn't seem to bother you one bit I'm sooo much more scared of the heli at this point than the wind BUT!!! Today i had an EXCELLENT day! I flew my last 3 working packs with no issue! I decided that i had to have something wrong with the setup. The heli just hasn't felt right and i have been having some control issues similar to the others, but not as dramatic as flipping off the launch pad. I reworked the wire bundle for the servos and reseated every wire on the RX. I then went through EVERY one of my ESC's options and made sure they were all set properly. I also reset my ESC's throttle limits using ONLY the throttle 1 port and the Throttle Hold switch as a little trick to deceive the RX and ESC into going into program mode so i could set the throttle limit. Once that was done and I redid all of the RX and mechanical setup as well. I was feeling pretty sure i wouldn't eat dirt again! Once i got to the field it was MAGIC! Though the ESC being set on 0 advanced timing with the new throttle limits was really WAY to slow. It was nothing like the Stock ESC drove this motor. But the throttle limits i was using from TH 2 port was really jacking things up apparently.

About those batteries i mentioned. Two of my Turnigy packs that came with the heli, used, went bad. One will fly about 2 minutes but I've decommissioned them both and just ordered 3 more. The last 3 packs i ordered, one of them came a little weird shaped and always sets off my battery alarm in just a few seconds after take off. Hopefully i get 3 good packs this time

Videos are uploading.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,989 Posts
Okay guys.... I think i have all my issues locked down now. I did some testing after these videos (that took forever to upload!!) I ended up turning my advanced timing back up to 11.25, which i previously settled on in the past. BUT!! Apparently my throttle limits on the ESC were reset and some strange things were happening. After using the TH1 port and tricking the RX with the TH switch i was able to set a much nicer feeling throttle range. After going though the whole electronics system and going over all the settings and the mechanics on the helicopter. Though, the heli has seen better days and there are many damaged/bent parts on it right now. I think the whole frame is a little bit crooked after the last 15 full on, full throttle crashes. These 3 flights (4 videos because of the rain) are the result. Over all, i'm being very cautious. But this is the most confidence this heli has given me in a long time as far as stability in the air and not feeling like it's going to explode any second. Short of a TH switch failure on my part, everything went extremely well. I just hope it stays flying this way and i can finally get some more expensive blades again! I think i want to try the 335mm ones again. If i'm not mistaken that is the stock size is it not?

Anyway, here they are. Mostly boring flights for testing and making sure i'm done with electronic failure.

V450D01 - #1-1 After ESC & throttle limit changes (2 min 10 sec)

V450D01 - #1-2 After ESC & throttle limit changes (6 min 52 sec)

V450D01 - #2 After ESC & throttle limit changes (8 min 12 sec)

V450D01 - #3 After ESC & throttle limit changes (3 min 41 sec)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,989 Posts
The v450 is still flying good. But there still feels like something is wrong with the throttle limits or timing. The motor just revs too much when pumping the pitch in normal mode. It feels okay at 100% flat throttle, but it's never needed to be at 100% throttle to feel stable. I pretty much have to go to ST mode right off the heli pad to keep the motor from revving and when i pitch pump there is a little delay in the punch out. I'd like to think it's because of low head speed and fiberglass blades. But just don't like the revving action going on. I suppose this is why governors exist? All i know is that using the stock WK ESC, this motor used to run harder than it is now. I'm scared to switch back to using throttle 2 to set my limits though.

Some more flight video. A little more inverted flight. At least they aren't crash videos:

V450D01 08 13 12 Flight #1 (7 min 41 sec)

V450D01 08 13 12 Flight #2 (3 min 57 sec)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
On your first two videos in this last post of yours the rotor head speed was way too slow. These 450's run at around 2800 in full throttle stunt 2 so at standard you should be running around 1800 with at least 5.5 degree positive pitch at mid-stick to hover it.

The way they are set up for stunt 1 & 2 your stick needs be at about 3/4 throttle to be at 5.5 degrees pitch.

Have you looked at your throttle & pitch curves? Using a pitch gauge at all?

Also, the gear noise sounds really loud to me, have you looked at your gears for signs of unusual wear?

One last thing, open your transmitter up & disconnect the battery, then tighten that throttle hold switch, you don't need to send that heli down by mistake. & keep your damn finger away from it, don't worry, you will find it when you need it.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:00 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,197 Posts
I just put my orderin for the pheonix sim, i cant wait to fine tune my skills into something worth a dam lol. Finally real sim sticks , ...no sticks on ipad sim,
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:59 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
On your first two videos in this last post of yours the rotor head speed was way too slow. These 450's run at around 2800 in full throttle stunt 2 so at standard you should be running around 1800 with at least 5.5 degree positive pitch at mid-stick to hover it.

The way they are set up for stunt 1 & 2 your stick needs be at about 3/4 throttle to be at 5.5 degrees pitch.

Have you looked at your throttle & pitch curves? Using a pitch gauge at all?

Also, the gear noise sounds really loud to me, have you looked at your gears for signs of unusual wear?

One last thing, open your transmitter up & disconnect the battery, then tighten that throttle hold switch, you don't need to send that heli down by mistake. & keep your damn finger away from it, don't worry, you will find it when you need it.
I know the head speed is too low, but with the problems i've had in the past i need to determine what the actual cause was. The problem seems to be weather or not the ESC's throttle limits are being set properly. If i use the throttle port #2 to set the limits the motor is way more powerful even with the lowest timing set on the ESC. Every time i fly it though, something would electronically fail and bring the heli down. About 10 times now actually. Some of that was my battery plug too though. I finally got the thing to make it though 5 packs by using the throttle 1 port. However, because of the RX's protections on TH1 port the esc does not enter programming mode using normal methods. You have to trick it by using the throttle hold switch. Once i set my limits that way, i was able to fly without any electronic failure. BUT with low head speed. Now i'm working my way up the motor timing to see if thats it or if the TH1 port's throttle limits are just not good enough. One way or the other it has something to do with either the timing or the ESC's throttle limits. I've gone over everything else. like 10+ times in rebuilds..... /sigh

For all i know the motor is shot anyway. The sound you hear is because the E clip on the motor was missing since i got the heli used. It might have came off at some point too, but i don't have another to replace it and can only find C clips as replacement. Still looking though. I'll probably just replace the whole motor before that happens. For now i have a brass bushing over the motor shaft to prevent the bearing from lifting under the torque. It just tends to make a little noise.